League of Legends

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: League of Legends

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Sep 2012, 06:37

www.solomid.net is quite good for champion specific things.
The more in-depth guide might be too much information if you're not sure what on earth is going on (like me).

Do avoid the Volibear guide because it's information overload. It's a huge essay suggesting 40% of all the items and a sentence explaining why for each one. Perhaps you might actually find that helpful.
beramode0
First Video: Questionably Legal Man

Postby beramode0 » 02 Sep 2012, 07:00

I've been a playing a few rounds with the beginner bots since I needed some practice and nobody picked tankers!!! For all the three rounds I played they just all picked ranged (except one that chose a close range attacker) and locked in!! I wanted to play tristana but chose volibear and Tarric for the first two rounds but I said f*** it and just chose Tristana. I guess it didn't really matter since it was beginner. Also eesh don't wanna read an essay to play a character. I'm reading up on some guides by Korean gamers since them being Asian gamers and all. That is kinda the reason why I am staying away from the Korean server.
Twitter Steam Facebook
Add as a friend/Follow at your own risk.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 02 Sep 2012, 08:09

I'd help you out, but my computer's been giving me some problems lately, and I don't trust it with games anymore, so I won't be on league until I build a new one.

To be honest though, the best way to practice is to just dive right in to Normal PvP. It's somewhat intimidating, but it's the only way you'll become accustomed to the actual gameplay behaviors of opponents.

If you play vs. AI too much, you'll level up and get matched vs. the same level players when you do make the jump to PvP, and if they have PvP experience, and you only have AI experience, chances are, you'll get beaten quite handily, which can be very demoralizing.

My advice is to find one champ that you enjoy, and play nothing but them until you feel like you have a decent handle on game mechanics. Even just skimming online guides can help a lot here.

Then, slowly branch out and learn all of the game roles reasonable well; you'll have to deal with auto-lockers, and you don't want to be forced into a bad team composition because of it. You'll want to learn a good solo-top champion, a good AP mid, a good jungler, a good AD Carry, a good tank, and a good support.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Sep 2012, 12:58

I find AI are quicker to react than humans. But humans aren't easily fooled by you hiding in the fog and pressing B. Humans beings regardless of skill will hunt you down.

Intimidate AI is better than beginner because you'll be playing with better players. Beginner your team mates will be awful more often than in Intimidate. The players in Intimate tend to be confident.

Team composition seems to matter less at lower levels due to Masteries really help support or hybrid or jungling champions.

Are you on the US or EU servers?
--

I really heart Kennen.
beramode0
First Video: Questionably Legal Man

Postby beramode0 » 02 Sep 2012, 17:28

Yeap, I'm in the North American server and my nickname is boombamboom(I wasn't feeling very creative that day)
Twitter Steam Facebook
Add as a friend/Follow at your own risk.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 03 Sep 2012, 09:35

*Intermediate

:)
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Sep 2012, 14:05

Same thing in the context of LoL.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Sep 2012, 07:29

I <3 Udyr.
You wouldn't expect the champ to be fun on first glance because he looks like a "right click" champion.
He is, but it's much deeper than that.

Each of his stances gives him a passive effect, but switching gives a 6 second period of another. So you're constantly switching to try a maintain the desired passive effect (A stun on next attack with a CD. AoE splash. Increased attack speed) with Switching brief buffs (shield, increased attack speed, damage aura, movement speed).
You have to Jungle if you're building Tank-Phoenix stance. The Philosophy is that you deal a lot of AoE damage so build tanky to maintain the damage. The Tankiness helps you jungle efficiently too.

It's al-right Jungling. Start in Turtle for the 6 second shield then switch to Phoenix to start AoEing mobs down.

Ganking and Team Fights is where it gets exciting and intense. You must always make use of your stun, preferably on the enemy AD carry. Must proc your shield when you need it. Use Phoenix for damaging more than one Enemy or if you want damage to start rolling with the switch effect. Use Tiger to Single out one target. Just constant stance dancing that doesn't feel tedious. It flows so well.
The damage shield also means if you're low, you don't always have to go B. You could go back in if it's against one enemy to cheekily stun them and run away.

Drawbacks are that you're not a carry.
You devolve into Tank who stuns and is quite hard to kill late game.
You can only really gank early and mid game with Red buff so you don't really carry your team if they're morons with early ganks to tip the balance back to your favour.

Other than that fun. It seems I quite like Jungling in LoL as much as HoN, but in LoL you're expected to gank (opposed to HoN where half the junglers are carries and afk farm till it's needed of them to leave).
Draygarth
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Draygarth » 18 Sep 2012, 17:24

Hey, I play LoL. I mainly play Kog'Maw or Hecarim depending on if someone else wants to jungle. I'm almost level 20 and my summoner name is Draygarth. I just started playing Hecarim but I love ganking with him, especially when the enemy hasn't warded :D
John North
First Video: ISC

Postby John North » 19 Sep 2012, 04:23

Been playing LoL since the days or pre-Season one.
Back in my day Flash was op and we liked it that way; also jungle wasn't easy mode and not every champ and their Bear could do it!!

