Steam Sales Awareness Thread!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Steam Sales Awareness Thread!

Postby Kapol » 14 Jul 2012, 05:52

I'm starting to question the legitimatecy of the 'choice' deals. As seen Here, Metro 2033 won. Yet Bioshock was the one that got the sale.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 14 Jul 2012, 07:50

errrm....
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 Jul 2012, 09:18

Some very good games on today.
Trine 2: Bought it during the flash sale and am loving it so far. The first was amazingly fun, and if you enjoy puzzley platformers at all I'd highly recommend it.

Hitman series: I played these for the first time only a year or two back.
The original feels very old, and I ended up cheating to beat it because some of the levels are ridiculously fursterating. The second one is very good, and Blood Money is one of my all time favourite games. At first I was hesitant about the game; the subject matter seemed a bit to dark for my tastes, but it does a good job of keeping it all relatively light for a game about murder. If you think you're at all interested in the series, I'd strongly suggest playing them in order. Each one makes vast improvements to the gameplay, and it's hard to go backwards. Plus, they're dirt cheap.

Mount & Blade: I've put over 100 hours into the original game and am nearing 50 on Warbands. Fire & Sword was alright, but it felt a bit lackluster compared to the other two, and the claims to have an actual plot are pretty overblown. The main entries are a ton of fun, incredibly replayable, and have a lot of mods (if you're into that kind of thing). I'd recommend Warbands over the original, as it adds a lot more features and all you miss out on is compatibility with some mods. I personally play the base game most of the time, so it's my preferred choice. They all have demos that are pretty small files, so give them a try if you think they sound interesting.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 15 Jul 2012, 10:03

For the indie bundle for today (which I own 4/5 of... again, and the fifth is the one almost as expensive as the whole thing >_<):

Haven't played Valley. Atom Zombie Smasher is still one of my favorite 'surprisingly good' games and I really enjoyed it. Blocks that matter is an interesting little puzzler. I haven't beaten it but it is pretty solid in terms of gameplay. Sanctum is a decent FPS-Tower-Defense at worst. Haven't gotten around to playing Swords and Sorcery yet, but I'd think most would own it from that amazing Humble Bundle recently.

Flash sales:

I'm disappointed that Quantum Conundrum didn't win as I would have bought it if it had.

Q.U.B.E. is a solid puzzler similar to Portal in many ways. Unfortunantly it doesn't have the biting humor of Portal (or anything at all really). But it makes up for it by having solid puzzles, interesting design, and a good mechanic to drive it.

Killing floor is a solid FPS wave-based hoard-like shooter that gets a lot of dev support during events like this. Every summer and winter it gets a new map for free it seems like. I enjoyed what I've played of it.

Magicka... it's good, but I didn't care for it that much.

Main sales:

Darkness 2 is fun so far. I've played a couple chapters. The co-op missions, while unneccessary, are nifty and have their own little story. And thankfully you don't need to play co-op to do them.

Saints Row 3 is amazingly fun in my opinion. It's one of the few games I've gotten 100% completion in (before the DLC came out). Pick it up if you have the chance.

Serious Sam 3 is pretty good. I'd recommend trying it if you like old-school shooters.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 15 Jul 2012, 10:48

Kapol wrote:I'm disappointed that Quantum Conundrum didn't win as I would have bought it if it had.

Be slightly less disappointed! Amazon has Steam QC codes at 40% off, which is even lower than it would have been had it won the vote.

A little gift from your friend the Fiscal Irresponsibility Fairy.
and now; back to me.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 15 Jul 2012, 11:11

It's totally worth it. It's very portal-esque and some of the puzzles are a bit finicky, but overall I'm enjoying it.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 16 Jul 2012, 02:05

So far only both Legend of Grimrock, but its freaking amazing. It's hard to discribe, but it has an old-school vibe in a modern jacket. check the PA report article about it to get an idea what it's about.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 16 Jul 2012, 10:18

Weird, I could have sworn I made a post about this already...

At just 5 Euro´s my FIF got the better of me, and I purchased Fallout 3 (Game of the Year edition)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 16 Jul 2012, 15:59

Two of my wish listed games on sale today, got Fable: The Lost Chapters and Age of Empires 3 for less than a tenner :D
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Jul 2012, 17:02

Honestly, I want to pick up the Fable collection. But... spending money isn't wise when it's only halfway done... I just don't know what to do. T_T I suppose I'll take a risk and see if it goes on sale again.

Also, DR2:OtR is pretty good. If you liked Dead Rising and haven't picked up 2, I'd recommend it because it's like an improved version of 1. If you haven't played DR at all, then I'd recommend it because it's a lot of fun. If you already have DR2, then... you likely should skip it. I don't think it adds enough to justify another purchase. But I did enjoy it to be fair.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 16 Jul 2012, 18:15

Got Fable 1 and F3AR! For a grand total of £7!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Jul 2012, 04:13

This basically sums this whole Summer Sale thing up for me:

That, and it takes two weeks to deposit money into my PayPal account since my credit cards are only still in my wallet to serve as reminders about where the bulk of my wages are going...

