Final Fantasy XIV

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Dibria » 14 Oct 2011, 03:03

So, a *year* after making it free to play squeenix is reintroducing charges to FFXIV;

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/

I'll still play but evidently I'm a glutton for punishment as someone who actually likes the game... And XIII for that matter.

Thoughts on this 'shocking' news?
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Darkobra » 14 Oct 2011, 04:03

Final Fantasy's always been about story to me. As such, the series died at 9. Maybe 10. The fact that they're trying to squeeze money out of us with Grindal Fantasy is just desperation. REMAKE FF7 FOR PS3! YOU'LL BE TRILLIONAIRES!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 14 Oct 2011, 04:20

11 had the best and most complete well rounded story of any final fantasy
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Oct 2011, 04:46

Darkobra wrote:Final Fantasy's always been about story to me. As such, the series died at 9. Maybe 10. The fact that they're trying to squeeze money out of us with Grindal Fantasy is just desperation. REMAKE FF7 FOR PS3! YOU'LL BE TRILLIONAIRES!

9 was the last best Final Fantasy. I enjoyed X-2 but I wouldn't say it was the best.

Also wasn't a lot of this covered in the Checkpoint thread for ep 22?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 14 Oct 2011, 04:57

Geoff_B wrote:
Darkobra wrote:Final Fantasy's always been about story to me. As such, the series died at 9. Maybe 10. The fact that they're trying to squeeze money out of us with Grindal Fantasy is just desperation. REMAKE FF7 FOR PS3! YOU'LL BE TRILLIONAIRES!

9 was the last best Final Fantasy. I enjoyed X-2 but I wouldn't say it was the best.

This news is from the last day or so, I'm pretty sure the reintroduction of fees hasn't been covered but yes, generally FFXIV discussion has.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 14 Oct 2011, 04:59

Why the hate on X? I thought that one had a great story.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 14 Oct 2011, 05:15

The ending!

Oh and I love FF9. It's the last true FF in my eyes. 10 just ended horribly, both story AND boss battle.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Oct 2011, 08:45

Dibria wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:

This news is from the last day or so, I'm pretty sure the reintroduction of fees hasn't been covered but yes, generally FFXIV discussion has.

Oh I'm sorry I misread "charges" as "changes"... I'm going blind.

And I hated X for a large number of reasons which everyone else would probably disagree with, mostly revolving around the story. But that's not for here. I'm just glad X-2 came out to fix it.

Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 14 Oct 2011, 09:15

Ok, firstly, wow .... I think the only person actually on topic here is Dibria .... and he made the thread!

While to an extent I can get why they'd want to reintroduce fees as soon as possible - I don't necessarily agree that they're doing it at the right time despite their recent MASSIVE patch of the game. If they're 100% certain that all bugs have been fixed etc. etc. then fair play to them but from what I've heard it's still a little hit and miss. Still, perhaps that will change between now and the reintroduction period?

Also ... to toss my hat into the ring on what can only be described as one huge ass can-o-worms ... Final Fantasy VII was perhaps the best as far as actual plot was concerned with Final Fantasy VIII & IX being close seconds. The only real object I had to XII was that the plot was perhaps a tad too politically focused and the PC you control, Vaan, wasn't even the main character (technically speaking)!

Now please folks - can we get back to the actual topic? Thanks! :mrgreen:
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 14 Oct 2011, 09:23

A wise man said at the start of the thread: "The fact that they're trying to squeeze money out of us with Grindal Fantasy is just desperation."
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 14 Oct 2011, 09:27

Dibria: Did you play XI? if so how is it comparatively?
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 14 Oct 2011, 09:31

Rikadyn wrote:Dibria: Did you play XI? if so how is it comparatively?

I didn't play XI but from what I have heard the feelings of the people that did are mixed, some praising that crafting is no longer 'put 3x and 2y in to get z out' and others criticising that you now have to go through a lengthy sequence for each thing you craft (to give one example).

It's my understanding that Squeenix promised when XIV came out that there would be a way to transfer you character from XI to XIV but to my knowledge none has yet to appear.

If you're interested you may as well just give it a go, it's dirt cheap at the moment and 30 days is easily enough to decide it's a pile of poo if it's not your thing.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 14 Oct 2011, 09:37

Dibria wrote:

I didn't play XI but from what I have heard the feelings of the people that did are mixed, some praising that crafting is no longer 'put 3x and 2y in to get z out' and others criticising that you now have to go through a lengthy sequence for each thing you craft (to give one example).

It's my understanding that Squeenix promised when XIV came out that there would be a way to transfer you character from XI to XIV but to my knowledge none has yet to appear.

