Gaming Confessional

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Gaming Confessional

Postby Dibria » 11 Jan 2012, 04:45

Come and destroy your credibility, what generally perceived as terrible games do you love?

Have you spent hours playing Too Human?

Do you cringe when Graham criticises Bullet Witch?

Perhaps you don't understand why everyone hated WET so much?

Whatever the case admit it here so others can point and laugh - only one rule, if you make a joke about someone's terrible taste in games you also have to post a terrible game you love - it's only fair after all.

Personally, I make no secret that I play Final Fantasy XIV, and am continuing to do so even though they have now reintroduced charges and I am paying for it. Oh, and I also loved WET, it was silly fun.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Gaming Confessional

Postby Geoff_B » 11 Jan 2012, 05:04

As I've said elsewhere on numerous occasions, I loved FF8 and hated FFX. If I think of anything else I'll put it here.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Jan 2012, 07:19

My taste in games is much like my taste in movies; it has to be really...REALLY, staggeringly bad for me to not enjoy playing it.

So I can't really THINK of anything that fits the above from my perspective, but I'm sure there's plenty that I still play now that others would positively shun me for. :?
FourEyedTroll
First Video: Echo

Postby FourEyedTroll » 11 Jan 2012, 08:12

Spore got a bad reception, but I can't recall if that was just due to the DRM stuff.

I however loved it, though I am a bit of a Will Wright fanboy, my first game was SimCity, then on the PC my first game was SimCity 2000, then the first game I bought with my own money was The Sims.

I also cracked the admin password on an un-networked computer in our form room at school in the late 90s and installed SimCity 2000, SimFarm and SimEarth on it, so I guess it's less of a 'pattern' emerging and more of a slightly disturbing obsession with the Sim series of games you're seeing here.
The Old Ludensian

This Interweb is pretty nifty, eh?

Aka: Osprey or OspreyGBR, mostly in the world of PC Gaming.
MtG: Mono-Black Infect. Hand of the Praetors FTW!

LRRCraft Server Link: lrrmc.dahou.se
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 11 Jan 2012, 08:25

I really liked The Force Unleashed and still want to play the sequel.

Story be damned.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Jan 2012, 09:23

CounterStrike.

For the Xbox.

Bots only.
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 11 Jan 2012, 09:28

I can't really think of any games that are considered god awful that I've played. Well...maybe The Sims...but that'd be about it.
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 11 Jan 2012, 09:36

Vigafre wrote:I really liked The Force Unleashed and still want to play the sequel.

Story be damned.

+1

And lol sims. So bad.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 11 Jan 2012, 09:54

I didn't realise the Sims was badly received, I certainly hated it but I seemed to be the only person I knew who didn't play it, even people that didn't usually like video games. I thought I was the only person thinking 'ANOTHER ONE?????' when the Sims 3 was announced, I was so busy ignoring it I didn't notice it getting panned.

I was reminded by a conversation earlier, you know what I sank a ton of hours into and still love despite it's faults? Star Ocean: the Last Hope.

Voice acting - Terrible
Story - Don't go there
Setting - 'Space Date 10' - need I say more?

However the battle mechanics were awesome, it's just a shame that after 60 hours of game they are essentially unchanged from the start.
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 11 Jan 2012, 10:05

Come to think of it I suppose Final Fantasy X-2 might count. Despite cringing at points (pop idol Yuna anyone?) I still played it and got a fair bit of enjoyment out of it. Not saying I think it's a good game but there we go.
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 11 Jan 2012, 10:24

Geoff_B wrote:As I've said elsewhere on numerous occasions, I loved FF8 and hated FFX. If I think of anything else I'll put it here.

you are not alone in that mate. i never understood the hate FF8 gets. i understand the dislike of such an EMO lead character but i still enjoyed the overall plot and its gameplay and junction system were excellent IMO
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 11 Jan 2012, 10:28

I liked Duke Nukem Forever. It wasn't as great as the earlier ones but I got my shits and giggles out of it.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 11 Jan 2012, 10:39

Dibria wrote:I didn't realise the Sims was badly received, I certainly hated it but I seemed to be the only person I knew who didn't play it, even people that didn't usually like video games. I thought I was the only person thinking 'ANOTHER ONE?????' when the Sims 3 was announced, I was so busy ignoring it I didn't notice it getting panned.

The Sims was fine, Sims 2 was the one that I didn't enjoy much. Never bothered with expansions for it.

Sims 3 got panned? I missed that entirely. But then, EA tend to do that to good studios. They take their better franchises, and scrap or 'EA-clone' them into a poor excuse for the name they were sold under (See for reference Westwood, Bullfrog and Maxis).
The Old Ludensian

Dibria

Postby Dibria » 11 Jan 2012, 11:07

FourEyedTroll wrote:I didn't realise the Sims was badly received, I certaEA tend to do that to good studios. They take their better franchises, and scrap or 'EA-clone' them into a poor excuse for the name they were sold under (See for reference Westwood, Bullfrog and Maxis).

