The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

Postby Kapol » 23 Jul 2012, 18:44

So, I've just finished episode 2 of The Walking Dead. It's pretty great so far. Episode 1 was solid but not great. Episode 2, on the other hand, went above and beyond 1 in nearly every way. Of course, 1 was an intro to everyone while 2 start knowing everyone involved.

It's worth a look if you like The Walking Dead series, if you like Bioware-type dialog, or just want to see people interacting in a zombie Apocalypse which isn't actually focused on the zombies. Try not to read too much on it though so you don't spoil anything for yourself, as I went in with too much pre-knowledge (for example, watching the ZP review isn't a good idea). Also try to resist looking up what happens when you have to make different choices... a temptation I couldn't resist.

And now... spoilers.

Episode 1:
-I enjoyed the beginning of 1. The chat with the police officer went on too long, but at the same time you got the feeling by what was going on around you that the world was going to shit.
-Clem's introduction is interesting. I have to wonder what changes about going out during night vs. day. I hear you meet someone different if you go out at night, but since that person leaves anyway, I'm left wondering if we'll see them again.
-The choice at the farm of who to save is odd for me. On the one hand, it's a kid. On the other, he's a freaking stupid kid who literally got the guy killed. Since he dies either way though, I have to wonder how it'll impact the future.
-I hate the old guy in the drug-store. The fact he punches you out at the end doesn't help. Speaking of which, I hate how the game handled the decision for not helping Kenny about Duck. I tried reasoning things out and it acted like I agreed with the old guy. That said, had they found a bite on him, I would have.
-The decision of Mercy was easy for me. I didn't give her the gun... not because I didn't want her to kill herself though. I didn't want her to make noise and attract more zombies.
-The final decision was tougher. Though it seems like you should have been able to save both. I saved the girl mostly because she had a gun. But, thinking about it... I think the guy is the better choice. He seems to be very intelligent (memorizing EVERY code for a remote!?) and his tinkering could come in handy. On the other hand, the woman came off smart, but a lot of stuff pointed to her being an idiot. Can't figure out why the radio works by herself, then when you help, she puts them in backwards... :/ We'll see what happens though.

Episode 2:
-I don't how the new guy was just there. But I did end up liking him. Too bad he ended up with his legs cut off and cooked.
-For food, I went in this order for my thoughts: children first, then women. When 2/3 women refused food (gave the one in command some food), I ended up giving food to the old man. So it went children, women, then age.
-As soon as I saw the two farmers, I knew they were cannibalses. I think it was the skin discoloration. Or maybe I was thinking to the Book of Eli and remembered cannibalism situations seem common in post apocalyptic worlds.
-I like how they left the whole aspect of the bandits open. It was interesting at least.
-The crazy lady was creepy, but what she said only reaffirmed my suspicions.
-Finding the guy without legs was disturbing. Then the way that he crawled downstairs and into the kitchen... blurg...
-I killed the first farmer. He seemed to be honestly insane and keeping him alive was likely a poor decision. And then I found out Clem saw me kill him. I felt awful to say the least. It helped me decide not to kill the second one at the end.
-I tried to save the old man, but I don't think that was the right move. He was close to death at best. Better to have been safe. But I tried to save him just because I figured it was a game and it wasn't going to end there. Just seeing him go splat like that... see my earlier comment about the guy with his legs cut off.
-I decided not to steal from the van to help atone with Clem, but they were right in taking it to be honest.
-I feel bad about the guy from Flordia hating me now. But at the same time I'm not sure what else could have been done. It really does suck there isn't any real option to tell him that he was right to be safe, but that I still had to try to save the old guy. Or that they should have waited till he didn't have a pulse and then smashed his head in.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Re: The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Aug 2012, 05:57

Episode 3 out, I love Kirkman's work and Telltale have really done it justice
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Aug 2012, 09:24

And it's also on sale for 40% off on Steam right now as well. I'll need to play through episode 3 before long.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 30 Aug 2012, 16:29

Ok, spoiler tags on everything, but there's a few things I HAVE to get off my chest

I can't BELIEVE that bitch shot Carley. It was clearly Ben that was tipping off the bandits. I want to go back and do that again sooooo badly, but I'm waiting until all episodes are out to play the whole thing through.

Poor -ing Kenny. I don't know if its the same on other people's playthroughs, but Katjaa didn't seem like she would shoot herself to me. I tried my best to moderate between Kenny and Lily, waste of time now I guess.

The notifications for when a choice affects a character are rather emotionally manipulative, I'm fairly sure that the fact that I'm aware I'm being observed changes my behaviour. I kinda want to play as a total dick on another playthrough, see how it goes.

