Pocket Planes?! POCKET PLANES!!! UNOFFICIAL SKY CHAIRS HQ

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT

KATHLEEN
67%
GODDAMNIT
19%
BRUSSELS
15%

Total votes: 48
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Re: Pocket Planes?! POCKET PLANES!!!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Jul 2012, 15:42

evn wrote:San Diego is a bit of a longer campaign, so I'm going to divert most of my planes. I'm with Alex on his observation, I closed about four airports and opened up two on the West Coast of the US and the value of the events can be questionable. I was getting irritated with Magadan, there is nothing close to it :(

Yeah, some of the events clearly aren't worth it if you're not already in the area, especially the ones that are way out of the way.

This one, however, is VERY convenient. Los Angeles is a great airport to have late in the game, and San Diego is SO CLOSE. I've set up two small jumpers that just make constant trips back and forth (convenient because it only takes 3 minutes) and a network of planes that shuttle jobs in from surrounding airports.

And then of course I've still got all my level 3 planes delivering cargo throughout Africa, Europe, and Asia.

The reward for this event is AMAZING, too. Starships are CRAZY fast and fly CRAZY far. WANT. We gotta get top 10 on this one! EVERYONE PULL TOGETHER!
sasparilla
First Video: The Job

Postby sasparilla » 11 Jul 2012, 16:34

AlexanderDitto wrote:
evn wrote:San Diego is a bit of a longer campaign, so I'm going to divert most of my planes. I'm with Alex on his observation, I closed about four airports and opened up two on the West Coast of the US and the value of the events can be questionable. I was getting irritated with Magadan, there is nothing close to it :(

Yeah, some of the events clearly aren't worth it if you're not already in the area, especially the ones that are way out of the way.

Yeah I found that out the hard way - I started in North America, so getting to Magadan involved opening Tehran, Chengdu, Tokyo and Sapporo to get across Europe/Asia. I think I may have done slightly better than broke even (my coins totals seemed to be going up, anyways) but I really should have just skipped that last event.

BUT!! I am ready for this - LET US ROCK SAN DIEGO!! WHERE MAH CHAIRS AT?! HOLLLAAAAAAAAA
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 11 Jul 2012, 16:51

I'm currently in... Port Moresby. I think I'm not going to be able to help.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 11 Jul 2012, 17:15

Well, since I don't have any iOS devices of my own, I wasn't able to play much before. Because of this comic-con event, though, I borrowed my mom's ipad to play. I can see how it can get addicting, but I'm ready to risk it for the sake of the Sky Chairs getting spaceships.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Jul 2012, 19:54

Honestly, guys, I don't think we're going to make it. To break into the top 10, we'd have to more than double our current number. I've been playing for nearly six hours straight. Don't think I can keep that up.

I have a feeling it's just a numbers game. We need twice as many people in our group.
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 11 Jul 2012, 20:29

Yeah, maybe... The good news is, some of the event jobs can get you starship parts, plus the top 100 get one at the end, so maybe we'll manage to get enough to build our own. Maybe we can have a little exchange when the event's over if people have doubles of one, but missing one of the others.
Godzpunchingbag
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Godzpunchingbag » 12 Jul 2012, 01:22

So I just found out LRR had a flight crew and I've already made 550+ into San Diego. Can i change my flight crew and still keep my progress I've made. At the time of this posting I'm ranked 43 in the world.
Godzpunchingbag

Postby Godzpunchingbag » 12 Jul 2012, 01:24

Under_Score wrote:Yeah, maybe... The good news is, some of the event jobs can get you starship parts, plus the top 100 get one at the end, so maybe we'll manage to get enough to build our own. Maybe we can have a little exchange when the event's over if people have doubles of one, but missing one of the others.

I like that exchange idea considering I've gotten three starship engines and one body already from those secret part packages which i received all out of LA.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2012, 03:44

AlexanderDitto wrote:Honestly, guys, I don't think we're going to make it. To break into the top 10, we'd have to more than double our current number. I've been playing for nearly six hours straight. Don't think I can keep that up.

I have a feeling it's just a numbers game. We need twice as many people in our group.

That's what william hull said good sir!

"President Madison I dont think we are going to make it, the French Canadians are too strongly allied with the natives sir. Apparently they treat their natives with a slight level of respect, We cant cope with that!"

Think like General Jackson man! Hire the Spaniards the blacks and the pirates! Hire the natives if need be but deliver those strangely dressed people to comic con!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
sasparilla

Postby sasparilla » 12 Jul 2012, 18:31

OHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIII--!

GUYS. YOU GUYS.

I HAVE THE STARSHIP.

Seriously, it just happened! I got it through the mystery parts, looks like I lucked out and went 3 for 3.

Of course, I don't have an extra plane slot to build it right now... #firstworldpocketplanesproblems
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jul 2012, 18:41

Hooray! I've got it too, actually. I've been delivering a lot of mystery parts.

By the way, if anyone wants to exchange/donate parts to each other, you can use this thread to do so!
sasparilla

Postby sasparilla » 12 Jul 2012, 18:54

Yeah the Sea Knight never came together for me from the last event - I just have the controls and engine. Does anyone have the full thing? Is it any good? If not I may just trade away the parts I have.
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 12 Jul 2012, 19:22

So... Are events other than the Comic Convention the same for everyone? Like... does everyone else have Pumkinfest going on in Arizona?
Godzpunchingbag

Postby Godzpunchingbag » 12 Jul 2012, 20:10

Yeah events are for everyone, i also have pumkinfest in phoenix.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2012, 22:03

I have LA, San Fran, Phoenix and San Diego, im running 6 planes and I cant keep up with the none san Diego stuff.