Bioware and your theory:

Mass Effect 2 - proves you wrong.

Dragon Age 2 - proves you... ah... er... never mind.

Critically Sims 3 was well received but I have never spoken to someone who played it that didn't have complaints. They made the critical error of making it graphically pretty, I know a lot of 'causal' gamers that wanted to play it but it wouldn't run on their laptops and most 'serious' gamer look at the sims and snort derisively. PROTIP: If you want to keep a franchise respected don't release expansions as full price games every few months. That said I will buy anything Bioware releases, even if it was 'We're giving EA all our money: the game' so I have no high ground.
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 11 Jan 2012, 11:30

One of my proverbial desert island games is Drakengard for PS2 despite the fact that its terrible.

Akitoshi Kawazu helmed Final Fantasy II and his greasy finger prince are all over the SaGa and Mana games. Say what you will about VIII, X-2 or XIII but if you wanna see a bad Final Fantasy give II a whirl. Likewise everything you've heard about Legend of Mana and Unlimited Saga is absolutely true. And yet they all personal favourites and I love the man's oeuvre.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 11 Jan 2012, 11:35

Dibria wrote:
FourEyedTroll wrote:I didn't realise the Sims was badly received, I certaEA tend to do that to good studios. They take their better franchises, and scrap or 'EA-clone' them into a poor excuse for the name they were sold under (See for reference Westwood, Bullfrog and Maxis).

Bioware and your theory:

Mass Effect 2 - proves you wrong.

Dragon Age 2 - proves you... ah... er... never mind.

There are quite a few people myslef included that prefer mass effect 1
over 2, andfeel that mass effect 2 was serviarly dumbed down and is little more than a gears of war clone.

as for my self I enjoyed Alpha protocol quite a bit.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 11 Jan 2012, 11:59

Trymantha wrote:There are quite a few people myslef included that prefer mass effect 1
over 2, andfeel that mass effect 2 was serviarly dumbed down and is little more than a gears of war clone.

Which game you prefer is however irrelevant as Mass Effect was released in November 2007 and EA acquired Bioware (or to be more exact their holding group) in October 2007, the game had already gone master, EA had no involvement in the first Mass Effect game. Even if you feel it was dumbed down it can't be called a poor clone of the first game, it was a development and well received for it's improvements over the first game. Dragon age 2 was critically received as a step backwards, I loved the game, but it was not the same game, Mass Effect 2 clearly is.

I greatly enjoyed both Mass Effect games but I think that calling ME2 little more than a gears of war clone is patently untrue, that is unless you are still referring to all third person shooters as gears of war clones in which case yes, it is a third person shooter. It certainly adds a lot for a 'gears of war clone', such as dialogue trees, technician and biotic abilities, upgradeable equipment, character creation... the list goes on.

If Mass Effect 2 was a gears of war clone I'd like gears of war a hell of a lot more.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 11 Jan 2012, 12:54

I have to agree, I prefer ME2 to ME1.

Also, Mirror's Edge tends to divide people, but I absolutely loved it.

Other than that... Madness Returns? I know a lot of people who couldn't stand it.

Oh, and Flower, Sun and Rain, which I still can't work out if it's being deliberately terrible or not, but either way falls into the so bad it's hilariously good fun category.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 11 Jan 2012, 13:05

Trymantha wrote:as for my self I enjoyed Alpha protocol quite a bit.

I also really enjoyed Alpha Protocol, to the point that I count it among my top five games of all time.

I've also put it far, far more time than I'd care to admit (even if I knew the exact number) into Runescape, both as a free player and as a paying subscriber, although that can be mostly blamed on a combination of my age, the low cost, and my terrible PC back when I played it. And up until last halloween I would still consistently log on to get the holiday items just in case I ever started playing again.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 11 Jan 2012, 13:13

I unashamedly love The Sims 3.

I only slightly ashamedly love Dragon Age 2.

And back in the day, I loved FF8, though I haven't played it in so long that I forget why.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 11 Jan 2012, 13:51

I LIKE MYST!

There! I said it! I regret nothing!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 11 Jan 2012, 20:22

I have many, but allow me to play my trump card in this topic of discussion:

Tecmo Secret of the Stars

I'd say that anyone that actually knows of the game gets an internet, but I'm sure all 2 of your faces just melted off.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 11 Jan 2012, 21:19

I've never liked FF7. I keep trying to go back and play it but each time I end up terribly bored and want to smash the game.

I should feel ashamed about liking this game, but one of my favorite games for the DS, and I should go back and finish it, is My World, My Way. Because sometimes you just want to play as a princess on a quest to find a boyfriend.
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 12 Jan 2012, 01:44

Zoombinis anyone?
The Old Ludensian

Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 12 Jan 2012, 06:13

Yeah, I'm another Sims lover here. I also have 25 Nancy Drew games (which are actually surprisingly good). I've also been known to pick up a hidden object game once in a while, probably because those are horribly, unashamedly bad.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.

Return to “Video Games”