Sonic Generations is. . .AWESOME!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
sleepingzombieXD
First Video: lost planet

Sonic Generations is. . .AWESOME!

Postby sleepingzombieXD » 06 Nov 2011, 10:37

My thougts below, only my opinion but I´m quite adamant about it.

To put it simple: The game takes what was good and ditched what was bad with all the previus Sonic games. Though to be sure, play it with a 360 controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ExA5GOacY

There is something here for those that like Sonic in the newer "Adventure" games and those that prefer his incarnation on the Sega Megadrive sytem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ytKH1QNv4

As Classic Sonic the platforming is simple, yet fun and compelling, something akin to Mario. Classic Sonic´s controlls are simple, suited for his old, tested foes and his true 2D-levels. If you like me were born in the 90´s (91 infact) you remember the crab robots, wasp drones and those sharkbots in the first level of Green Zone. Their´e all there, reinvigorated and sprused up with new aesthethics that are delivered unto your monitor of choice as you sit with your jaw dropps to the floor, repetatedly.

As Adventure Sonic, the levels are polished, your failures are more due to your own inability to use the tools the developer given you, the controlls, than poor level design. You blast through all your favorite stages, suited for high speed. Your dash along the windows of a skyscraper at supersonic speed, jump off, and continue racing on by homeing onto the next enemy.

Also, do you remember the Boss battles from Old Sonic, and the Duels from Adventure?, do you remember facing of against Metal Sonic?. The boss batles works are solid.

Something about the controlls:

You can tap R1, and L1, to do a quick sidestep, good for "changing lanes"

Youn press the R&L trigger to make a "slide dash" like in Mario Kart, for quick turns at high speed.

Rest is the best of Old and New Sonic.

About story:

The story is simple and does what works best for a Sonic game; Not pretending to be a Final Fantasy game, they even poke some fun at previus games like Sonic and The Dark Knight. The voice acting is good, The new voice for Sonic finally found the right tone. Actually he says just as much as he should and that goes for the rest of the characters.

It´s like those games you got with your console, containing lots of old sonic games, just much, much better. In generations you have, Classic Sonic, Adventure Sonic, pinball and lots more. Theres actualy a metagame where you Platform in as you select stage. You have to make it to the new area to enter the stage. When you´r done you challanges to do, and when THOSE are done, you are rewarded with concept art you have to race after and catch, in this Meta-platform-level.

. . .There are alot of them. Around 7 for one stage. Each Sonic gets his own set. None of them are shallow, each throws a wrench in the mecanics of the level.

So far I have done 4 levels, + 2 bosses, and 12 challanges in around a day, so.. . .

4 # 7=28#2= 56.

There IS Content In This Game, And It Is Fun To Play

I played mine on the PC.
Last edited by sleepingzombieXD on 08 Nov 2011, 03:20, edited 3 times in total.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Re: Sonic Generations is. . .AWESOME!

Postby phlip » 07 Nov 2011, 05:39

I do have to say, Sega may have finally figured out what it takes to make a 3D Sonic game fun. And, as I've said elsewhere, I'm happy for Sonic Team to milk the nostalgia cow as hard as they can, if it gives them the opportunity to remember what it was that made the old Sonic games worth being nostalgic about.

Ultimately, the gameplay in the old Sonic games was about running forward at high speeds, relying on either reflexes or memorisation to get past obstacles. And sure, you could take the levels at a slower pace... and if you did so, you'd probably find secret areas and shortcuts (which would make your future high-speed runs even faster), but it's not necessary. And the same is true for the 3D levels in Generations... you're mostly just running along a long strip of ground. And sure, you can now dodge left and right in addition to the usual jumping, but you're still fundamentally just running forward for the most part. And it works. And it's fun.

This is as opposed to, say, Sonic 2006, which took a more 3D-Mario-game-like approach - you have a open-form map which you have to run around and try to find the goal. And even when you're in a linear path, each room still involves much running around in an open area. And it just doesn't fit. In Generations, though, the style feels right, the controls are tight, and while there is the odd glitch or two, it's much smoother than a lot of other perfectly good games. (Previously that sentence said "than other Sonic games", but that sounded too much like damning by faint praise.)