I pushed Omid off the bridge and now I feel a bit bad, at the time I thought he might not jump for the train of his own accord. I pulled him up into the boxcar too, but that bit makes me think he would have scuffed the landing off the bridge anyway. According to the 'Next time on The Walking Dead' his leg goes bad which makes narrative sense. Shame though, to have made met new people and have it fuck up so fast, but I guess the pace has to be quicker than the comics

It's been a long time since I've wanted so badly to play through a game again after finishing it.
Last edited by Ptangmatik on 31 Aug 2012, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 30 Aug 2012, 22:22

For the notifications thing, you can turn them off entirely if you so choose. It's a nice little feature.

Just finished episode 3. SOOOO GOOOOODDDDDD. This game is dark, twisted, and doesn't relent... and that's why it's so good.

Spoiler time:

One of the main things that annoyed me is that it seemed really weird for her to shoot Carly/Ben. It seemed forced, like the writers were wondering how they thought having two different characters from the beginning was a good idea. Then Lilly driving off (if you let her stay) seemed weird, but made sense. I personally REALLY wanted to leave her behind. But decided against it due to how pitiful she was and the fact I wanted to be a good influence for Clem.

Also, with how amazingly awesome Clem is, I'm starting to think that she's either going to die and we'll have to kill her, or we're going to die and she'll have to kill us. We'll see I suppose.

The teenager pissed me off. I can understand being scared, but in the end he Carly her life. The whole bandit thing isn't that bad though. I can understand his reasoning and, frankly, it seems like the bandits would have gone after them anyways.

I was surprised by Kat killing herself just because I caught a spoiler. :( But I knew I was going to be the one to kill Duck. I couldn't make Larry go through that. Though I found out you can just leave Duck to become a walker. The notification that said something like "Duck now thinks you're incredibly awesome" though... I have all the sad. T_T

The hobo was interesting. I'll give him that. As were the other new people. I taunted Omir to just with the 'I guess we'll go with your woman then' line cause I knew he'd fall for it. I also helped her up first initially, but that was before I knew it was a 'choice.' I went back and changed it so I brought him up first. After all, he was the one who was wounded.

The last part... wow. I'm wondering what'll go wrong now. What did anyone else get for Clem's picture? I know they were supposed to be different depending on some stuff.

Also, Ptangmatik, I kind of agree with you. I feel like all the moderating and such was basically useless now that everyone but Larry and Clem are gone from the original group. The teen wasn't important in episode 2 either. Overall disappointed in that.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 01 Sep 2012, 23:33

So, for someone who's interested in this series and has a Mac, an iPad, and all three consoles, which is the one to use? I'm leaning to iOS because, y'know, portable.

Edit: Never mind. Telltale aren't releasing them in Australia on Xbox or PSN, and the iOS version is apparently buggy as heck. That decision became easy!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 02 Sep 2012, 07:28

I suppose that does make the decision easy. :P I would have leaned away from the iOS version anyways just because the episodes are released on a delay so far. But honestly the controls are simple enough where it wouldn't matter at all between Xbox, PS3, or PC unless the Mac version has issues with bugs. The graphics are stylized in a way which makes the 'it looks prettier on this system' pointless too. So I would have just told you to get it for whatever you use most.

Mostly pointing all that out in case others have the same question.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 02 Sep 2012, 14:17

I'd have preferred Xbox or PS3; the Mac version has a few bugs as well (mostly texture pop), nothing unplayable, but a bit jarring. Enjoying it none the less; love the conversation system which always lets you choose to be silent. Loved a few subtle bits of characterisation, too, such as Lee being rather erudite, which seems jarring at first but is later explained neatly. So yeah. Currently I'm holed up in a drug store and trying to figure out how to repair a radio.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 02 Sep 2012, 14:55

I've noticed a few texture issues on the PC version as well, but I'm not sure if that's just a general problem the game has. I also played through the first two episodes with a friend to let him see it and realized there are some times when being silent IS the best option. But it sounds like you're still on episode 1. There's a lot more fun on the way. :P
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 02 Sep 2012, 15:15

I used to be a big fan of Telltale but then kinda stopped playing their games after the Devil's Playhouse and Back to the Future, both of which I really dislikes, especially compared to their earlier games. From what I've heard from people who've played them, the Walking Dead games follow in the "more of a movie than a game" line, so I can't say I have been tempted.

Seamus (who has been enjoying the Walking Dead games, by the way) says that quite often it's a cutscene, a pause in which whatever you do doesn't matter at all, then another cutscene, and that the few puzzles are often a stretch. So it seems to me I wouldn't like it, since I like my adventure games with puzzles and couldn't care less about cinematics or cutscenes.

