Kerbal Space Program

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Jun 2013, 12:23

I think I've decided that I am neither creative nor skilled enough to really do this game justice...
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 19 Jun 2013, 12:23

It's a tough game, and can have a particularly high frustration factor when you're just on the other side of groking what you need to do, so I understand.

I'm finally putting into action the plan for my station in high Jool orbit. Here's the first train with the station frame, 2 large fuel tanks for the trip (and hopefully some left over), the nuclear tug to move it all, and 2 small tugs on the head and tail to shift everything around once it arrives.

It's in its trajectory towards Jool now, and just about to reach Minmus orbit. But instead of warping to rendezvous right away, I'm now building and launching the support fleet to follow it to complete the station and fuel it up. That way I'm not having to wait for proper Jool opposition for each flight.

Here's the Kerbin orbit station to show it when it's "complete". 4 orange tanks and an RCS stack (with multi-dock extension) on the bottom for permanent fuel storage, 4 small tugs, a heavy orange tug, and a nuclear tug all docked to it.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 19 Jun 2013, 13:04

Wow! How.....

You sir, are an exceptional pilot.

Unless I'm missing some crucial piece of information on how to dock that suddenly makes it easier (Which I don't think I am at this point)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 19 Jun 2013, 14:25

Well, if you saw me flailing about while trying to dock...

Though now that I turn it to chase view, which generally lines up your up/down/left/right on screen with the controls, I'm starting to get the hand of lining things up an maneuvering around the target ship. But I still usually end up with too much angle and relying on the magnetism to finish the job. These stations definitely provide plenty of opportunity for practice!
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 20 Jun 2013, 13:28

Building up my support fleet for the Jool station.

Train with the 3 extra fuel tanks, RCS lower extention, and 2 tugs being pulled by a 4-nuke-engine tug. This will be enough to "complete" the station, but most of the orange tanks will be empty by then. When it was full, it weighed in at 184 tonnes.

So here's 1 of the resupply tanks I'll send with the fleet. No idea yet how many I'll need to top off the station, though it's looking like it will get there with maybe half the fuel left, so perhaps 6 will do.

The main station has left Kerbin influence, but with the nuclear engines, it takes several passes to get enough delta-V for the full trip, so here's the current orbits of the parts train, and 2 fuel tanks (the 3 highly eccentric orbits). That represents about 1/3 of the total delta-V to get to Jool, the rest of which I'll supply on a long burn at Periapsis for each of them. I'll probably have time to get a couple more fuel tanks in orbit while waiting.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 20 Jun 2013, 13:30

Getting frustrated. I can fly quite well... if I can't see Kerbin. Once Kerbin comes into view, my framerate plummets and the slightest control input (even on fine controls) translates to too much movement to actually work.

All of the Scot Manley videos I watched seem to have helped at least somewhat, once I matched orbits successfully the first time in the full version, I managed to dock the spacecraft with relatively little trouble. (These were two Mk 1 capsules each with a Clampotron Jr on the nose and the orbital insertion stage still attached.)
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 20 Jun 2013, 21:11

That's weird. Typically what I see is fps drops due to the physics engine once there are too many ships/parts within load-in range (such as approaching a station, you'll see a lot of videos that lag when it gets close enough to load in), which is a CPU and not a Graphics bottleneck. But what you're talking about seems to be graphics related instead, so probably try turning down or off some of the graphic settings if you haven't already?

Hopefully some of the next updates will really concentrate on some more optimization.
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 02 Jul 2013, 00:30

New space station, and lots more docking practice. Though it's funny, I've gotten so used to slugging around massive objects, that when I went to dock the "escape" pods on the docking tree pointing off the side, I had trouble with how twitchy they were even with fine controls on.
I have an idea for a video let's play that I think will be pretty unique, but I'll need to install another hard drive to have room for the files.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 02 Jul 2013, 03:48

sounds interesting. keep us updated if you decide to go through with it
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 25 Jul 2013, 00:28

Version 0.21 has been released. Be aware that it will break saves, so if you want to keep playing old saves, install into a different directory so you can launch the old version separately (Scott Manley has a Steam version guide for this). You can, however, copy your .craft files into the new version, and they'll load fine.

However, the biggest flight change is how SAS and control pods work, so previously stable ships and planes may need to be jiggered to make them work acceptably again. Using the new stabilization wheels to turn will also use up electricity, so be sure to have plenty of power. That's just a rough overview, so check the forum for detailed problems/solutions.

While waiting for this, I've been planning my Let's Play, and I should be able to start recording the play sessions soon, but there will be a lot of post-production, so I probably won't start posting until the first "season" is complete. I might post some early footage here to get some input, though.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 03 Aug 2013, 06:03

So, 0.21 is awesome. The new building models are great, and the improved SAS works a treat for airplanes.

