Syndicate

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Syndicate

Postby Cureless_Poison » 29 Feb 2012, 02:46

Came out just over a week ago now, anyone else got their hands on it?

I picked it up earlier for PC and have been playing it for a bit, and I gotta say I quite like it. It's nice to break from all the Battlefield and CoD titles and try out something a little different every once in a while.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Syndicate

Postby Geoff_B » 29 Feb 2012, 04:34

There's just one question I have: Does it have the Persuadertron?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 29 Feb 2012, 16:29

Apparently, it does...sort of...

I may just check this out after the 'Gamma testing' timeframe has passed; I played that game with DXHR, and "once bitten, twice shy".

Seems to have been FPS'ified, but in all honesty, that may not be a BAD thing. :)
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 29 Feb 2012, 17:41

It has an incarnate of the Persuadertron, you don't have a designated device for it, but you do have an ability that uses the same basic function.

While switching to FPS sounds simpler, I think it still maintains a good level of complexity to it. There's the basic health and energy pools to manage, abilities and their cooldowns, and 'Breaching' aka Hacking.

Breaching covers a lot of aspects of this game, you can defuse grenades, use your abilities, deploy cover, engage machinery or override systems to kill people. That and there is also a cover system implemented, but I personally I don't you'll use it much since you get flanked at every opportunity.

Speaking of which, the AI does not mess around in this game. I found myself being surprised quite often from the ingenuity that the AI was deploying and how the NPC's acted together in combat. While the AI does fall a fair bit short in the boss department, bosses fights are repetitive and differentiate only slightly in tactics. But still remain frustratingly difficult until you learn their tricks.

The story isn't anything special, typical corporate back-stabbing nonsense. But the game universe itself is extremely interesting, with a bold yet stylish digital art style. I spent a good amount of time admiring the scenery of the game and taking in the general environment of the game world.

Oh and it's really short, 20 levels +3 tutorials but it only lasts about 6-8 hours. Short but sweet, a nice gem in the early start of the year hopefully leading the way for more to come in the year.
empath

Postby empath » 29 Feb 2012, 18:03

I got the feeling from the promo stuff that they're looking at some multiplayer longevity from it...anything materialize from that?
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 29 Feb 2012, 18:21

I've heard it's got a really beefy co-operative campaign. There's no competitive multiplayer.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 01 Mar 2012, 00:07

I'm sorry if I can't equip the Persuadertron and hear the voice go "Persuadertron... selected" then it's not Syndicate. Actually I think that was only in Syndicate Wars but still.

Phunny story: after playing it round a mate's house the next day at school we were hanging out and I just randomly said "Persuadertron" and he automatically said "selected". Was hilarious at the time.

empath

Postby empath » 03 Mar 2012, 15:20

Well, here's a little salve to your nostalgia, Geoff: fun with the Persuadertron.

(This was totally my modus operandi whenever possible; just 'charm' a horde of followers and defeat my enemies simply by making friends of them...also the primary reason I found the final level to be so impassible ;^) )

Oh, and you can take a peek over here to get the weapon sounds as .WAVs ("In-game weapons sounds (WAVs in ZIP)"); I may just insert the Persuadertron sound into my Windows Theme... :twisted:
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 03 Mar 2012, 15:24

I had fun when I was playing with that same mate on co op. I would just have one of my guys have persuadertron all the time. "What army? Oh this army! Where did you all come from?"

Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 04 Mar 2012, 13:20

One of my favourite Syndicate memories is setting people on fire, watching them walk six steps, scream, take another six steps, repeat, then die.

... I was a special child.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

empath

Postby empath » 05 Mar 2012, 07:56

Well, you've been a cop, too, so you didn't turn out ALL bad. :)
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 05 Mar 2012, 15:53

Vigafre wrote:I've heard it's got a really beefy co-operative campaign. There's no competitive multiplayer.

This is true. My brother's syndicate is floating around 80th in the world for competitively killing bots.

I know a lot of people say the multiplayer is way better but if its just the single player with co-op, whats the damn difference?
empath

Postby empath » 05 Mar 2012, 19:50

um...instead of raging at people for camping you, you rage at lusers for screwing up your match, a la LoL or DotA(2)? ;)
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 05 Mar 2012, 21:46

empath wrote:...

um...instead of raging at people for camping you, you rage at lusers for screwing up your match, a la LoL or DotA(2)? ;)

Probably.

I have heard my brother scream "You newbie! You have to stay in the circle when you reboot people! No, don't Run off! Stay in the circle!"
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 05 Mar 2012, 23:01

I'm pretty sure the co-op and single player are two separate campaigns.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 06 Mar 2012, 13:51

Yup very different, tried both and co-op is pretty bad ass. However with Mass Effect 3 looming I won't be able to give it the time it deserves.

Return to “Video Games”