Kerbal Space Program

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby Smeghead » 10 Mar 2014, 05:20

So how did things turn out for you Hepheastus? did you manage to get there (and hopefully back)?

The NASA Mission pack DLC that Squad and NASA are doing will apparently be a free DLC that will become available shortly after the 0.24 patch (maybe)
FourEyedTroll
First Video: Echo

Postby FourEyedTroll » 05 Apr 2014, 13:22

So, the Asteroid Capture NASA pack has been released. Who's up for building an asteroid ring-system?
The Old Ludensian

This Interweb is pretty nifty, eh?

Aka: Osprey or OspreyGBR, mostly in the world of PC Gaming.
MtG: Mono-Black Infect. Hand of the Praetors FTW!

LRRCraft Server Link: lrrmc.dahou.se
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 06 Apr 2014, 14:03

I've recently started playing through Career. It is nice to have some restrictions and formalized goals. I just finished my first proper landing and retrival from Mun. It took probably a bit too long, I kept forgetting important parts and figuring out docking was rough and I probably could work on finding a more efficient means of interception, but overall it went well enough: I didn't even have to force my Kerbalnauts to jump out at the last second to avoid dying in a giant explosion!
and now; back to me.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 06 Apr 2014, 16:12

Oh man, my Mun lander fell over, so I disabled two of the four radial engines to fire only the bottom two, which got it upright and skimming about a gnat's nadger off the surface of the Mun, moving laterally, I re-enabled the two engines so all four were working, fired myself at the sky and just ran out of fuel as I achieved orbit (periapsis at about 11k) I slung a new rocket together with an extra empty command module, sent it into orbit around the Mun and lined it up with the stranded module. I then realised I had it the wrong way around (one going clockwise, one anti) so I about-faced at the apoapsis, lined it back up and got my Kerbal on the stranded rocket to gather up all the collected science and jump 7 kilometres to the rescue rocket, which had fuel to spare to get back to Kerbal.

And it only took me, like 5-10 game loads (mainly the Mun landing and fancy escape, the space jump was 1st try, once I'd lined it up)

Makes me almost wish I'd filmed it, and now it's 1am. KSP keeps doing this to me.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 06 Apr 2014, 16:43

An entry-level Mun landing doesn't require any docking, you can land and return to kerbin with a single command/lander module stage. I've only ever played career mode, and you very quickly work out how to do things the most efficient way, so many designs I see from sandbax carry extra weight for the sake of extra weight it seems (no appreciable benefit to having a bigger rocket than the bare minimum required).

Sounds like a bit of a caper Ptang, I've had more than a couple of times when a lander has toppled and ruined the mission in the last stage of descent, sometimes it's through poor landing site choice, others it's through forgetting to keep SAS and RCS active on final 50m to touchdown to control landing attitude.
The Old Ludensian

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 07 Apr 2014, 00:24

If I crash a craft on the Mün (I've never crashed on Minmus), and the kerbal survives. I always send a rescue craft. Although it has happened at least once that the rescue craft also ends up crashing. So then I have 2 kerbals stranded on the Mün that needs rescue
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 07 Apr 2014, 01:05

Yeah, I was trying to land on a slope, on the fourth attempt where the thing fell over in the same manner, I just accepted it. I didn't have the fuel to choose another site.
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 07 Apr 2014, 02:29

Yeah, reserve fuel is usually a bad idea anyway as it means additional weight. That said, it makes my strategy all the more risky that I went to the game's persistency file and disabled quick saves, quick loads, flight reverts and crew respawning. You very quickly leanr to make a safe and effective space programme when killing a Kerbal is permanent and irreversible.

My advice for rescue ships is put an OKTO-2 probe core above the command pod and below the Mk1 Parachute (I assume this is what you're using anyway) and launch it unmanned.
The Old Ludensian

Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 12 Apr 2014, 05:24

I tend towards the policy of strapping extra rockets to it until I can get whatever payload into orbit, requiring reloads when I realise I have my stage detachment sequence wrong or my structural integrity is lacking(the explosions are my clue). I don't normally bother carefully analysing delta V etc.

This necessitates reloads. Also, it is the reason I name my rockets on a [target]Puncher basis. I currently have DunaPuncher1 and 2 looking for good orbit intercepts, and a prototype unmanned probe on Duna's surface, except that I'm at work and so nowhere near Steam.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 19 Apr 2014, 20:55

So, I've been building a space station (and practicing docking. I still suck at it)
I built this
(I am using mods yes)

Unfortunately, the part with the 4 engines in the lower part of the station were not suppose to be there. that was just the delivery system for the science wing, but... well I forgot a decoupeler and didn't notice it until it was too late.
Also the station is slowly overheating and will have to be abandoned sooner or later before its reactor goes critical

Also, I used a mod that lets you scan a planet from orbit, and this is what Kerbin looks like
Take note of the thing in the sea. meaning that a developer made that and no one would ever have seen it if this mod hadn't picked it up
FourEyedTroll

Postby FourEyedTroll » 22 Apr 2014, 01:04

Good work. Once you get docking down, you've overcome what is probably the hardest technical challenge in the game. It also unlocks the way to manned missions to other planets, as you can land separate landers without having to lift the return fuel and engines on the same craft.
The Old Ludensian

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 22 Apr 2014, 04:20

I did a mission to one of the solid planets outside of Duna, and I had a big ship in orbit while the lander made its way down to the planet. However upon trying to get back up and dock with the mother ship I noticed a horrible error; where the docking port on the lander was pointing the same way as it's engines. Took me an hour to dock that thing.
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 10 May 2014, 17:51

I started a regular let's play video series in KSP. The goal is to eventually put an asteroid in orbit around each of the planets and moons to use as an attachment point for bases. But I think the main draw is that I'm speeding up the footage to 150%, including my voice, which may be either very amusing, or very annoying! Also, may I recommend turning on automatic captions as it tries to keep up with me.

