Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Deedles » 25 Dec 2014, 11:31

Prospero101 wrote:That's what I'll probably have to do. I'm boycotting Uplay because it's caused me nothing but problems.

Oh, same here, but this wasn't so bad. When you'd press to play it in Steam it'd open up Uplay to open up the game, that was literally it.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Dec 2014, 11:49

Prospero101 wrote:That's what I'll probably have to do. I'm boycotting Uplay because it's caused me nothing but problems.

I didn't have any problems with Uplay. Or is it just an online multiplayer thing?
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 25 Dec 2014, 12:38

I guess I'm a special snowflake, but Uplay's problems have prevented me from playing games I paid for more than once.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 25 Dec 2014, 17:04

It's prevented me from getting an Assassins Creed game that I was meant to get for free for buying the graphics card I did. I had the code for it, but couldn't get to the game because for some reason it didn't exist. When I sent a ticket to the support I didn't get a response. To be fair, I didn't buy the graphics card for AC, and don't have that much interest in AC. So it wasn't that that pissed me off, but rather the fact that uplay was so shit and the support didn't even have the energy and decency to send me even an automated response.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 27 Dec 2014, 15:47

I've been calling my character in Far Cry 3 "Jungle Batman". I just realized that's just another way of saying Rambo.

Cleaning those outposts is too much fun!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 27 Dec 2014, 16:51

Far Cry 3 was so good. I really want Far Cry 4, but can't justify the cost right now.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2014, 03:31

So Dragon Age: Inqusistion says I don't have DLC downloaded, which I'm certain I do, so I can't load my saved games as it requires them to play. The PSN network doesn't seem to be working, or loading, for me, meaning I can't validate the DLC or re-download them.

Well...I guess this means time to send more Kerbals into space!
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 02 Jan 2015, 19:24

Just finished The Talos Principle. Very good, especially if you liked Portal. Puzzles are excellent, story is excellent, and optional, if you don't care.

I've heard people say it's the next Portal, and I can't say they're far off. Less funny, but that same high polish.

Highly recommended.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Jan 2015, 15:53

Still purging those outposts in FC3. And I'm psyched for FC4, which I can't wait to buy (actually I can and I will, it's too expensive right now). Thing is I just read there's only 24 outposts in FC4. That's 10 less than in FC3. What happened to "bigger and better"?

Also playing Borderlands 2 on co-op. I think it's superior to the first game on several counts. Mostly on diversity. There's a richer variety of enemies and enviroments (and guns I guess). I like the more varied enemies. The Goliaths that level up and fight other enemies, the invisible stalkers and the gravity-pull threshers, the self-fixing robots, the bandits that steal your loot... then there's the story. I don't think it's better or worse than the first,, but it's way more focused, which is a plus. At least I know why I'm doing what I'm doing now.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Jan 2015, 05:55

Salivating over the idea of playing my current games on higher graphics with higher processing power. Not long to go...
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 11 Jan 2015, 15:00

So, a quick question for the group.

I'm playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and, while I don't like it as much as the first two, I've warmed to it after a frustrating beginning and gotten into it.

However, I just expelled Sera from the group, after it became clear she'd endangered her contacts without their knowledge, for little gain, for her own profit. I could not see her as anything other than a callous thug with delusions of grandeur, and I had no business amplifying her power by keeping her in the Inquisition.

And I'm really conflicted on this. On one hand, it means I don't get the rest of that story. It's done. It's finished. It's over.

On the other hand, I hate that it came to that.

Is this good writing, or bad? Should a game make you wonder if you want to keep a character around? Or should it be making you want to keep finding out about its story and its characters?

I lean toward thinking it bad writing, but then... people like that do exist. The game should reflect this reality, right?
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Jan 2015, 17:05

Co-op night with the girlfriend! Life is very good.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 11 Jan 2015, 17:31

JackSlack wrote:So, a quick question for the group.

I'm playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and, while I don't like it as much as the first two, I've warmed to it after a frustrating beginning and gotten into it.

However, I just expelled Sera from the group, after it became clear she'd endangered her contacts without their knowledge, for little gain, for her own profit. I could not see her as anything other than a callous thug with delusions of grandeur, and I had no business amplifying her power by keeping her in the Inquisition.

And I'm really conflicted on this. On one hand, it means I don't get the rest of that story. It's done. It's finished. It's over.

On the other hand, I hate that it came to that.

Is this good writing, or bad? Should a game make you wonder if you want to keep a character around? Or should it be making you want to keep finding out about its story and its characters?

