3d artists/programmers/anyone with any experience ho!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

3d artists/programmers/anyone with any experience ho!

Postby Highlander » 05 Oct 2011, 13:32

I have an idea for a game...

and to those who have stayed after reading that sentence. I thank you. So I want to create a MMORTS based on the Lua engine. I have an idea for a premise and general ideas about mechanics. I even drew some concept art, it is terrible but gives a decent idea of what I'm looking for.

:oops: But I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to coding or most art programs. If you don't want to participate but know how to code, any tutorials you could give or point me towards good ones would be greatly appreciated.
SecretsOfMoon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: 3d artists/programmers/anyone with any experience ho!

Postby SecretsOfMoon » 09 Oct 2011, 08:28

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/ ought to be a good place to start. As for actually learning to program in the language of your choise, I'd recommend getting a book or nine on the subject.

Someone's going to disagree, but if you want to do some serious programming, learn c++. It's the single most widely used language out there and it also is a good basis for learning other programming laguages. Most notably Java and php by in large base their syntax on c/c++. There, I think that's enough to get everyone horribly confused.

-Dr. Vitriol
I am the bearer of Sitra Ahra, the one who stands at the gates of Qliphoth, I am Maskim Xul.
4861696c20536174616e21
Depressive Realism Now!
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 09 Oct 2011, 18:55

C# is better for object oriented programming such as game design.

Unity3D is a good engine, if expensive to get all the features for.

Blender is a great free program for 3D modeling. Easy to use too:

H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 09 Oct 2011, 19:18

Arius, it REALLY depends. C++ is more efficient, C# is easier to make portable, assuming you use mono. However, if you know nothing about programming, maybe jumping straight into game design is a poor idea...
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 10 Oct 2011, 03:30

Highlander, one option could be to take a course or two in Game Design. If you want to learn to code, that is. If you're just looking to be a creative and organisational lead then I guess you probably don't need to.

I'm, uh.. teaching myself to be better at using Photoshop, so if you want I can try and make some production art and design some stuff, and maybe do some promo art. But only if you can maintain your drive and enthusiasm for this project.

I've thought about making a game myself, you see, and asked on this forum for interested parties. Problem is; I'm not very good at focussing myself, and it's been.. damn, it's nearly been a year since I posted my ideas. I may get back to them sometime in the coming months, but for now.. I need to learn to stay motivated.

I guess what I'm saying is; I can help you, but only if you're willing to be a "manager/producer" type, and keep things going.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 11 Oct 2011, 17:03

Personally, I've always had better experiences with C# (and proprietary languages based off of it) over C++ for game design. Maybe it's because that's what I learned on. *shrug*
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Postby Highlander » 12 Oct 2011, 01:14

The Jester wrote:Highlander, one option could be to take a course or two in Game Design. If you want to learn to code, that is. If you're just looking to be a creative and organisational lead then I guess you probably don't need to.

I'm, uh.. teaching myself to be better at using Photoshop, so if you want I can try and make some production art and design some stuff, and maybe do some promo art. But only if you can maintain your drive and enthusiasm for this project.

I've thought about making a game myself, you see, and asked on this forum for interested parties. Problem is; I'm not very good at focussing myself, and it's been.. damn, it's nearly been a year since I posted my ideas. I may get back to them sometime in the coming months, but for now.. I need to learn to stay motivated.

I guess what I'm saying is; I can help you, but only if you're willing to be a "manager/producer" type, and keep things going.

I am in the midst of several massive chunks of college work but I am still thinking about this project. If I can figure out how to use my terrible, terrible scanner I'll PM you some of the art I've done. BTW its goddamn aweful.

The basic idea is a steampunk airship rts using 3d movement and things. It should be cool, I'm going for a very hard and gritty asthetic.

Return to “Video Games”