how possible is it to create a steam discount group?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
zfubarz

how possible is it to create a steam discount group?

Postby zfubarz » 07 Sep 2011, 14:46

I mean lots of games come in 3 and 4 packs now, where you normally get at least 1 copy of the game for free.

dead island for example is buy 3 get 1 free meaning everyone can get the game for 75% of the launch price

this happens a lot, I don't know a lot about paypal, but how possible is it to set up a system like this?

it could also be a, the investor (person who gets the pack) gets more off and everyone else gets 10 bucks off using the dead island example. incentivise the initial investment, and people take turns saving more money.

are paypal fees too much for this to be viable? is this legal are there alternatives to paypal?
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Re: how possible is it to create a steam discount group?

Postby Myrph » 07 Sep 2011, 17:14

I don't know about this exact setup, but if said people weren't all in the same geographic region, Valve would probably throw a fit and ban everyone, as it would be a means of circumventing regional price variations. And depriving them of all the precious moolah.

I think the idea is if you have two or three friends IRL who are also interested in the game you can band up and get it for cheap, or you have three friends who share a birthday who also happen to be nerds and share your impeccable taste in video games, then it makes your life easier for buying gifts.

I'm sure there are groups that do it though, and I think if you're just doing bank transfers rather than taking donations, I don't think the Paypal rates are terribly extortionate, though I may be wrong on that front.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Sep 2011, 17:16

Paypal rates are still annoying, and can stack up over time.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 07 Sep 2011, 17:34

I don't recall ever seeing anything about not doing it in the TOU but I've never read it over too carefully.
besides they're essentially paving the way for used games sales with this inventory stuff, so they better expect behaviour like this.
are there alternatives to paypal?
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 07 Sep 2011, 19:25

Here's the deal I've learnt about paypal...

If you set up a donation button, that is a "professional" transaction and has fees applied to it.

If you have a paypal and send money to another paypal as a "personal gift", then there are no fees applied.

So that's a way to save $0.50 ;)
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 07 Sep 2011, 19:55

good to know

Return to “Video Games”