Nintendo Fans Unite

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Nintendo Fans Unite

Postby wartjr2373 » 20 Nov 2012, 18:57

Nintendo fans seem to be under-represented in the LRR community. Are there any folks here who count themselves among this group? I haven't seen any mentions of Wii U anywhere on the forum and that makes me slightly sad.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Re: Nintendo Fans Unite

Postby Under_Score » 20 Nov 2012, 19:39

Well, like many a Nintendo release, the launch titles aren't worth buying just yet. I'll probably ask for it for Christmas, though. Honestly, the thing that most excites me about it is being able to play games on the controller while someone else is using the TV. But, yeah, I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan. Maybe not the biggest, though I'm definitely a fanboy for Pokemon, and Kirby has a special place in my heart.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:53

The launch lineup is rather extensive I think, some of the best they've put together. I'd be playing Nintendo Land right now if not for Desert Bus. (Congrats LRR, you're more alluring than a new Nintendo product, and that's saying something.)

So you play Pokemon? Have you played Black/White 2? Whenever Pokemon has come up on DB the knowledge is sadly lacking, but I'm always interested to meet Pokemon fans.

Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 20 Nov 2012, 20:17

I've been playing White 2 since it came out, though only a few hours a day and not every day. Been busy with school and stuff. And yeah, I was the one who asked for the Who's That Pokemon? Challenge because I knew that they'd come up with ridiculous names for the more recent pokemon. Pikachaos seems to be the pokemon-fan representative, but apparently she doesn't play the recent games anymore.
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 20 Nov 2012, 20:26

Yeah, I was disappointed to find that out about Pikachaos. She didn't recognize Meloetta when she did my Mite Mite Kochichi challenge.

The Who's That Pokemon challenge was great, thank you for that.

What's your progress in White 2? I've finished the main game, and my main goal is to complete the habitat list (about halfway there). I haven't raised any good Pokemon for PWT or Battle Subway yet, but my in-game team is Serperior, Excadrill, Electivire, Arcanine, Golduck and Crobat.

I will take a cue from Jonny and declare myself right now to be the LRR Forum's resident Pokemon Master. If anyone wishes to challenge me for this role, they are welcome to. :P

But yeah, I kinda like Pokemon.

GarfaceMcGar
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby GarfaceMcGar » 21 Nov 2012, 01:51

I have a full national Pokedex in Black, but I'm still plugging my way through Black 2. If anyone wants to battle or trade I'm always up for it.

Also, no WiiU in Australia till the 30th :( assuming I can actually afford my preorder after Desert Bus is over...
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 21 Nov 2012, 02:39

I've been a Nintendo boy from the NES to the N64. I've kept up with the handhelds until the DSi XL. I'd like to get a 3DS but it isn't in the budget right now. I also have games on other systems I should open & play before getting more, but I'm still into Nintendo.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 21 Nov 2012, 02:41

I have a 3DS. And that's about it.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 21 Nov 2012, 02:48

How is it? Would you recommend?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 21 Nov 2012, 03:45

There are good games available for it - Mariokart 7, DOA: Dimensions, Prof Layton and the Miracle Mask, Rhythm Thief and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. In fact it was seeing that last game on demo at London MCM Expo that made me get a 3DS in the first place (I love the FF music you see :D).

So it probably comes down to are there exclusive games on it that you want.

As for the hardware it's pretty much the same as the DS. And I don't find the 3D too intrusive. But I wouldn't have paid the original price for it.

Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 21 Nov 2012, 04:50

For the Wii U and actually pretty much any Nintendo console released in recent history the draw has (for me personally) been not so much the games but the mechanics.

• Motion controls for the Wii.
  • Dual screens of which one is a touch screen for the DS.
  • 3D graphics for the 3DS, I guess.

These features are (again, in my opinion) always capable of doing some very nifty things but it's then up to Nintendo and the developers to actually make use of the functionality.
The Wii had a very hard time getting out of the remote waggling, and the DS had its rough patches as well but (especially the DS) eventually got there.

The Wii U has, once more, the potential for awesome gameplay innovations. Especially dissimilar-role multiplayer is something I really look forward to being used well.
However, until it outgrows the 'game you play on your tv but can still take with you to the toilet' stage there's no real added value for me yet.
Definitely keeping an eye on it though.

And I'm quite a Pokemon fan. Sunk hundreds of hours in both Gold and Black.

Mara.

EDIT: Yay, 100 posts!

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 21 Nov 2012, 05:14

Mara Kalat wrote:EDIT: Yay, 100 posts!

