Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 31 Aug 2013, 16:58

Bebop Man wrote:BioShock - $20
Dead Space - $20
Resident Evil 5 - $20 (Gold Edition, $30)
Red Dead Redemption - $20 (Game of the Year Edition, $30)
Portal 2 - $25
Batman: Arkham Asylum (Game of the Year Edition) - $25
Journey / Flow / Flower - $40
God of War Saga (GOW 1, 2, 3, Chains and Ghost) - $50

Bioshock: Great game and considered a classic by many. $20 is pretty high considering it came out so long ago. But that's likely the best price you'll find it on without a sale.

Dead Space: The original Dead Space was pretty good. But, if I were you, I'd just get Dead Space 2 or look for a combo pack (you should be able to find one for maybe $10 more. But I feel Dead Space 2 is the superior game in nearly every way, and the story from DS1 is explained well enough in it.

RE5: A lot of people disliked RE5. I thought it was pretty good. The forced co-op bothered me quite a bit, but I had fun with it. It's not nearly as good as RE4 (which you should find and get if you've yet to play it). But it's worth picking up in my opinion. Not sure on gold though. I'd say it's not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt.

Red Dead Redemption: It's a very good sandbox game with a lot of things to do. I'd say it's worth picking up. I'd say gold is worth it because I've heard Zombie Nightmare is very good.

Portal 2: Not as good as Portal 1, but still very good.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: The newer Batman games are both really solid. I'd recommend looking for a combo pack if they have it with both Asylum and City.

God Of War: I don't like God of War that much. But if you like hack-n-slash games, you could do far worse.

Between all of those, you should have months of gameplay. Some more good PS3 games I could recommend would be:

Infamous 1+2
3D Dot Game Heroes

And there's likely more I can't think of.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 31 Aug 2013, 19:22

BioShock and Portal 2 are worth it. I've never played the rest, so can't tell you.

And, contradicting Kapol, I think Portal 2 is indeed as good as Portal 1. Not better, but just as good.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 31 Aug 2013, 19:25

AdmiralMemo wrote:BioShock and Portal 2 are worth it. I've never played the rest, so can't tell you.

And, contradicting Kapol, I think Portal 2 is indeed as good as Portal 1. Not better, but just as good.

I think in a lot of ways, it is better. But it fails to capture that same feeing that the initial Portal had. The initial portal was tight, with punchy dialogue put together with puzzles that used a fairly new mechanic. This is more of the same, but it's stretched out, making the entire thing feel a bit... thinner to me.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 31 Aug 2013, 21:02

Exactly my reasoning for making them equal. Better, but more stretched.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Sep 2013, 05:15

Remember that the original Portal wasn't a 'full length' AAA game; a big-budget sequel is GOING to feel longer. ;)
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Sep 2013, 06:44

Hmmm OK so the prices are right and so are the Gold/GOTY Editions?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Sep 2013, 11:50

empath wrote:Remember that the original Portal wasn't a 'full length' AAA game; a big-budget sequel is GOING to feel longer. ;)

It isn't about feeling longer. If it was just 'Portal but longer,' that'd be fine. It just felt like it spread itself a bit too thin. There weren't so many punchy jokes as there was in 1. It wrapped itself up a bit more in the story than the first. That made it more interesting story-wise, but it also had the effect of making the game lack as much surprise. But that was likely because it was a sequel.

I just feel Portal left a better impression on me. It was a tight game that didn't overextend itself, using unique mechanics, and filled with pretty funny dialogue. Portal 2 suffered from being a sequel. It wasn't unique like Portal was at the time. It felt more stretched out in a bad way compared to the first. And it had more dialogue, but also more blank spots for it.

To put it in another way, I compare the two end songs similarly. Want You Gone is the better song song I think. It's a lot more rhythmic and interesting to me. However, Still Alive came out of right field, leaving it fully unexpected, and meshed beautifully with the game. Moreso than Want You Gone I feel. It's worse song-wise, but I remember it better and more fondly than Want You Gone.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Sep 2013, 14:39

See, now - that's the Sequel Syndrome; part of Portal's appeal was the new ground it broke, the things it did that no one did before.

With regards to that appeal, Portal 2 COULD NOT possibly match that - to follow after, it HAD to do some things the same, so it sacrificed some of the 'novel' nature.

ANYWAYS, we essentially agree that it's not as good as its predecessor (practically by definition) BUT IT'S STILL GOOD - but the question here is: is it worth $25?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Sep 2013, 14:42

Right. I was just making my point clear. As for value, I'd say it's pretty easily worth it. Especially if you (Bebop) have a friend you can go through co-op with. It's a decently lengthed game and a good deal of fun.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Sep 2013, 18:51

Yep, I'm actually looking for some co-op. That's why I also threw in RE5 in the list. I saw this Let's Both Play RE5 on YouTube and thought it looked fun, as far as co-op goes. But I'll try get both Portals if I can. I just posted Portal 2 because I can't seem to find the first one anywhere. I thought there was maybe a combo edition?
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 Sep 2013, 19:26

What you probably want to look for is The Orange Box, which is where Portal was first released. It did get a release of its own later (not sure if the PS3 got one or not), but this should be easier to find.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Sep 2013, 19:49

The PS3 got one but I don't think it was ever released in Argentina.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 Sep 2013, 04:00

Huh.

I'm not nearly as impressed with Gone Home as everyone else is. It's actually kind of shit. :?

