Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby unpronounceable » 17 Feb 2016, 20:26

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:- Defence Grid 1/2 where you make pretty murder mazes.

I was actually looking for a suggestion from my intentionally obtuse list. I also burned out on the whole tower defence genre a few years ago. Between Dungeon Defenders, Defender's Quest, Sanctum (2), Fieldrunners, Defense Grid, and Sol Survivor I've played quite a few of them.
hacofo
First Video: DB5 Stream

Postby hacofo » 17 Feb 2016, 22:24

Self aware, but pandering JRPG sounds like fun. (hyperdimension neptunia?)
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 19 Feb 2016, 07:38

If "Totally not Sonic" is a pseudonym for Runman: Race Around The World, DO IT!
Otherwise, I'm not sure.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 22 Feb 2016, 14:50

I also asked some friends elsewhere, and I'm going to play Self aware, but pandering JRPG, aka Hyperdimension Neptunia.

The other games were:
  • Freedom Planet (Totally not Sonic)
  • Out There Somewhere (Teleporter Space Platformer)
  • Undertale (Wordy shmup or shmuppy words game?)
  • Shovel Knight (That other digging game)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Feb 2016, 14:23

New Pokemon games coming out later this year. Generation 7. Goodbye monotype starter teams, you'll have to choose which Pokemon looks the ugliest.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 27 Feb 2016, 13:12

I wish I could have been surprised by the reveal, but sadly, it was painfully obvious for a multitude of reasons.

But more interesting... The R/B/Y VC releases have Pokemon Bank compatibility?! How will that even work?! What about the Special split? Lack of natures and abilities? Can you still do the Mew glitch and transfer that over? What happens if you try to transfer a Missingno.? Unless these releases have been patched to Hell and back, I'm curious if they know what pandemonium they just unleashed on the world.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Feb 2016, 15:29

It's not the old carts, because they can't be used. So it's the Virtual things.

Perhaps they're simplifying the IVs and EVs because, even with the improvements in X&Y, it's not fun.
People have been generating Pokemon because they're lazy, and I don't blame them.

Perhaps the reason the Meta got so stale was because it was too much of an investment to create a unique team. And to be frank, the gameplay of Pokemon outside of battling and planning is really boring.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 28 Feb 2016, 18:02

SUPERHOT has been absorbing my life over the last few days.

The price base price is a bit steep and the campaign took me a brisk 100 minutes the first time through, but it is a phenomenal shooter. Endless and Challenge modes are basically the bulk of the game and they are amazing. I've unlocked nearly every endless arena so far, and I'm currently working my way through the bare-hands campaign challenge mode.

The built in replay recording/upload function is also great. It just fits the game so perfectly. I've already uploaded a couple if anyone is interested.
and now; back to me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Feb 2016, 06:55

Blade & Soul is a fun "action" (can't really dodge easily as my mage class; annoying) MMO.

Sadly no shared quest credit tagging for mob kills; which means you hate your other plays.

Has an interesting faction system, in that there are multiple factions and each in locked in a 1v1. So you champion multiple. PvP status is set by equipping the factions' clothes. So, that's cool immersion.

Clothing system is cool. Clothes are aesphetic. Your stats come from equipping 1/8 of a set of THING ("Soul Shield" a circular murual). Each eighth has a stat on it. (3), (5) & (8) of the same set equip gives a bonus.

The loot system in theory is interesting. You bid currency on the drop. Highest bid wins it. If no one bids, the object is vendored and the money is split. Shame you can buy in game currency. So, sort of pay2win via auction. But you can troll people with bids.

It's worth trying. The premium stuff is strange. Usual +more stuff. But one is the wardrobe system. It makes me wonder what happens when it runs out. Does your wardrobed clothes flop out, or are they frozen?

Because the gear is aesthetic, a lot of it is gated behind RNG which isn't necessarily awesome. I have been quoted "4 days" of tries to get this suite I want.

Suffers from bouncy boobs. Like, weird jello. Also, the guy's breasts don't jiggle, so it's inconsistent. Pervertedness is equal between the Gon race. However, female have more ass, so not entirely equal.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 05 Mar 2016, 17:11

For a bit of fun (and editing practice) I cut together cutscenes and mission highlights from an entire XCOM 2 campaign. I think it actually turned out pretty interesting to watch, which is surprising since i haven't done anything at this sort of length before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NLtt0Dfk7g
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 11 Mar 2016, 06:49

So I got stuck on my first Dark Souls playthrough, with Ornstein and Smough.
I tried beating Smough first. I tried beating Ornstein first. I tried summoning Solaire. I tried putting fire on my sword against Ornstein. I just can't beat the two together - while I focus on one the other interrupts me. I run away to heal, but at some point they corner me and wipe me out. Any advice?
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 11 Mar 2016, 23:09

Only advice I can give is try to keep both them to one side of you at all times. That way you can keep tabs on them both. Aside from that I really don't know. I lucksacked myself and beat them on my second try.

