Pocket Planes?! POCKET PLANES!!! UNOFFICIAL SKY CHAIRS HQ

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT

KATHLEEN
67%
GODDAMNIT
19%
BRUSSELS
15%

Total votes: 48
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Re: Pocket Planes?! POCKET PLANES!!! UNOFFICIAL SKY CHAIRS H

Postby Clypheous » 15 Jul 2012, 09:11

I got the Starship, used it on two flights, realized it was going to bankrupt me in a matter of hours and put it in my hanger until such time as I can find a use for it.

I was more excited about it before I found out how useless it was. Still, maybe I can figure out some use later, until then, it's sitting in my hanger just in case I have to try to take out the Death Star.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 Jul 2012, 09:34

Is anyone else seeing the prizes for the current world event as messed up. First place gets less than top 10 and top 100? Weird.

I'm going to sit this one out and try to get some achievements instead, but it's still weird. Unless they fix it, winning is actually bad.
sasparilla
First Video: The Job

Postby sasparilla » 15 Jul 2012, 10:03

Yaxley wrote:Is anyone else seeing the prizes for the current world event as messed up. First place gets less than top 10 and top 100? Weird.

I'm going to sit this one out and try to get some achievements instead, but it's still weird. Unless they fix it, winning is actually bad.

Oh wow I didn't even notice that until now.

Well now it's a race to 2nd place. You go over, you lose. :)
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 15 Jul 2012, 12:34

Haha Nimblebit is trying some psychological experiments on us. XD

I wonder if they're ever going to scale the prizes up. 30 BUX starts looking pretty paltry when you're regularly carrying 8 BUX passengers....

Also they really need to figure out a way to let the world map wrap around. It makes no sense that I'm routing planes from Jakarta to Los Angeles by way of Paris. :/
Yaxley

Postby Yaxley » 15 Jul 2012, 14:18

AlexanderDitto wrote:Also they really need to figure out a way to let the world map wrap around. It makes no sense that I'm routing planes from Jakarta to Los Angeles by way of Paris. :/

It would make sense, but would kill the achievement for flying non-stop from Nome to Wellington.
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 15 Jul 2012, 15:43

I think making the map wrap around is significantly more of a programming and structural challenge than you might think it is. This is also the only way that New York to Tokyo will be worth as much as it is, so I'm perfectly OK with it this way, otherwise your money on long routes is cut in half.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 16 Jul 2012, 12:24

Clypheous wrote:I think making the map wrap around is significantly more of a programming and structural challenge than you might think it is. This is also the only way that New York to Tokyo will be worth as much as it is, so I'm perfectly OK with it this way, otherwise your money on long routes is cut in half.

That's true, it would cut flight costs in half.

It wouldn't be difficult programmatically, though; they'd just have to double the map on one side. Then you could make any flight in either direction.
DarkMorford
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby DarkMorford » 18 Jul 2012, 22:10

Just downloaded it today, and I am now a SKY CHAIRS member!

Started in SE North America, so far I'm level 5 flying Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Phoenix, Bismarck. Saving up the coins so I can build out to Seattle.
http://www.twitter.com/DarkMorford

Vanilla Minecraft Server (1.11.2): minecraft.darkmorford.net
Modded Minecraft Server (DW20 1.10.2): ftb.lrrcraft.com
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 19 Jul 2012, 04:27

I'm so excited that the current global event is actually taking place at an airport I have access to! I spent the better part of last night bringing all the stuff I could to Goose Bay and it looks like I'm ranked #10 in Sky Chairs right now and our flight crew is #13 overall. I will be trapped in a waiting room later this afternoon, so I should have a couple hours to contribute more to our efforts. Go Sky Chairs!
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 19 Jul 2012, 06:40

what the hell is pocket planes? there are people too poor to afford an apple ios device
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 21 Jul 2012, 19:53

Lemegeton wrote:what the hell is pocket planes? there are people too poor to afford an apple ios device

Let me google that for you! :P

From the creators of Tiny Tower comes Pocket Planes, a casual airline sim that fits right in your pocket!

- Manage and grow your fleet of planes as they fly interesting people and cargo to over 250 cities around the map.
- Unlock everything from tiny prop planes to jumbo jets and small town airports to mega cities.
- Customize your planes with your own paint jobs and pilot uniforms.
- Trade plane parts among your friends, and compete in worldwide group events.
- See how you stack up against your friends with tons of stats and leader boards.

That's basically it. You load your planes with stuff, and fly the stuff to different cities around the world. You make money, unlock more cities, buy more planes, deliver more stuff. As Graham described it, it's a kind of toy... thing.

BTW, there's an update for the app out. Apparently it makes the Regional Headquarters acheivement acheivable. Previously it wasn't, because there were no level three airports in Oceana. :/ Now Jakarta and Manila are included. So as soon as my darn app updates, I should have it. (Confirmed; you just have to buy another airport for it to register that you've got the acheivement.)

I'm at level 23... I'm at the point where it takes nearly two minutes to stock all my planes. At some point it'll just take me the 4 minute refresh time to check all my planes, at which point I could theoretically play continuously. I would also probably go completely insane. BAH.
Cobblepotter

Postby Cobblepotter » 22 Jul 2012, 14:01

So I'm at level 11, and I started in Europe. I've been keeping my business small by buying up all the closest cities and making a circle within all my planes' flying radius, from Paris to Prague, and upgrading the cheaper airports. I'm just wondering if I'm setting myself up to screw myself over later on in the game, and what level I should really start expanding to other regions.
timsymes

Re: Pocket Planes?! POCKET PLANES!!!

