Saints Row 3: Awesometown

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Graham
Super Moderator

Saints Row 3: Awesometown

Postby Graham » 03 Dec 2011, 14:40

After Desert Bus I've finally had a chance to dump A LOT of time into SR3.
It's so good.

I was actually a little worried from the marketing that it might actually be getting too silly (I know, I know) but no, it's exactly as insane as it should be, with just enough grounding to make it work.

I really enjoy that (even though there's a kind of restart-from-nothing event at the beginning) it doesn't spend forever building back up.
You go from a shitty apartment to a penthouse in only a few missions. Because you're the Saints. You've done this before. It makes so much more sense than flailing around in obscurity for half the game just because someone stole all your money. It's nice to have a new city to mess around with too.

Difference in play from SR2, I always wear the parachute, just in case.
It's been a big help.

How are you all enjoying it?
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Re: Saints Row 3: Awesometown

Postby MattAn » 03 Dec 2011, 15:39

Woo! I was waiting to see what your thoughts were on it! :D

I'm also thoroughly enjoying the game, only up to just after the first mission with Pierce (lolPierce..) with the car-pimping and Planet Saints-visiting.. Then I just went back to the madness, roaming around doing random events!

Have you run into Professor Genki in the streets yet? Shit gets real when he shows up. Shit. Gets. Real.

The outrageous, controversial stuff has its limits, but screw that, it's Saints Row, bitches! Giant purple dildo never hurt anyone, right? (Wait..)

Additionally, 360 or PC? You, Jer and Matt are the 360 gamers of LRR, right? James, Kathleen and Alex are more PC and/or PS3?

Wait.. The parachute backpack actually.. Uses the parachute? Well fuck, looks like I've be doing falling from buildings wrong.. Next you'll be saying that the "kitty" backpacks spawn an evil kitten army!
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 03 Dec 2011, 16:33

I've only gotten as far as Shaundi's ex's apartment, but for some reason, the shooting seemed off. I'm not sure why. Also, the new driving controls threw me off.

Besides that, I don't mind it.
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 03 Dec 2011, 16:38

Wait, there are new driving controls..? Oh, right! It used to be A/Cross for accelerate, now it's Right Trigger/R2. Huh! Completely forgot about that..

Shooting's seemed pretty fine for me.

It should also be noted that the guy who does the voice of Piccolo in Dragon Ball Z is one of the pedestrians that respond to you. Piccolo just told me "Learn how to drive, jackass!" as I drifted around the corner, narrowly avoiding him. Epic.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 03 Dec 2011, 16:47

I really don't know about the shooting. Maybe I was just used to snappier controls or something. I can't explain what I felt.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 04 Dec 2011, 13:15

I've been a bit here and there on it. I can't deny that the fundamental gameplay is really solid, but from a story perspective it's all over the place (as opposed to the solid gangsta empowerment fantasy BS that the second one perfected) and I'm really bothered by at least one mission. The game as a whole seems to have mistaken the series' power: It's not because it's crass, it's because of bravado.

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it (I near 100%'d it in one run, so I clearly had some fun) but it's not a patch on SR2.
The Architect
First Video: Unskippable

Postby The Architect » 04 Dec 2011, 15:05

I enjoyed it (finished the last mission last night), but something felt a touch off to me. I finally put my finger on it sometime yesterday. Steelport just does not feel different enough from Stillwater to make me think it's a second city.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 04 Dec 2011, 15:26

See, I'd disagree with that, Architect. To me, it did genuinely feel far more industrial/working class than Stillwater.

My issue with it is the story structure, above all else. Essentially, they shut out two-thirds of the game; Saints Row the First and Second both had four gangs and a full three act structure; you getting the gang together, then taking over all the gangs, and then dealing with the 'surprise' fourth gang. Saints Row the Third, by contrast, does have a first act, but then it kind of fluffs the third. And the second act is massively truncated. Consider this: Try to name as many important, named enemy NPCs and just count 'em off, from each game.

In the first game, I stopped counting at about thirteen. I may be forgetting someone, but definitely no less than thirteen.

