Game just f**ked up again

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
RobertMc123

Game just f**ked up again

Postby RobertMc123 » 06 Mar 2012, 13:48

So as I said in my post about ME3 I was a loyal Game customer, not anymore. The reason : The Witcher 2 Dark Edition is a Game exclusive in the UK, but the even better part it is a Game Online exclusive! Not very clear on any website regarding this, I NEVER order stuff from Game online because there is a store near my house. So I held off ordering online and went into the shop on my next day off to be told it was online only and I was too late. Well thanks a f**king bunch Game for making NONE of that clear at all. I could forgive Mass Effect 3, I can forgive the weird ass pricing plans on new games (Day 1 42.99, day 4 price drops to 39.99) I could forgive all that, I could even forgive the bitchy assistant manager acting like I ruined her day just because I asked where my reward points where, but this Witcher 2 stuff is just too much.
F**k Game, stick your 5 pounds of reward points up your ass.
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Game just f**ked up again

Postby Season's Beatings » 06 Mar 2012, 13:54

I wonder when companies will learn exclusivity deals just shoot themselves in the foot. Think about it. They have all their eggs in one basket and if that basket decides not to stock those eggs or can't pay the costs for those eggs then the distribution chain fails. Even if it works, you're cutting off a large proportion of egg lovers from their brand of eggs simply because of geography and the basket's stake in the market.

Also, I'm no good with metaphors.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 06 Mar 2012, 13:57

Wow. Game really has gone downhill. If Game goes bust here, my only option is online. Because Gamestation REALLY fucking suck and HMV overprices by a LONG way! Which is a shame. I like to browse the games and go "Wow! I didn't know that game existed! AND it's cheap!" It's something you just can't get online.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 06 Mar 2012, 14:01

Game and Gamestation are the same company so if Game goes bust you won't see Gamestation anymore. I love browsing game shops too but I refuse to spend my money in Game now. They have really gone downhill, I won't be surprised if they do close down in the next 3 months or so.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 06 Mar 2012, 14:08

I'm very surprised they're the same company. Gamestation has the most incompetent staff I have ever dealt with in my life on several occasions over many years and actually sell faulty products, scratched discs and on some occasions, discs cracked right down the middle. Still! At least THEY'LL be gone now!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 06 Mar 2012, 15:00

RobertMc123 wrote:I could forgive Mass Effect 3, I can forgive the weird ass pricing plans on new games (Day 1 42.99, day 4 price drops to 39.99)

That's just good business, studies have shown that price increases of up to £5 have no effect on the day 1 purchase numbers but give significant increase in profits, the only reason they don't increase more is that any more of a drop and people rage at them.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Mar 2012, 16:22

My local GAME store evolving into Greggs seems to be a better gift everyday :(
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 06 Mar 2012, 18:35

Darkobra wrote:I'm very surprised they're the same company. Gamestation has the most incompetent staff I have ever dealt with in my life on several occasions over many years and actually sell faulty products, scratched discs and on some occasions, discs cracked right down the middle. Still! At least THEY'LL be gone now!

Because clearly the CEO and board of directors of GAME/Gamestation actively go out of their way to hire only the most incompetent of workers at even the lowest levels, sitting in on the interviews and rejecting any who show any level of competency. However, they make it a point to only do this at all Gamestations, and do a similar process but instead looking actively for competency, for GAME, so that when presented with the two options, you will always shop at GAME.

Remember, they do this for all of their stores, across the UK.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 06 Mar 2012, 20:43

And that's how Rome was destroyed in a day.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 06 Mar 2012, 23:18

So GAME gets destroyed whilst Cafe Nero fiddles?
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 07 Mar 2012, 00:35

Maybe the Mass Effect 3 release date will be the new Ides of March? (And yes I totally realise Ides actually means the 15th day but work with me on this)
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Bacon
First Video: Unskippable lost planet

Postby Bacon » 07 Mar 2012, 02:54

theDreamer wrote:
Darkobra wrote:I'm very surprised they're the same company. Gamestation has the most incompetent staff I have ever dealt with in my life on several occasions over many years and actually sell faulty products, scratched discs and on some occasions, discs cracked right down the middle. Still! At least THEY'LL be gone now!

Because clearly the CEO and board of directors of GAME/Gamestation actively go out of their way to hire only the most incompetent of workers at even the lowest levels, sitting in on the interviews and rejecting any who show any level of competency. However, they make it a point to only do this at all Gamestations, and do a similar process but instead looking actively for competency, for GAME, so that when presented with the two options, you will always shop at GAME.

