Ye Olde Official Skyrim Discussion Thread (Spoilers?)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Ye Olde Official Skyrim Discussion Thread (Spoilers?)

Postby auberginequeen » 10 Nov 2011, 23:21

Let us gather and speak of our latest timesink, SKYRIM.

I played a bit, going with my preplanned route of Khajiit assassin/archer. Having fun so far, though I had to quit due to concerns such as ... sleep and uni.

So far the two things I've gathered are:

1. All Norse (sorry, Nord) people sound like Vlad-who-is-not-a-vampire from Magicka.

2. I've collected so much lavender in two hours that my character must smell amazing.

So! Thoughts, anyone?

Just a reminder: Please, if you're going to talk about plot, use the spoiler tag.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Ye Olde Official Skyrim Discussion Thread (Spoilers?)

Postby theDreamer » 11 Nov 2011, 00:18

Not ALL of them.

There is a Skald (Bard, hilariously that's the Orcish word for bard in JourneyQuest) in the first town you kinda are railroaded into hitting up who is nord, but doesn't sound it.

Also:

EVERYTHING IS SO PRETTY!

Also: new leveling system? No more "what do I train to maximize my levelling potential"? Win.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 11 Nov 2011, 06:33

theDreamer wrote:Not ALL of them.

There is a Skald (Bard, hilariously that's the Orcish word for bard in JourneyQuest) in the first town you kinda are railroaded into hitting up who is nord, but doesn't sound it.

Also:

EVERYTHING IS SO PRETTY!

Also: new leveling system? No more "what do I train to maximize my levelling potential"? Win.

He sounds eerily like Tino from The Weekenders to me. I keep trying not to talk to him (and anyone else voiced by him, I encountered one already) because I imagine him as being a modern oblong-headed teenager.

Also why do all the adults have silly Nordic accents while their children don't? Who's teaching their children to speak differently? Do they have that much non-Nord exposure as to entirely eradicate the accent? Rabble rabble it's unrealistic rabble!

And yes, everything is so pretty. I turned everything up to maximum settings and my laptop fans have to chug away but it's totally worth it.
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 11 Nov 2011, 07:19

I've got it, but not got that far as it graphically lags frequently for me. I.e. it'll freeze and the sound will go on, but no response. Currently playing around with settings and driver updates to see if I can get it to work better.
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 11 Nov 2011, 07:40

Getting it tomorrow in the mail (Hopefully) from gamefly, picking up my CE Guide today.

I'll probably come in for some mild post initial play commentary on sunday or monday, but as far as I'm concerned I should be considered dead to the world for all of monday.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 11 Nov 2011, 08:44

Exachix wrote:I've got it, but not got that far as it graphically lags frequently for me. I.e. it'll freeze and the sound will go on, but no response. Currently playing around with settings and driver updates to see if I can get it to work better.

This is a last resort. A LAST LAST resort. But there are people who have tweaked the .ini files for compatibility with the same kind of issues you have.
Skyrim tweaks of .ini files
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 11 Nov 2011, 09:50

So I'm a bit further in now, and I've been living up to my race's bad name and by robbing everyone blind. (I do this in all games where I can steal things)

Oh wait, was there a plot to this? Their nice shiny stuff is distracting me!
Exachix

Postby Exachix » 11 Nov 2011, 10:25

Darkobra wrote:
Exachix wrote:I've got it, but not got that far as it graphically lags frequently for me. I.e. it'll freeze and the sound will go on, but no response. Currently playing around with settings and driver updates to see if I can get it to work better.

This is a last resort. A LAST LAST resort. But there are people who have tweaked the .ini files for compatibility with the same kind of issues you have.
Skyrim tweaks of .ini files

I've fixed most of it by updating my graphics drivers. Occasional Lag but no longer any/much in combat now, but thanks.

Ah it's so pretty and awesome.
Crimson Chin
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby Crimson Chin » 11 Nov 2011, 16:46

My 3.5 year old laptop isn't reacting well; I have to keep restarting. But I am super enjoying it; playing an Imperial girl, searching for the deepest dungeons, killing everything with fire and finding a surprising amount of valuable items.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 11 Nov 2011, 17:45

It's taking some time for me to break my old Oblivion habits. I spent a lot of time nto leveling up because I was too far away from a bed to get some sleep. I love the system of upgrades when you do level up, though.

I also love that your HP, MP and Stamina are replenished when you do level up. I figure I'm going to save my level-ups for when I'm nearly dead. I can save on potions and instantly revive myself.

Mostly though I'm just sightseeing and enjoying the gorgeous vistas.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 Nov 2011, 04:55

Oh my GOD is that levelling system complex in its simplicity. So many choices and I'm staring going "... I want them all."