In the second game, I counted eleven. And honestly, I consider this to be mainly them streamlining their thinking on how to write the gangs: This felt right. If I'd really nitpicked, I'd have argued for a stronger Ultor lieutenant, someone to kill as a way to piss off Dane Vogel.

In the third game, I counted seven. Being as generous as I can.

That's seriously downgraded. (Although it's amusing that it's a progression. I'm looking forward to either the single gang lord or the negative one gang members of Saints Row the Fourth.)

The whole thing smacks of a much lower budget, and the seams show a bit. Eliza Dushku, gone. Daniel Dae Kim? Killed off in the introduction, and man does that hurt the game. Not to mention the very cut-down character creation. (Also, yeah, bit annoyed by the character models. The very skinniest dude is about the same size as the most built gal. That's not right, and it's totally flying in the face of the spirit of Saints Row, which has prided itself on customization.)

In the end, I'm just a bit underwhelmed. It's not bad, by any means, but it feels like they were put under very tight budget constraints, and that's not building any goodwill for the DLC. Also, I cannot stress this enough, they are selling the cheat codes.

What the hell, Volition?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 04 Dec 2011, 16:42

I actually liked that they played with the story structure. It wouldn't make sense plot-wise to do a complete build up from nothing again, and I'd be a little disappointed by it.

I enjoy that it's about The Saints overreaching and having their hubris bite them in the ass, and then asserting why they deserve to think of themselves as the top dogs.

It's almost like The Saints are Ultor now (which they technically ARE), and all the other gangs are the small dogs trying to unseat the kings, like The Saints were previously. Kind of a reversal. Kind of.

Anyway that's my take. From a gameplay perspective, I'm actually happy to not be playing out the same plot again, for a third time.
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 04 Dec 2011, 22:15

JackSlack wrote:Eliza Dushku, gone.

I was legit saddened by that.. She made Shaundi. Hell, she fucking is Shaundi. Just from the kickass roles she played in Dollhouse proves she can't be replaced.

JackSlack wrote:Also, I cannot stress this enough, they are selling the cheat codes.

What the hell, Volition?

Correction, they're selling some cheat codes. That certainly doesn't make it any better, by any means, but there are still cheats in-game. The DLC (which was free for certain retailer preorders) only has a select few extras. It does suck that those cheats also block achievements, so turning them on unexpectedly and forgetting about them could prove hazardous. Though I think whenever you use a cheat, autosave turns off.

I will say one thing.. I'm keen for some co-op action.

Also, apparently you shouldn't do any of the activities open to you from the start until after they're introduced in the story campaign? Supposedly there's cutscenes/dialogue that's missed if you do? I'unno, sounds pretty odd to me, especially when they're freely available to play.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 04 Dec 2011, 22:27

I'm pretty sure cheats have ALWAYS blocked achievement progress. I know GTAIV did that. Dunno about SR2, but I would assume it'd do the same.
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 04 Dec 2011, 22:29

Vigafre wrote:I'm pretty sure cheats have ALWAYS blocked achievement progress. I know GTAIV did that. Dunno about SR2, but I would assume it'd do the same.

Oh, I wasn't saying that was anything new. I know it's a standard thing. I was clarifying the DLC stuff. :P
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 04 Dec 2011, 22:33

Also, you can gain access to all of the cheats, more or less, by getting high enough level. You can buy immunity to all damage, and infinite ammo for all weapons. You are paying money for a shortcut. I don't see why its such a big deal.

As stated before, loved the game, loved everything about EXCEPT one fairly heavy concern. When you beat the game, it gives you the option to play the last mission to see the other ending. If you do so, you can't play it again, and are stuck with that ending. Which means to unlock everything, you have to pick the ending you don't want first. That blows.
Image Image Image
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 05 Dec 2011, 00:31

I would also like to stress my desire for co-op. Or even some horde mode. I say again: I enjoyed the game. I just would have liked to have had some more detailed gangs; with more than one boss per gang.

Also, I really could have done without the Pimps Up, Hos Down mission.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Dec 2011, 01:14

What was wrong with that mission (any more than other missions)?
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 05 Dec 2011, 03:28

I think this is relevant.. Australia's "Good Game" reviewed Saints Row: The Third. They discussed the giant purple dildo.. So someone edited together grabs of the full review and made it "Good Game reviews a Giant Purple Dildo... With Fisting Machines." True story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiAotohT8v4
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 05 Dec 2011, 05:26

Graham wrote:What was wrong with that mission (any more than other missions)?