I lean toward thinking it bad writing, but then... people like that do exist. The game should reflect this reality, right?

Purely game wise, you have no penalty for NOT recruiting a character, so having a story/preference reason to not hire someone is actually good writing. Saying "I really don't want this character in my group because of who they are/what they do" is a sign that the game is overriding the logical "More characters = good" mechanic inherit in the game.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 12 Jan 2015, 05:28

I would say it's good writing. You actually cared enough about the story and the way you portray your character in that world that you were willing to exclude this person from the party. It sucked you in deep enough that you were looking at it from a personal standpoint, not a mechanical one.

I find a lot of Bioware's writing so good because it makes me question myself. Vivienne makes some damn good arguments about why the Mage Circles shouldn't change, which I had never considered. And both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition asked me questions that I had to dig deep to find my personal answer for (choices about The Geth and Cole respectively)
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 Jan 2015, 13:50

"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jan 2015, 21:22

Uh....

Luckily, a bunch of them I never intend to finish and only got via Humble Bundle.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 17 Jan 2015, 23:45

Only 100 days for your Steam Library? Mine ( http://steamleft.com/span/76561198079648689 ) is currently sitting at ~230 days, but I'll admit to my addiction to Humble Bundles is continuously inflating it (major Steam sales have their damage, but not as persistent).

However, I'm a little dubious about some of their time comparisons... Their calculations claim the original Legend of Zelda is cleared in ~10 hours & Ocarina of Time in ~30 hours. Nowadays, I can easily clear them in half that time (can get it down to 1/3rd of that if I push myself).

Still fun to see how hopeless your library might be.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 18 Jan 2015, 01:58

Urgh, why did I look. Likewise, I'm dubious about the time, but in the opposite direction. I'm much worse at playing games than I was, so I could easily see that total doubling. What does it even count as "completion" anyway? I've got a few endless sim-style games, so finishing them in any reasonable time without purposely ending it is just insane.

EDIT: They're also wrong about Tennant being the best Doctor, so clearly you can safely ignore their total. :P
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 18 Jan 2015, 12:33

I've got problems. To be fair though, I have completed 131 games in my library already, but yeah.. I really need to stop buying bundles.

Unfortunately I seem to be in a bit of a lull in my gaming life. Over the past month I've completed a handful of games that I've been told are quite fun, but which I've sort of felt very neutral about. South Park, Roundabout, MGS:GZ, Red Faction: Guerrilla, the Saints Row4 DLC missions. I wouldn't say I disliked them, they just failed to really resonate. I even played Murdered: Soul Suspect, which I went into expecting to be bad and while I can assess from an objective standpoint that it wasn't a particularly well executed game, I just don't have strong feelings one way or another.
and now; back to me.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 18 Jan 2015, 13:28

ANeMzero wrote:I've got problems.

I did not know this was a thing, awesome: I might have some hours left unfinished :o
ImageImage

TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 19 Jan 2015, 23:56

If I actually bother to update my Backloggery to properly reflect my game library & status, you'll see my completion percentage slowly slide under 20% (if it hasn't already).

Before my little Steam addiction, it was pushing 30% completion.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 20 Jan 2015, 08:49

Hi, it's another Versus Episode with your host, Indecisive Buyer.

Killzone Trilogy vs. Resistance Collection. Never played any of these games, both collections have the same price.

Killzone Trilogy has Killzone (HD remake), Killzone 2 and Killzone 3. Includes some DLC. Only the third game has co-op, as well as online multiplayer.

Resistance Collection has Resistance: Fall of Man, Resistance 2 and Resistance 3. Includes some DLC. Every game supports local co-op, though online multiplayer has been disabled as of last year.

I'm leaning towards Resistance because of Insomniac Games + local co-op, which is a big plus for me. But I don't know. I know nothing about these games except that they're military shooters with an alien twist, and Yahtzee had nothing but praise for Resistance 3 (AKA Half-Life 2) while he was pretty meh about Killzone 3. Yet Killzone seems to be the more popular franchise, going by forum debates.

Which one should I get?
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 23 Jan 2015, 07:45

I own all of them and I think Killzone is more or less a re-skinned modern military shooter.

It's not bad, but Resistance is by far the better franchise. The first one is not as good as the other 2 though, so keep that in mind.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Jan 2015, 04:17

I got the Resistance Collection on Tuesday, but thanks for the input anyway :)
Ranneko
First Video: Checkpoint on PA

Postby Ranneko » 26 Jan 2015, 12:03

Does anyone on here have Star Realms? I have been playing it a ton and want more opponents!

Return to “Video Games”