And that's something you can't get from any of them :D

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Nov 2012, 06:56

I regard myself more of a Gamefreak fan than Nintendo.
LONG LIVE POKEMON.
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 21 Nov 2012, 13:17

GarfaceMcGar wrote:I have a full national Pokedex in Black, but I'm still plugging my way through Black 2.

This line exactly describes me as well, except for the fact that my Pokemon playing has been distracted by Desert Bus and Wii U for the last few days.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:LONG LIVE POKEMON.

This. Some say 649 Pokemon is too many. I say it is not enough.

Honestly, the 3D function in the 3DS is my least favourite part of the device. It didn't interest me at all, and when I play games on 3DS I almost never turn the 3D on. I still got it on release though. Buying new Nintendo consoles is second nature for me. Even though the first many months of 3DS was barren for games, I knew the latest and greatest Nintendo stuff was coming, so I bought it. Same for Wii U.

Speaking of, the Wii U did in fact interest me with its gimmick. Yesterday night I was playing New Super Mario Bros. U in my bedroom, even though the Wii U was plugged into the TV in the living room, which was pretty cool. My GF in the other room was watching me. It was a surreal experience.

Btw, games I like on 3DS, if anyone is interested:
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (only if you've never played it before)
Pokemon Rumble Blast (for fans of Pokemon only)
Pokemon Conquest
Tetris Axis
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
StreetPass Mii Plaza (understated because it's included by default, but I have lots of fun with it)
Last edited by wartjr2373 on 21 Nov 2012, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 21 Nov 2012, 15:33

I'm... contemplating getting the WiiU. I know I'm going to get it eventually, and I played it at an expo last month (Nintendo Land is stupid good fun) but I'm not sure there's currently enough games for it to be worth my while getting, by which I mean one that'll last me more than 10 hours. Maybe at the end of this academic year.

I love my 3DS though, mostly for the DS's catalogue though. Looking forward to the next gen Pokémon, didn't buy Black/White 2 just because I never finished the originals, much to my regret.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 21 Nov 2012, 16:23

I used to be a hard core Atari fan back in the day. After about 1997 or so I expanded out and decided I'm just a video game fan in general - which means I make an effort to own every console so I can play all the games. I'm a little sad that I don't have a WiiU yet and will get one as soon as they get to me on the waiting list at my local GameStop. (I also don't own a Vita.)

I do really enjoy Nintendo though and can't wait to play more. I've only got 4 badges in Pokemon White 2 so far.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 21 Nov 2012, 16:36

I have what is known as "blind faith" in Nintendo. I agree that the offerings for Wii U are light right now in terms of games I will play. Nintendo Land and NSMB U are the only ones I own. But I know there will be games. Good games that I will want to play immediately, like a new Zelda or 3D Mario game. So the Wii U I buy.

The tech is fascinating enough that if you can afford it, I recommend picking one up.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Nov 2012, 17:02

wartjr2373 wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:LONG LIVE POKEMON.

Oh it is if you expect newcomers to the series to jump through stupid hoops to CATCH THEM ALL

I'm thankful I have 3 generations of Pokemon migrated over.
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 22 Nov 2012, 17:07

To be fair to pokemon, they've realized it's better to drop the Gotta Catch 'em All motto.
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 22 Nov 2012, 20:27

No one ever said catching 'em all would be easy. It was a challenge, painful at times, but it's one of my greatest gaming achievements.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Nov 2012, 02:06

It can die in a fire :P
There's a difference between a challenge and being lame :P

Sometimes something being difficult isn't a good thing. I believe the challenge of being fresh to the series, buying Pokemon Black 2 and then being expect to catch all 700ish where most are gained from Trades or random in-game mechanics is lame.

I remember in Ruby spending Months trying to catch a Feebas. When I did I felt annoyed at how stupidly difficult it was to catch that Pokemon.
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 23 Nov 2012, 02:44

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:It can die in a fire :P
There's a difference between a challenge and being lame :P

Sometimes something being difficult isn't a good thing. I believe the challenge of being fresh to the series, buying Pokemon Black 2 and then being expect to catch all 700ish where most are gained from Trades or random in-game mechanics is lame.

I remember in Ruby spending Months trying to catch a Feebas. When I did I felt annoyed at how stupidly difficult it was to catch that Pokemon.

Nothing about the game insists that you get them all though. The reward for it is pretty terrible too. It's something for hardcore fans to do, and others don't need to feel pressured to do it.

You won't take my achievement away from me! :P

Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Nov 2012, 04:43

I dunno why but I've spent more time on Mario & Sonic at London 2012 than I ever imagined I would.

Return to “Video Games”