*sigh* Time to open Pandora's Box...

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

*sigh* Time to open Pandora's Box...

Postby empath » 04 Mar 2012, 07:36

Okay, I know this is probably going to be a monumentally bad idea, and probably result in "tears before bedtime" for someone (or even everyone) fairly quickly, but...

With getting my tax refund, and also with the continuing issues I have with my favourite means of securing PC games is inexplicably unreliable (see my post on that page), I've knuckled under, betrayed my PC Gaming roots and am seriously considering purchasing a current-gen game console.

Yeah, that's right; the Luddite finally gave in to all you Borg. ;)

So,...as much as I fear uttering these words¹...

Xbox or PS3?

Footnote: 1. More for the instinctual fear that the statement will spark off a flame war, than any personal misgivings.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: *sigh* Time to open Pandora's Box...

Postby Vigafre » 04 Mar 2012, 07:53

If you're playing for online multiplayer, Xbox, but if you don't want to pay to play online, PS3.

Besides that, doesn't really matter. I'm assuming you don't care too much about the exclusive content.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 04 Mar 2012, 08:04

The issue with 360 for online gaming is you incur a secondary cost for it, which while not enormous, does deserve to be taken into consideration.

Also, realize we're very likely coming to the end of a console lifecycle, and buying anything now might be a large waste in terms of new games.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 04 Mar 2012, 08:58

If you don't have a Blu-Ray player as well, definitely PS3.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 04 Mar 2012, 08:59

Be your own man! Get an Atari 2600!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 04 Mar 2012, 09:14

Well the XBox definitely has better online stability. (Not so much security. They're just as open to being hacked as Sony as has been proven in the past. Sony is just more open about their mistakes while Microsoft send the men in the suits to sweep it under the rug.) But the PS3 has free online (which is still completely useable. Just that 1 in 10 Street Fighter matches, I get landed from someone from Spain or Canada so the latency can sometimes go ape-shit), loads of PS1 games on the market and a few exclusives like Uncharted which really set it above and beyond. Uncharted alone makes a PS3 worth getting.

As for PSN Plus? Ignore it. You're paying annually to get discounted games. You'll save a hell of a lot more money just buying the damn games you like!

I like the smaller controls of the PS3. The XBox is incredibly clunky for me and has a TERRIBLE digital pad. To those that say "Just use analogue", they've clearly never tried to chain Ryu's spin kick shoryuken hadoken ultimate with cancels on an analogue.

There's also the case of graphics. PS3 has the POTENTIAL for better graphics but isn't often used. Some games like Final Fantasy really do go out of their way with it. Most games, the XBox and PS3 look exactly the same. Also multi-disc games are only on one disc for PS3 thanks to the Blu-Ray format.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 04 Mar 2012, 09:49

I'd say PS3 if you want a blu-ray as well.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 04 Mar 2012, 10:49

Research exclusive games for each console, see which system has the most you're interested in. Carefully research the full cost of the system as well... for example, a PS3 controller has a built-in rechargeable battery, the Xbox does not.

By my figuring, the PS3 has a lower cost of ownership than an Xbox, but the Xbox has a bigger user base- which matters if you do online gaming. There is no one right answer, just what's best for you. (You could go super-nuts and buy both, for example. ;))
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 04 Mar 2012, 11:09

The consoles are sufficiently close now that you are best just picking by exclusives, I tend to gravitate in the 360 direction (plus my PS3 bluray drive died and I replaced it, never had many games) mainly due to the library more than anything else.

PS3 graphics are prettier in exclusives but if you're coming from a PC gaming background the graphics on either will fail to wow you.
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 04 Mar 2012, 12:45

to me they are pretty much the same, look at the exclusives on each platform and make your mind up based on them
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 04 Mar 2012, 12:53

Not that it really makes much difference but the 360 is seven years old and has seen off competition from the Playstation 2 and Nintendo Gamecube and still has companies making software for it. That must be some sort of record.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Jostain
First Video: ways to hide a body

Postby Jostain » 04 Mar 2012, 13:25

The playstation has a nicer design if that matters. I didnt think it would matter to me but when I got both of them I realized that the xbox 360 design is awful. And the cd deck makes this clunky sound when it opens.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 04 Mar 2012, 20:11

Geoff_B wrote:Be your own man! Get an Atari 2600!

*outrageous French accent* "Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he will be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see."
;)

I am leaning slightly toward the PS3; the later build resulting in slightly better capabilities (even if they don't get fully utilized as has been pointed out), and the online multiplayer doesn't appeal that much (I'm getting older and slower - haven't touched TF2 since before the whole hat business broke out).

As for 'being disappointed' with either platform after being an ardent PC gamer, I'll also remind you I'm a LONG-time PC game, right back to the pre-100% compatible days; I still have an ASCII roguelike sitting in my DOSbox front-end, alongside PLENTY of EGA 320x200x16color games. Image

Heck, I should dust off that old 2600 and play Adventure again...if I can figure out how to get the 300 ohm twin-lead coming out of the 2600's converter box to interface properly with the HDMI or component video connectors... ;^)

Actually, Uncharted and its progeny is another pebble on the Sony side of the scales. What I've watched through trailers and demos and samples of play has been quite appealing.

But all in all, it's something I still must think about a little longer; the impressive amount of sensible and credible suggestions, information, and opinions has been VERY helpful in giving me a better foundation on which to make that decision.

Once again, LRRdom soars and exceeds any reasonable expectation for quality of discourse! :D

THANK YOU!
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 05 Mar 2012, 20:53

Come hang with the cool kids, Empath... buy a 360!

I personally like the 360 interface much better. PS3 made me rageface. I think that's just becuase I was used to the 360, though.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Mar 2012, 21:02

I like the 360 controllers better, but I have ginormous hands.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 05 Mar 2012, 21:40

I like the 360 controllers better because they're heavier.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 05 Mar 2012, 21:47

What's funny is I know a lot of ps3 owners... but they never seem to use them. They end up only using it for the blue ray and gaming on the xbox.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 05 Mar 2012, 22:45

Buying a console MAKES you a luddite, it doesn't discredit you as one.
Season's Beatings

Postby Season's Beatings » 05 Mar 2012, 22:50

Not to sound like a fanboy but the 360 never lost millions of people's credit card details and doesn't require an hour of updates every time you sit down.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Mar 2012, 22:53

I must have a different Xbox than you...
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 05 Mar 2012, 22:57

Wait, what? (directed at met)
Season's Beatings

Postby Season's Beatings » 05 Mar 2012, 23:12

Vigafre wrote:Wait, what? (directed at met)

Ditto brah.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 06 Mar 2012, 01:12

Season's Beatings wrote:Not to sound like a fanboy but the 360 never lost millions of people's credit card details and doesn't require an hour of updates every time you sit down.

Even people on these forums fell victim to someone hacking their account details and buying FIFA DLC on the XBox. There's no such thing as unhackable. Microsoft just don't go public about it.

Also, PS3 doesn't require an hour of updates every time you sit down. In fact, the updates are normally patches for first time starting a game which aren't that big or the once every few months patches for compatibility, new features or security.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 06 Mar 2012, 06:30

Doesn't the PS3 require an install for every new game to the system? I'm sure empath is used to that, but still.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 06 Mar 2012, 07:03

Not all of them. Most require an update which is a patch of an average of 40 MB. Stability fixes, ability to go online at all with the games, that sort of thing. Some give you the OPTION of installing the game data to the hard drive which pretty much makes it a lot faster when playing. (Although you still need the disc.) And rarely, some games require a full data install and patch to play it at all. (Devil May Cry 4.)
Like a vampire.
But with knives.

Return to “Video Games”