But srs though been feeling a little burnt out on LoL this past month and decided to do crazy things
with the massive rune horde I have. going all Ap Pen runes on
ziggs then getting Pen Boots and a H-Guise is funny as fuck.
61 Magic pen with his Q span is insane if you can keep pumping him full of manna.
Also all Mr per level galio with a CoH and Magic resist boots is a dam fine way to fuck with any AP Mids like Kass or LeBlanc. 80 Mr at level 4 and around 40 Ap without the self shield, WuJu gona do now!

In other news; Post the first champ you played in a full 5v5 against humans and how badly you messed up.
Zilean for me and I got Pen Boots AND Boots of Ganking because ovs having two pairs will make you faster.

:Edit: Derp forgot my summoner name, Alzran level 30, don't have win numbers off the top of my head but its over 900ish at this point I think
Thought for the Day: Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 03 Oct 2012, 13:32

Anyone planning to watch the Season 2 World Championships? Playoffs are tomorrow until Saturday, with finals on October 13.

I'm interested in seeing what teams bring out as their best strategies. Hopefully see some slightly atypical champs.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 03 Oct 2012, 16:34

I love when, in like, the finals or something, one of the teams will have some kind of "secret weapon" strategy and end up picking something totally atypical and catch the other team completely off-guard.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Oct 2012, 22:27

The new honor system is amazing.

I've gotten honor almost every game I've played, and all today, my teams are good. No ragers, communication and teamwork! 8 out of 10 of my last games are wins.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Oct 2012, 02:11

I play a lot of Bot games and despite my constructive yet condemning comments of YOU SHOULD PLAY BEGINNER BOTS I still get honour for team work because I am an amazing team worker.

I play bots because I have a stronger leg to stand on when calling other players bad.
I also play Urgot because I enjoy him and the fact he's a skill shot. It means I have a even stronger leg to stand on when commenting on other players.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 05 Oct 2012, 05:13

The honour system is insane. Everyone is so "friendly" now and makes lame jokes and kitty faces (>:3) and thanks each other.

However, experience has told us that LoL players are generally an angry, misanthropic bunch. Which means that it's more likely they're just pretending to be nice while still being tiny balls of rage at heart.

But that begs the question... does it matter if it's fake niceness or legitimate niceness? Is their feigned chumminess indistinguishable from real friendliness such that we feel good either way?

All I know is it creeps me out a little.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Oct 2012, 05:30

It's debatable.

My manager at work told me when her mum was elderly and in a home, her sister sent her some money in her birthday card for their mum.
My manager sent it back saying if "she can't give it meaningfully then don't send it at all". Which is fair.
But then again it was money which would have helped.

I think it's a grey area. Perhaps being fakely nice might turn them into nice people or be more tolerable. Or just make them even bigger gits when they're arsehats.

It won't change my attitude. I'm helpful as far as I can be anyway. Sometimes, some players deserve flame.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Oct 2012, 03:36

System isn't working well. I've giving out far more praise than I receive. Makes me wonder why even bother.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Oct 2012, 15:14

I caused someone to rage quit in a bots game.

I expressed my concern at lane set-ups. I was Urgot and top.

This Ryze said "It's only bots".

2 mins later "Ryze has been slain by Annie Bot (Bloodlust)"

I say "Ironic"

Ryze says "I can't be arse with you ****"

"Ryze has Disconnected".

It was good because he was level 1 with no items and it made the enemy level 2 Jax with items go inactive.

-

But yeah, players seem to rather rage quit than accept they were wrong.
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 22 Oct 2012, 17:15

It's the internet; and the LOL community in particular, I'm not really surprised :(
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Oct 2012, 01:09

Every day I play Bots games (intermediate so the players I am with are more likely to have a clue) to get that 1 win a day. Ironically, for the last week I've been winning on my third game. This annoys me because I lose due to stupid things my team do. I may not be the best player, but at least I am not 1/14/0 and fed the enemy AP Carry Ryze so much at the start he snowballed.
I'm trying to get it so that my win-a-day CD resets earlier, but each time it gets later and later...

I do enjoy Udyr, but you can't really do much if your team can damage anyone. Udyr is a great flash farmer and does great teamfight damage but sadly in bots there are never any team fights. The bots have better reactions to humans so any engages gets turned around quickly. Or the game revolves around ganking. A lot of ganking.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 15 Nov 2012, 05:46

So last night I was drinking with my roommate and we played a game as Voli (him) and Sona (me). He went top and I went bot with Varus.

Long story short he ended the game 17/3 and enemy Kog'maw said he figured I could kill him in a 1v1.

Probably the greatest compliment I have ever received in this game. :P
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Nov 2012, 06:18

Sona with Ignite is always unexpected, and funny.
-
I find the Champions I enjoy in LoL are the least powerful, except for Sona and Urdyr.

Urgot and Volibear are crying into my tissues.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 15 Nov 2012, 07:07

Man it just figures, I spend my 6300 on khavix and by the time I want to play again zed comes out and I would rather have had him *L* ah well
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 16 Nov 2012, 16:42

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Sona with Ignite is always unexpected, and funny.
-
I find the Champions I enjoy in LoL are the least powerful, except for Sona and Urdyr.

Urgot and Volibear are crying into my tissues.

Volibear is good.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Nov 2012, 17:01

But gets destroyed by the enemy picking up Ignite, which they ought to.

Return to “Video Games”