This is what I've been getting up to though...

Red 5 standing by.

There's also an atmosphere-capable version, which comes in both S-foils open and closed modes.

It flies surprisingly well, provided you point it upwards on the launchpad and throttle up before release the stabilisers.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Aug 2013, 06:30

I've been working on SSTOs, practicing with the Elysium by Macey Dean but today I built one from scratch that made it into a (very rapidly decaying) orbit with (a little) fuel spare. Hurray for me, though I'm still hampered by every deposit of kethane being on the other side of the planet.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 22 Aug 2013, 14:28

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 23 Aug 2013, 01:30

I... will second that.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 26 Aug 2013, 05:00

I don't know if my skills at this game is deteriorating or if the latest patch made it harder; because I am suddenly having a hard time doing some common stuff.
Tried to send a single kerbil to the Mün and back; he barely had enough fuel to land so I had to do something i had never done before; rescue a kerbil from another planet/moon.

To my surprise i actually managed it (even if the stranded kerbil had to walk 3km to get to the rescue craft (precision landing it was not)).

Also been playing around with a lot of mods (Mapping satellites are so fun (and useful) along with the laser cameras)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Aug 2013, 12:57

Someone has made a programming language for kerbal rockets. It is awesome.

It has some limitations because he decided to create a new language instead of encapsulating an existing one, so that it would be simple enough for non-programmers to play with. Still, if it keeps going, then we will be able to create KAL 9000.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 26 Aug 2013, 14:47

I did this a while ago then totally forgot to post it: I have a modular rover, I can just keep throwing new sections at it to extend it if I want, like a train. That thing on the front is fuel, but I'm not sure how I want to utilise it yet, as the whole thing runs on solar at the minute.

Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 03 Sep 2013, 10:57

Been playing around with mods and I decided to start building a mün base.

EDIT
I am impressed that I managed to land the second module so close to the first one.
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 06 Sep 2013, 06:55

I want A GPLP of KSP so they can build the moonbase :P
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Sep 2013, 10:18

What mods are you using?

I'm presently running Extraplanetary Launchpads, Kethane, Kerbal Attachment System, and Flight Engineer
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 06 Sep 2013, 11:40

Lyinginbedmon wrote:What mods are you using?

H.O.M.E
http://kerbalspaceport.com/0-18-1-h-o-m-e-start-kit/

B9 Aerospace Pack
http://kerbalspaceport.com/0-20-2-b9-aerospace-pack-r3-1/

Lazor System
http://kerbalspaceport.com/lazor-system/

And the MapSat (with the update mod that makes it work with the later ksp versions)
http://kerbalspaceport.com/isa-mapsat-3-3-4/
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Sep 2013, 17:04

After finally learning to reliably dock, I've finished my first proper space station. All stock other than (terribly placed) B9 lights, and some KAS winches on a tug hidden in the back.

I was planning to add a fuel depot as well (using the remaining big docking port), but since it's already nearing the point of serious lag when I'm near it, I've decided to leave it as is. Plus it's a bit wobbly along the main spar of the habitation module. So my current plan is to cycle the crew off it, crash the thing a few times for fun, and build a new, better, station (possibly using all the mods).

Since the LADEE launch, I've also been playing around a lot more with solid-rocket based launchers (I hadn't even touched them as boosters in ages, previously). Resulting in this 6-stage launcher to launch the Cupola/hitchhiker final module of the space station. It uses 40 large SRBs (2 stages of 16, 2 of 8), 4 short ones (5th stage), and a small liquid fuel stage with just enough to circularize a 150km orbit and then deorbit itself.

The rocket, using procedural fairings as a body:

And the rocket stack exposed, the nuclear-engine and up served as the 13.5-ton payload:

With a 377-part total, clearly liquid fuel rockets are remain superior in KSP, given the only 3 types of solid rockets we have (though perhaps I could have just strapped 250 sepatrons to the payload to get it into orbit).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 25 Sep 2013, 10:46

Nassault has done it again. (I advise avoiding comment spoilers until after you watch it.)

The camera work and the use of music in particular are the kinds of things I think any aspiring filmmaker could learn from.
rucdoc
First Video: unknown

Postby rucdoc » 17 Oct 2013, 04:42

Version 0.22.0 is out with career mode.

it's, interesting.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Oct 2013, 05:29

I'm looking forward to what the modders do with it. The Intersteller Propulsion mod had already implemented a fairly similar system, I believe, and it worked fairly well to balence the mod.

Return to “Video Games”