Great And Free Indie Games

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Great And Free Indie Games

Postby theDreamer » 21 Jan 2012, 14:16

I love indie games:
  • Small teams and no publishers means cheap
  • Because the games are cheap, they can afford to take risks in design
  • Because the games have no publishers, they HAVE to take risks and be original otherwise they get no coverage and die
  • The low budgets mean they rely on gameplay more than graphics
  • The low budgets also cause them to harken back to days of yore and retro gaming, but with modern lessons in design

So yeah, I love indie games, but there are so many out there, and get so little coverage, how do you know what ones to play? Here is a short list of great, free games I've found recently that I really love, as well as a brief description by me.

Nitronic Rush
What happens when a team of student developers make a Tron style racing game for their final project? They spend the summer making the game even better, and release it for free as Nitronic Rush. This game REALLY needs a controller to handle well (and has native 360 support), but it's so good you should try it anyways. Single player only, it feels like someone took 2d platformer, and made you race through it in a car. You jump, spin, fly, and wall ride through the levels in a time trial, and can compete against your own or online ghost cars to do it. It looks and feels amazing. As a coder, I get wet looking at what they've put together.

Pax Britannica
This one is more a cute little experiment in game design. A 4 player (local only) strategy game played entirely with one button? How the hell does that work? The longer you press your button, the more resources you use, and when you release it, you make either a fighter, bomber, frigate, or upgrade your resource creation speed. The ships fight each other on their own, trying to destroy your enemies' main ships. Cute, simple, fun, and maybe 10 minutes of your time per game.

Stealh Bastard
"Like Super Meat Boy and Metal Gear Solid had a baby out of wed lock" I read somewhere, and that's the most apt description I've seen. Stealth gameplay is hard to make work in a 2d platformer(I'm looking at you Art of Theft), but Stealth Bastard makes it work. Hide in the shadows from robots and cameras, and try and escape the level as fast as you can.

Viriax
Play as a virus trying to infect an organ, surviving by stealing bloodcells and killing nanobots designed to stop you from reaching the top. Every jump takes blood, and you can only damage enemies by piledriving them from above. Fast and challenging gameplay couple with simple controls and great music make for a great game that feels like you could have played it in an arcade alongside pac-man.

Gang Garrison
Like TF2 but feel hats and alternate weapons have ruined the game? Sad because your shitty ass laptop can't run Valve's great team-based shooter? Try Gang Garrison. Online multiplayer, simplified versions of the classes (no hats or different weapons), and many, many maps. Also mods. Just, so fun.

Team Fortress Arcade
Speaking of TF2 demakes, do you like classic 4 player side scrolling beatem-ups, a la Golden Axe or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (or more modern Castle Crashers)? Now imagine one of them, only you and three friends play locally, and each of you can be one of the 9 classes from TF2.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Re: Great And Free Indie Games

Postby ANeMzero » 21 Jan 2012, 15:02

This game probably don't need the exposure as much as the ones in the original post, however when I think of "High Quality, Free Indie Games" this is the first one to come to mind.

Cave Story

You may recognize this title from the recent Steam release, Cave Story+ , which was also featured in the latest Humble Bundle. What you might not realize is that Cave Story started its life as a freeware indie title developed entirely by one man. The game is essentially a love letter to 16 bit platformers, such as Super Metroid or Megaman X. However it isn't afraid to play around a bit with the format, doing some rather interesting things with branching paths and difficulty, some of which are done with such subtly that you don't even realize they are happening.
and now; back to me.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 21 Jan 2012, 15:11

I have Cave Story+...I'm right in saying it's a complete re-release and thus I don't need to play Cave Story?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Jan 2012, 15:49

That's my understanding, yes. You won't be missing out on anything by giving the guy that made it money.

I just played through Team Fortress Arcade and had a lot of fun. I'll need to try a couple of the others this weekend I think :) Thanks for the list.

I can't think of any other games off the top of my head, but if I do I'll be sure to post them.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 21 Jan 2012, 16:31

theDreamer wrote:I have Cave Story+...I'm right in saying it's a complete re-release and thus I don't need to play Cave Story?

Correct, if you go into the options you can even enable the original graphics and music to play it "Classic" style. Beyond that the only real difference is the translation is a bit more professional, and there is a bonus level in CS+ for after you finish the game.
and now; back to me.

Return to “Video Games”