A Moment of Silence for LucasArts

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

A Moment of Silence for LucasArts

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Apr 2013, 10:08

LucasArts is no more. Disney has disbanded the company to work on license prodcuts.
*Bows head in a minute silence*

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/disney-k ... ts/0113508
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: A Moment of Silence for LucasArts

Postby Kapol » 03 Apr 2013, 10:15

While this might not be good for the projects or the team, could it possibly be good for the other franchises Lucasarts owns? I'm thinking along the lines of Grim Fandango. It says Disney plans on licensing the Star Wars games, so I'm thinking that they might be willing to license other games as well that they might not have chosen to work on themselves.
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 03 Apr 2013, 11:04

Take me now God. First Pandemic and whoever made the first pokemon games. *Huddles in a corner sucking his thumb. No more lego video games? No not Disney lego video games.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 03 Apr 2013, 13:18

DSmaster21 wrote:Take me now God. First Pandemic and whoever made the first pokemon games. *Huddles in a corner sucking his thumb. No more lego video games? No not Disney lego video games.

Too late. There's already Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 Apr 2013, 14:22

Let's be brutally honest here: this wasn't murder - not striking down a vital and active person...this was palliative euthanasia - the turning off of the nearly-dead's life support.

It's been a LONG time since Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, or even Jedi Academy(Jedi Outcast 2{Jedi Knight 3<Dark Forces 4>}).

A lot of LucasArts' recent fare has been...less than stellar. So this is less an injustice, and more a (literal) tragedy.

I *am* disappointed at 1313 ending up stillborn, tho. :(

Now, instead of assuming that most of the output of LucasArts is going to tank (TFU vs. LSW), we can look forward to an utterly random crapshoot of what company licenses which property to maybe make a great game, or maybe just cheapen the property with a blatantly half-hearted moneygrab.

...so in other words, things are looking up!

(P.S. you might wanna snap up ANYTHING in the bargain bin by LucasArts - might well become collectible from its subsequent rarity. ;) )
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 03 Apr 2013, 14:34

DSmaster21 wrote: whoever made the first pokemon games.
Game Freak is still around and making Pokemon games
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 03 Apr 2013, 15:20

I'm to lazy to find a picture but just imagine Darth Vader screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 03 Apr 2013, 19:28

empath wrote:Let's be brutally honest here: this wasn't murder - not striking down a vital and active person...this was palliative euthanasia - the turning off of the nearly-dead's life support.

SIGNED.

(And no, I didn't forget to turn off capslock from the Mafia signup thread; I just really emphatically agree with this.)
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Postby Lysander » 03 Apr 2013, 19:51

Pulling the plug seemed a bit extreme. Taking them by the shoulders and giving them a good shake I would have preferred. Get someone over there to remind the folks of the games they used to make. Oh well -- I hope those who lost their jobs will land on their feet.

I'm not sorry to see 1313 go. While the plot ideas and concept art where interesting, the cover-based shooting and iron-sights aiming left me depressed and annoyed. I think it might have been better as an adventure game, with action elements.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Apr 2013, 08:09

Raven and Activision have released the source code of Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy.

http://kotaku.com/lucasarts-closure-con ... -468994505
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Apr 2013, 08:31

Well, isn't this awesome news.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 04 Apr 2013, 10:06

KiteNeravar wrote:
DSmaster21 wrote: whoever made the first pokemon games.
Game Freak is still around and making Pokemon games

I know but the old ones are still better though the side games are sometimes good. Ie the mystery dungeon series.

Kite, to respond better my opinion is that the new games are not as good and I believe that Game Freak has new members. As I don't know them personally for all I know the group has changed and this is why the games are no longer as difficult or the creatures as sharp.

See I don't know the ins and outs of video games I only play them. To me the fact that Pandemic disappeared on my younger less connected self and then there were no more Star Wars Battlefront Games was obviously connected. LucasArts may not do much but they are on some of my games so I worry.
Last edited by DSmaster21 on 04 Apr 2013, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 04 Apr 2013, 11:08

i will always treasure lucasarts for the stellar jedi knight games. jedi academy is still the king when it comes to combat in a SW game imo.
i didnt have a pc growing up so unfortunately i missed the likes of monkey island and grim fandango.

hopefully disney do something positive now
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 04 Apr 2013, 11:18

Personally I find it a bit amusing how many people on sites such as reddit freaking out about how they'll never get sequels to externally developed Star Wars games (KoToR, Battlefront, Rogue Squadron, etc) now that Lucasarts has shifted to only doing externally developed Star Wars Games.

There is a reason why this happened, and it has nothing to do with Disney being greedy. The fact is the last notable game to come out of the internal studios was probably Republic Commando in 2005. The internal studios were a bit of a financial black hole, something that Lucasarts should have shut down even if they hadn't been taken over by Disney.
and now; back to me.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 04 Apr 2013, 11:49

Lysander wrote:Pulling the plug seemed a bit extreme. Taking them by the shoulders and giving them a good shake I would have preferred. Get someone over there to remind the folks of the games they used to make.

Used to make? Sure, they USED to make awesome adventure games...back when Tim Schafer was still working for them.

But that was WAAY in the past, and Tim's LONG gone and never coming back; "to everything there is a season"

In short,

(never thought I'd use that one in THIS context...)
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 06 Apr 2013, 12:09

I'm kind of sad, since they produced more of my favorite N64, GCN, and original Xbox games than any other dev, but their work in this console generation has been pretty sub-par.

Heck, this will probably be a good thing for some of the franchises they hold, I don't think it'll be too long before Disney starts hiring outside studios to make new Star Wars/Indy/Monkey Island/etc titles.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Jun 2013, 12:53

It's as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Elcarsh
First Video: The Unskippable/ZP crossover!

Postby Elcarsh » 19 Jun 2013, 13:05

From the perspective of a Star Wars fan, I can't say this is much of a tragedy. After all, what did they have to do with the actual making of the greatest Star Wars titles?

The X-Wing games were all made by Totally Games, Jedi Outcast and Academy were made by Raven Software and the LEGO Star Wars games were made by Traveler's Tales. Bioware made KotOR and SWTOR, and KotOR II was made by Obsidian.

Really, I have neither good nor bad things to say about Lucasarts itself. One tends to think of them in regards to all the games that they stamped their name on, but when it comes down to it they weren't responsible for making them.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 20 Jun 2013, 13:34

DICE is making a new Battlefront. The torch has been passed and I am now more excited for a Star Wars title than I have been in years!
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."

Return to “Video Games”