ETA: This review pretty much nails it for me. "Slight" was the first adjective I reached for too.
Stroggo
First Video: Ways to make sombody leave a room

Postby Stroggo » 07 Sep 2013, 17:37

JackSlack wrote:I'm not nearly as impressed with Gone Home as everyone else is. It's actually kind of shit. :?

AT LAST lol! What I found really jarring was how the game's tone was so divergent from the plot. Everyone I've discussed this with has let it slide, seeing as it's an 'art game' but it really pissed me off for some reason.

That said, it did manage to keep my attention for a few hours, so kudos in that regard.
[6e6f:20:6d:61:74:74:65:72:20:77:68:65:72:65:20:79:6f:75:20:67:6f:20:65:76:65:72:
79:6f:6e:65:27:73:20:61:6c:77:61:79:73:20:63:6f:6e:6e:65:63:74:65:64]
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 07 Sep 2013, 18:05

I admire what it's trying to do, and heck, even what it does. It's a non-violent sui-generis game of small family loss, lives and drama. It's a massive 'fuck you!' to the idea of games needing to be anything in particular. There are people who would want this game and hate most of the games released. This is a good thing that games like this are being made.

But it's so freaking... slight.

When I compare it to games like The Path, or Proteus, I'm just kind of sad. The Path had more to say on (very broadly) a similar theme. Proteus has only one damn thing to say, but it does it with its every moment on screen, using no words of any sort to do it. Neither feel slight the way this does. (Although, to be fair, I'd argue Tale of Tales could also learn a bit from Gone Home's more conventional but carefully considered control scheme. Really, the 'put back' mechanic is, if nothing else, kind of brilliant.)

But then, this is a game genuinely trying to connect humanly. Without metaphor, or artifice, the way (say) The Path or The Walking Dead does. (Or if you prefer, The Last of Us does... except with added bullshit and overtly gamey wank.) I appreciate this. I appreciate its small scope. And yet, weirdly? I wish it was a tighter focus.

Many spoilers follow!
The Sam story is clearly the major one. It ends the game and starts it. There's roughly four (I think) plotlines in the game, but I'm disappointed with how disconnected they are. Imagine if the father's story had connected with Sam's, with us getting a sense of his headspace in the face of his rebellious daughter. With understanding his sorrow, maybe even horror, at her late revelation. What's going through their heads? What's their connection to this?

We never get that. And the ending feels like it flees the question the story desperately needs to answer: How does this family heal? (Well, with that answer, I guess it is answered: It doesn't.) As far as it goes, no, it can't really address those questions. Not without bringing the characters back, at least. I kind of wished for a different ending. Could it have ended more ambiguously, with nothing but photographs upstairs? Could there have been a knock at the front door to end the story, and we finally meet Sam, setting the stage for something new?

I think there's tremendous talent shown off here. I look forward to their next game. But I hope it's something different to this. Something more organic, and variable. Something able to find more to say about its subject matter. Something bigger, yet more focused.
Stroggo
First Video: Ways to make sombody leave a room

Postby Stroggo » 07 Sep 2013, 19:12

JackSlack wrote:It's a massive 'fuck you!' to the idea of games needing to be anything in particular.

Very true!

minor spoiler
One point which keeps being raised (even in that review) was how Gone Home refrained from using narrative techniques from other forms of media. With that being said I was kinda underwhelmed with how they executed it, given how they had ample opportunity and talent to push interactive fiction in it's own direction (at least in relation to video games). I was expecting new and intriguing narrative hooks to pull me along, but instead they resorted to "Ooohhh spookyspookyspooky!", then just tossed it. This essentially is why the pseudo-horror tone the game takes, irked me so much!

I dunno, I just expected it to be a little more clever, that's all.

EDIT: Dude your post count :D
[6e6f:20:6d:61:74:74:65:72:20:77:68:65:72:65:20:79:6f:75:20:67:6f:20:65:76:65:72:
79:6f:6e:65:27:73:20:61:6c:77:61:79:73:20:63:6f:6e:6e:65:63:74:65:64]
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Sep 2013, 18:14

Just finished Rogue Legacy for the first time. I ended up with exactly 99 children.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 08 Sep 2013, 18:51

Kapol wrote:Just finished Rogue Legacy for the first time. I ended up with exactly 99 children.

I'm nowhere close to finishing... I don't want to know how many children I have... :(
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Sep 2013, 19:21

What I did was grind money with Splunkers (who, when upgraded, let you see where all chests and special rooms are) to upgrade things. The bosses aren't that hard once you get the patterns down. But it's just so easy to die! You get hit once and things just go downhill fast.

And when you start the new game+, the enemies start at level 100... in the first area... and are the powerful 'normal' variants.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 08 Sep 2013, 19:25

You saved 99 children but your kid ain't one.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Sep 2013, 12:37

So I'm torn between RE5 Gold and Red Dead Redemption GOTY. Yes, I know Red Dead is the better game, but I want them both just as much. Both are $30 each. And the price of Journey/Flower/Flow just dropped to $30 as well. Decisions, decisions...
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Sep 2013, 12:45

If I get one game this fall, GTAV is te correct choice, no?
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Sep 2013, 15:23

Well yeah but it's going to take forever before it gets to Argentina. Cost a shit-ton, too.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 11 Sep 2013, 15:25

Honestly, I'd probably be going with RDR of the three. I love the crap out of Flower, but you'll get more time and value from RDR.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 12 Sep 2013, 10:13

RDR is probably the better choice. Still I keep pushing back, waiting for prices to drop a little more. It's bound to happen once the PS4 is out, right?

Return to “Video Games”