X and Y axis not in synch. Fucking nightmare.

I said that Deus Ex would be GOTY for a long time. And I still think it's a fantastic game worth getting. But Skyrim.... It's a better form of Oblivion.

Oh and I saw a mud crab the other day!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
mertainia
First Video: fun with microwaves

Postby mertainia » 12 Nov 2011, 13:09

I could never get a feel for the magic in Oblivion, but it seems over powered in Skyrim. I'm loving just turning everything into a crispy critter.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 12 Nov 2011, 13:27

It is a gigantic time-sink, and as far as I'm concerned (I seem to be in the minority on this), barring the odd difference it is basically just Oblivion again. The NPCs all act the same way, the environments are all the same style (albeit the obvious geographic differences), etc. etc.

I'm not sure I'd even call it a "modern" Oblivion.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 12 Nov 2011, 14:42

I dunno if it's just me but half the time when I press my attack button nothing happens? I'm stood there hammering the attack and my weapon is just staying still. "Oh yeah you want me to attack?" *swing* sorry too late the other guy killed him.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 13 Nov 2011, 15:25

Lyinginbedmon wrote:It is a gigantic time-sink, and as far as I'm concerned (I seem to be in the minority on this), barring the odd difference it is basically just Oblivion again. The NPCs all act the same way, the environments are all the same style (albeit the obvious geographic differences), etc. etc.

I'm not sure I'd even call it a "modern" Oblivion.

I honestly don't get this "complaint."

What did you expect when you heard there would be a new TES game?

This has everything I want and more:

Graphical update, new places to explore, rehaul of leveling system to not promote gaming the system/optimized leveling, non-psychic guards, fucking dragons, dual wielding, better magic, shouts/powers bound to a non magic key, better quick-slot system, getting rid of repair, easier enchanting, new monsters, etc. etc.

But you damn well bet I still want it to feel like a TES game (both of the ones I played, Morrowind and Oblivion), such that it is a swords and sorcery RPG in a massive open world that I could explore and help people out and steal from and dungeon delve and become the head of the four major guilds in the area and all the other things I love about the series which was why I was stoked about it from the very first trailer which didn't even have gameplay.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 13 Nov 2011, 19:06

Is anybody else playing on a 360? I'm having a problem with the game crashing pretty frequently on the loading screen between locations and I'd like to know if it is just my box or if it's a real bug.

Also: most hilarious bug I've seen so far - I bought a house, furnished it and came home one night to discover that all my furniture had vanished and my goods were strewn all around the floor. Furniture is back now, but everything is still on the floor. Rather an awful mess.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 14 Nov 2011, 03:23

So, i'd just like to congratulate bethesda on what they've done with this game.
On all the lowest settings it plays with about the same amount of lagg as exachix is having... Now, the reason this is amazing, is because if i try and play minecraft my computer blue screens... Try playing DX? Forever freeze, TF2, freeze... You get the point.

So far i've had two hilarious dragon encounters, one where i fast traveled to the mage college and had a god damned blood dragon land in the courtyard and fry some of the wizzards there while i filled it with arrows (I'm not really a mage, i just use magic for the utility spells.) and another where i finished the quest with mercer and the chick, come out of the cave and BAM dragon lands and gets into a fist fight with a polar bear... The bear did more damage in 5 seconds than i did in about 20.

Also there are some things in this game that blow me away. The unlisted monuments, for example the shrine of talos near yngville or whatever it's called (Place with the necromancer who is heavily implied to be gettin it on with his creatures.) Just standing nearbye is a fraking gigantic statue of talos, and behind it if you go searching is a book for 1 handed fighting.

The fact that you can hide properly now, doing the next part of that thieves quest that involves the mage, i kept getting spotted in one part, all the guards come rushing, i turned a corner and just stood there, (Ok, confession, my sneak skill is about 80 where-as my next highest is about 48.) and they couldn't find me so they went back to normal... As opposed to oblivions "Oh, you've run halfway across the world but you're still detected cause i seen you once 4 miles ago!"

Combat is a little on the worse side unfortunately. Dual wielding is completely useless to me as the assassin that i am, wielding anythng but a shield in my off hand seems completely useless as i get one spell cast and loose half my health, though maybe this is different with heavy armour i don't know, and i do disslike the leveling system as dumbed down as it is, i want my stats back! I like that you can no longer (Well, not as badly) decide to break the system, but at the cost of only having 3 things to choose from? That's dissapointing. I was also dissapointed that we didn't get star-signs during creation, and as a fact that entire creation seemed quite dumbed down.

I'm also dissapointed that the Draugr are basically the Giant Rats of Skyrim, though some of them are just ridiculously strong (The earlier mention mercer quest, try having a fight with 2 top tier Draugr, 2 wights, a restless and being constantly shouted at while they also summon a god damned frost atronarch!)