So, to recap: Sonic 2006 was a complete trainwreck, to the point where it seems even Sonic Team managed to notice. I never played Unleashed, but from my impressions from the pokecapn LP of it, it sounds like the daytime normal-Sonic bits were starting to get the idea of the long-thin-strip-at-high-speed design, and by all reports were actually fun, while the nighttime wolf-Sonic bits were the same grind. Sonic Colours is starting to get good, but the weighting is a little bit too much jumping-puzzle, a little bit too little high-speed running. Generations seems to have gotten the mix just perfect. And I hope they learn from this and keep the pattern going.

So far it seems a bit on the easy side, but I've only played the first 4 zones (out of 9), so the difficulty probably picks up in the later levels. And despite only having played 4 zones, there's a lot of stuff in there for a 100%er like myself... each zone has two acts, one in each mode, which are mandatory, but within each act there's 5 hidden collectables that are optional. Then for each zone there's 10 missions (5 for each mode) that are either the same act with some extra challenges, or a different layout in the same map, and you only have to beat one of those 10, the rest are optional. And in every set of 3 zones there's a mandatory boss fight you need to beat to continue, and a semi-optional boss fight which you need to get all the emeralds and unlock the final stage and good ending. And every level has an entirely-for-show ranking system, and S-ranking every level is also entirely optional. So while I've spent quite a few hours on the game already, most of that has been spent trying to 100% the first zone (still trying to S-rank a couple of the missions...).

So yeah, aside for the occasional rage moment, I've enjoyed it, and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the old Sonic games.

I'm also meaning to try out the 3DS version at some point, since from what I understand it's different to the real version (different levels, and the modern levels are 2.5D Sonic-Rush-style levels rather than 3D ones), so I don't know if it's as good. The other Rush games were decent though, so I have reasonably high hopes.

[edit] Holy crap that's a lot of words. It... it seemed shorter when I was typing it...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
sleepingzombieXD
First Video: lost planet

Postby sleepingzombieXD » 08 Nov 2011, 03:18

phlip wrote:I do have to say, Sega may have finally figured out what it takes to make a 3D Sonic game fun. And, as I've said elsewhere, I'm happy for Sonic Team to milk the nostalgia cow as hard as they can, if it gives them the opportunity to remember what it was that made the old Sonic games worth being nostalgic about.

Ultimately, the gameplay in the old Sonic games was about running forward at high speeds, relying on either reflexes or memorisation to get past obstacles. And sure, you could take the levels at a slower pace... and if you did so, you'd probably find secret areas and shortcuts (which would make your future high-speed runs even faster), but it's not necessary. And the same is true for the 3D levels in Generations... you're mostly just running along a long strip of ground. And sure, you can now dodge left and right in addition to the usual jumping, but you're still fundamentally just running forward for the most part. And it works. And it's fun.

This is as opposed to, say, Sonic 2006, which took a more 3D-Mario-game-like approach - you have a open-form map which you have to run around and try to find the goal. And even when you're in a linear path, each room still involves much running around in an open area. And it just doesn't fit. In Generations, though, the style feels right, the controls are tight, and while there is the odd glitch or two, it's much smoother than a lot of other perfectly good games. (Previously that sentence said "than other Sonic games", but that sounded too much like damning by faint praise.)

So, to recap: Sonic 2006 was a complete trainwreck, to the point where it seems even Sonic Team managed to notice. I never played Unleashed, but from my impressions from the pokecapn LP of it, it sounds like the daytime normal-Sonic bits were starting to get the idea of the long-thin-strip-at-high-speed design, and by all reports were actually fun, while the nighttime wolf-Sonic bits were the same grind. Sonic Colours is starting to get good, but the weighting is a little bit too much jumping-puzzle, a little bit too little high-speed running. Generations seems to have gotten the mix just perfect. And I hope they learn from this and keep the pattern going.