If you're interested you may as well just give it a go, it's dirt cheap at the moment and 30 days is easily enough to decide it's a pile of poo if it's not your thing.

Yea, crafting was a pain but then i was something like 50 woodworking just to help my fishing.

Squeenix never said anything like that, but people just assumed that they would for whatever reason ignoring the fact that it was going to be a completely different game and system. I mean honsestly if they were just going to let you keep your character it'd of just been an expansion of XI.

I'll prolly pick it up once I replace this laptop, running the benchmark for Beta on XIV it managed to score like 200...at the best of times.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 14 Oct 2011, 09:46

Rikadyn wrote:
Dibria wrote:

Yea, crafting was a pain but then i was something like 50 woodworking just to help my fishing.

Squeenix never said anything like that, but people just assumed that they would for whatever reason ignoring the fact that it was going to be a completely different game and system. I mean honsestly if they were just going to let you keep your character it'd of just been an expansion of XI.

I'll prolly pick it up once I replace this laptop, running the benchmark for Beta on XIV it managed to score like 200...at the best of times.

Haha, yes, I know a few people have had that problem, game is *gorgeous* but it is a resource hog - I have 8gb ram, a 2.8 Quad i5 and a GTX 560ti and it runs a little less than half spec and still stutters every now and then :?:

Worst part of that is I scored something like 5499 in the benchmark - I was one point off 'the game will run well at full settings', though I suspect the weak link maybe that I'm having to run it off my storage drive for space which is a WD green so quite slow.

/kind of pointless computer spec rant.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Oct 2011, 15:30

Darkobra wrote:A wise man said at the start of the thread: "The fact that they're trying to squeeze money out of us with Grindal Fantasy is just desperation."

Must have been a very wise man. So nice of you to quote him for us :D

Dibria

Postby Dibria » 28 Jul 2012, 01:50

So XIV is finally approaching 2.0 and it's rerelease.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/

As someone that plays the game I have mixed feelings on this, in particular that the trailer has no actual gameplay in it, anyone going to give the game a go when they release 2.0?

...?

*sigh* nevermind.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 28 Jul 2012, 02:46

I might but I really don't have the time for an MMO these days. I honestly have no idea how I even hit level cap in TERA.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 28 Jul 2012, 11:58

Dibria wrote:So XIV is finally approaching 2.0 and it's rerelease.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/

As someone that plays the game I have mixed feelings on this, in particular that the trailer has no actual gameplay in it, anyone going to give the game a go when they release 2.0?

...?

*sigh* nevermind.

Still waiting to replace this laptop lol. If it ever launches for the PS3 i'll get it there, or when i build the desktop i have spec'd out
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 28 Jul 2012, 13:26

If they actually use "Answers" properly I might consider getting it. It's an awesome song

Dibria

Postby Dibria » 28 Jul 2012, 14:34

Rikadyn wrote:
Still waiting to replace this laptop lol. If it ever launches for the PS3 i'll get it there, or when i build the desktop i have spec'd out

The release of the PS3 version is scheduled for the same time as 2.0, they put it off to until the engine change was ready and the lodestone 'letter from the producer' has it slated for the end of this year.

Geoff_B wrote:If they actually use "Answers" properly I might consider getting it. It's an awesome song

The soundtrack in general is amazing for XIV, it was pretty much the only thing that was praised on its release other than it being quite pretty. I had both soundtrack CDs imported via playasia :)
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 28 Jul 2012, 15:00

I bought the OSTs for XII, XIII and XIII-2 from an Ebay seller. I looked at the XIV osts but it seems there are only 2 CDs with 8 tracks each?

EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 28 Jul 2012, 15:02

I think I still have my FF9 OST somewhere...
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 29 Jul 2012, 00:57

Indeed, there is 'Battle Music' and 'Field Music', they don't contain all the music but they contain the best of it. It's worth mentioning XIV's soundtrack was made by Nubuo Uematsu whom also did the soundtracks for Final Fantasies II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI and XII - he is awesome.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 29 Jul 2012, 02:10

Nobuo! And he actually stopped after 9. People just remixed his work but as the original composer he was still credited.

10 was Masashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano.
11 was Naoshi Mizuta and Kumi Tanioka.
12's main composer was Hitoshi Sakimoto.

And I knew he stopped after 9 just because the style changed. I had to look at the albums to get the names of the newer composers.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 29 Jul 2012, 06:03

Actually, Nobuo composed 29 tracks for FFX, and had a hand in XI, XII and in XIII-2 he's credited for the Chocobo tracks.

Return to “Video Games”