Star Citizen - Mini Sandbox Universe released!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Re: Star Citizen - Dogfighting Module released!

Postby Volafortis » 10 Jun 2014, 03:23

Yeah, I was talking about the enemy AI getting better late game. Allied Ai is always... questionable.

I think they've killed 2 Vanduul total for me, in all the times I've played it.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 10 Jun 2014, 04:12

Oh no the enemy AI absolutely gets better but yeah Allied is terrible.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 04 Jul 2014, 14:14

Played my first match against other players, and the general mechanics seem very solid. The flight model really comes into it's own in PVP.

Flying my only ship, this little Aurora, a lot of oppenents underestimated the ship, and I managed to kill 2 Hornets that were tailing me at once, dropped two flares to shake the missles they fired, and erratic vector changes to avoid as much gunfire as I could. Decouple quick to fire a missile at one, and re-couple to change my velocity vector.

Soon, I was behind the second Hornet, and I was able to decouple again and pound to bits with my Omnisky III as they tried to reorient their heading. (it's a non-standard gun, so it probably caught them unaware. It's way better than the default Behring M3A).

Made it out of that scrap with nothing more than slight left listing in flight (I think they knocked out a maneuvering thruster).

They didn't underestimate the ship again, though, and seemed to utilize their gatling guns a lot more after that, rather than relying on missiles.

There are a bunch of weird little glitches and some typical early multiplayer system issues. The host seems to hop ships forward a bit on occasion, and there aren't enough different spawn points, but the general premise is very solid and fun. Can't wait to see this in the PU.
Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 14 Jul 2014, 10:46

I didn't see this thread 'till now. I'm a massive SC fan. I have a Retaliator and a Super Hornet package.

Have gotten up to wave 0 in the Arena Commander (as it was a bug, it was meant to be wave 15), but that's it so far. Game needs a lot of work, but it is amazing for pre-alpha.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Jul 2014, 13:03

Thus far, I'm absolutely terrible at the dogfighting. I haven't really given it much time yet so far, due to being distracted by other games. It's also the non-dogfighting aspects that interest me far more in the game.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 14 Jul 2014, 14:29

I'm decent at the dogfighting I'd say, buy yeah, I'm ultimately far more excited for the economics/exploring aspects of the game. My ultimate goal is to get myself a Connie and start a little smuggling operation under the guise of a legit trading corporation.

Also, the multi-crew ships and the boarding aspect of space combat are what really excite me. The dogfighting is cool, and I really like the little touches they've added to make it unique, but it's probably one of the things I'm going to be doing the least of once the PU actually launches.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 24 Jul 2014, 13:18

I need to spend more time in dogfighting. I've only joined PvP once, just to check it out. I did pretty well considering, but I need more flight experience. Last time I discovered that decoupled mode was more than just the main engine cut-off. Probably more subtle ship maneuvers I could learn if I played with it more.

I probably won't focus on combat in the PU, as I'm planning on piloting my Connie mainly with a Super Hornet in the hanger if I need to get dirty.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 06 Aug 2014, 19:31

Well, not sure how many of you hadn't already been able to access multiplayer, but it's open to all now: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -Available
Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 16 Aug 2014, 06:39

Holy crap. Has anyone seen the latest stuff? New Connie variants released, racing mode being released in two weeks (it looks amazing), upgraded hangers to be released soon, and a teaser for the FPS.
They even did a quick demo of what multiplayer ship combat will look like.

Get hype!
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 18 Aug 2014, 09:50

My Phoenix Connie is so pretty. Hot tubs IN SPACE!
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Aug 2014, 14:38

The new Connies do look cool. The Taurus is very tempting to me - almost 7x the cargo space than even the Freelancer MAX, and for only $10 more?

I think I'll still be sticking to the Freelancer for an initial cargo ship though, it sounds like the Freelancer works better for solo play (even if you can hire crew for the Connie). I still have my eye on the Retaliator for a multi-crew ship.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 18 Aug 2014, 17:46

I want to get a Connie sooo bad. If only I had the money to spare. (Well, I do, but, y'know, trying to be responsible, and all that)
Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 19 Aug 2014, 18:10

I'd get a Connie, but I already splurged on a Retaliator. It is the prettier ship.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Sep 2014, 08:27

New ship for sale now: the Reclaimer Salvage Ship.

Second largest ship in the game, at 158 meters long, and capable of holding/processing a Connie's worth of scrap at once.

Now, it costs $350 (and this is the 'discounted' rate), and it won't be in the game for 2 years, BUT it comes with LTI.

For the next few weeks, more new ships will be available for sale, with LTI but not available until after all of the currently sold ships.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 27 Sep 2014, 10:24

See, now that sound like exactly the kind of thing I'd enjoy playing, and the design is awesome, buut...

$350... for one ship... that you don't get for another 2 years... in a game I'm honestly convinced is going the way of Battlecruiser 3000AD.

Yeeeah, no.

Also how the heck is LTI a feature? You'd better freaking hope you can't lose a $350 ship permanently, who would ever think it's ok for that to be a one time thing?

I'm not being a dick about it, but I genuinely, honestly can't understand how you guys are still excited about this, given the frankly terrible way it's been going so far. I love all of Chris Roberts' work, but his good name is still pretty much the only thing Star Citizen has going for it.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Sep 2014, 11:55

I fully plan to wait to buy the ship in-game, and LTI is a feature make way too big a deal out of. The regular insurance is supposed to be cheap anyways - what's costly is cargo insurance (which isn't covered by LTI).