So far it seems a bit on the easy side, but I've only played the first 4 zones (out of 9), so the difficulty probably picks up in the later levels. And despite only having played 4 zones, there's a lot of stuff in there for a 100%er like myself... each zone has two acts, one in each mode, which are mandatory, but within each act there's 5 hidden collectables that are optional. Then for each zone there's 10 missions (5 for each mode) that are either the same act with some extra challenges, or a different layout in the same map, and you only have to beat one of those 10, the rest are optional. And in every set of 3 zones there's a mandatory boss fight you need to beat to continue, and a semi-optional boss fight which you need to get all the emeralds and unlock the final stage and good ending. And every level has an entirely-for-show ranking system, and S-ranking every level is also entirely optional. So while I've spent quite a few hours on the game already, most of that has been spent trying to 100% the first zone (still trying to S-rank a couple of the missions...).

So yeah, aside for the occasional rage moment, I've enjoyed it, and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the old Sonic games.

I'm also meaning to try out the 3DS version at some point, since from what I understand it's different to the real version (different levels, and the modern levels are 2.5D Sonic-Rush-style levels rather than 3D ones), so I don't know if it's as good. The other Rush games were decent though, so I have reasonably high hopes.

[edit] Holy crap that's a lot of words. It... it seemed shorter when I was typing it...

It does get harder, and for my part the best part in the game is when you´re sonicbooming down a highway "drifting" through a tight curve and proceed to run up a sky-scraper. Oh and every boss battle have a "hard mode"
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 09 Nov 2011, 21:16

I'll be honest, I REALLY enjoyed this game...

...But only because of the Modern Sonic levels. The blending of side-scrolling with twitch based boosting/trick nailing/homing attack sequences IMHO, was pure bliss. Occasionally frustrating, but still SO satisfying.

The first time I discovered the shortcut in Green Hill Zone that made me cut down over THIRTY SECONDS on my overall time was like a revelation or a stroke of genius. I burned through the other genesis era levels quickly.

Speed Highway was fun, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped and then...

City Escape. Oh dear GOD it was so BEAUTIFUL. I don't think I've had a nostalgia bomb hit me that hard in a while, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't sing along to the song playing in the background...

Follow meeeee, set me freeeeee, trust me and we wi- Okay, not doing that again.

So, basically, I loved the modern sonic levels. It shows how to do modern sonic gameplay RIGHT for fucks sake, WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?!

I can't say I'll throw a fit if we never see classic sonic levels again, but I'll be pissed if Sonic Team doesn't learn from what they did right with modern sonic in Generations and manages to fuck it up somehow in the future.

Last two things I've gotta add, favorite three levels were:

-Rooftop Run
-City Escape
-Green Hill Zone

And in closing?

FUCK
PLANET
WISP.

That level is a nightmare. BEAUTIFUL, but a god damn nightmare.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 10 Nov 2011, 11:22

I do not currently own or have played Generations, but I saw a good bit of it since my Sonic-obessed friend just moved and didn't have her 360 hooked up, so I offered up use of mine for the day. She started it up, hit the Green Hill Zone... and I giggled like a nostaglia filled idiot for the next few minutes. It's now on my Christmas list. (I'd just buy it, but I need to give my relatives some options that don't involve the internet.)
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 11 Nov 2011, 10:16

Ugh, I saw this on the steam front page and persuaded myself against it based on the horror of recent sonic titles, if I buy this I'm blaming the lot of you, and the fiscal irresponsibility fairy.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 11 Nov 2011, 14:42

I thought it was too short. Also, fuck Crisis City, fuck it in the ear.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

phlip

Postby phlip » 11 Nov 2011, 22:35

OK, so in my previous post I may have made claims about this game regarding "tight, responsive controls", "generally knowing what to do next", or "being fun". Having now tried to beat the final boss level a few times, I would like to retract all of those statements.

Because seriously, fuck that level, and fuck everyone involved in creating that level. Someone apparently didn't get the memo that this was supposed to be a good game, not an allegedly-interactive movie of Sonic failing and then blaming you for not properly controlling his uncontrollable arse.

[edit] Well, I finally beat it (after like 4 game-overs, so that's what, 25 attempts, give or take?)... but mostly due to luck, and just happening to be in the right place to collect a lot of rings when they appeared. Still have no idea how to beat it properly or consistently...

