Steam Sales Awareness Thread!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Re: Steam Sales Awareness Thread!

Postby ANeMzero » 24 May 2012, 16:33

Somewhat of a Steam Sale, the Because We May sale is currently going from now until the end of the month.

It is an independently organized sale setup by a (large) handful of indie developers in support of the various online storefronts that let them call the shots and decide their own pricing, and change that pricing however they want, whenever they want. (Unlike, for example, Xbox Live Arcade)

Also, unrelated but interesting; Red Orchestra 2 is on sale and free-to-play this weekend in an attempt to effectively relaunch the game with their rather ironically titled "Game of the Year" patch. The whole reason for the patch was that the game released in such a broken, unbalanced and unenjoyable state that no one really plays it anyone, and as such the "GOTY" patch is.. about the furthest from the truth they can get. It is more of an "Oh god we hope this doesn't suck anymore" patch.

All of that having been said, it is a... satisfying game. It isn't quite the sort of shooter where it is possible to wrack up 50 kills in a single round, but rather it is a bit slower and more meticulous. Long range kills require a fair bit of skill and precision that lead to a real sense of fulfillment on each and ever successful shot.
and now; back to me.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Jun 2012, 15:40

Every Deus Ex is 75% off NOW!

I STRONGLY suggest at LEAST Deus Ex Game of the Year. And it's like £1.50 here so why not?

Also I loved Human Revolution.

Invisible War does not exist.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 29 Jun 2012, 00:33

So, we have Dawn of War sales on right now which I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in. 75% off the franchise which brings Space Marine down to 12 bucks. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

However, I'd like to point you towards that little one at the side. Analogue: A Hate Story, 40% off. It's a short game, especially for the visual novel genre but I think it's worth the $6 price to admission. I'll say this, though. This game gets pretty dark and the overall tone has feminism at its core especially in regards to gender roles as they may have existed a very long time ago.
Last edited by EikoandMog on 29 Jun 2012, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 29 Jun 2012, 04:19

Wait, since when does Space Marine fall under the Dawn of War franchise? No complaints though, sounds like a fair price!
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 09 Jul 2012, 12:05

Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 09 Jul 2012, 12:38

RedNightmare wrote:Wait, since when does Space Marine fall under the Dawn of War franchise? No complaints though, sounds like a fair price!

I suppose because they're based on the same IP it counts as a franchise. Which is kinda like saying Rogue Squadron is part of the same franchise as Kinect Star Wars.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 09 Jul 2012, 13:10

Keab42 wrote:Summer sale potentially leaked: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07 ... le-leaked/

I don't think that's so much leaked as inevitable at this point...

...guess it's time to start saving, not a whole lot I want to buy but I'm a sucker for a bargain.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 09 Jul 2012, 13:24

yeah, there really aren't that many games i want at this point. Although I might grab something for the summer. I'm more excited about Bioshock Infinite and AC3, neither of which i plan on buying at full price, but might well try to snag either at Christmas (for AC3) or this time next year. After that, I'll be looking forward to Rome 2 :) I guess i might try to get some of the DLC for Deux Ex and Arkham City and maybe a few games on the cheap. I haven't played an RTS in a while
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Jul 2012, 08:59

The Steam Summer Sale will very likely begin today, likely shortly after posting this. Some games are already discounted with the 'SUMMER SALE, ENDS JULY 23' reason given. The one I've seen is Batman: Arkham City: Harley's Revenge for 33% off.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 12 Jul 2012, 09:17

Ugh. Not a fan of the idea of voting on sales every eight hours, and of sales with durations shorter than 24 hours. It's not a big problem for me, but I could see it being very annoying to someone who doesn't have access to their computer for most of the day. I'm sure my opinion of it will be even lower if it means Arkham City doesn't get a big sale =/.

As for the reason for this thread... the only games on sale that I've played are Deus Ex: HR and Portal, which probably don't need any more recommending.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jul 2012, 21:54

Personally, I'm just disappointed there's no reward system like there has been for the last few sales. No tickets, no coal, nothing. Sad Kapol is sad. I blame, in part, the people who abused the humble indie bundle during the Christmas sale whole took a great deal of the gifts just to sell.

