Kerbal Space Program

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby Hepheastus » 05 Jul 2014, 01:28

Smeghead wrote:So how did things turn out for you Hepheastus? did you manage to get there (and hopefully back)?

The NASA Mission pack DLC that Squad and NASA are doing will apparently be a free DLC that will become available shortly after the 0.24 patch (maybe)

Right yes, I actually stopped playing KSP for a long time. I returned to it yesterday and could remember none of the controls so I did a refresher mission to Minmus.

Got into orbit without problems, landing was tricky and took two attempts. I got an awesome screenshot of both mun and Kerbin from the surface (which for some reason will not show up in the post) Now I know the controls again hopefully I will be able to attempt my Duna mission
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 14 Jul 2014, 21:13

So now I have my rover on Duna. I forgot landing struts, so I had to get Archibald Kerman to walk around and repair the wheels, silly me.

Unfortunately, my samples lab is on the other side of the planet, thanks to Sod's Law

So I set off, it should only take, what? Several weeks of tension as I wrestle with the rover trying not to crash? :-)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 14 Jul 2014, 22:57

Heh, at least it isn't Eve where you have to avoid the lakes
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 14 Jul 2014, 23:07

I can't wait until I unlock all the components of the modular rover I made in sandbox. That thing was crazy stable once I'd knitted a few of it together.

Oh, also, I now need to land an escape vehicle on Duna, and for this one I'll need to set up a proper intercept so that I can get into orbit around Duna before attempting a landing, that should allow me to pick a landing site closer to the lab.
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 15 Jul 2014, 05:21

Every time i try to show my KSP screenshots they just fail to load, any help? (I'm using the Steam version of the game)

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 15 Jul 2014, 05:29

Well, I upload them to photobucket, though other image hosting services are available. If you mean for taking screenshots, I would assume you're using steam's screenshot grabber, I use Fraps, but I'd say maybe try using the print screen button (next to scroll lock, and all the other buttons no one ever uses any more) and pasting into MS Paint instead?
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 17 Jul 2014, 01:08

I'll give it a go, thanks for the advice. When I manage to get a mission running, hopefully i'll have pictures

Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 17 Jul 2014, 09:35

Well apparently KSP's going to update soon, with an economy mode, so practice now so that you know what to do when it comes along :-)
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jul 2014, 10:48

You know, I often forget that KSP is in early access, even though there are a lot of things that the game basically comes right out and tells you is missing.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 19 Jul 2014, 00:30

Yeah, early access = fun times.

For instance, my science-only game save has been mysteriously turned into a "career mode" game, so now I need to fiddle with the config file to get it back, and Kerbal Engineer's getting pissy with me about it in the vehicle building hanger.

It makes me wonder if they'll ever "finish" it or keep on tweaking the base game ad infinitum, and what state it'll be in when they declare it officially released.

I hope they add the ability to make more formal off-Kerbin bases than the current collected crashed debris system.

And currently, the career mode appears to be rather more of a punishment system for when things go wrong than an encouragement to try new stuff (like, screw up two or three rockets and you've lost, but then where's the win state?) I hope they get the balance right.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 19 Jul 2014, 13:15

I'd really like the ability to establish formal colonies, etc... on other celestial bodies.

Perhaps we could recruit Kerbal colonists that we'd need to use hitchhiker pods for, and can't operate command pods?

