Skyrim on Xbox: Should I buy it?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Skyrim on Xbox: Should I buy it?

Postby JackSlack » 07 Dec 2011, 21:18

On one hand, everyone keeps raving about how good it is.

On the other hand, I've never found Bethedsa's work appealing.

On the mutant third hand, Fallout 3 I've become obsessed by lately, despite thinking it's really freaking flawed.

So confused.
Lorithad

Re: Skyrim on Xbox: Should I buy it?

Postby Lorithad » 07 Dec 2011, 21:58

My vote is PC if you have a computer that can handle it. There are some bugs in the quests every so often, and just having the console there to fix things is really nice.
That being said, I don't know that the consoles don't have some sort of console command line like the PC version does. So whoever has a ps3 or xbox, feel free to chime in any time about that.

Oh. And modding. Modding is great. My house in whiterun has an enchanting table thanks to mods. Soo handy.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 07 Dec 2011, 21:59

I'm not knocking the quality of the game by saying this. What I'm about to say is very general and can be applied to all games.

Don't buy it until you've at least played or watched the game for about 30 minutes.

I personally don't take peer suggestions without watching or playing the game first.

Assuming you've already done that, though, I'd say no, just cuz I don't understand why you'd buy a game if you don't think it looks interesting. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what you're saying.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 Dec 2011, 23:09

No, I think you have it, Vigafre. That said, I've been lousy at game picks this year. I was super excited for Batman, and disappointed with the game. Ditto Saints Row. But Deus Ex looked boring to me, but wound uroaring my current GOTY. So that's why I'm not quite trusting my judgement right now.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 07 Dec 2011, 23:53

I'd avoid the PS3 version, it has a really nasty bug caused by how the engine handles save files and the very low amount of system memory available on the console.

Basically, if you play the game normally with autosaves and all that it will, after a few hours accumulate on the save file, slow to a grinding halt. While you can avoid this by disabling autosave and using a bit of save file micromanagement, it just seems like a bit too much of a hassle. As a PC gamer I'm spoiled just having quick save, I'm not sure what I'd do without quicksave or autosave.
and now; back to me.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 08 Dec 2011, 00:27

Lorithad wrote:My vote is PC if you have a computer that can handle it. There are some bugs in the quests every so often, and just having the console there to fix things is really nice.
That being said, I don't know that the consoles don't have some sort of console command line like the PC version does. So whoever has a ps3 or xbox, feel free to chime in any time about that.

Oh. And modding. Modding is great. My house in whiterun has an enchanting table thanks to mods. Soo handy.

When you get the house in Solitude, you can get an enchanting table.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 08 Dec 2011, 02:11

Lorithad wrote:That being said, I don't know that the consoles don't have some sort of console command line like the PC version does. So whoever has a ps3 or xbox, feel free to chime in any time about that.

They don't. It's pretty much why I go for PC. That and mods.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
War Monkey782
First Video: The first Unskippable

Postby War Monkey782 » 08 Dec 2011, 17:38

Get it. It's so fun.
Witty and humorous signature here.
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 09 Dec 2011, 05:13

it's a solid game, it has it's issues of course but what game doesn't?

If you enjoyed fallout 3 it's probably worth at least renting to try out, I'd normally recommend going with PC but I found the interface on the PC version irritating as it was clearly designed for consoles. Vegafre's right, try it first, I've been enjoying it enough to have clocked up 16 hours of play time but it's rarely the first game I look to play when I've made time to game - I just prefer Fallout 3 and even New Vegas I guess.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 09 Dec 2011, 06:20

I have 130 hours in it. And a lot of the time, it's been me thinking "Oblivion did it better. Oblivion did THAT better. Oblivion did that LOADS better." But every so often, you find something that completely amazes you and sucks you back in.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 Dec 2011, 14:46

I've heard bad things about 360 loading time for Skyrim.

Does anyone know it compares from 360 to PS3, load time wise?

I can't get it for PC, so that's going to be an unhelpful response :)
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 09 Dec 2011, 19:18

I did some research on it and a lot of people are saying that the PS3 is just as bad for horrendous loading times and lag, even as of the latest patch.

But I heard that there's a big patch for the consoles due in January that might address all this.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 09 Dec 2011, 19:33

Having done absolutely no research, would installing it to the Xbox hard-drive help? Or is it just a "XBox isn't powerful enough" thing?
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 09 Dec 2011, 20:57

My research says it doesn't matter if it's installed.

However, that was only one video.
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 10 Dec 2011, 04:16

Fugiman wrote:Having done absolutely no research, would installing it to the Xbox hard-drive help? Or is it just a "XBox isn't powerful enough" thing?

I doubt it's a matter of power, the xbox - while less powerful than the PS3 - should be powerful enough to run Skyrim, the game is far less demanding than it would appear, the PC system requirements are shockingly low.

It's probably due to the slow read speed of the 360s disk drive, open world games like Skyrim are often streaming environment data off the disk as you move around so a hard disk install *should* improve performance considerably.

Graham wrote:I've heard bad things about 360 loading time for Skyrim.

Does anyone know it compares from 360 to PS3, load time wise?

I can't get it for PC, so that's going to be an unhelpful response :)

The general consensus seems to be the same as it was for Fallout 3; buggy on both but worse on PS3. Yet again it seems that bethesda either put less effort into the PS3 release or didn't optimise it properly - though at least unlike fallout there aren't ridiculous draw distance issues on PS3 - or so I'm told.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 12 Dec 2011, 19:52

I've been very impressed with it on the X-Box so far (my disappearing furniture bug aside) but I've heard it looks even better if you have a hard drive you can install it to for higher resolution textures, which i currently do not have.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Dec 2011, 00:05

Well if it worked on Mac, I'd get it for my computer, but I'm not going to buy it on Steam if I have to boot into Windows every time. Might be worth it when it gets cheaper.

Lesser of two evils: PS3 it is!
Reggie
First Video: The Amendment

Postby Reggie » 13 Dec 2011, 18:16

I've only got the 360 version, as my computer is a hunk of junk that can't play Skyrim at any decent level. Loading times aren't great, but they're bearable. Of course, my standards are considerably lower than most gamers so your opinions may differ.
He hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here, and merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

Return to “Video Games”