Star Wars: The Old Republic

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Red Charlie

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Red Charlie » 29 Jul 2011, 15:26

I have not seen a thread yet so here goes:

If you do not know anything about this game, or have been living under a rock, or generally just do not care until a game is released please pursue these videos first:

http://youtu.be/QyYbvVAtlWk

http://youtu.be/z0RuR3FREFw

http://youtu.be/AMQ51v6Nafo

However a quick synopsis:

Nearly 4000 years before the Events of Yavin 4 and the Destruction of the Death star, the Imperial Army and the Sith were driven from the galaxy by the Republic and Jedi.

For 1000 years the Sith and Imperials built an army whilst the Republic lavished in the throws of luxury and the relative peace that existed. The Sith and Imperial Empire return to take their vengence on the galaxy and claim it for the Sith Emperor.

The invasion does not go smoothly and the galaxy is divided in half between the Empire and the Republic and an uneasy cold war exists between both sides.

You join the fight as a hero, Jedi, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith, Imperial, or Bounty hunter are all up for grabs. You will complete tasks for the Empire or Republic and will shape your own story and own character from the extensive storyline the game boosts as it's main selling point. At comic con I'm pretty sure the main storyline writer said something in the region of 500 hours (nearly 21 days) of spoken/cinematic/interactive storyline is currently in the game.

The game currently has no set release date but Bioware has recently stated that "September will be clearer for an announcement of a release date."

The game is currently on pre-order from local retailers, online merchants and EA Origin download service.
Currently the Pre-order pack, if bought guarantees early access to the game for a head start. It comes in 3 shapes:

A standard pre-order
Digital Deluxe with extra in game items (only available on Origin)
Collectors Edition with in game and real world items

TLDR:
So there is your background:

Who is buying The Old Republic/Bought The Old Republic?

Is there anyone as excited as me about it?

Why has this not already been discussed on these forums? I am very disappoint. (No search results expect for wish list and KOTOR)

Is this my return to the forums?!
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

goat

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby goat » 29 Jul 2011, 19:03

I was initially very excited about this, but the gameplay footage I've seen makes it look pretty much like a standard 3rd person mmorpg. Go forward, stand next to target, hold down attack. It'll get a strong initial following, but lag behind WoW. I just hope it doesn't tank Bioware.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Aug 2011, 11:01

I'll be buying it, I went for the Collector's Edition.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Aug 2011, 11:36

so what happened to the characters from KOTOR 1 and 2? they just been swept under the carpet?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 02 Aug 2011, 12:12

Geoff_B wrote:so what happened to the characters from KOTOR 1 and 2? they just been swept under the carpet?

I just looked it up on a wiki, and apparently TOR takes place roughly 300 years after KOTOR, so it's fair to assume that all the characters are dead now.

BTW, this is also roughly 3600 years before Episode IV
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Aug 2011, 12:16

so all that time playing through the first two games and there's nothing to show for it? i am very disappoint :(

Jostain
First Video: ways to hide a body

Postby Jostain » 02 Aug 2011, 12:43

Well hopefully it was an enjoyable experience to play the games. Thats usually why you play games.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Aug 2011, 12:47

yes but i would like to know what happens to the characters afterwards

semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 02 Aug 2011, 13:41

Geoff_B wrote:yes but i would like to know what happens to the characters afterwards

http://starwars.wikia.com can likely tell you about anything else that happened to the characters.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 03 Aug 2011, 14:28

They're actually canon, if I recall correctly. I'm sure we'll get to hear a bit about them TOR. They'll probably even add missions or something of the sort that relate to them. Star Wars is nothing if not keen on fan service.

I'm sort of looking forward to it. I doubt I'll get it at release, but if the reviews are positive I'll definitely be giving it a try. I really liked the KOTOR games (2 was better, even for all its buggy unfinishedness), but I'm not sure Bioware can pull of a proper MMO. We'll have to see, I guess.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 06 Aug 2011, 13:59

Geoff_B wrote:yes but i would like to know what happens to the characters afterwards

Malak is dead. The Jedi Exile went in pursuit of the Redeemed Revan who went back to the Unknown regions to see what he could do to prevent the return of the Sith in hiding Empire.

300 years later the Sith have returned the Jedi Exile and Revan, presumably did what they needed but couldn't prevent the eventual return of the Sith.

That or there will be interesting plot lines regarding Revan and the Jedi Exile.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Arius

Postby Arius » 07 Aug 2011, 10:51

I saw the E3 conference trailer, I was so excited. I saw the intro video, I had to change my pants. I read it was an MMORPG, I lost all excitement.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 08 Aug 2011, 15:43

Arius wrote:I read it was an MMORPG, I lost all excitement.

Why for?
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Arius

Postby Arius » 09 Aug 2011, 17:47

I'm not a fan of MMORPGs. *shrug*
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Aug 2011, 07:32

See, I just can't wrap my head around why playing an MuhMorPuhGuh wouldn't appeal to EVERYONE. ;)
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 10 Aug 2011, 08:24

It saddens me that I will not be getting this game. I've said this before, but, because of my addictive personality, I should stay away from this game. Giving me the opportunity to play within my favorite universe means that I might never stop. Just a bad idea financially, socially, hygienically, and medically.