And as for the 'flicker' sales and the voting, I'd have said VALVe was copying GOG, or at least they'd managed to scoop Gabe & Co...
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 17 Jul 2012, 07:58

I'm going to take this time to bring attention to the fact that The Ship is 75% off for the duration of the sale, putting it at the rather tantalizing $5 mark.

Now you might be asking yourself "What the hell is the Ship?" Well, it is a source-based multiplayer game that mixes subterfuge and assassination with The Sims. At the start of each round each player is given a "Quarry" to murder. There is also a list generated of preferred weapons, the higher up the list a weapon is the more money you'll score if you successfully assassinate your target with it.

Of course, at the same time you have to avoid your own assassin, while still managing your various needs (Hunger, sleep, hygiene, entertainment). If you let your stats drop too low you may find yourself incapacitated at the most inopportune moment. There is nothing more embarrassing than being bludgeoned over the head with a baseball bat while you wet yourself in the middle of a hallway.

Now you say "Well, wait, if this is a multiplayer game that been out for 5 years and I've never even heard of it, how am I even supposed to find people to play with?" and that my friend is a great question, one that has actually been addressed by the publisher.

Thanks to their brilliant "Recursive Ship" promotion you don't *need* to find people to play it with. Each copy comes with two giftable copies you can give to friends and then the "Recursive" function kicks in and those friends get a giftable copy of their own to hand out. During this current sale 5 people can play for $5. With one purchase you get enough copies (though you may lack some control over them) to organize a decent sized game.
and now; back to me.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Jul 2012, 06:51

There's about 2 hours left on Just Cause 2 for $3.75. I can't fathom how amazing that price is. I've put over 100 hours into the it. It's the only game I've ever gotten every achievement in. If you like that sort of sandboxy shooter games at all it would be almost criminal not to buy it at this price.

I wrote a book!
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 18 Jul 2012, 13:47

Got the Thief series for £5. Wasn't really looking to buy anything. I was just adding a game to my wishlist for that badge. Saw that on sale, heard nothing more than "Thief is good" and "stealth game" and thought "£5 for three games? Why not!"
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 18 Jul 2012, 14:33

I'd just put Thief 2 and Recettear to my Wishlist and they go straight on sale D:

Are the other games in the Carpe Fulgur pack worth it? Recettear's concept just intrigued me, just wondering if it's worth going for the others as well.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 18 Jul 2012, 15:20

Debating whether to buy the Brothers in Arms bundle. 16 euros isn't all that much, and I want to support that series because they are great games. (The first 2 especially)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Jul 2012, 20:39

Dragon Age: Origins is on for $5. I expect most people that are interested in this already have it, but if you don't consider this a strong recommendation. I'd call it one of my all time favourites.

Although I wouldn't really suggest paying the extra for the Awakening expansion. I only managed to get a few hours into it, it was a big let down after the quality of the original game.

I wrote a book!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 18 Jul 2012, 23:12

Really? I thought Awakening was quite good. And for $5 for the original game you might as well get all the extra stuff with it, if only to be a completionist.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jul 2012, 23:54

I thought Awakening was good, but I felt like it ended rather abruptly. Now, Dragon Age 2 on the other hand...

Still, Steam sales always serve as a sad reminder of how many games I have that I've never even really touched, particularly the summer and winter sales.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 19 Jul 2012, 01:31

LogicSword wrote:I'd just put Thief 2 and Recettear to my Wishlist and they go straight on sale D:

Are the other games in the Carpe Fulgur pack worth it? Recettear's concept just intrigued me, just wondering if it's worth going for the others as well.

Completely up to you. Chantelise is kind of dull in my opinion but if you like the style, there's a bit for you there. Fortune Summoners is surprisingly tough as nails and I had a bit of fun with it when it wasn't frustrating me to all hell.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 19 Jul 2012, 07:00

I think part of my problem with Awakening is that I got Origins at release, so by the time the expansion showed up I was more or less done with the game. I didn't remember precisely what all my spells did, and since my tactics usually relied heavily on other party members (go go gadget triple mages!) I found the combat felt lackluster after the original. Top that off with a plot and new cast that didn't grab my attention, and I just couldn't muster the effort to get very far into it.

Maybe I'll give it another try some time since you guys think it's good. :)

I wrote a book!
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 19 Jul 2012, 07:12

Awakening was alright. Nowhere near as good as the first one. Interesting puzzles though. I'd have happily ignored it if it wasn't for the fact I wanted to know more about the story. I just couldn't leave that unfinished.

So worth one playthrough but I'd not catch myself going back.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 19 Jul 2012, 13:43

The Longest Journey £1.49 on Steam for the next hour and twenty minutes! You might want to get on that.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 19 Jul 2012, 14:21

I did. Grabbed the bundle that had Dreamfall as well. This has been about my only purchase so far.

Return to “Video Games”