Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby empath » 31 Oct 2013, 21:34

Agreed; I think I STILL have a handful of keys that EVERYONE I know on Steam already has, due to HIBs.

And really, if you WANT to gift something to someone, why not just pay for a full bundle for them? I.E. you pay for a bundle in THEIR name, for their Steam account. It increases the overall revenue of that particular HIB, and more charity gets out because of it. The only down side would be lack of surprise on the gift-recipient since you'd need access to a HIB account for their Steam account, so this'd be something you'd have to clear with them first. *shrug*
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 31 Oct 2013, 21:49

empath wrote:Agreed; I think I STILL have a handful of keys that EVERYONE I know on Steam already has, due to HIBs.

And really, if you WANT to gift something to someone, why not just pay for a full bundle for them? I.E. you pay for a bundle in THEIR name, for their Steam account. It increases the overall revenue of that particular HIB, and more charity gets out because of it. The only down side would be lack of surprise on the gift-recipient since you'd need access to a HIB account for their Steam account, so this'd be something you'd have to clear with them first. *shrug*


I don't think that's how it'll work. You won't have the information for their Steam account (since you have to log into Steam to authorize it). I believe the current gift system for full bundles will stay the same. It's just that now you don't get individual keys. Which means no giving spares to friends.

And sorry to everyone if I came off as overly dramatic with my initial post. The main exposure I've had to this is through Facebook. And the vast majority of responses are people decrying the decision as if it's completely unfair to them. As Korvys mentioned, this does have benefits to users as well. It just happens to benefit the HiB more. It's not a one-way street though.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Nov 2013, 01:16

I completed Kingdoms of Amular. I uninstalled it within the next few hours.
I never want to touch it again.
User avatar
Lurkon
Posts: 1027
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 09:50
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Lurkon » 01 Nov 2013, 05:47

That's how I felt about Fable 3!
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby empath » 01 Nov 2013, 11:55

Kapol wrote:
empath wrote:Agreed; I think I STILL have a handful of keys that EVERYONE I know on Steam already has, due to HIBs.

And really, if you WANT to gift something to someone, why not just pay for a full bundle for them? I.E. you pay for a bundle in THEIR name, for their Steam account. It increases the overall revenue of that particular HIB, and more charity gets out because of it. The only down side would be lack of surprise on the gift-recipient since you'd need access to a HIB account for their Steam account, so this'd be something you'd have to clear with them first. *shrug*


I don't think that's how it'll work. You won't have the information for their Steam account (since you have to log into Steam to authorize it). I believe the current gift system for full bundles will stay the same. It's just that now you don't get individual keys. Which means no giving spares to friends.

And sorry to everyone if I came off as overly dramatic with my initial post. The main exposure I've had to this is through Facebook. And the vast majority of responses are people decrying the decision as if it's completely unfair to them. As Korvys mentioned, this does have benefits to users as well. It just happens to benefit the HiB more. It's not a one-way street though.


Hey, I posted that at 3am my time; I'm not surprised it's misunderstanding something; I'm just content it's LEGIBLE! :lol:

But yeah, there's really no down side to this, for anyone except an ethically-dubious 'exploiter'. ;)
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 04 Nov 2013, 15:24

Assassin's Creed has moved past its repetiousness and grown on me. I'm not sure why.
Image
User avatar
viscomica
Posts: 3346
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 17:01
First Video: SPRING!
Location: Ministry of Magic

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby viscomica » 04 Nov 2013, 16:43

Bebop Man wrote:Assassin's Creed has moved past its repetiousness and grown on me. I'm not sure why.


Because Altair :D (just joking, juuuust joking)
User avatar
Darkobra
Posts: 5343
Joined: 27 Jul 2007, 14:49
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis
Location: Scotland

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Darkobra » 04 Nov 2013, 16:44

Finished Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut. Fantastic. ESPECIALLY if you've finished the very first one.

And they did a fantastic job with the boss battles revamp.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Nov 2013, 17:01

viscomica wrote:
Bebop Man wrote:Assassin's Creed has moved past its repetiousness and grown on me. I'm not sure why.


Because Altair :D (just joking, juuuust joking)


Assassin's Creed 1 was the best horse riding simulator I ever played!
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 04 Nov 2013, 17:14

It's more or less the same as Shadow of the Colossus's or Red Dead Redemption's. Thankfully you can fast travel to the cities once you've visited them all. I don't mind the horse riding but the game's padded enough as it is.
Image
User avatar
ZePancakes
Posts: 813
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 19:23
First Video: Bad News
Location: The Event Horizon, NSW, Aus

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby ZePancakes » 04 Nov 2013, 17:46

I liked the post-credits tip of the hat for DE: HR.