People definitely seem to be enjoying the series though, and I haven't checked the price but if it's like the rest of their games, the full season is probably pretty affordable, and at a couple of hours per episode, and usually 5 episodes per season, you have 10 hours of playing, which, well I'm used to games that take 100 hours to finish, but 10 hours isn't bad :P

And if what I've heard is true, there are different scenarios meaning there would probably be some replayability to it. (Not that I don't replay over and over games that are the same each playthrough, mind you).
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 02 Sep 2012, 15:23

Avistew: Yeah, it's more like a Bioware game minus the combat than a traditional adventure game. I'm surprisingly OK with this. In fact, I kind of wish they embraced it even more. I like a good adventure game as much as the next guy, but here the few adventure game moments seem jarring. It works better at its more cut-scene/QTE/well-designed moral choice moment pace.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 02 Sep 2012, 18:26

I'd compare it more to Heavy Rain without taking 5 hours+ to get interesting. There are times where you can explore areas and talk to people, but most of the time you're making decisions on how to interact with various characters in ways that change their opinion of you depending on how you react. I like the fact that you're given an amount of time to answer based on the situation. More hectic times give you only a few seconds while less hectic responses give you a chance to actually think about how to respond.

That might seem bad by implying that you don't have that chance in the faster points. And you really don't have enough time to really think things over. But you know what? I think that's a good thing. In those situations you wouldn't be able to stand there for a minute thinking about what to say. It makes it more interesting then if it gave you a set time or allowed you to take as long as you wanted for every decision.

For length of the episodes, they're actually surprisingly long. The last couple days I played through Episodes 1 and 2 with my friend and I'd guess it took 5-6+ hours to get through both of them. And that was with me knowing what to do from having played the episodes before. I'd guess on my first go, having done everything, it likely took me about 3-4 hours per episode at least.

For price, it's $25 here in the US. But I got it on sale from Steam for $15, and it'll likely go on sale around the time episode 4 comes out if I had to guess (given the timing with episode 3 coming out as it was on sale). So I know I'm happy with what I paid for it.

One of the nice things about the game is that it has 3 save slots. I have one for my main game, one for my friend's go-through, and I'm going to go through and do it as the 'asshole' options to see what changes. If desired I can do that before too long and report back on what changes between them.

(and I just realized I made another hellalong post. Sorry. ^^; )
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 02 Sep 2012, 18:34

Huh. Given how much I hate Heavy Rain, and don't mind this, that's a surprisingly apt comparison. Just goes to show how much a less pretentious attitude can go in making something palatable.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 03 Sep 2012, 06:26

One thing that kinda annoys me though is... (spoiler)

the way some decisions and achievements don't matter and a lot of the changes you DO make are cosmetic or transitory. When we were abandoning the motel, I happen to be a crack shot with a mouse, so I got everyone out safely. Then apart from Ben (who for all I know, might have made it anyway or might die at the start of the next episode since he's had his chance to pour his heart out) everyone leaves or dies, negating that effort. I understand that they can't really make a game with a truely divergent storyline, it'd cost too much, but it'd be nice to truely change at least one major plot line. For instance, what was the point of negotiating for so long to get a spot on the RV if everyone just piles in anyway?)
Last edited by Ptangmatik on 03 Sep 2012, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 03 Sep 2012, 06:35

So I should look into this series?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 03 Sep 2012, 06:37

I would say so. It's definitly worth it, especially if you're a fan of The Walking Dead, or zombie stuff in general
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Sep 2012, 19:46

I understand what you mean Ptangmatik. That is somewhat annoying, but I think that the game is less having your choices influence the story per say. I think it's more likely effecting the characters. Specifically Clem and how she adapts, if she becomes a cold-hearted survivor or a more soft and innocent character. I could see the ending being that you get infected and she either kills you or gets eaten by you based on your choices. As well, Kenny's attitude towards you depending on how you treat him might change things too, like not letting you on the boat or saving you/Clem if given the chance. That is assuming he's still with you since you didn't mention him.

Still, I view it as more of a story with interactive elements then a 'game' per say. Most of the 'game' parts are very hard to mess up. And I mean what I say in the best of ways.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 03 Sep 2012, 19:55

So what choices have people made? Spoiler them, obviously.

Episode 1:

I lied to Herschel (because I didn't want people to know I was a felon), saved Duck (always save the kid), took Kenny's side (always save the kid), gave Mercy the gun (because dammit, how could I not?), and saved Doug (heartbreaking though it is, I valued his technical acumen above Carly's shooting).
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 04 Sep 2012, 00:11

Kapol wrote:Still, I view it as more of a story with interactive elements then a 'game' per say. Most of the 'game' parts are very hard to mess up. And I mean what I say in the best of ways.

