Bastion

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Bastion

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 17 Aug 2011, 18:29

Has anyone else played this game yet?

I followed it ever since I first heard about it and enjoyed it to the point where I beat it in pretty much three sittings over two days. This game is great!

If you haven't heard of it or checked it out yet, I highly recommend it! It's on both Steam and XBLA for 15 bucks.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
rippingriley
First Video: First Place: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Re: Bastion

Postby rippingriley » 19 Aug 2011, 18:53

I’m supporting Dave here Bastion was an amazing game. i played it in one day so yeah it is fairly short but it’s an experience that comes along only once in awhile and not like that the Sudo 51 "WTF did i just play" kind of unique experience but the "wow that really made me think" kind of experience.
It’s a truly great game every part of the experience id enjoyable: the visuals are stunning; the narration is a truly innovative way of conveying the story, the combat flows, and the sound track is orgasmic here take a listen.
http://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/tra ... -in-a-rail
buy this game your do yourself a disservice if you don’t!
"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing cars... I wouldn’t know what to do with one if a caught it you know I just do things."
- - the dark night (heath ledger's joker)
Sylval
First Video: fun with microwaves

Postby Sylval » 20 Aug 2011, 03:48

I agree I got the game yesterday and beat it tonight. Holy Shizballs was that a great game. I was on the fence about even getting it and im very pleased to say i was blown away the entire time by how much i was enjoying the story, the environments and by how much fun I was having playing the game.

I highly recommend this game. It has loads of customization.

Spoiler examples below

Potions to buff your character, several different weapons to upgrade, fun and unique special skills, and a shrine that lets you adjust the difficulty of the game by activating idols that increase the enemies abilities but also reward more currency and experience.
“So, what you’re saying is that you have a problem that is totally your problem, but you’d like to find a way to make that problem my problem. But here’s the problem, it’s not my problem.”
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 20 Aug 2011, 05:47

I'm really enjoying it, got it a couple of days ago and just did the bit with the pipe.

Everything about this game is brilliant, and you can really tell the people making it, cared about every aspect of it.
The only gripe that I have is with the ranged weapon combat, in that I can't just point at something with my mouse, fire at it and expect to hit, instead I have to fire at its shadow or a small patch just underneath it in order to actually hit it. That irritated me to no end with the Repeater trial, and I still think that auto lock on with the shift button is kinda cheating, but if it means I hit what I'm firing at, I'll use it...
That's my only gripe though, everything else is perfect!
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 20 Aug 2011, 06:46

See I found the ranged combat really satisfying and had no problem using the lock on, though I did mostly use the free aim with the mouse.
Haberley
First Video: Paperboy

Postby Haberley » 20 Aug 2011, 09:22

I'm playing it through when my sister's not on her Steam account so I can steal it :) So far it's fantastic, and the Machete is possibly far too overpowered for the start-ish of the game!
COW! COW! COW! COW! COW! COW! COW! COW!
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 20 Aug 2011, 13:52

zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 23 Aug 2011, 12:47

holy hell those turrets look game breaking, but whatever it's a fun add in

the game is indeed great, I got it when it first came out on XBLA a month or so ago and loved it, it's a bit short, but worth the multiple playthroughs they encourage.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 23 Aug 2011, 14:20

You can only get them on a second playthrough if I remember correctly.
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 24 Aug 2011, 02:35

Yeah, just finished my first playthrough and no sign of them yet! I'll probably hold off on going through it again for a while (finally got round to starting KotOR), but as and when I do, I'll keep my eye out for it!
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 24 Aug 2011, 08:37

I think you get the Gel Canister as a New Game + reward once you get to the Bastion.
That's how I found it.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Oct 2011, 15:21

I loved the game so dearly. To begin with I wasn't sure about the plot but then I started noticing it. The plot climaxs at a strongly emotional point.

http://grooveshark.com/s/21+Setting+Sai ... NOHh?src=5

Is the song that plays for the credits and I've never heard such a suitable credit song for a game before. The music makes me emotional. Beautiful game.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 06 Oct 2011, 19:19

Oh man, I may have to re-buy this on Steam to check that out. (Why are there so many games that I own on both Steam and XBLA?)

Currently I'm running through New Game +, trying to beat as much as possible with every shrine turned on. Shrine was the first building I built, and I haven't turned any of them off yet... Melting Pot was kinda ridiculous, though.