Gamestation staff are like the renegade cops of the game retail industry. They probably worked at Game until they drove a bus into a GTA display to stop a Grandmother buying a copy for her 8 year old grandson. One ass chewing from the chief later and they were on Gamestation duty.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 07 Mar 2012, 03:51

My conspiracy theory on this, is that GameStop (who already publicly own 25% of GAME, and who knows how much by proxy) are fostering the right conditions for Game to go into receivership. Then they can swoop in as saviours buying the rest of the company up at less than cost.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 07 Mar 2012, 04:04

My question is ultimately will it change anything apart from the shop name?

JayBlanc

Postby JayBlanc » 07 Mar 2012, 04:33

GameStop will probably keep the name of either GAME or Gamestation, perhaps both, but will likely go for a round of 'Consolidation' where there's two close together. My local ones for instance, which are within shouting distance of each other in the same shopping centre.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 07 Mar 2012, 04:48

The reason I ask is way back in the day when we had Electronics Boutique on the high street, then GAME opened up. Next thing GAME bought out Electronics Boutique and all the stores where called GAME

JayBlanc

Postby JayBlanc » 07 Mar 2012, 05:01

That was because they had to pay the US Electronics Boutique a royalty on the use of their trademark, so wanted to change the name on the shops.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Mar 2012, 07:46

RobertMc123 wrote:So as I said in my post about ME3 I was a loyal Game customer, not anymore. The reason : The Witcher 2 Dark Edition is a Game exclusive in the UK, but the even better part it is a Game Online exclusive! Not very clear on any website regarding this, I NEVER order stuff from Game online because there is a store near my house. So I held off ordering online and went into the shop on my next day off to be told it was online only and I was too late. Well thanks a f**king bunch Game for making NONE of that clear at all. I could forgive Mass Effect 3, I can forgive the weird ass pricing plans on new games (Day 1 42.99, day 4 price drops to 39.99) I could forgive all that, I could even forgive the bitchy assistant manager acting like I ruined her day just because I asked where my reward points where, but this Witcher 2 stuff is just too much.
F**k Game, stick your 5 pounds of reward points up your ass.

Yes you might be angry but how long did you hold off from pre-ordering Witcher 2? That may have been a major factor in your inability on obtaining one.
If the website didn't make it clear that's their fault but the general rule with Exclusive special editions is there aren't going to be many of them so you have to quick.

theDreamer wrote:Because clearly the CEO and board of directors of GAME/Gamestation actively go out of their way to hire only the most incompetent of workers at even the lowest levels, sitting in on the interviews and rejecting any who show any level of competency. However, they make it a point to only do this at all Gamestations, and do a similar process but instead looking actively for competency, for GAME, so that when presented with the two options, you will always shop at GAME.

I'd like to call you up on that silly notion. MANAGERS and DEPUTY MANAGERS decide who gets hired, there is no special edict from the Board of directors to say who gets hired. I'm a lowly Sales Assistant and I helped with a recent batch hiring at my store, and for the ones who were not up to grade we didn't say: Gamestation material and passed their details over.
If your 'logic' was true some of the most competent people I have known (especially going through university in Video Games courses) would not have been hired or worked at Gamestation. One of our Senior Sales actually was promoted from Senior Sales to Deputy Manager of my local Gamestation and they're all competent.
You all know how stupid I can be on this forum, why haven't I been shipped to Gamestation?

Also, Nero never fiddled. The fiddle wasn't invented in his time period (there was the lyre). He helped in the relief effort using his own money.
Last edited by Elomin Sha on 07 Mar 2012, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 07 Mar 2012, 08:18

I may be wrong but I get the feeling Dreamer wasn't being entirely serious.

On the other hand I did once find a case for Call of Duty (I think) for DS but the description on the back was for some Madagascar racing game. I should have bought it for the lols :D

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Mar 2012, 08:20

I've had that happen. I had a GBA game which was a military shooter but had a racing game description on the back.
If Dreamer was being sarcastic, well done on that chap.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 07 Mar 2012, 18:46

Reductio ad absurdum.

The point was that saying "I can't believe they are owned by the same company because in my local stores the gamestation is crap but game is decent" is silly.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 07 Mar 2012, 19:04

It's all about the business plan. And yes, the CEOs DO send representatives around to check on both and review them, their stock, their staff and their income. This happens once every 6 months. At least that's the case with my friend's store that he runs.

Although to assume the same of higher-ups that try to lock horns with EA is a little insane.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 08 Mar 2012, 00:39

It's a business. And businesses exist to make money any way they can.

Return to “Video Games”