Episode 1: Sweet Helium
Episode 2: To Orbit and Beyond?

I'm also attempting to regularize the schedule of my YouTube channel, so the KSP series will update at 3pm Eastern, 12pm Pacific on Wed and Sat, with 2 Minecraft series being posted on Mon/Thu (vanilla), and Tue/Fri (modded). With the pleasant surprise of the success of the tutorial series (episode #1 is the highest ranking video for the YouTube search "kerbal space program science" right now!), I figured I'd give it a go of making the channel in general a bit of a thing. :)
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 02 Jun 2014, 21:27

Just updating with further episodes in my series. I've managed to keep up with my twice weekly schedule for 4 weeks now!

Episode 3: Fly Me To The Mun
Episode 4: Mun Lander
Episode 5: Mun Station
Episode 6: Fuel Mun
Episode 7: Mun Frenzy Pt 1
Episode 8: Mun Frenzy Pt 2

As you can see, a lot of the early days have been spent getting science points from Mun. 2 more episodes to go in that endeavor, then I'll have enough parts unlocked to make my first asteroid intercept mission.

In part 2 of Mun Frenzy, I pick the lazy way of summarizing the previous episode by simply playing back the entire thing... at 60x speed. :shock:
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 17 Jun 2014, 20:31

Well, I've been playing KSP career mode, trying to land on the Mun without any help from guides. I've now gotten to the point where I can consistently orbit the Mun, but I never feel confident in my fuel levels to land.

And to think, some people can make it to Minmus and back with tier 1 gear.

I wish there was an easily accessible key bindings menu from in-game. Maybe I should do some more of the scenarios, or actually try practicing in sandbox mode.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 17 Jun 2014, 23:36

Yeah the game needs a key-binding menu.
Also, while I don't have a problem with going to the moons and even other planets; going beyond Kerbin with tier 1 stuff is way too hard for me.

I would suggest going to Minmus first though; with its low gravity and flat surfaces it is much easier to land on then mün
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jun 2014, 00:06

Maybe, but I think I'll want more efficient engines unlocked before I try going farther than the Mun, Even if it is only Minmus. I'm pretty much always down to a single tank of liquid fuel, and it's normally only at 75% or so fuel level once I get to Mun orbit. (Around 90 units or so? I use the most efficient engine I have unlocked once I get out to space; the little dinky one.)
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 18 Jun 2014, 11:28

Since you have moved all that mass out to orbit already, you'd be surprised how much you can do with 90 units of fuel.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Jun 2014, 11:54

Minmus only requires ~100m/s more delta-v than it takes to get to the Mun, and it takes less fuel to land/take off from (and big flat spaces make landing much easier). So it's worth attempting even if you haven't landed on the Mun yet.

If you aren't using Kerbal Engineer yet, I highly recommend it. It automatically calculates the thrust, mass, and delta-v of each stage for you (and there are charts out there that give you an idea of how much delta-v you need). This will give you a better idea while your building your ship if it can do what you want, and how to improve the design.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jun 2014, 14:06

Yeah, so far, I've been playing only vanilla with minimal wiki assistance. After all, it's only rocket science, how hard can it be? :P

Hey! I've crashed on the Mun once now...

Also, just discovered how ridiculously overpowered struts are. What's this? Stable launches?!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Jun 2014, 16:38

Oh yeah, spam struts elsewhere. Despite what the description says, they don't actually have any mass (or any physics interaction at all). Struts and boosters -> keep adding them until you're at your destination.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 19 Jun 2014, 02:27

I think I'm gonna have my first successful Mun landing, over 200 fuel to spare!

Also, so glad a packed a solar panel. I... may have time warped and forgot the lights on, which may have left me without power for a while on the dark side of the Mun.

Also, Wee!~ RCS thrusters!

Edit: I did it! RCS thrusters saved the landing from the disaster known as "being sideways" :P

Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 19 Jun 2014, 23:14

Nice! Now do Science to it
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 20 Jun 2014, 06:14

I did about 300 science to it :P
Jimor

Postby Jimor » 03 Jul 2014, 16:01

Normally, I try to build practical ships, and even if they get a bit out of hand with complications and explosiveness from time to time, I don't do over-the-top like I've seen in so many videos.

However, I got this idea. An orange tank, with 6 of the standard radial engines, that have a combined 720 thrust compared to the Skipper with 650. Easily enough to lift that tank. Now, with the radial engines, I can stick another orange tank with its own set of engines directly beneath it, feed the fuel upward, and get a nice asparagus staging effect without the bulkiness. Add another, and I have enough delta-V to get into orbit. Add another, and... well, let's just say that after I thoroughly abuse the height limit of the VAB, I end up with this:

13 orange tanks stacked on top of each other, and not a strut in sight. It flies like a wet noodle, but it is, ironically, the most forgiving space ship I've ever launched. 3 or 4 stages spontaneously explode and detach themselves? No problem! I've been flat sidewise, falling out of the sky 1000 meters above the ocean and still made it to orbit, usually with at least a full orange tank of fuel left.

Here is video of the building process and a sample flight, which was relatively uneventful with only 2 tanks exploding off of the bottom of the ship early in the flight.

Return to “Video Games”