And the dungeons, one thing i hated about oblivion was that with one exception (Was a glitch i think, a permanantly dark cave filled with god damned bears.) they were all the same Ruins/Cave/Tower etc. Now not so much, while they still use the same style, they are immersive rather than "Hmmmm, this is a Ruin, means the end room will be to the left downward but there will be secret rooms hidden upward and special items in the roof."

Though some of these puzzle doors are just stupid, i had to guess the combination of the golden hand one since it wasn't indicated ANYWHERE.

Also, SO MANY QUESTS! The main storyline for the thieves guild so far is like, 6 missions and it looks like it's about to end. But i went to my misc quests option, ontop of the 15 or so active quests i've picked up from the FOUR towns i've been to so far, and there was a good 30 options in there...
And yes, i've been playing about 8-10 hours a day for two days now, and have only been to two towns. Havn't even been to the dark brother hood sanctuary yet, though i'm dissapointed that the password isn't still "Sanguine, my brother."
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Exachix

Postby Exachix » 14 Nov 2011, 05:39

Update your graphics drivers, may fix the problem somewhat though I still get loading freezes in places, and occasionally often.

The sheer number of sidequests is awesomesauce. I'm currently partway through the companions quests, which are fun but hard. Despite continuing to die at points I really am loving it.

I'm definitely preferring the main quest here to the Oblivion one, and have done more companion quests than I ever did Fighter's Guild. Need to find more daedra, but we'll see. I think I'm a member of all the guilds now and it's all fun.

But most of what I love is exploring around and finding word walls. And slaying the dragons near there. I've found that the Marked for Death shout is very useful in doing so.

Current Character:
Nord, using any of;
Flames, Healing, Sword, Mace.
And Bow.
Occsionally shouting either Unrelenting Force (3/3) or Marked for Death (2/3)
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 14 Nov 2011, 06:08

the_lone_bard wrote:Combat is a little on the worse side unfortunately. Dual wielding is completely useless to me as the assassin that i am, wielding anythng but a shield in my off hand seems completely useless as i get one spell cast and loose half my health, though maybe this is different with heavy armour i don't know, and i do disslike the leveling system as dumbed down as it is, i want my stats back! I like that you can no longer (Well, not as badly) decide to break the system, but at the cost of only having 3 things to choose from? That's dissapointing. I was also dissapointed that we didn't get star-signs during creation, and as a fact that entire creation seemed quite dumbed down.

I like that you only pick your race, then get to choose your starsign as you play, and class no longer exists. It means when I randomly decide that perking restoration is a good idea, I don't get hurt by that, and I can try out different star signs to find ones I want. I also don't think the leveling system is too dumb. The perk trees are deliciously massive. Way more choice than Oblivion ever had, and way more satisfaction.

the_lone_bard wrote:Though some of these puzzle doors are just stupid, i had to guess the combination of the golden hand one since it wasn't indicated ANYWHERE.

Spoilers below:

Did you look at the journal the thief in the webbing had? It says "You literally hold the answer in your hand" if you have the Golden Claw. Then, you open up the items menu, go to the Claw, push into it once more to open their "look at our pretty models in 3-space and spin it and just appreciate the effort we took" mode, spin the claw around, and BAM, solution to the puzzle. This was actually demo'd in the one that's on the skyrim website.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 14 Nov 2011, 06:49

So far i'm finding the only time i ever really die is when i get put into batshit crazy fights, like 2 Draugr wights backed up be a Draugr (Whatever the one that summons frost atronarchs is called.) when i can't just sneak up and slash them all for 15x power attack damage.

Also, one huge problem i have with the game is the lockpicking skill. It was perfect in oblivion, you actually got skilled with it, i think for my second playthrough of oblivion i used a total of 6 lockpicks... Fallout 3 was a massive downgrade but at least you could get an idea before your pick broke.
Now until you unlock the perk for it, master locks are prettymuch just take a guess. Cause as soon as you try and turn it if it's not right it snaps instantly. And i have a lockpicking of 52... Though granted i have about 200 lockpicks so it's not that big a problem anymore.
Though one strange thing is the disturbing lack of health potions i can buy, i've been searching in every town i go to and barely bought more than 10...

Also, most badass thing i've done so far.
Doing the second part of the amulet quest, walk into the room with the puzzle door where all the Draugr revive themselves 2 at a time. Seen that coming, took out my bow, triggered the ressurection and ran to the oposite end of the room. Not one of the 8 reached me. One got close but fell to it's knees as it was about to swing at me. It got an arrow to the back of the head, Boondock Saints style.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 14 Nov 2011, 07:37

tanatoes wrote:Is anybody else playing on a 360? I'm having a problem with the game crashing pretty frequently on the loading screen between locations and I'd like to know if it is just my box or if it's a real bug.

