Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS!

Postby Matt » 26 Jun 2012, 15:21

So, ME3 has a fourth ending that I activated by mistake.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 26 Jun 2012, 16:40

Matt: Is that the one you get when you summon a horde of ungrateful fans to make a frightful internet ruckus? I think that one's the toughest to get!

I kid, I kid. Is it the one you get if you take too long? I'm kind of annoyed that one's there at all. It feels pointless to do that to the player.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2012, 20:06

I just saw the Synthesis ending (which I was going to stick with anyways), and... I have to say that I kinda dislike just how obvious they made it as the 'best' ending. I mean, before there could be some debate and discussion. I really don't think that's the case anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about it overall above the first version though. The first version had it fairly open for interpretation and I was fond of how I thought of things happening. Now that's gone, but I don't hate the new ending (even if it is a bit over-the-top good).

[Warning, spoilers from this point forward]

For the choices being changed at the end... I dunno. It felt like they kinda shifted the last part so it wouldn't so clearly hurt the work that Shepard did, like how it didn't mention the Geth and EDI would be destroyed if the destroy option was chosen. Though I actually think that was kinda good since it still happened that way. The star-child didn't make it a big deal that it would happen which meant the player would have to consider them in the choice. It's interesting to see how they fixed the 'mass relays being destroyed' problem. as well.

One thing they seemed to miss the chance to do though is during the scene where they put Shepard's name on the memorial. They really should have had Shephard's first name on there too. Kind of tie it in a bit more and have the chance to make it more personal for the player.

The picture of Kasumi with the light-version of her friend (can't remember his name) looked amazing.

Adding an option to refuse is interesting. I'll try to see how hard it'll be to watch it.

The after-credits scene remains entirely pointless and unnecessary in my opinion. They should have just cut it right out.

The last message was changed to be more of a personal message from Bioware rather then 'keep an eye out for more stuff to buy!' That's nice.

Overall, I find it a pretty good extension to the ending. Just nothing amazing and I know it won't please some people. But oh well. One thing I did REALLY like was the fact they lowered the required number of active war assets for the best ending. Having it impossible to get without multiplayer (as it had been before) was complete BS. If anyone doesn't know, it's now 3,100.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 04 Jul 2012, 15:12

I liked the extended ending. It did all I wanted it to; explain the gaps in the original ending and give me closure.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Jul 2012, 03:06

I liked it as well. It did feel at times like Bioware was going out of their way to answer every question the fans had eg How did Hackett know Shepard was on the station. It's like they set out to deliberately shoot down the indoctrination theory every way they could.

Although I felt Shepard should have called out Catalyst a bit more on the fact that his "solution" to synthetics killing organics was for synthetics to kill organics.

On the whole I'm pleased with it. Especially all the post game bits they put in. But yeah the Stargazer tag could have been left out.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Jul 2012, 05:02

Is it worth me booting up ME3 and trying this out?
I haven't done it yet due to:
a)How much far back to have to go to experience every bit of it.
b) I got very invested during the game and got emotionally attached to it. It'll be very hard for me to go back.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Jul 2012, 14:52

You only need to go from the start of the final London mission - as jumping in at the Charon relay onwards so it's not that far. It didn't take me very long.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Jul 2012, 15:14

The thingy I watched mentioned the Cerberus basey thing :S
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 09 Jul 2012, 15:35

It says you should start at the Cerberus base. But I don't remember anything really happening that different around there.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Jul 2012, 23:13

I didn't start from there. In fact I didn't see any new stuff until the final push to the citadel beam.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Jul 2012, 01:58

I'll give it a go when I'm less wounded by the spite that is the Job Centre.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2012, 07:25

Geoff_B wrote:I didn't start from there. In fact I didn't see any new stuff until the final push to the citadel beam.

I'm pretty sure there is some new stuff before that, but I can't recall where off hand. And I was going by what the dev said. I remember reading in an Escapist article for the DLC that they say you should start before the Cerberus hideout in order to get it all. It might have been more for the coding or something similar to work best rather then because of scenes being in the hideout.

EDIT: Actually, it's on the ME website here: http://www.masseffect.com/about/extended_cut/

From what I've read while trying to find that, it's because it's when you choose to attack the Cerberus Base is when your EMI gets locked in and decided. Meaning that the lowering of the required EMI for the best ending to 3100 wouldn't take effect without it. There's also a slight scene after the attack on the Cerberus base.

(I also said Collector's multiple times when writing that out. >_<)
Last edited by Kapol on 10 Jul 2012, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Jul 2012, 08:07

I'm going Synthesis anyway.

I really cba with that fight with the emo character who insta gibbs you.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 11 Jul 2012, 03:12

Kapol wrote:From what I've read while trying to find that, it's because it's when you choose to attack the Cerberus Base is when your EMI gets locked in and decided. Meaning that the lowering of the required EMI for the best ending to 3100 wouldn't take effect without it. There's also a slight scene after the attack on the Cerberus base.

Do you mean that if you don't start from the Cerberus base you don't get the low EMS threshold for the ending? Because I definitely don't have anywhere near 4000 EMS and I still got the so-called "best ending" when I chose destruction.

But then I saw that it did in fact kill off EDI so I went back and chose Synthesis.

Actually from the changes it looks like Control might be a contender for the best ending - Everyone lives, including Shepard who's now part of the Citadel but still a distinct entity

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Jul 2012, 10:09

Geoff_B wrote:
Kapol wrote:From what I've read while trying to find that, it's because it's when you choose to attack the Cerberus Base is when your EMI gets locked in and decided. Meaning that the lowering of the required EMI for the best ending to 3100 wouldn't take effect without it. There's also a slight scene after the attack on the Cerberus base.

Do you mean that if you don't start from the Cerberus base you don't get the low EMS threshold for the ending? Because I definitely don't have anywhere near 4000 EMS and I still got the so-called "best ending" when I chose destruction.

But then I saw that it did in fact kill off EDI so I went back and chose Synthesis.

That was just what I read to be honest. I don't know. If you mean Sythesis though, that's available under 4000 anyways. According to the wiki, if you have 4000+ (or 3100+ with the DLC installed), then you get: "If EMS is 4000+ and the Destroy option is chosen, Shepard is seen barely alive, gasping for breath (if Anderson is shot by the Illusive Man, the player needs 5000+ EMS to see this short scene)" At least if that's not what you're talking about.

That's part of the reason I refused to choose destruction or Control. I don't want to destroy EDI/Geth, and I don't want to take away their control along with the reapers, which I'm assuming it would.

It's hard to say Sythesis isn't meant as the 'good' ending because of just how much it really hammers into you that things are great because of it. Or at least it did for me. That said it really felt like it was trying to be too 'sweet' to me.

As for the Shephard thing: You could say the same about sythesis, since he lives on in everyone in a way, using his energy along with the cruicible to change everyone. Though, to be frank, I really prefer Shephard sacrificing himself anyways.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 19 Jul 2012, 01:07

Stupid EA servers being down. I want to play some Mass Effect, but I'm too afraid to without the servers being up.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 19 Jul 2012, 02:48

Shepard's voice sounds incredibly sinister in the Control ending. Think I'll stick with synthesis.

Return to “Video Games”