Postby timsymes » 22 Jul 2012, 15:32

Majora wrote:Started in Australia, I have no idea what I'm doing but somehow it's still addicting.

I'm running Australia too, I've got Sydney, Hobart, Alice Springs, Rockhampton, Brisbane, Cairns, Broken Hill, Adelaide and Melbourne.
YEAH POCKET PLANES
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Jul 2012, 18:50

Cobblepotter wrote:So I'm at level 11, and I started in Europe. I've been keeping my business small by buying up all the closest cities and making a circle within all my planes' flying radius, from Paris to Prague, and upgrading the cheaper airports. I'm just wondering if I'm setting myself up to screw myself over later on in the game, and what level I should really start expanding to other regions.

Buying airports doesnt really screw you, you can get rid of them. Buying too many small airplanes or wasting your bucks on upgrades can hurt you though.

Be mindful of bucks. a flight for a buck is worth a minimum of 500 coins.

I did the same thing as you, then expanded into Paris London, Algiers, Barcelona Berlin and Madrid after I got a strong second tier of aircraft.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Hugums
First Video: Fun with microwaves

Postby Hugums » 24 Jul 2012, 13:33

When I'm asked to deliver a box of uranium rods and a container of vaccines to the same place i begin to get a bit suspicious. I love this game for just that reason
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Jul 2012, 16:56

Cobblepotter wrote:So I'm at level 11, and I started in Europe. I've been keeping my business small by buying up all the closest cities and making a circle within all my planes' flying radius, from Paris to Prague, and upgrading the cheaper airports. I'm just wondering if I'm setting myself up to screw myself over later on in the game, and what level I should really start expanding to other regions.

In my opinion (Level 24, whatever that means), I would suggest buying more airports instead of upgrading cheaper airports. Upgrading an airport increases the jobs available at that airport, but buying bigger airports (blue, and eventually red) airports gets you this benefit (they naturally have more jobs available), but on TOP of that you have the added benefit of airports that are more spaced out, which means more expensive ticket sales, which means more revenue.

"But Alex," you might say, "won't the increased distance between the cities eat up the profits? After all, the price of tickets is calculated by a linear equation that factors in the distance between the two cities, as the crow flies." Ah, but here's the big trick: the 25% bonus you get for filling an airport with passengers/cargo going to the same place creates a bigger bonus for more expensive tickets, which means longer flights will make you more revenue, regardless of how much is eaten by the cost of the flight itself.

Longer flights also make you more money without requiring your input, which means you can stop checking your iPhone every four minutes, and instead check it every eight minutes. WONDEROUS. Though this only lasts until you start buying enough planes that they're never all full at once....

Also, eventually, you're going to want to upgrade to level 2/level 3 planes as soon as possible. When you do this, you'll need blue/red airports to use them.

Europe is one of the best starting places, I think, because you have immediate access to a huge number of blue cities, as well as a few red ones. I saved up to buy Paris, Madrid, Algiers, and London as soon as I was able to.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Jul 2012, 11:22

predictably, this week its London, everyone should be all over this its going to be HUGE!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Klongeiger

Postby Klongeiger » 27 Jul 2012, 01:30

On a practical level, we may as well give London up right now. We need to make at least 5,000 more jobs to reach the top 10, and that is all of the four teams ahead of us make no progress at all. On the other hand, there is probably no way we'd drop below position 100 now. Also, hi! I've been contributing since the Cape Town event. To my horror, I had to realize that I didn't have a forum account until now. For shame!
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 27 Jul 2012, 05:52

Klongeiger wrote:On a practical level, we may as well give London up right now. We need to make at least 5,000 more jobs to reach the top 10, and that is all of the four teams ahead of us make no progress at all. On the other hand, there is probably no way we'd drop below position 100 now. Also, hi! I've been contributing since the Cape Town event. To my horror, I had to realize that I didn't have a forum account until now. For shame!

Hi! I got your friend request this morning. I'm nowhere near top on the contributors list, though. I haven't been since Cape Town. I've only delivered something like 10 things. XD

This is pretty much the reason I haven't been participating as heavily in the events anymore. We should still put in a little effort, so we don't slide out of the top 100, but other than that, yeah, the top 10 seem to be pretty well locked.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 27 Jul 2012, 05:57

(sigh)

[–]Graham_LRR
Yaxley

Postby Yaxley » 27 Jul 2012, 15:46

Just got the achievement for flying from Nome to Wellington. It was... not even remotely worth the effort.

On the plus side, I finally saw the Mystery Parts. I no longer think it's an elaborate hoax at my expense.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 27 Jul 2012, 19:49

I contacted the designers and had them program in a fake mystery in your game. Its just a deeper troll.

[–]Graham_LRR
JimInEngland
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby JimInEngland » 11 Aug 2012, 04:46

Does anyone have a blimp engine going spare? I've got a body and three sets of controls, so if anyone is looking for controls...
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Sep 2012, 05:22

A few months late I have been drawn into this. Anyone still playing? I started in Australia and I have been playing this way too much.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Sep 2012, 09:16

I still play two or three times a week, I really lost interest when I bought what I thought was the right set of airports for the 10M badge/award. Then I flew a load to and from each one, then I bought ALL the 10M airports and flew to and from each one, and still didnt get it.

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “Video Games”