Once one is dead, the fight should shift a little in your favor
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Mar 2016, 14:39

The big guys out front can make for good practice at fighting multiple large opponents at once, so grinding them for a while may help.

Otherwise, I have no real advice. I just slam into that fight until I lucksack through it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 12 Mar 2016, 18:43

I played a tank when I beat Dark Souls, and it was a few years ago, so this might not apply to you/be inaccurate. I always took boss fights very defensively. I fought Ornstein first, always letting him come to me. I think I tried to keep one of the pillars between him and Smough, to buy me a bit more time before the two were on me again. I think it goes without saying, but make sure you know your weapon timing, and capitalize on attacks with enough recovery time that let you safely get hits in, but don't get greedy.
Solomon-Kain
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby Solomon-Kain » 14 Mar 2016, 09:55

I would Advise changing your armor setup. If you are light or medium armor, go grab Havel's and put it on. If you are heavy armor Sword n Board try fastrolling and 2 handing. That's a good idea if you are really having trouble on a boss and don't see a way through it. Change things up and fight them in a different way. The Pillars are the most important part of the O&S fight, you can split them up and fight them 1v1 for about 2 or 3 seconds at a time.
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 07 Apr 2016, 17:48

Atlas Reactor is a game that's basically a turn based MOBA. Here's a Polygon article on it. I've played a few games in the open alpha that's going on right now, and it seems pretty good. It isn't as complicated as LoL, so it's much easier to get in the game. The other thing that I really like is that matches are only about 15 minutes, so it's not a big time commitment either.

I'm probably going to play a bunch this weekend. If anyone wants to play with me, I'm Unpronounceable#9972.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 Apr 2016, 13:39

Sometimes a film or book or game is so good that no sooner have you finished it, you want to go back and experience it again from the beginning.

Sometimes, it's so good that you feel like never letting any subsequent experience tarnish the memories of that first time.

Life is Strange falls into the latter category- flawed, sentimental, clunky... and yet utterly, irrepressibly beautiful
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 17 Apr 2016, 05:13

Psychonauts(Particularly the Milk Man level) sort of fits into both for me.

BTW, I've been playing Cargo Commander recently -- good game to play while listening to a podcast or something. It's basically a procedurally roguelike/platformer in space.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Apr 2016, 08:35

The next Supergiant game has been announced!

It's called Pyre.

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=99&v=FvxfmnrNj2U
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 19 Apr 2016, 09:41

And I am freaking out! Supergiant is possibly my favorite game studio.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Apr 2016, 10:47

Out of their two games, they have been consistent for me.
Gamefreak used to be consistent, but Gen V was a challenging generation for me, and I felt like perhaps Pokemon was no longer for me.
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 26 Apr 2016, 16:27

I was playing games with my old roommate, and he suggested we play Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, and wow, I had forgotten how much I like that game. It uses puzzle game mechanics to make a really compelling battle system. It's good enough that I actually bought it twice. Once on the DS, and again on Steam, which has some balance tweaks, and better graphics. I would love to play against people if anyone has it on Steam.
Cossak11
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet 3

Postby Cossak11 » 28 Apr 2016, 21:29

I didn't play Clash of Heroes, or any of the regular Might and Magic series for that matter, but the Heroes of Might and Magic games were my jam. I'm currently banging my head against the brick wall that is Enter the Gungeon, and playing through the FFIX PC port.
The only person I know who enjoys the Kamigawa block. *Sips Coffee*
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 10 May 2016, 11:25

Gamefreak's been doing a lot more with story in the series, though, which I really love. Black and White have direct sequels, X & Y have stuff with AZ continuing into the post-game of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and now it looks like there's a connection between X & Y and Sun and Moon.

I found an old thread on gamefaqs where people were trying to figure out what was up with the Strange Souvenir item, and they realized there are two people in the town you get it that talk about waterfalls. Specifically, one of them talks about a waterfall that flows backwards, which is a real-life thing in Hawaii. Adding that the person who gives you the item says "you'll find out in due time" where he's from, and that the item looks like a tiki head, I think it's safe to say he's from Hawaii. And Sun and Moon's region is very obviously based on Hawaii, so...

tl;dr Gamefreak's doing a lot of continuous story and I love it.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 May 2016, 13:43

Finished Metro: Last Light and Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc over the last week. Last Light was good. It's story was pretty good. Even if it got kind of weird with the supernatural stuff.

Danganronpa was pretty good. It felt like Phoenix Wright and Persona had a child. And that child is currently going through it's angst-filled teen years. It had elements of both games, but neither of them felt as good as the 'parent' they came from. I didn't feel nearly as invested in the characters. And the trials felt a bit cumbersome. But they were much more active than the Wright trials, which was nice. The story was weird but fine. The murders were generally predictable, but interesting.

Overall, I'd say it's not as good as the games it feels obviously based on. But I enjoyed it.

Return to “Video Games”