Crusader Kings II (and General Paradox Thread)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Re: Crusader Kings II (and General Paradox Thread)

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 01 Apr 2013, 11:59

Combine it with Sunset.

Zombie Aztec Invasion. Now that's a scary thought.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 01 Apr 2013, 15:01

As a beginner still, the size of this guys empire is pretty insane.

also, it seems paradox are really fond of doing April Fools for several of their games, like EU4.
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 01 Apr 2013, 15:46

Why stop at just zombies when you can have a musical?
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 01 Apr 2013, 17:20

I know what they mean by time played.

The only game I've got longer on is Civ 5 at a stupid 370 Hours, but I've had that for around a year longer, so CKII is not doing that bad.

And seriously, musical needs to happen now.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 01 Apr 2013, 18:14

I don't have CK2 on steam, so I'm not sure how long I've sunk into it, however I know I've sunk > 450 hours into EU3.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 02 Apr 2013, 00:10

I got 256 hours in CK2, but my EU3 isn't from steam (I had it since vanilla; before the game was on steam) so I can't tell how many hours I've spent playing that game, but it has to be counted in weeks if not months.
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 02 Apr 2013, 09:01

As it stands i've only about 24 hours of CK2 playtime, still messing about getting a handle on things. Civ5 meanwhile has racked up 360 hours, having bought it only a month or two after release. Helped a fair bit though by my xbox having been out of commission for a couple months due to missing cables, so Civ5 became my default game.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Apr 2013, 12:18

I don't really have much time for gaming, so only have 30ish hours on CK2. Only just entered the 13th Century, which was heralded by me getting very angry at Scots and the Pope. Bastards, although at least the former is getting all due comeuppance.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 03 Apr 2013, 13:44

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 03 Apr 2013, 15:28

I'm so glad about the new tech system. The old one was just annoying.

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 04 Apr 2013, 02:15

[This] is the full broadcast if anyone is interested (5+ Hours) which has the EUIV, Old Kings and Heart of Darkness broadcasts.

I think, since I haven't watched it yet. Just going by the description.

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 04 Apr 2013, 05:24

Thanks, now I won't have to think about what I'll do tonight
Zyme
First Video: The Job

Postby Zyme » 07 Apr 2013, 15:04

Love Paradox, too bad their internet system is kinda a pain in the ass.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 08 Apr 2013, 00:02

Last edited by Smeghead on 08 Apr 2013, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 08 Apr 2013, 03:47

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 08 Apr 2013, 05:37

In light of the new Vicky II Expansion I decided to play the game as Greece.

Did quite well, didn't make a Great Power, but managed to get to secondary power status.

Quite good seeing as I had a communist, democratic and then attempted fascist revolutions. Seriously Greece, stop being so indecisive as to what you want!

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 08 Apr 2013, 05:41

I've tried playing Greece, but I've never managed to get all the way to the end before giving up. Their economy is terrible (...oh how current) and getting the really important events (recreating the Byzantine empire) are close to impossible to achieve without cheating.
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 15 Apr 2013, 11:07

Because sometimes you just have no control over things.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 16 Apr 2013, 09:42

Just bought Heart of Darkness.

Thankfully Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is only £20, otherwise I would have had a serious think about what to spend my money on this month.

Can't wait to use the new crisis system to my advantage.

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 17 Apr 2013, 11:13

so, any fun stories to tell yet? I haven't bought the expansion yet (I wanna finish up my divergent mod game first (since the expansion would render the mod unplayable)
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 17 Apr 2013, 12:40

The new colonial system is defiantly the best part of the game. Essentatlly the new system works that if you start to colonize an area and no-one else competes for it during a year (or so) you instantly get to colonize the area. If you have a competitor you sink more colonial points (base 100, extra points determined by number of naval points and their level) and try and outbid them or wait for them to pull out.

Since if you sink too many points in one area, you can't colonize somewhere else. So give an extra dimension to it, rather than just set a national focus on a region to waiting for it to tick by, you have to consider if it's worth getting into a colonial race with them, especially if you're racing with someone like the UK or France, who are bound to have the most colonial points, you probably won't win, so it's better concentrating elsewhere. This also allows more "fragmented" nations (i.e those without a homogeneous culture) a better chance in the colonial race. The other thing is that colonial races can turn into crises if it escalates too far.

The second best part is the new African nations present. When a certain area has been colonized, it can be released into a satellite state which frees up precious colonial points. The AI therefore releases a lot more satellites, meaning you see N.Zeeland, Australia and Canada (who were communist, then fascist in my last game) more often.

The newspapers haven't shone yet, but then I've only played as the "generic" nations without special newspapers, and I don't know if it's specific to your nation or global news. It's useful that it tells you when wars start elsewhere without having to constantly checking the wars tab. But mostly it's not that relevant most of the time. But it's quiet nice seeing some historical articles appear in the paper, such as the Titanic disaster, but it would be nice if it appeared as a special front page (thus to highlight historical events) rather than just a small sub-article.

The crisis flashpoints are so-so. Mainly since I've only played two games. One as a satellite, then free, Angola and the other as Jan Mayan, which made my game crash twice when my grand population on 16 got wiped out by smallpox. As Angola I got to great power status and let me tell you, if you're a European power, these things will start to get annoying, as most of the crises zones are in Europe. If a crisis occurs outside your home continent, you can ignore it as a GP without penalty (but you can also get involved if you want). If it's on your content you HAVE to respond to it or take a hefty prestige penalty. The one I had was -200 prestige if I ignored it and -300 if I didn't take sides by the time war broke out (if it did). I think this penalty gets larger the later the game, so by 1900 nearly all GPs will get involved or simply lose GP status. This is really good mechanic for the lesser nations and good to try and release new ones. Also it means the GPs can't bully everyone by the end. For example I actually saw Ireland come into the game for the first time ever after the USA backed it in a crisis.

I can talk much about the naval combat as I often go for a more peaceful prestige game, but the one or two encounters I had did make it clearer, so I'm assuming those more war based players will appreciate it.

So yeah, that's about it for a review.

As for any fun stories, I played as Jan Mayan. Start the game with 20 pops. And you know what? I was only 1 place off being a GP. Yes, I made a secondary power who could theoretically colonise somewhere with almost 1000x the population. A bit silly don't you think?

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 17 Apr 2013, 21:14

well, depends on how you look at it. a friend of mine is playing EU3 atm as Ireland and he now owns all of North America through colonization.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 24 Apr 2013, 09:54

So someone has decided to make an Elder's Scroll mod for CKII.

Got to say that this sounds interesting, although I wonder if they're going to create face packs for Khajits and Argonians.

PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 28 Apr 2013, 15:23

So if your current character gets the "depressed" trait in CK2 you can make them commit suicide, no questions asked, 100% success chance.

...interesting discovery.

Also elder scrolls mod sounds pretty cool.

Return to “Video Games”