[he/him/his]
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 14 Nov 2011, 02:05

You lost on the final boss!? You are sooo bad if you lose on the final boss. How did you fall on the final boss? You're flying! Unless you're talking about the Egg Dragon, in which case, how did you fall on the Egg Dragon, there's no pits on that stage. Seriously, the last boss is so easy. I beat it the first time without knowing what to do. Then I beat it in 3 minutes after figuring it out.

Also, Crisis City is fun. It has less running segments but more pure platforming. The worst level for me is Radical Highway because in both modern and classic the camera glitched out on me. Then the second worst was Planet Wisp. It's really long so it's replay is kinda worsened for that but it's still fun. Although it was better in Colors.

Also, if anyone is not buying this game because of the "horror of recent Sonic titles", you must obviously still be stuck in 2007 because the most recent Sonic game was awesome and half of the one before it (the Sonic parts) was awesome. So it's real awesome when you make decisions based on information you took no effort in actually researching and when the research is loading one webpage it says really awesome things about you.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
phlip

Postby phlip » 14 Nov 2011, 02:52

Gordon Fearman wrote:How did you fall on the final boss?

How do you not?

Given how fast you're travelling, and depending on how much the camera hates you, rings appear on the screen and then fly past you within around 1-3 seconds. That doesn't give you a lot of reaction time. And that's assuming you see them right away, which most of the time is impossible, since they're so small and dull, and the background, and the boss itself, are so visually noisy. A lot of the time, the first indication I had that rings were incoming was when they blew right past me. Only time I could see a significant distance down the course is when I was in 3D mode and the boss was in 2D mode - you could see a fair way down, since the boss wasn't in the way. But then you're fighting with the controls and the camera, since the game wants to look at the boss, and the controls want you to move over to it.

Meanwhile, someone had the bright idea that Super Sonic should steer much slower than regular Sonic, and not have any sort of quickstep-like options, so it can take a good 5-10 seconds just to move to a position. So even if you see the rings coming, often you won't be able to actually make it to them in time. Turning off the boost gives you a bit more time, but it's not much. You need to turn off the boost well in advance of seeing the rings to have much of a chance. But then if you're lucky and rings appear right on top of you, you won't collect as many of them. And also you'll lose ground against the boss, which means you spend longer battling, and thus lose more rings.

The only way I managed to beat the level was to get incredibly lucky, and several times just happen to be in the right place and boosting when a line of rings came past, and collect a heap from the boost's attractive properties.

The boss himself is pretty darn simple. It's just beating it without running out of rings is more challenging and luck-based than is warranted.

OK, so it doesn't detract from the rest of the game that much, and the rest of the game is still a lot of fun. But still, it did reduce my estimation of it from "great game, couple of minor glitches, could've been longer" to "good game, some ridiculous bullshit, but well-contained".

[he/him/his]
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 14 Nov 2011, 11:31

Okay. So that does a great job of not explaining how you fell though. Also, rings come out of the boss every time you hit it it. And they're impossible to miss. If you know what you're doing that boss is hella easy. And knowing what to do is hella easy 'cause everyone keeps shouting at you. When the boss is inside the time tunnel thing, use modern Sonic and shoot at the boss with classic Sonic. If he's outside the tunnel use classic Sonic and shoot with modern Sonic. Dodge up over his warping hand attack. Boost a lot. BAM done. Like the controls are exactly the same as Super Sonic from SA2 so I don't really know what you're complaining about.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

phlip

Postby phlip » 14 Nov 2011, 14:39

Gordon Fearman wrote:Okay. So that does a great job of not explaining how you fell though.
I... um... what? Care to phrase that question again, except this time with more sense-making?

I mean, sure, when you run out of rings you become not-Super and fall to your death, but I have a feeling that's not what you're asking...

[edit] Did you maybe misread the word "failing" in my original complaining-post as "falling"? I'm grasping at straws here...

