*sigh* Time to open Pandora's Box...

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: *sigh* Time to open Pandora's Box...

Postby Vigafre » 08 Mar 2012, 12:27

Didn't really kill anything that sells food predominantly (yes, I know they sell food on Amazon).

And personally, I feel like it'd be way too much trouble to buy food online, but this isn't the thread to discuss that.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Mar 2012, 18:32

Why not? :)

It's original purpose has been fulfilled, and forum drift happens naturally, so I ask again; pourquoi pas?
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 08 Mar 2012, 18:41

Mostly cuz this is on the Games and Gaming forum. If this was General Discussion, I probably wouldn't have cared.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 08 Mar 2012, 20:48

I'll get the ball rolling then. Since I don't care!

I had a teacher who bought food online. She wanted to by rolls. So she put in "Quantity: 6", thinking she'd get 6 rolls. Nope! She got 6 packs of 6 rolls! 36 rolls! She was going through a pack a day to try not to waste them!

Also, there's the issue of "Is what I'm buying fresh online? Am I getting the day-old stuff at full price?" I love going down to a supermarket in the morning and buying the freshest, warmest doughnuts. How do I know they're not going to be the freshest, warmest doughnuts of yesterday when I get them today? Do I also have to pay extra for the delivery-monkey? Do I need to chuck in a few bananas to my list to appease him?

And then the case of "WHEN is it coming?" Right now I'm incapacitated. But I also sleep a lot due to it. Now I have a VERY nosy neighbour. Just today I slept in through a delivery. Normally what they do is take it to the post office and I need to go down and show ID.

Now this neighbour REALLY puts on the "Oh I'm too sick to do anything myself! You need to go down to the shops to buy bread, milk and a bottle of vodka!" And my mum obligingly did it. I said to her "She does NOT need a bottle of vodka every day. Stop going down there for her! She does not medically need vodka! If it was just bread and milk, I'd MAYBE let you do it. But she also gets a home help! I see her come here! 2pm every day! In a big-ass car!" Although I may have moved the hyphen to "ass-car" at the time.

But today? MY GOD she could move faster than me. Fucking Linford Christie had NOTHING on her. Every time I walk down the path, all I see is her face staring back at me with o.o. No shame! Not even trying to disguise it! Face at the window staring right at me! One time I caught her dead in the eye and she was so terrified by my expression that she nearly fucking flew in the air! Her tea certainly did! So during her fucking basilisk-gaze today, she notices not one of my small game boxes, but a HUGE box! "OH THAT'S OK! I'LL TAKE THAT PARCEL IN FOR THEM!" Bet you fucking will. I got it back a few hours. Opened. It was wallpaper! It wasn't a fucking travelling bar!

Now imagine if that was food! She'd have had her rummage through, I'd find some bread and milk missing and replaced with half her fucking ash tray from her HANDS ALONE!

"Oh I needed bread and milk and didn't feel like going to the shops!"
"Yeah but you sure as fuck felt like clinging on to the back of the van Terminator 2 style as it drove off!"

I do not trust people. Every time I buy bread, I'm going to be the one to feel it. I'm going to be the one to carry it home. And I'm DAMN sure going to be the one to eat it!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 09 Mar 2012, 01:42

Huh?

I mean... what?
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Mar 2012, 03:42

Don't cross the threads! Crossing the threads would be bad! :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath

Postby empath » 09 Mar 2012, 04:09

Okay, for a tiny tangent back to the OP's OP, I'd like to say that NOW, I am 1/3 as awesome as Paul. :)

But getting back to the current issue, Darkobra voiced a lot of the (possibly unfounded) concerns I have with food purchase online.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Mar 2012, 04:12

empath wrote:Okay, for a tiny tangent back to the OP's OP, I'd like to say that NOW, I am 1/3 as awesome as Paul. :)

Alternatively you are 1/3 more unsecure than those of us who do not have the item I guess you just acquired :P

empath

Postby empath » 09 Mar 2012, 08:40

Not really, I have yet to even hook it up to 'teh intarweebs' (it doesn't like the signal strength from either my or my landlord's router, even though my DS is fine with either :) ), and I'm certainly never giving anything beyond NAME: Jaded Empath ADDRESS: 123 Place St., Anytown etc. etc. to PSN...
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Mar 2012, 08:41

The FBI are at the door. They're looking for a Mr AAAAA AAAAA of 1 ASDF street...

empath

Postby empath » 09 Mar 2012, 11:10

It's even funnier that neither of us are in Amerika ;)

I will say it's rather nice to FINALLY see what Fallout: New Vegas is like. :D
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 09 Mar 2012, 20:19

Buggy and frustrating. i want to play the game that should have been. There a a tonne of great elements but overall I was disappointed cause nothing worked even after all the bug fix patches.
BlitzRunner27
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby BlitzRunner27 » 09 Mar 2012, 23:16

I'm going to throw out the single most generic catch-all recommendation I can: If you want to play western games, buy an XBox 360. If you want to play eastern games, buy a PlayStation 3. Western games (specifically RPGs) wind up playing better on the 360 with little exception, wheras the PS3 is both more import friendly and tends to attract more eastern games (in particular JRPGs).

And yes, I know there are counter-examples, but -as a whole- what I've said above is accurate.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 10 Mar 2012, 16:12

Season's Beatings wrote:Buggy and frustrating. i want to play the game that should have been. There a a tonne of great elements but overall I was disappointed cause nothing worked even after all the bug fix patches.

Really? I started playing the PC version about 4 months after release and clocked in about 100 hours across FO:NV, Dead Money and Old World Blues, and I never really encountered any game-breaking or even particularly frustrating bugs. I generally consider it to be superior to FO3 in almost every way (with exception to the beginning, which has quite a slow buildup)
and now; back to me.
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 11 Mar 2012, 02:13

I'm one of those dirty console heathens. Its funny, all my friends say that their PC versions run fine whereas my 360 versions of bethesda titles such as Skyrim break a tonne. I choose to believe I'm gaming the NPCs so hard that they break under the strain.

Also yeah, the beginning to New Vegas is terrible. It didn't have the gravitas of the vault upbringing.
empath

Postby empath » 11 Mar 2012, 11:18

I'll agree on the FNV opener; not so much bad as inferior compared to its predecessors. *shrug*

As for the crashing, I've been playing almost a week, and it's only hung up twice...so far.

Mind you, this is Fallout:New Vegas - Ultimate Edition with all the DLC (and presumably the patches). *crosses fingers*

Nonetheless, the...paradigm of a PC game is more flexible to patching and updating; even with the avenue existing for providing such after-sale support to console purchasers, the 'mentality' still isn't there to be so diligent for a 360/PS3 version of a title. There ain't no "Unofficial <BethSoft Title> Patch" sitting over on <BethSoft Title>Nexus for the console versions. :(

That - and getting accustomed to a rather different set of controls - are my only misgivings about dipping a toe into the Console Gaming Ocean. ;)

Heck, the Law of Unintended Consequences gave me a boost here: since my console is still an isolated island (I'm too lazy to stretch a CAT5 cable across the room, and WiFi signal strength is pretty spotty), it turns out that the 'system update' on the FNV disk was a handy thing, since it allowed me to get a 'firmware update' for my virgin PS3 while still remaining a lazy ass! :D

Return to “Video Games”