I killed my battery tonight I have pulled over 150 deliveries this afternoon, and im only level 15.

I almost killed Europe/North Africa to move all in, but im sure the next event will be paris or something.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 13 Jul 2012, 05:30

sasparilla wrote:Yeah the Sea Knight never came together for me from the last event - I just have the controls and engine. Does anyone have the full thing? Is it any good? If not I may just trade away the parts I have.

I have a Sea Knight body if you want it, but the plane isn't really that special.

Unrelated, can somebody explain these mystery parts? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I don't think that's something I've ever seen in the game. Where should I be looking?
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 13 Jul 2012, 07:36

Yaxley wrote:
sasparilla wrote:Yeah the Sea Knight never came together for me from the last event - I just have the controls and engine. Does anyone have the full thing? Is it any good? If not I may just trade away the parts I have.

I have a Sea Knight body if you want it, but the plane isn't really that special.

Unrelated, can somebody explain these mystery parts? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I don't think that's something I've ever seen in the game. Where should I be looking?

They look like Yellow Mario Question Boxes, but have an "!" on them. They're always to be delivered to the event city, and they're highlighted with yellow text instead of blue. I've seen them appear most often in big cities near the event city (Los Angeles, Chicago, etc) but that may just be due to the quantity of event items that appear there.

When you deliver it to the event city, you get a part from the event plane (in this case a Sky Ship, but previously I got a Sea Knight part when we were doing the one in Cape Town).
Lord Hosk

Re: Pocket Planes?! POCKET PLANES!!! UNOFFICIAL SKY CHAIRS H

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jul 2012, 11:25

I got my first one today it was going from paris to barcelona, it was a spaceship part.

[–]Graham_LRR
sasparilla

Postby sasparilla » 13 Jul 2012, 16:34

Bad news guys - I've used the Starship a few times, and its just not making any money. I lost ~600 coins just going from New York to Chicago with the most optimized load I could make. I tested to see how it would have done going New York to Tokyo and I came up in the red around -5000! D:

Also, it doesn't appear to be designed for profit (or anything, really) according to this thread I found:

https://getsatisfaction.com/nimblebit/topics/spaceship_fully_upgraded_is_yielding_a_negative_profit

Fully upgrading doesn't help either, it seems. So I put it back in the hangar and got out another Aeroeagle instead, now trying to recoup my losses. The Starship had such potential for awesome, especially for a rare craft, I'm so bummed...
Yaxley

Postby Yaxley » 13 Jul 2012, 18:58

From what appears to be a NimbleBit employee in that thread:

Dani Rudolph wrote:Sorry to hear you all are so disappointed. It's a spaceship, its not meant to be affordable to fly, high capacity or to be used all the time.

Well then, why did I go out of MY way to play your game when you went out of YOUR way to make sure it was a deliberate waste of my time? I'm referring to the current world event specifically. I mean, I waste my time on games all constantly, but at least the games are designed so that I can actually progress. I don't want to play a game where the designers went out of their way to make sure that playing the game makes the experience worse.

Can anyone who actually has a Starship confirm or deny it's profitability?

EDIT: Removed some unnecessary vitriol.
Last edited by Yaxley on 14 Jul 2012, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 13 Jul 2012, 20:18

I just wanted the starship cause it looks cool. It has a weight rating of 6, I always assumed it was going to be prohibitively expensive to fly.

-m

It's a showplane. Hot air balloons and dirigibles aren't going to be efficient either.

I am not angry at you.
Yaxley

Postby Yaxley » 14 Jul 2012, 05:55

At least a hot air balloon won't actively hurt you. But yeah, I guess I just have the wrong perspective on it, only now realizing that the plane I really wanted isn't actually any good.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Jul 2012, 09:00

Oh, wow. A weight of 6? I didn't even realize. :/ That doesn't make any sense.

I thought it would be good for cross-globe flights if you could pick up three 8+ BUX passengers and zip them across the globe. But if it costs 5000+ gold to do it... :/

I'd understand the idea of a showplane if there were any way to actually show it off. Like, a little museum in your hanger or something. I mean, I guess you can tweet about it while it's flying? :/ Seems silly.

Doesn't seem like much of a prize, then, but to each their own, I guess. :/
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 14 Jul 2012, 10:17

It would be neat if you could charge extra for a flight on it because it goes into space. Like what happens in real life, where it's an expensive tourist attraction more than a viable form of transportation.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Jul 2012, 11:06

AlexanderDitto wrote:Oh, wow. A weight of 6? I didn't even realize. :/ That doesn't make any sense.

I thought it would be good for cross-globe flights if you could pick up three 8+ BUX passengers and zip them across the globe. But if it costs 5000+ gold to do it... :/

I'd understand the idea of a showplane if there were any way to actually show it off. Like, a little museum in your hanger or something. I mean, I guess you can tweet about it while it's flying? :/ Seems silly.

Doesn't seem like much of a prize, then, but to each their own, I guess. :/

It marks off an entry in your airpedia?

-m

I am not angry at you.

Return to “Video Games”