Seeing a Brute in a miniskirt was somewhat terrible.

I haven't played the first two Saints Row games but I'm really enjoying this one. The most I knew going into it was it doesn't take itself too seriously, and seeing people gush about the second game (and some videos of what happens) made me think I should get this one.

I'm taking my time playing and pretty much exploring the city and doing any side mission I can find, and when I get bored do the main ones to advance the story a bit more. Thinking about that now, that seems to be odd and that most people would do the side missions when bored.

I'll most likely pick up the second game when I'm done with the third game.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 05 Dec 2011, 10:02

Spoilered below:
Being sold as a sex slave and the next scene featuring you being drugged and naked was just waaaaay too rapey to me.
Last edited by JackSlack on 05 Dec 2011, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 05 Dec 2011, 13:11

I've been watching the Yogscast playthrough and I have to say I want to own this game now. SR2 was great fun, but this looks hilarious.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 05 Dec 2011, 17:14

Can't say I like this one as much as Saints 2.
Or, at all.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Dec 2011, 18:26

JackSlack wrote:
Spoiler
Oh!
I got distracted during the pre-mission scene and didn't actually know WHY you start the mission naked and drunk. I thought it was pretty funny, outside of context.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 06 Dec 2011, 14:50

Graham wrote:Oh!
I got distracted during the pre-mission scene and didn't actually know WHY you start the mission naked and drunk. I thought it was pretty funny, outside of context.

It's not bad outside of that context, but inside it... eeeeech. They certainly don't handle the context well, either. It's straight from the lead-in scene straight to the aftermath. (More following, spoilered)

Plus, and this is what really bugs me: The whole point of it is that it's the only way you can smuggle yourself in.

Neverminding that:

1. Zimos is known to the Morningstar as an enemy. So unless he's working through an intermediary (and there's no sense of this given) then how the heck is he dealing with them?
2. The Boss is famous. Nobody shouldn't be recognizing him/her. How is Zimos selling them?
3. After you're sold (and whatever happens that leads you to being drugged and naked -- seriously, they couldn't have concocted some silly scene that negated the unfortunate implications there?) Zimos and a bunch of Saints just run in! How the hell did THEY get past all the security?
And 4. The whole mission is clearly just a rework of "Bad Trip" from Saints Row 2, but with less variety. (There, you had to drunk drive a high speed car, stage a shootout, and then run a survival timer to win. Here, it's just the shootout.)

I'd have suggested that they instead run it as Zimos using a ruse of somehow having captured the boss and giving him/her to the Morningstar for their auction as a peace offering, trying to defect to them. The plan would be to have a buyer in the audience who quickly buys the boss, frees him/her, and then the rampage begins. Of course, it can't be Pierce or Shaundi (too well known) or Angel (no guarantee Killbane won't be there these days) so it'd need to be...

Why, the socially reclusive nerd who doesn't deal well with people and is scared by crowds. But is weirdly into kink and bondage.

Seriously, they missed a comedic goldmine opportunity here. Have the whole auction play out! Play up some tension by making it clear Kinsey has a limited budget, and watch with horror as she keeps on buying fetish gear before you're up! And finally, have the boss sell for a staggeringly low amount, and start swearing at the crowd because fuck you, I'm great in bed! You missed out on a bargain!

The whole thing was really uncomfortable and ugly as it was, and a massive missed opportunity had it been thought out a bit better. (Although you'd definitely need to move the Stag intro away from the mission earlier; with the two together the lead-in would be way too long. With it moved, it'd probably be long but OK.)
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 07 Dec 2011, 18:18

I loved the game and thought it was loads of fun. I'm already planning on playing it again.
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 16 Dec 2011, 18:01

I'm home for winter break I'mma need some co-op partners.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 17 Dec 2011, 03:54

Vigafre wrote:I'm home for winter break I'mma need some co-op partners.

Platform?

Return to “Video Games”