I got really pissed at a friend of mine spoiled a plot point in HR as I was very wanting to play it with a blank slate, refused to speak with him for a week.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Image
User avatar
Darkobra
Posts: 5343
Joined: 27 Jul 2007, 14:49
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis
Location: Scotland

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Darkobra » 04 Nov 2013, 17:55

There were many more than that in it. Hobos whistling the main theme, some of the BIG names such as Gary Savage, Joseph Manderley, Tracer Tong, Dragon Lady and someone else from the Illuminati that I can't remember.

It was all really well done. Subtle enough so that it doesn't ruin the game for people that are new to the series but just enough influence to remind the original fans that there's a bigger war coming with the Daedalus Project.

And they even had a callback to the walking in the women's bathroom scolding!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 05 Nov 2013, 11:10

Look, I know it's not survival horror, I know the story's laughable and I know it's not the bestest game ever, but assuming I want a couch co-op game and I have one or two buddies to go through co-op a couple of times, is $20 for RE5 Gold Edition a good deal?
Image
User avatar
Darkobra
Posts: 5343
Joined: 27 Jul 2007, 14:49
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis
Location: Scotland

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Darkobra » 05 Nov 2013, 11:19

I really did not enjoy RE5 at all. Even as a co-op. Even ignoring the story and trying to treat it as a new game entirely that's not part of the Resident Evil series.

I'd say $20 is still too much for it.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 05 Nov 2013, 16:50

On the other hand, I really enjoyed RE5. I think $20 is fine for it.
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby empath » 05 Nov 2013, 18:26

So, I guess the critical criterion is: who's gonna be on the couch beside ya: Kapol or Darkobra? ;)
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 05 Nov 2013, 18:42

I'd watch a Let's Play where Kapol and Darkobra co-op RE5.

"Man this game is BULLSHIT!"
"What are you talking about, it's AWESOME! And we only paid $20 for it!"
"Fuck that, that's too much!"
"But I'm really enjoying this!"
"I'm not enjoying it AT ALL"
Image
User avatar
Darkobra
Posts: 5343
Joined: 27 Jul 2007, 14:49
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis
Location: Scotland

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Darkobra » 05 Nov 2013, 19:31

And then I'd Sheva bow him. And he'd Hulk Smash me. And I'd let him get eaten by a spider. Then he'd throw me in the lasers.

Yeah, I'd play for that.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 05 Nov 2013, 20:23

I guess I'm just looking for a good couch co-op game on the PS3.
Portal 2 is my runner up but it seems pricy and of low replay value.
Image
User avatar
Phailhammer
Posts: 3236
Joined: 14 Nov 2010, 05:15
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)
Location: Hazelbrook, NSW, Australia

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Phailhammer » 05 Nov 2013, 20:51

I think the only Resident Evil I've played is 6, co-op. I enjoyed it, possibly mainly due to the fact that my friend and I would not stop taking the piss while playing it. We started referring to it as "Resident Evil: My Brand", mocking the shout you hear from the other character when yours dies.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 05 Nov 2013, 21:08

RE6 was another runner up but it's too pricy for me. Played the demo though, seemed fun.
Image
User avatar
D'Arcy
Posts: 73
Joined: 25 Feb 2005, 16:08
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby D'Arcy » 06 Nov 2013, 09:09

Just installed Dragon's Dogma through PS+ - heard good things.
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.
User avatar
Valkyrie-Lemons
Posts: 1204
Joined: 23 Nov 2012, 09:09
First Video: Spoken Word
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 06 Nov 2013, 13:29

Dragon's Dogma is a game I really like, although it's designed for a male character since there is only 1 romance-able male, and it's someone who you meet on a side-quest, and one that is easily missed.

But it's a good game, boss fights (and mini-bosses) are really epic. You're able to climb onto huge enemies and not just attack their feet.

Don't be hoping too much for a good plot, it's cliched as it gets (I won't spoil it for you, but you'll see what I mean).
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?


I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Nov 2013, 13:40

It's fun destroying try-hard Pokemon teams on random match-making in Pokemon Y (and X).

This dude on his last Pokemon spammed Sword dance (he was using a Ground type).
I, using a Poison type (he could easily 1 shot me) as my second to last, used Toxic, and then 1shot him with Hydropump.

IN YOUR FACE STAT BUFF SPAMMER. FEEL THE WRATH OF PURE ATTACK.
User avatar
D'Arcy
Posts: 73
Joined: 25 Feb 2005, 16:08
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby D'Arcy » 06 Nov 2013, 14:25

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:Dragon's Dogma is a game I really like, although it's designed for a male character since there is only 1 romance-able male, and it's someone who you meet on a side-quest, and one that is easily missed.

But it's a good game, boss fights (and mini-bosses) are really epic. You're able to climb onto huge enemies and not just attack their feet.

Don't be hoping too much for a good plot, it's cliched as it gets (I won't spoil it for you, but you'll see what I mean).


Cool, thanks for the info.
Honestly, I've been so busy with school that I've hardly had time to touch last month's + games, outside of some Hotline Miami.
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.

Return to “Video Games”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest