Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Re: Mass Effect 3

Postby psychopez » 23 Mar 2012, 12:58

Alright, let's change the tenor of the conversation, if just for a moment:

This link is ME3 spoilers.

If you click it, especially if you paragoned the game, someone will start slicing up onions around you.

You have been warned.
@mhasko
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Mar 2012, 13:06

Reblogged. That was awesome. I did actually cry at that moment, probably more than other moments.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Mar 2012, 14:32

That...that actually made me grin with glee and hope.

Thank you.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Mar 2012, 14:36

Manly tears: Wrex and Eve going to name their child Mordin.

The_Doctor
First Video: le cafe

Postby The_Doctor » 23 Mar 2012, 14:41

:(

EDIT: As an aside there must have been three or four different characters throughout the game that said they were going to name their kids shepherd... thats alot of shepherds
Has Tardis, will travel
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Mar 2012, 14:47

You'd think someone would think to ask what his/her first name actually is by now...

Edit: Silly me. His/her first name is Commander!

Fawlkes
First Video: Cursing

Postby Fawlkes » 23 Mar 2012, 16:22

Shepard will be the most popular name of the next generation.
Also did you ever get Chakwas drunk in 3? she has a funny conversation about Shepard's first name
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Mar 2012, 16:24

No I decided to wait so we could toast our victory together. Silly me

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Mar 2012, 17:33

When Jacob said his wifey wife wanted to name their child Shepard, I thought how retarded she was to give a surname as a first name.
Jones Jones for example.

Anyway, everyone knows Shepard's first name is Leopard. Leopard Shepard.
empath

Postby empath » 23 Mar 2012, 20:55

You must HATE Taylor Swift, then...and whole generations of people by now. ;)
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 24 Mar 2012, 04:40

My regards to the ending is simple;

If they keep it as it is, just give me closure on the rest of my squad, particularly Kaidan, who I forsook romance in the second game to keep. There's no closure, nothing. That's why I was disappointed. Keep the space-child-mumbo-jumbo bollocks if you want, but let me know what happened to the rest of my squad.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Mar 2012, 06:43

I'm pretty sure Shepard first name is supposed to be Jammy ;)

Speaking names, did anyone else play Dragon Age II and name Hawke "Ebon" and then think they were really clever?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 Mar 2012, 06:50

^ That. I really want to know what happened to everyone else.

Also here's a question for those of you who got the Collector's Edition (or otherwise have managed to obtain the soundtrack):

What are your favourite parts of the soundtrack? My top 5 (with spoilered reasons) are:

5. Das Malefitz - Okay it's the featured Faunts piece but it fits the "brave new world" theme very well
4. An End Once And For All - Say what you like about the ending but this was the perfect music to put to it. Loss and triumph all rolled into one.
3. A Future For The Krogan - Listen to this and tell me that saving the Krogan wasn't the right decision to make
2. Stand Strong, Stand Together - The ultimate in inspiring speeches
1. The Fleet Arrives - It's almost as if the music is saying "This is what you've been working towards over three games."

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Mar 2012, 09:38

Jamfalcon wrote:I'm pretty sure Shepard first name is supposed to be Jammy ;)

Speaking names, did anyone else play Dragon Age II and name Hawke "Ebon" and then think they were really clever?

My Hawke was named Sparrow. Sparrow Hawke.
empath

Postby empath » 24 Mar 2012, 12:42

Drinnik wrote:My regards to the ending is simple;

If they keep it as it is, just give me closure on the rest of my squad, particularly Kaidan, who I forsook romance in the second game to keep. There's no closure, nothing. That's why I was disappointed. Keep the space-child-mumbo-jumbo bollocks if you want, but let me know what happened to the rest of my squad.

This. Even if it end up as 'a series of humourous character epilogues' homage to Animal House, at least it's some CLOSURE.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 Mar 2012, 12:45

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 24 Mar 2012, 12:56

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:When Jacob said his wifey wife wanted to name their child Shepard, I thought how retarded she was to give a surname as a first name.
Jones Jones for example.

I don't why that's such an issue, really. My Shepard's first name is Morgan, why not use that instead? Hell, "Morgan" is even a gender-neutral first name, so a boy or a girl could have it. Is it really that hard to convince your other half to name your child something else, Jacob?

... you do know what Shepard's first name is, right? I mean, after everything you went through, literally going to hell and back, you do know her first name. I mean, how couldn't you. Right? Right?

... oh, you fucking prat...
ImageImageImageImage
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 Mar 2012, 12:59

"Of course I do! Right we'll name our baby 'Commander'!"

Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 24 Mar 2012, 13:41

empath wrote:

This. Even if it end up as 'a series of humourous character epilogues' homage to Animal House, at least it's some CLOSURE.

Like this?
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 24 Mar 2012, 13:51

So, here's something I was thinking about at work earlier today that I'd like you to muse over, if you've played the game to it's end:

For whatever reason I was thinking about the relay explosions in ME3's ending and, particuarly, what systems were going to be completely wiped out by them (the ending gave me no reason to assume anything short of an "Arrival"-style supernova would occur). Earth itself would be fine because the Charon Relay isn't in our solar system. Some of the other races' home planets? Not so much...

Let's see... I'm fairly certain that Palavan's system had a relay in it, so that's gone. Thessia's gone, too. Tuchanka's been utterly destroyed as well. Likewise for Rannoch (good to see that brokering peace between the quarians and geth worked out in the long run, eh?). Omega is essentially double fucked because there's not one, but two Mass Relays in it's system.

Then it hit me: the Omega 4 Relay. The ending gave me no reason not to assume that the Omega 4 Relay wouldn't be "linked" to like every other relay in existence after the Crucible fired. So logically, along with that relay also exploding, it would also pass along the destruct signal to it's sister relay in the galactic core. I'm not a scientist, so for obvious reasons I wouldn't know, but from a theoretical standpoint exactly what kind of effect would a supernova-scale explosion in the galactic core have on things? If it does anything at all I can hardly imagine it'll be "good".
ImageImageImageImage
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 Mar 2012, 14:03

And here are my musings on that:

In Arrival, the relay was destroyed because the mass effect field overloaded. It tried to transport the asteroid but was unable to (maybe it had too much mass?). The energy build up had no way to discharge and exploded uncontrollably, destroying the system.

At the end of 3 however the relays spin up at an incredibly fast rate as we see on screen, but the energy is discharged along the relay's rails before the relay explodes. The structure of the relay is destroyed but, since there is no remaining energy build up, the system is largely unaffected save for a few possible debris impacts. There is still some residual energy left in the relay (as the explosion takes the colour of the energy wave sent through it) but it is nowhere near enough to destroy the system it is located in.

So what I'm trying to say is that here the energy was directed, where as in Arrival it was completely uncontrolled.

Does that make sense?

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 24 Mar 2012, 14:24

Fair enough, but...

... even in this hypothetical the Omega 4 Relay's "sister" relay is only linked back to the Omaga 4 Relay itself, so in theory there wouldn't be anywhere to direct and discharge the energy to. Without another link in the system the relay would still explode, so my question still stands. Supernova-scale explosion in the galactic core; what would the negative effects of that be, if any?
ImageImageImageImage
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 Mar 2012, 14:27

I can't answer question (maybe one of our esteemed astronomers can) but maybe the situation wouldn't arise because in all likelihood the Omega 4 relay shut down after the events of 2, presumably after Cerberus went to salvage the remains of the Human Reaper. But yeah I can see your point that eventually you'd run out of endpoints and then where would the discharge go?

empath

Postby empath » 24 Mar 2012, 14:29

Drinnik wrote:
empath wrote:

Like this?

Gee...might that be the inspiration for my statement? ...maaaaaaybe :)

But even so, you see what I'm getting at.

...and cynically, I can see a business sense in leaving these loose ends open. Image

ARTISTICALLY, it's sloppy and dubious, but from a sheer marketing standpoint...

Of course, I could also say to anyone who rants and raves about having to pay for a 'epilogue DLC': "Why did you bother buying ME2 etc., then? Isn't this the same argument - you're being asked to pay more for a continuation of the story and open plot threads started by the original game. Who said authoritatively that 'Mass Effect will consist of only three chapters and come to a finite conclusion at the end of the third'? Maybe the end of Shep's story, but not the setting in general - Star Wars games aren't fixated only on the character of Kyle Katarn." :P
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Mar 2012, 08:02

Vanguard wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:When Jacob said his wifey wife wanted to name their child Shepard, I thought how retarded she was to give a surname as a first name.
Jones Jones for example.

I don't why that's such an issue, really. My Shepard's first name is Morgan, why not use that instead? Hell, "Morgan" is even a gender-neutral first name, so a boy or a girl could have it. Is it really that hard to convince your other half to name your child something else, Jacob?

... you do know what Shepard's first name is, right? I mean, after everything you went through, literally going to hell and back, you do know her first name. I mean, how couldn't you. Right? Right?

... oh, you fucking prat...

Dante?

With regards to explosion at Galactic core. There's a super massive blackhole at the centre. I would imagine that would suck up the energy. Though if Energy can be converted to mass, it would give is *a lot* of extra mass. Would that negatively effect the galaxyif the Black Hole is bigger?

Return to “Video Games”