Also: most hilarious bug I've seen so far - I bought a house, furnished it and came home one night to discover that all my furniture had vanished and my goods were strewn all around the floor. Furniture is back now, but everything is still on the floor. Rather an awful mess.

Sounds like a user end bug, there has been questioning that older xbox's are having more frequency in the crashing IIRC...

I've had, literally, 0 problems (knock on wood) so the game has been a total fucking blast for me. And while some people are making the comment of it being an oblivion update, I'd prefer oblivion overhaul, being there's just a multitude of things they fixed and improved that I didn't even think of SAYING that they needed improving.

Anywho, back to the game, I've only got today as my one free day to do as I please, best make use of it.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Nov 2011, 07:03

I rolled back from a delfmage because the punishment for missing a destruction spell was too sever. I had the rank 3 fire spell and if I actually managed to miss, I'd have wasted 50% of my mana pool. I also was squishy as hell and had no way of defending myself except for slashing with a random weapon I picked up.

So I'm back on my first character a cat, who I'm speccing into a sniping archer. It's fun one-shotting people but armour foes are annoying as hell. It's a little bit silly that my archer melee attack is worse than fighting unarmed(cat racial). I hope I don't fall into my Oblivion trap of constant re-rolling and thus never actually finish the game.

The game feels slower than oblivion, especially in the UI menus. Also spell effects are *too* pretty. It's hard to aim as ranged when you're being consumed by dragon fire or a mage streaming pain at you. The difficulty curves of some quests (killing quests) are very irregular. There's no indication of what level the thingy you're about to kill is or not. Or you stumble across a hive of 5688 mobs that you can barely kill as it is. I think the game assumes people will rush the main story, a quire a few level 3 shouts and then piss about with side stuff. Sorry, I love side quests Skyrim, please don't whip me again :(.

The companion system is annoying. You feel bad when they die because you have to find a new person. Or you kill them accidently. At least the console command gets rid of that annoyance. Them blocking you is annoying though. I still hate encumbanencesplurge, at least arrows are weightless and I can use the console command to increase capacity...
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 15 Nov 2011, 07:46

^ You seem to be having the same experience I am, but in reverse.

I started with snipey Khajiit and rerolled to Delf mage/assassin after finding out just how weak arrows are. In Oblivion I used to be able to shoot things to death in about three hits. Now it's more like three billion.

However, there are perks that halve the amount of Magicka each level of spell (Novice, Apprentice, etc) costs. I took that one, and now I can spray fire for a good thirty seconds before I run out.

Though something else that irritates me is that I'm all sneaky and shit and I see a bunch of opportunities to shoot people at long range but I really can't because fire isn't very subtle. I'm just going to have to wait until I get the rest of the sneaky-dagger perks, I guess. I already have half of the "more damage to backstabs" one, which is very useful, come to think of it. Maybe I should just give up fire and become Spy instead.

Likewise, I keep being murdered by the "kill this person" quests. Those little things that dwell in Shimmermist? Five hit death. Bears? Five hit death. Trolls? Don't even talk to me about trolls. I have the nicest armour I've found and improved it as best I can, I took all the perks I could in light armour, most of my leveling up has gone into health just to ensure I die a little slower, and I'm still being mauled to death by bears.

And then there's another huge downside to sneaking around: as my Khajiit, sometimes I would attack people at such a distance that they didn't even show up on my little navigation bar at the top, only to find out they were a friendly NPC. Well, shit.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Nov 2011, 12:55

^ Depends where the arrow hits. Skyrim goes for realism. Hit flesh or leather/cloth and you a shit tonne of damage. His armour then you might as well dance round some traps/kitty maul them to death.

I find the friendly NPC problem with sniping to be age old with Oblivion too. Best way is to quicksave before sniping/play as an evil person.

I find the stat increase system when leveling up a harder choice. In theory all 3 stats are useful (magicka less so). But it feels dull.

I find the arrow flight paths to be a bit illogical. I swear an arrow flew *above* my cross-hair instead of falling just below. However I do enjoy sneaking around taking out people with a single arrow. It's odd. In theory because I sneak I ought to be able to avoid killing most things, but I *enjoy* killing. Destroys the whole point of a sniper.
DataEntity
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby DataEntity » 15 Nov 2011, 16:27

The crosshairs for archery do seem to be set for a particular (further off) distance. Going to the target range behind the Companions' building, you can aim directly at the middle of the target and arrows will end up above where you're aiming. At least this is true within the confined area of their range.

Return to “Video Games”