Diablo III: Return to Sanctuary

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Diablo III: Return to Sanctuary

Postby Master Gunner » 14 May 2012, 17:34

So, Diablo III launches tomorrow/today. Who will be taking up the fight against the Prime Evils?

Also, general Diablo III discussion.

BattleTag: MasterGunner#1399
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Diablo III: Return to Sanctuary

Postby tanatoes » 14 May 2012, 17:43

So does this mean that CH Adam will be done with his wait outside the mall?
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 14 May 2012, 17:46

My experience with the beta told me that I shall not be buying this game, unfortunetly the always online and huge lag spikes drove me insane. I pre-ordered Torchlight 2 instead.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 14 May 2012, 18:09

tanatoes wrote:So does this mean that CH Adam will be done with his wait outside the mall?

Yes. We might see him again in two to four years.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 14 May 2012, 18:42

nicholasmc1 wrote:My experience with the beta told me that I shall not be buying this game, unfortunetly the always online and huge lag spikes drove me insane. I pre-ordered Torchlight 2 instead.

I didn't go that far, but I'll admit, I don't anticipate getting much time in tomorrow. I think their servers will be molten slag most of the day and there isn't much they can do about it other than weather the storm until the weekend when there will be more server puddles forming. Give it a week or so and the servers will probably stabilize.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 14 May 2012, 20:21

tanatoes wrote:So does this mean that CH Adam will be done with his wait outside the mall?

But he was done waiting once he got into the Alpha, remember?
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 14 May 2012, 20:34

ecocd wrote:
nicholasmc1 wrote:My experience with the beta told me that I shall not be buying this game, unfortunetly the always online and huge lag spikes drove me insane. I pre-ordered Torchlight 2 instead.

I didn't go that far, but I'll admit, I don't anticipate getting much time in tomorrow. I think their servers will be molten slag most of the day and there isn't much they can do about it other than weather the storm until the weekend when there will be more server puddles forming. Give it a week or so and the servers will probably stabilize.

Oh yeah, I really can't afford it at the moment anyways. From what I hear the SEA servers are kinda eh.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 May 2012, 23:43

Well, I got as far as the character creation screen.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 May 2012, 03:31

I haven't logged in yet. GW2 on the stress test event was ironically MORE stable.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 May 2012, 07:37

I'd heard something to the effect of trial passkeys? I missed the open beta, but would like to at least give it a try and see if I like it. But I can't find anything on battle.net about trial accounts...

~Alja~
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 15 May 2012, 07:54

According to twitter, it looks like some of the LRR guys eventually got on.

It seems kind of pointless to ask if anyone else is on, because if you got on, you're not posting here until your graphics card overheats and you have to reboot. :-P
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 May 2012, 08:46

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I haven't logged in yet. GW2 on the stress test event was ironically MORE stable.

D3 wasn't unstable at all. It was very reliably not letting people in.

Working as intended, actually.

-m

I am not angry at you.
BlitzRunner27
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby BlitzRunner27 » 15 May 2012, 09:38

Alja-Markir wrote:I'd heard something to the effect of trial passkeys? I missed the open beta, but would like to at least give it a try and see if I like it. But I can't find anything on battle.net about trial accounts...

~Alja~

Retail copies of Diablo III came with three guest-passes that allow someone to access all of the content that was in the beta. I have all of mine still, would you like one?
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 15 May 2012, 09:40

Alja-Markir wrote:I'd heard something to the effect of trial passkeys? I missed the open beta, but would like to at least give it a try and see if I like it. But I can't find anything on battle.net about trial accounts...

~Alja~

I can send you a geust pass key since the game came with 3. I'll send it in a pm

Oh, and my battletag is DrDiggit#1907
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 May 2012, 15:45

I keep crashing just after the Witch's basement (act1), my battle.net friends list is wiped clean and my friends don't want to play with me.
Feels like an utter waste of £45 to me personally.
I regret buying the game under my own personal circumstances. I can feel awful for free.
Drdiggit42

Postby Drdiggit42 » 15 May 2012, 17:33

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I keep crashing just after the Witch's basement (act1), my battle.net friends list is wiped clean and my friends don't want to play with me.
Feels like an utter waste of £45 to me personally.
I regret buying the game under my own personal circumstances. I can feel awful for free.

I wouldn't get too upset, it's a good game and after this bit of frustration it should get better.

How are things in Europe with regards to playing? After an hour of server maintenance and a patch this are working fine over here (at least for me).

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 May 2012, 21:06

Oh hey, wow! Thanks Doc! I owe you an orbital bombardment or two now. Or maybe a curry? I make a decent red curry with chicken. Or whatever else of similar, reasonable value I suppose.

..although I do particlarly like dropping trebuchets from orbit. And curry.

