Did that really come out that long ago

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Re: Did that really come out that long ago

Postby Dutch guy » 29 Nov 2011, 09:03

I remember the original pokemon craze.
And I still have Microsoft flight simulator 5.1 on the original diskettes (the 3,5 inch ones) including the original manual.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 29 Nov 2011, 17:48

Dutch guy, very nice note of "original pokemon craze" as it has now devolved into something horrifing.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 30 Nov 2011, 04:41

To me it has pretty much always been horrifying tbh.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 30 Nov 2011, 15:03

Does anyone else remember the Hound of the Shadow?
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Stroggo
First Video: Ways to make sombody leave a room

Postby Stroggo » 02 Dec 2011, 20:36

I'm back at my parents house for the holidays, and rummaging around my old room I found my two copies of System Shock. I remember getting so wound up, waiting for it to come out, only to find out it ran like a pig on my poor Win3.1 laptop. It took 3 years of nagging my parents until we got our Pentium machine in 97, and Dad got me an early birthday present the enhanced CD version.

And it's because of that three year wait that I still catch myself thinking System Shock is a new game...
[6e6f:20:6d:61:74:74:65:72:20:77:68:65:72:65:20:79:6f:75:20:67:6f:20:65:76:65:72:
79:6f:6e:65:27:73:20:61:6c:77:61:79:73:20:63:6f:6e:6e:65:63:74:65:64]
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 24 Jan 2012, 07:43

Not necessarily that long but considering the object it kinda is.... Xbox 360 - 2004, 7 years and counting on a single console cycle now.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 15:00

Awesome. If your launch 360's still working, that's quite a good investment, considering it can play Skyrim. How many un-updated PCs can claim the same?
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 24 Jan 2012, 15:08

That's pretty much why I prefer consoles. I don't have to worry about compatibility.

NOTICE: THIS IS NOT ME SAYING CONSOLES ARE BETTER. THEY'RE JUST BETTER FOR MY SITUATION.
nicholasmc1

Postby nicholasmc1 » 24 Jan 2012, 15:13

metcarfre wrote:Awesome. If your launch 360's still working, that's quite a good investment, considering it can play Skyrim. How many un-updated PCs can claim the same?

Though old consoles continue to keep the visual quality in games back so far that a game like skyrim looks pretty average. Anyways another time and place for that arguement.
Robert Merlow
First Video: Phailhaus 11

Postby Robert Merlow » 25 Jan 2012, 00:34

I remember playing The Sims when it came out. The damn game is 11 years old now. Just a year older than my sister... and she's never played it... She doesn't know what the hell an original Game Boy looks like, nor knows what the original Super Smash Brothers was like. It's mindblowing to know that there are kids out there that have never touched 32-bit era consoles...
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 16 Apr 2012, 14:41

Well I just had a brief look through my desk and found these gems along with some crap that needs filing and random boxes:

I remember picking this up in a supermarket, it boasts 'VR Headset Support' and has a list of supported models, none of which I have heard of but apparently *were* available for home purchase - bizzare.

The only place I have ever come across lemmings Paintball was in this set - a strange but excellent game.

Nostalgia... Overload...

That's it! I'm going to go through my old computer parts and find a floppy...

... Neither my power supply or motherboard have floppy drive connections... balls.

STOP THE PRESSES

Proof that a good 3D sonic game exists!

No seriously, I have such fond memories of this game, it was 3D the same way Bhaldur's Gate was 3d in the sense of not really but that was what made it great. Sonic doesn't work in full 3d, please sonic team, go and play this, you might learn something, I'm pretty sure none of the current members worked on it.

AND FINALLY:

Anyone else remember these bad boys? Back in the cartridge days, if your system only had 2 ports and you wanted to make a four player game? STICK CONTROLLER PORTS IN THE CARTS! This is something todays youth are really missing out on, the fact with carts you could just add extra hardware that was missing from the console was awesome. I also have a copy of VR Racing somewhere which had a second GPU on the cart to cope with the added load - A SECOND GPU - THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND (looking this yp on wikipedia it was technically a DSP not a GPU but meh).

Though because of it VR racing cost £70 at launch in 1994... yeah... I bought it off a mate for £10 as part of a load of megadrive games he didn't want when he got a playstation... I imagine his mother wasn't best pleased.
evilspoons
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby evilspoons » 01 May 2012, 11:00

My little list of sadness and nostalgia:

- Wing Commander - 1990
- Duke Nukem (not 3D) - 1991 - how is this 21 years old!!??
- Falcon 3.0 - 1991
- Wolfenstein 3D - 1992
- Sid and Al's Incredible Toons - 1993 (basically The Incredible Machine with a bit more personality)
- Myst - 1993 - Myst is 19 years old. I'm gonna go cry softly to myself.

I think I'm going to stop now.
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 01 May 2012, 13:24

Zork came out the year I was born. I was 5 days old when John Lenin was shot. Reagan was elected less than 30 days before I was born.

I don't have a good sense of time with the games I enjoy. It's hard to believe that some of them are as old as they are.

Hell, I remember back in 1991 when Super Mario Brothers 3 came out for the NES. I got it for making honor roll in elementary school. I took it to my friend's house. His dad enjoyed it so much, his dad got him his Easter present early. It was a copy of SMB3.

Of course, I remember when I started playing Magic the first time. I was able to get revised boosters for 1.99 a pack. Those were the days.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.

Return to “Video Games”