Also, I recommend buying the soundtrack to anyone who hasn't... I catch myself humming Zia's theme all the time.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Oct 2011, 02:33

I was cheap and keep putting it into Grooveshark because I can... And listening it via that.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 24 Feb 2012, 17:25

Necroing this thread...

What a game. It's one of the few games I've played through in one sitting, and I loved every minute of it. If you don't have this game yet, seriously, just buy it.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 24 Feb 2012, 17:25

I should probably finish it. I was really enjoying it, and then Skyrim.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 25 Feb 2012, 01:51

I really liked how the story didn't seem present at all at the start and then retroactivly starts making things from the beginning of the game matter later on.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Feb 2012, 03:44

I liked how initially simple the story was and then it built on complexity. You only ever hear one voice talking but you get such a good understanding of the characters and their relationships. A very good game IMO.
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 05 Mar 2012, 15:59

Haberley wrote:I'm playing it through when my sister's not on her Steam account so I can steal it :) So far it's fantastic, and the Machete is possibly far too overpowered for the start-ish of the game!

Yeah, especially with the recurring poison timers that bypass armour but by the end of the game I found it got passed out for the fully tricked out Cael Hammer which was just instakill.Did anybody else bother using the special moves that required black tonic?

As for the story, I thought it was a great example of gameplay and story meeting in the middle. Environments were colourful and varied without losing weight to the situation. Oh and the music. Buy the soundtrack. DOO EET!
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 05 Mar 2012, 20:55

My prefered loadout was Cael Hammer / Musket, and I used the rapid fire musket black tonic power all the time...even at the end.
@mhasko
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 05 Mar 2012, 21:23

I eventually settled on the musket (low range/high damage/two-shots-at-once upgrades) for close range, and the cannon (fast charge/homing upgrades) for distant stuff. Sometimes switching it up for the machete (with all the crit upgrades) when necessary. Usually using the rapid-fire musket power.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 06 Mar 2012, 05:33

Season's Beatings wrote:Did anybody else bother using the special moves that required black tonic?

Mostly on New Game Plus on the Steam version, but that's just because the Gel Canister is SO GOOD. And yeah, tricked-out hammer is something, although the Pike's pretty damn good, too. As for ranged weapon? Either musket, pistols, or bow. They're all good to me.

Seriously, though, I do love this game. It's amazing how well they tie everything into the story. Even New Game Plus, if you think about the ending a bit. Well, if you choose the Restoration ending, anyway.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 06 Mar 2012, 13:48

MowDownJoe wrote:
Season's Beatings wrote:Did anybody else bother using the special moves that required black tonic?

Mostly on New Game Plus on the Steam version, but that's just because the Gel Canister is SO GOOD. And yeah, tricked-out hammer is something, although the Pike's pretty damn good, too. As for ranged weapon? Either musket, pistols, or bow. They're all good to me.

Seriously, though, I do love this game. It's amazing how well they tie everything into the story. Even New Game Plus, if you think about the ending a bit. Well, if you choose the Restoration ending, anyway.

I never did apart from a couple of times in my first playthrough when tits became upwardly inclined. For ranged, I was generally musket with the range extenders or the dual pistols since you can spew lead out as fast as you want.

All of this of course is just dancing around the issue of how much I truly loved the story and the characters. I don't want to spoil.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 26 Aug 2012, 18:14

Necroing because I finished this game yesterday and I am FILLED WITH FEELS

I can't handle all the feels.

Zulf's theme tears me up inside. I've been singing it and Zia's theme over and over the entire weekend.

AUGH love this game.

My loadout for most of the game was Machette/Scrap Musket, though by the end of the game I realized the hammer I had fully upgraded but never used was amazing because it could SMASH THROUGH DEFENSES. Holy crap. So now I use Hammer/Scrap Musket.

SPOILER QUESTION:

What choices did everyone else choose for the ending? I Saved+Evacuated.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 26 Aug 2012, 18:33

Since I hadn't played the game yet the first time this thread came around:
My favourite weapon was the machete by far. I upgraded it as quickly as possible, so that it got super criticals, and then got the Werewolf Whiskey (or something like that? It's been a while) so I'd just get hurt down low enough that I always got criticals, and it was amazing. My secondary was actually the musket for a lot of the game too.

As for the spoiler: Like I said, it's been a while and I don't remember the specifics, but I chose the one where you all fly off in the Bastion rather than resetting everything.

I wasn't too fond of the actually gameplay, but storytelling, visuals, and most of all music were top notch. Very glad I got the soundtrack with it.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!

Return to “Video Games”