~Alja~
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 16 May 2012, 11:36

I'm playing the Starter Edition, and really enjoying it. Hoping to buy the game, but I have to convince Larissa it won't ruin my life. :)
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 May 2012, 11:50

It's never too early for Baby and Father to bond over a video game.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 May 2012, 12:10

I know I bonded with my father over the original Diablo.

Of course, he had actually started me with Duke Nukem 3D...
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 16 May 2012, 13:14

I'm playing the Starter Edition, and really... not... enjoying it.

I dunno. I'm honestly baffled. It couldn't keep my interest. It felt... somehow bland. It also doesn't help that I don't like the new level and skill systems, or the new shops and inventory systems, or the feel of the combat, or the voice acting, or the characters, or the map layouts...

It's... it's like something masquerading as Diablo. It's familiar enough to remind me of the things I loved about the first two games, but different enough that it loses something hard to describe, or even properly conceptualize. It's got plenty of the modern Blizzard flair and aesthetic, but not much of the old-school feel and atmosphere.

I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the lengthy, linear hand-holding first section of the game? Maybe it gets better afterwards? I dunno. In Diablo I and II, you got token expository and narrative, and then BAM! you're in a sprawling cathedral dungeon fighting hordes of monsters or you're out in the fields plowing through minor demons and zombies. But with this... it just seemed to drag and fall flat - which is odd. You quickly go from the start to the town to the wilds to the cathedral all in a relatively speedy progression, but it feels utterly unmemorable and indistinguishiable. How is it that the clunky, crudely generated, obvious pattern "randomized", squared-off, empty fields of Diablo II established a sense of place and atmosphere better than these new, graphically advanced, cleverly generated maps do?

I was so looking forward to this game. I've wanted fresh Diablo for years. But unlike, say, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, this seems to have failed on the task of "feeling" like the original. It's got all the modern features and upgrades we unconsciously expect from new games these days, but to me it doesn't have the soul of Diablo.

So bummed.

Oh, and it doesn't have an uninstall feature? What? Seriously guys? Oversight or arrogance, either way that's the kind of design failure I'd expect from amateurs. What happened, Blizzard? You used to be cool.

~Alja~
Drdiggit42

Postby Drdiggit42 » 16 May 2012, 13:34

Sad to see you don't like it Alja, but you can always uninstall through the control panel (assuming your using a pc here).

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 May 2012, 17:21

I agree that the beginning is a bit...underwhelming, especially considering how the first two immediately dumped you into a wide open space. Act II, at least, is more in line with the original feel of Diablo, and the latter parts of Act I certainly start to get there.

Part of the issue, I think, is how they had to fit the opening areas around what we knew Tristram's geography was, limiting their ability to put in the typical large battlefields. Though an easy fix would be to simply move New Tristram further away from the old town, letting them put in an open woods area in between the two (like you find on the other side of New Tristram, when you go grave-robbing), instead of that narrow corridor.

Chalk it up to wanting to hand-hold people who've never played Diablo, I guess.

Also, I only had one connection issue yesterday (outside of them taking down the servers), which was fortunately right after I hit a checkpoint. Thus far, I haven't had any issues today.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 16 May 2012, 17:48

I would quote Alja, but it's pretty long. I'm still in Act 1 and I'm a bit underwhelmed, too. By eliminating the tedium of identifying items, picking up gold pieces and not downing potions at an instant's notice, it seems like the game is almost playing itself. All I have to do is click my barbarian in the direction of the enemies and then walk close to whatever gold they drop.

As a starter in Diablo 2, I knew bolts and arrows would fetch a good price, because they didn't take up much space and still built up my bank account. I was excited to see a wand drop in Act 1, because there was a chance it would fetch 5,000 gold (the max on Act 1) without even being magical. Now there's nojust nothing

I played a wizard in the beta and the experience was very different than my barbarian. The wizard was on the cusp of death from just normal packs of monsters. With my barbarian, I just finished off the skeleton king (some of us have to work during the day...) and he's the only thing that came remotely close to killing me. So the wizard was more exciting, but really slow. The barbarian is much faster, but pretty boring. I imagine the other classes will play pretty differently, too.

If you're really bored, it might be worth taking an hour to try a different class from the beginning before you spend another 15 hours with your first hero. You might find the experience more to your liking.

I'm going to keep giving it a go and try the other classes for the next few months. Tomorrow night, however, I'm getting together with a few friends to fire up our first game of Artemis.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 May 2012, 18:14

I'm playing a Monk, which is pretty fast, but I still have to keep an eye on my health, though not as often as I would have to in I or II. I probably would have balanced the game differently, and thus far the blacksmith has proved completely useless, so overall it's lacking some of the "polish" I expected. Perhaps a bit too much of the WoW philosophy of "We'll fix it in post"?

I hope Nightmare difficulty will hold more of a challenge when I get to it. Right now the most I get is a sharp jump in difficulty when I enter new areas or certain dungeons, which very quickly levels off.

Return to “Video Games”