Very true, the choices you make turn it into an incredibly immersive experience too, I guess that's why I get annoyed (spoilers below)

when the choices I make about the big stuff don't pan out, though that really models real life I suppose, like you're not always in control. I see what you mean about Clem and Kenny, I still have him, but he's near suicidal at this point. After talking to the hobo and teaching Clem to shoot I decided to do whatever I can to avoid the boat in the next episode. The guy on the walkie talkie fairly creeped me out, it looks as though we go looking for him next episode, which seems fairly counterintuitive

Ep 1 choices..... ermm... as far as I remember them: I stayed at the barn overnight and told Herscel the truth, I tried to save Hershel's boy, I figured Kenny'd get Duck, I saved Carley basically for her gun skills, I don't remember Mercy
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 04 Sep 2012, 02:40

Phew. Just finished episode 2. That final decision is a gut-wrencher! I chose to steal the stuff. But I feel really goddamn bad about it. And I just know it's going to bite me in the ass.

They did a great job really making you feel the characters' hunger, though. I was seriously torn about it, even though I'd been determined to take a moral high ground while playing.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 04 Sep 2012, 06:49

Don't worry about your decisions, just be glad that you've made it, there's an article on the escapist about sticking with decisions

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... e-and-Done

I don't agree entirely with his perspective, but he makes valid points.

Enjoy episode 3! (or else?)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 04 Sep 2012, 10:17

I think it'd be wise if we start labeling our spoilers based on episode. As such, to answer Jack's question, I chose (episode 1 and 2 spoilers) to be honest, since lying didn't seem wise, to save Duck since he was a kid (albeit a stupid one), tried to take Kenny's side by reasoning with Carl, but apparently that's not siding with him, chose not to give Mercy the gun to avoid wasting ammo and drawing attention to my group, and saved Carly since she was a good shot and more women are needed to repopulate. For episode 2, I chose not to take the food. I didn't want to disappoint Clem after brutally killing a man in front of her.

As for what you said Ptangmatik [spoilers for episode 3 and 4] I don't think they actively go looking for the person. It seems likely that they get held up in the church due to an attack (since in mine Lee said that they shouldn't even look for her parents in the preview) and get into contact with the person thanks to the walkie-talkie and them apparently being nearby. Keep in mind that Omir's leg is hurt, which might be why they took shelter.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 04 Sep 2012, 13:21

Oh yeah. Episode 2 decisions:

That leg came off. I wasn't abandoning anyone. I sided with Lily throughout the episode. Kenny's a good guy, but he's too damn emotional and reactionary to be a good leader. Food was given to the kids, to Mark (he was trying to hunt for more, he was visibly weakening, and then to Kenny as a peace offering for siding with Lily in the earlier fight.

I agreed to the swap. I refused to shoot Jolene, and frankly wanted a choice to shoot Danny. Why? He said "Good" when he learned the camera had no batteries. That was the smoking gun piece of evidence that he was up to no good. That said, I didn't kill him when I got the chance. I will not kill a man if I can avoid it. (Earlier I would have, since it was looking very clear like someone was going to die, the only question was who.) For the same reason, I didn't kill his brother.

And I refused to help Kenny kill Larry. Believe it or not? I liked the guy. Asshole though he was. But he was not dead yet. Also, loved the way they faked you out with the CPR. And yes, I stole the food. Damn it, but we needed food. We needed it urgently. It wasn't moral. It wasn't right. But I did it.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 04 Sep 2012, 13:43

In response to Jack's episode 2 decisions:

My first time I tried everything else, making it so I wasn't able to save him. But since I didn't realize there was a time limit I restarted and did it again. So fun. For siding, I stayed neutral. Lilly is a better leader then Kenny but she was always too psycho to be in command. I'd prefer taking control myself.

I gave food to children then women. Didn't give any to the new kid though. I ended up giving some to Duck and Clem. Tried to give some to Kat but she wouldn't take it. Tried to give some to Carly but she didn't take it. Gave one to Lilly. And then gave one to Larry because he's older and more powerful.

Agreed to the trade, refused to shoot the crazy lady, killed Danny (he would possibly be dangerous at worst and, at best, he would have been screwed and likely end up as food). Danny's brother I spared because he was more pathetic, seemed less of a psycho, and I didnt' want to put Clem through it again.

Didn't help Kenny kill Larry because, while i think Kenny was right, I think it was important to try to save him before killing him. Took the food as mentioned because I didn't want to let Clem down and I knew the others would take the food anyways.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 04 Sep 2012, 14:12

Oh, heck. That's right. Kapol, I misremembered.

I didn't give food to Kenny, he refused it. I gave food to Ben, as a gesture of welcome. Strength in numbers, man.

Return to “Video Games”