Otherwise, I'd be all over that shee-it.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Wiedergeburt
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby Wiedergeburt » 11 Aug 2011, 12:23

I'm actually a little bit exciited about the game. Still on the fence about whether I'll get it at launch, though. I was hoping it was going to be availble on Steam, but then EA pulled it off to put it on it on Orgin. A little annoyed by that move, but it's their product so they can do whatever they want with it I suppose.
Black Wings, Black Words. Winter is Coming.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 18 Aug 2011, 05:30

I've already pre-ordered a Collector's Edition and a normal copy of the game, because me and my boyfriend wanted the stuff with the Collector's Edition, but didn't see the point of getting two sets of everything.

I'm -really- looking forward to the game now, it looks like it'll be awesome! The gameplay that Total Biscuit uploaded from Gamescom looked great! <333
Hurp-De-Durp!
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 18 Aug 2011, 09:01

My old Argent Dawn WoW friends are going to be playing this game and I intend to be joining them.

In the lead up to the launch day the group of us are playing in a SW Saga game that follows the lead in story for the game, with the idea being that as our characters interact in a more roleplay friendly environment, it'll establish character connections that will transpose over in game.

So I'm playing Captain Drathis Kond, silver tongued charlatan who is currently try to get far away from Coruscant after he and his crew inadvertantly handed the Sith the tools they needed to attack the Jedi Counsel.

I think this is an amazing idea, and it's getting me very excited for SW:TOR.
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 19 Aug 2011, 07:49

Anyone thinking about jumping on the bandwagon may want to pre-order, because EA is limiting launch day sales to stress-test their servers. No word on the limit, but if you're not thinking about waiting until launch you might be left out in the cold.

I think my obsessive personality needs to continue to keep me out of the MMORPG space and I figure I'll be busy with Diablo 3 over the holiday season, anyway. If there's a game that might pull me into MMORPG, Star Wars: Old Republic might be the one.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 20 Aug 2011, 00:37

I've been religiously following the release of this game for the past 3 years. I consider myself a rather average gamer, but my interest in this game has been at a possibly unhealthy high. Fortunately, that has been quelled by the sudden barrage of boring adult responsibilities, but I still can't wait for it's release. Collector's edition pre-ordered, bring on the game. Or at least announce when it's coming out. Seriously, my patience wears thin.
thebomba
First Video: time

Postby thebomba » 22 Aug 2011, 01:46

I like Star Wars it's all a very enjoyable movie.
C.H. CONSULTANT GROUP CO.,LTD. โทร. 086-314-6501,[email protected] http://www.creditcashplus.com/ บัตรเครดิต Lotus
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Aug 2011, 07:35

thebomba wrote:I like Star Wars it's all a very enjoyable movie.

Obvious spambot is obvious. No real human would say that all the Star Wars movies are enjoyable. :wink:
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
ammyspears
First Video: Dragon Age

Postby ammyspears » 23 Aug 2011, 00:25

Red Charlie wrote:I have not seen a thread yet so here goes:

If you do not know anything about this game, or have been living under a rock, or generally just do not care until a game is released please pursue these videos first:

http://youtu.be/QyYbvVAtlWk

http://youtu.be/z0RuR3FREFw

http://youtu.be/AMQ51v6Nafo

However a quick synopsis:

Nearly 4000 years before the Events of Yavin 4 and the Destruction of the Death star, the Imperial Army and the Sith were driven from the galaxy by the Republic and Jedi.

For 1000 years the Sith and Imperials built an army whilst the Republic lavished in the throws of luxury and the relative peace that existed. The Sith and Imperial Empire return to take their vengence on the galaxy and claim it for the Sith Emperor.

The invasion does not go smoothly and the galaxy is divided in half between the Empire and the Republic and an uneasy cold war exists between both sides.

You join the fight as a hero, Jedi, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith, Imperial, or Bounty hunter are all up for grabs. You will complete tasks for the Empire or Republic and will shape your own story and own character from the extensive storyline the game boosts as it's main selling point. At comic con I'm pretty sure the main storyline writer said something in the region of 500 hours (nearly 21 days) of spoken/cinematic/interactive storyline is currently in the game.

The game currently has no set release date but Bioware has recently stated that "September will be clearer for an announcement of a release date."

The game is currently on pre-order from local retailers, online merchants and EA Origin download service.
Currently the Pre-order pack, if bought guarantees early access to the game for a head start. It comes in 3 shapes:

A standard pre-order
Digital Deluxe with extra in game items (only available on Origin)
Collectors Edition with in game and real world items

TLDR:
So there is your background:

Who is buying The Old Republic/Bought The Old Republic?

Is there anyone as excited as me about it?

Why has this not already been discussed on these forums? I am very disappoint. (No search results expect for wish list and KOTOR)

Is this my return to the forums?!

Yeah I play this game.
This game was awesome.
Best game ever.
When i'm free i play this game.

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Aug 2011, 03:58

A time-travelling bot from the future! Will wonders never cease?

Return to “Video Games”