Oh well. For games on sale for daily deals, I'd recommend Portal series (dur). Shogun 2 is likely good if you like RTS games. Unfortunantly, while my PC can run it fine, my Keyboard and mouse layout is so crap that I can't really play it effectively (part of the reason I only care to use controllers). I'm personally thinking of picking up Legend of Grimrock. I've heard good things of it.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 13 Jul 2012, 01:33

Though this is probably no use for all of you who happen to be asleep currently, Trine2 won a community choice vote and is currently $3.75 for the next 5ish hours. You should look into it, it is all kinds of pretty and triney.
and now; back to me.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 13 Jul 2012, 02:26

if you want a decent turn based strategy, I would recommend any of the total war games other than Shogun 2. they're all cheaper and to be honest, i was really disappointed with Shogun. Empire, Napoleon, Rome and Medieval 2 are all far far better games. On a side note, excited for Rome 2 :)

I have so far got some DLC for Deux Ex, Crusader Kings 2 and a game called Hegemony: wars of Ancient Greece, because it looked fun and I like those type of games!

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 13 Jul 2012, 03:00

I'm hoping Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will drop a bit further in price. (at 40% it's still a bit over my budget right now. If it drops further my FIF will get the better of me for sure)

And at 75% off I just couldn't resist my FIF anymore. Surely Fallout 3 would be worth 5 bucks :wink:
Last edited by Dutch guy on 16 Jul 2012, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 13 Jul 2012, 03:56

Legend of Grimrock is a great little old school RPG thingy. seriously, check it out. I've played it for a bit and really dig the exploration vibe. it's only around 6 bucks (€5,99. don't know the american rate) and totally worth it as far as I can tell.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 13 Jul 2012, 07:37

Managed to grab Trine 2 (with soundtrack!) before it ended this morning. The original was one of my all time favourite indie games, and the soundtrack is just amazing. If it happens to show up again in a flash sale/daily deal consider this a strong recommendation for the original, and from all I've heard the sequel is just as good.

Edit: I also want to put forward a recommendation for Darksiders, which is on for $5 for the next hour. Those of you that listen to the LRRcasts might remember Paul speaking quite favourably of it. I was really surprised at it, it's much more of a knock-off of Zelda than God of War, which is what it looks like initially. It's not mindblowingly good, but if you enjoy that sort of game it's probably worth the price.

I wrote a book!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Jul 2012, 09:06

I would recommend picking up Hoard while it's on sale. It's a fun little arcade-y game where you get to burn things, collect gold, and eat people. How is that not a good time?
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 13 Jul 2012, 09:14

Today's deals just went up. Nothing that's too exciting for me, but I would suggest Max Payne 1&2 to anyone that hasn't played them. The bundle is 75% off ($3.74 USD) and, as someone who played them for the first time last year, I think they hold up really well and are a ton of fun, and the writing is great. Don't let their age be a deterrent if you're interested.

I wrote a book!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 13 Jul 2012, 10:12

I hate flash sales. I Can't monitor Steam all day due to this thing called work. And you can bet that the games I want will be discounted when I can't do anything about it.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 13 Jul 2012, 10:22

Is Anno 2070 worth it for £15? Considering I love Civilization.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 13 Jul 2012, 10:26

Keab42 wrote:I hate flash sales. I Can't monitor Steam all day due to this thing called work. And you can bet that the games I want will be discounted when I can't do anything about it.

Yeah, it's a pretty bad method. I suspect their decision to do this was related to their recent smartphone thing that let's you buy games and start downloads remotely. I'm wondering if they're going to repeat some of the sales as daily deals or even second flash sales at different times. Either way, it's not a great system.

I wrote a book!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 13 Jul 2012, 10:48

Is Max Payne 3 worth it for £14.99?
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 13 Jul 2012, 12:38

I'm hoping that Duels of the Planeswalkers goes on sale at some stage. I have just played the demo and really enjoyed it. The main barrier for me getting into Magic is cost and the fact that i don't know anyone else locally who plays, so playing it on the computer would be perfect. here's hoping

My Twitter

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Jul 2012, 21:28

Alan Wake is on sale. If you can run it and afford it, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting it. It's one of my favorite games in a long time.

EDIT: Note-American Nightmare, which is basically stand-alone DLC, is also 75% off, making it just under $4 in the US.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 13 Jul 2012, 23:11

Alice: Madness Returns is 75% off for the next 10 hours.

If you don't mind extremely dark and disturbing, get it, it's fantastic.

Return to “Video Games”