The game has way more going for it than just Chris Robert's name at this point. The alpha version is out and playable, with a dozen ships implemented to varying degrees, and three different game types. We've seen gameplay footage of the multi-crew ships in action, and we know the FPS module is well underway. Not to mention the $55 million in funding (with more on the way) and a staff of over 200, which is suitable for the outlined goals of the game.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 27 Sep 2014, 12:22

The Reclaimer is sweet. I think my ultimate goal is still just to be flying around the galaxy in a Connie, but if I ever find salvage to be an appealing enterprise, I know what to get. Honestly, even if I just find myself wanting a cargo ship, I may get that instead of a "typical" cargo vessel, just for the multi-functionality.

And damn, it's HUGE, here's a size comparison to the Connie:

I'm so excited to see multi-crew ships functional in game.

-------------------------

@ch3m1kal: You do realize that every issue with the game so far can be attributed to it being a super early pre-alpha, right?

What's been going so terrible about it? You clearly haven't backed it, so you can't possibly have experience with the gameplay, which I've personally been enjoying a LOT, even for the pre-alpha state it's in. It doesn't play like airplanes in space, which I love about it.

Every single ship you buy now is just them giving me a reason to back the game. I don't NEED to back the game to get these ships once it comes out. On release, all of the ships will be something I can buy strictly through gameplay. It's just you choosing your reward for backing a certain amount into the game.

Once the game is actually released, every single ship that players have spent money on, barring a few special models of certain ships, will be unlockable through in-game progression. Life time insurance exists on backer ships just so you can't lose any ships you've spent lots of money on permanently.

So no, it's not 350 for one ship, it's you choosing to back 350 into an alpha, and getting that ship as a reward. I don't understand why time and time again you fail to grasp that concept, and keep returning to this thread to add nothing to the discussion. If you aren't interested in the game, just don't back/buy it. Simple as that.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 27 Sep 2014, 13:14

Mmm, that's some good condescension and baseless assumption you've got going on right there.

Just FYI I didn't back the KS, but I did buy a 300I package. However I find the current state of the game to not be something I'm interested in.
Arena Commander is frankly not that amazing, the core combat is solid enough but has severe balance, performance and at least for me, stability issues. And that's without mentioning the months of delays it took them to even push that out the door.
Oh and because I'm EU based, my ping isn't all that great either.

I've also made exactly 3 posts in this thread, talking about how I'm personally not very happy with what's currently going on in Star Citizen and how I'd like to actually see more game rather than incredibly overpriced ships, and promises. I've already seen this exact same thing happen in Mechwarrior Online, and that turned out to be a huge disappointment.
I could also point out how in pretty much the same time frame SC has made what's essentially a tech demo, the Elite team has managed to get together a pretty much fully featured game.

But clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about and this is not a place to discuss anything beyond how incredible Star Citizen is, point taken, I'll make sure to not have the wrong opinion again.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 27 Sep 2014, 14:40

The only assumption I made was that you hadn't backed the game, if you have, fine I'll acknowledge that. It doesn't change the ignorance of your points.

Star Citizen also has far more ambitious goals than Elite. Multi-crew ships, FPS/Boarding Action, and individually detailed/tailored systems/starports.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Elite: Dangerous too, but you can't really compare the game development cycle to Star Citizen, since Elite uses Procedurally Generated content and doesn't expand much beyond exploration, trading, and dogfighting aspects. Star Citizen is taking longer to develop because it's a bigger game, in terms of what needs to be developed.

Again, you're talking about the ships being incredibly overpriced, but they aren't. You don't need to buy the ships now. You can get them when the game comes out. There's nothing overpriced about it. Hell, the price barrier to entry for Star Citizen is lower than Elite (which I agree is right, Elite is a more completed game, at this point, and so should cost more.)

If you're following Star Citizen development, you'd know that every single week they release tons of information on the current state of Star Citizen development. At every major convention, we're getting new footage on the next module, FPS mechanics are scheduled to be revealed at PAX Aus.

I'm not saying you can't have complaints about Star Citizen, because I have my own as well. But when you do complain, you should realize that you aren't talking about a completed game, or even a near completed one. You're talking about a game that is still having core mechanics being developed. Balance/Performance/Stability issues come with the territory.

ch3m1kal wrote:But clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about and this is not a place to discuss anything beyond how incredible Star Citizen is, point taken, I'll make sure to not have the wrong opinion again.

And this is just you whining and pulling out some straw man because you time and time again are refusing to acknowledge the early alpha state of the game, and that the ships are simply backer rewards.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Oct 2014, 17:39

Next "Concept" ship up for sale - the 890 Jump. It's being sold in batches of 890 for...$650.

From a gameplay perspective, beyond being a 120m yacht, it supposedly serves as a respectable CNC ship and mobile guild hall - with the most living space of any ship revealed so far in addition to a decent sized cargo bay, solid defensive capabilities, and a hanger bay that comes with a runabout (2-seater, half the size of an M50) - but looks like it can accommodate an Aurora, M50, or Mustang.

I don't think I'll be getting one though - even in-game, not really my style. Also, dat pricetag.

...And the first batch sold out in 5 minutes.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Oct 2014, 19:34

In other news...I own a Cutlass now.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 10 Oct 2014, 20:24

Wow, that crowdfunding spike.

Also, I love, Love, LOVE these commercials. I think they plan to have television (lore equivalent) sets in bars at spaceports. Not sure what they have in terms of shows, but the commercials will be worth checking out the television for alone.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Oct 2014, 12:07

Oh, something else I forgot to mention - for the next week all 5 flyable ships are available to everyone in Arena Commander.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 14 Oct 2014, 19:04

Our first glimpse at the Persistent Universe is here!

RSI Website
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 Oct 2014, 07:34

Sooo, we were planning on spending my tax refund this coming spring on a new bed...I think I'll have to change that plan for a new computer...

Return to “Video Games”