Kerbals to staff all the other stations, like the experiment reset lab, etc... and do science with it all in colonies. I've got so many ideas of what I'd like to see in this game, but I'm already having a ton of fun with it, for an Early Access.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 23 Jul 2014, 11:18

My rover is the dot in the middle, it's going from the dot on the left to the dot on the right
Duna has an equatorial radius of 320km

I don't want to say that driving a rover this distance has made me flippant, but... YEEEE HAW

The tyres keep popping, fortunately, the lads are pretty good at fixing them.
Hepheastus

Postby Hepheastus » 28 Jul 2014, 03:52

Just be glad Duna doesn't have anything like Olympus Mons (at least not that I've seen)

Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 28 Jul 2014, 04:10

Oh man, I made it last night! Also, I saw my electricity going down, investigated the problem and so got to watch a solar eclipse (KSP doesn't have a bit in its lighting model that allows it to simulate an eclipse... yet) I took a video, and I'll post screenshots at some point.
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 28 Jul 2014, 17:43

Today is the launch of my video tutorial series: How To Contract! in KSP 0.24. This is the followup to the surprisingly successful How To Science! videos I had up for 0.23, where the first in that series has over 11,000 views, and comes in above Scott Manley's science tutorial when you search "Kerbal Space Program Science" in YouTube. :D

Anyway, it's the same concept, building reasonable spacecraft and taking on missions that are easy to accomplish for the amount of tech and skill a player should have at that stage of the game. In this case, there's also balancing a budget to keep in mind, but just like with science, it doesn't take heroic complicated missions to keep the funds flowing!

Also, while I personally like the "chipmunk" style I've been using for my Kerbal Speed Program series, I realize it annoys some people, so I'm leaving the choice to the viewer by uploading both a "Kerbal Voice" and a "Normal" version of each episode.

Episode 1, Normal
Episode 1, Kerbal Voice
meteormade
First Video: checkpoint

Postby meteormade » 08 Aug 2014, 03:39

Jimor wrote:Today is the launch of my video tutorial series: How To Contract! in KSP 0.24. This is the followup to the surprisingly successful How To Science! videos I had up for 0.23, where the first in that series has over 11,000 views, and comes in above Scott Manley's science tutorial when you search "Kerbal Space Program Science" in YouTube. :D

<snip>

Episode 1, Normal
Episode 1, Kerbal Voice

thanks for doing this review of 0.24 there Jimor. I was just thinking of trying the new download. Your video confirmed that this contract stuff isn't for me, but that's the point, excellent video that gave me what I wanted to know, and saved me heaps of time. Cheers ears.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully pleased to see KSP growing in this way and assume there's lots of players and maybe players that this is good for. As long as my sandbox stays the same or grows (love the new big gear aye?) and the mod community is cracking, then I'm a happy bunny.

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 18 Oct 2014, 07:04

I finally made a landing on another body. First the Mun, then Minmus.

And as usual for me the lander is way over engineered and over fueled. Also, thank gluxs for MechJeb.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 18 Oct 2014, 12:54

Nice!

I'm gonna have to restart my game or retrieve my save from my old PC at some point. The Hankering grows...
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 20 Oct 2014, 13:19

Duna solar(Kerbolar?) eclipse
Collapsed as large

They managed to make the solar panels not work, but didn't have the world fall into shadow, as that would have presumably required some fancy shading. Either that, or my graphical settings were to low to show it; still looks quite pretty.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 21 Oct 2014, 02:38

Nice eclipse.

I really wanna start ksp again, but I also wanna use the updated interstellar mod, but sadly it is kind of broken right now because of another mod that it is dependent upon haven't updated in a long while
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Oct 2014, 08:29

Didn't somebody make a fix for that on the forums?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 21 Oct 2014, 22:10

Yeah but I think it meant that it would use the regular tech tree and just insert the new stuff in the normal tech nodes
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 06 Nov 2014, 14:32

So I got the Demo today and I'm really enjoying it.

Managed to get a Kerbel in space for two days, reaching a max altitude of 27million, and managed to land safely back on Kerbel.

Feeling pretty proud of myself.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Nov 2014, 16:03

Something that may be of interest to people here is KSP History.
A guy is recreating significant historical space launches in Kerbal Space Program, using primarily stock parts (and a few functional mods) to reproduce the actual rockets as closely as possible.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 08 Nov 2014, 22:18

Lemon; that's pretty much the feeling you get when you manage to land on a moon/planet as well

Return to “Video Games”