Gordon Fearman wrote:Also, rings come out of the boss every time you hit it it. And they're impossible to miss.
Strange, I seem to remember it being more "rings fly out everywhere, get attracted to your boosting self, get stuck behind you, glitch out, and then disappear when the screen fades out, and you collect maybe half a dozen". Maybe that was just me?

Gordon Fearman wrote:And knowing what to do is hella easy 'cause everyone keeps shouting at you.
Oh sure. I was knowing that those were homing attacks like a boss.

And like I said, knowing how to kill the boss is the easy part. But unless you're able to beat the boss in 50 seconds, you're going to want to collect some rings at some point.

Gordon Fearman wrote:Like the controls are exactly the same as Super Sonic from SA2 so I don't really know what you're complaining about.
I haven't actually played SA2 yet, though I've been meaning to check it out sometime. I played SA1, though. Also, what I'm complaining about is "time you get to respond to rings, even if your eyesight is superhuman << time it takes to respond to rings, even if your reflexes are superhuman".

[he/him/his]
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 15 Nov 2011, 08:35

phlip wrote:[edit] Did you maybe misread the word "failing" in my original complaining-post as "falling"? I'm grasping at straws here...

No yeah. That's it. Sorry.

plip wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:Also, rings come out of the boss every time you hit it it. And they're impossible to miss.
Strange, I seem to remember it being more "rings fly out everywhere, get attracted to your boosting self, get stuck behind you, glitch out, and then disappear when the screen fades out, and you collect maybe half a dozen". Maybe that was just me?

Yes. Yes that is you. Because if you stop boosting they finally make it to you. Even so I've never had more than a ring trailing behind me.

philp wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:Like the controls are exactly the same as Super Sonic from SA2 so I don't really know what you're complaining about.
I haven't actually played SA2 yet, though I've been meaning to check it out sometime. I played SA1, though. Also, what I'm complaining about is "time you get to respond to rings, even if your eyesight is superhuman << time it takes to respond to rings, even if your reflexes are superhuman".

There are no rings in the final boss in SA2. The only way to get rings back is to actually hit the boss or switch between Shadow and Sonic. So I'm thinking in terms of ring starvation that game's worse.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Nov 2011, 06:06

PLUG! PLUG! PLUG!
Read my review at Final Boss Fight: http://finalbossfight.co.uk/index.php/r ... nerations/

I'll be writing a follow up in the next few days about Sonic's Lost Generation.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 16 Nov 2011, 10:21

For your hop thing: ever try holding down the X (A) button? 'Cause that seems to work fine for me. Every time. And your criticism of getting keys through challenge maps is unfair since every stage has a doppleganger race. You are never forced to stop running fast or bashing robots. That's a decision you made.

Also, "...what was originally a core priority of the Sonic classics; going really fast and nothing else." is a complete lie. Sonic 1, the most classic Sonic, was about platforming and then momentum. Was standing on slowly moving blocks as they drifted across lava "going really fast?" How about jumping up a million stairs. Were the boss battles very fast? No. For the most part, Sonic 1 was a pretty slow game. Super Mario Bros is probably faster if you hold down B.

Aaaand you left out the part that S-ranking is easy as shit. In fact you say the opposite. As long as you don't die you're pretty much guaranteed to get it. I beat a stage in 7 minutes with 3 rings and still S-ranked. It's really not at all hard. Even the challenge maps, which have stricter ranks, is not very hard. I'm all A's or S's on the first try with them.

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Nov 2011, 08:28

I bought this game today after reading this thread and I am loving it!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 27 Nov 2011, 13:06

So I beat the game now after dragging myself from Skyrim. The last boss is actually very easily done.

Now here's the trick that they VERY poorly describe/neglect to tell you. Switching to classic Sonic turns it to side scrolling so it's VERY easy to see rings, and there are a lot. I got over 100 easily that way.

The modern Sonic is for the "Here comes a homing shot!" parts and evasion.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 29 Nov 2011, 10:57

Basically, you switch when they tell you to because that means that Eggmens have switched perspective. You can't catch up to him if he's in the wrong perspective. If you keep in the same perspective as them then you can beat it without ever needing to pick up rings.

Return to “Video Games”