The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Sep 2013, 13:47

I am a natural perfectionist in a lot of things, but after a while I realised there was absolutely no point in applying it to videogames. The fun of gaming rarely comes from achievements, but from simply experiencing the gameplay and story the game has to offer; getting all the collectables or whatever is just more trouble than it's worth.

Having said that, I actually like the AC optional objectives system. It is unnecessary in a lot of cases and frustrating in others which is why I don't 100% it, but I like the way it encourages you to experiment with ways of doing things or to really push you. A favourite bit is one of the dungeons in AC:R, in which you're basically going back and forth across a cliff in one glorious extended free-run section; and if you really push it, you can just make the 16 minute (I think; it might be 8) time limit they set for 100% completion. That objective made you run through it at speed, exactly what's so fun about AC games, and basically forced you to enjoy it.

Unfortunately, that was the only really, really fun bit in the entirety of that game.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Sep 2013, 23:21

World of Warcraft I've gone from wanting to 100% to cbaing.

In the latest expansion, there are still factions I am not exalted with, because I can't be arsed. Only benefit I get is an achievement. My gear is too good to make use of the process.

I need a good incentive to 100% an aspect.
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby empath » 05 Sep 2013, 02:17

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Some games you can't 100% without GOING INSANE FROM BOREDOM. You can't 100% Kingdoms of Amular or The Elder Scrolls (as examples; two different reasons).


...actually, I've '100%'ed both Morrowind and Oblivion (the vanilla games, I never did finish Tribunal, or Shivering Isles), and Fallout 3 AND all its DLC.

But according to Steam I've played FO3 for 533 hours so per your statement there my sanity might be in question...my F:NV playthrough is getting close to 400 hours, so far...and I'd been doing that on-and-off for just shy of two years, now.

So yeah, your premise kinda holds, depending on your definition of "insane." ;)
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Sep 2013, 08:37

Different topic.

Why isn't Pokemon Y released yet? I want it now.
User avatar
EikoandMog
Posts: 1134
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 15:31
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: NSW, Australia.

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby EikoandMog » 06 Sep 2013, 05:18

Because they're still hyping us up for it and likely, doing bugfixes at this stage.

After having a group in FF14 that was actually a pleasure to play against, I have to wonder... just how bad were the last groups I had? Further with that, good god leveling crafting and gathering in that game is a colossal pain in the ass.
Image
User avatar
Mara Kalat
Posts: 600
Joined: 03 Aug 2012, 04:44
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)
Location: Berlin

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Mara Kalat » 06 Sep 2013, 06:43

Levelling, crafting and gathering? That sounds like 80% of the game...
I take it the full relaunch didn't do it a world of good then?

Mara.
Image

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
User avatar
EikoandMog
Posts: 1134
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 15:31
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: NSW, Australia.

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby EikoandMog » 06 Sep 2013, 12:42

I'm saying that leveling crafting and gathering in particular is tedious.

The relaunch really did fix a lot. It's a fun game now, I wouldn't have gotten to level 39 in Lancer/Dragoon by now if it wasn't.
Image
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Sep 2013, 12:55

Creative Assembly are awesome. Extra Credits were already awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBHk_zLTmY
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7343
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Sep 2013, 13:38

Oh sweet. :) I love that.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Sep 2013, 14:58

Finished my second play through of Dragon Age 2 (took me over 2 years to want to try again).

I've worked out one reason why Dragon Age 2 isn't amazing.

The ending.

Aside from your choices feeling pointless and raily, the ending has one issue. It's a grim and accomplished ending. It summarises' Hawke's story.

Hawke fucks around Kirkwall for eight/ten years
He has triggered events for the next game. Dragon Age 2 was basically a prelude to Dragon Age Inquisition only.

Golden Sun GBA series was 1 quest split across two games. The reason this worked better than DA2, was that at least you as a player felt like they achieved something meaningful, even if their quest was paused. It's not helped with Origins that the player stops the blight.

You have Anders committing an act of terrorism, which kinda makes sense, but still is out of character (even if he is having that "corrupted by vengeance/justice" character-arc thing going on).

There are other problems with DA2, which has been talked to death about. But the thing is, even if you make it to the end through the problems, you get no personal-story payoff. Except for riding off into the wilds with your sexy time partner. Why couldn't Hawke and Anders just move out of Kirkwall without having to cause the Civil war?
-
Ability bloat annoyed me. I got to the near end of the game where I got my key abilities and I was just shoving points anywhere (and it wasn't exciting). Anything amazing looking I was doubtful I'd have enough points to ever get it.
User avatar
JackSlack
Posts: 4572
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 19:46
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby JackSlack » 06 Sep 2013, 19:53

Merrymaker Mortalis wrote:You have Anders committing an act of terrorism, which kinda makes sense, but still is out of character (even if he is having that "corrupted by vengeance/justice" character-arc thing going on).


FWIW, I found that better on second playthroughs. They actually foreshadow the living crap out of it.

My vent: I keep dying in Minecraft on hardcore mode right as I get going! Stupid skeleton archers.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Kapol » 06 Sep 2013, 20:22

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote: The reason this worked better than DA2, was that at least you as a player felt like they achieved something meaningful, even if their quest was paused.


Because that worked so well for the Mass Effect series. :P
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Sep 2013, 23:28

Kapol wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote: The reason this worked better than DA2, was that at least you as a player felt like they achieved something meaningful, even if their quest was paused.


Because that worked so well for the Mass Effect series. :P


I thought Mass Effect 2 story-line wise was more 'satisfying'. It was technically a game where the storyline was 'side missions'. But you do end the Collector threat at the end.
I think a draw back of Dragon Age 2 was the plot was very much political despite having action combat. Perhaps the tone of the over-arcing story wasn't suitable.
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby empath » 07 Sep 2013, 16:39

Image

Image
Last edited by empath on 07 Sep 2013, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Valkyrie-Lemons
Posts: 1204
Joined: 23 Nov 2012, 09:09
First Video: Spoken Word
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 07 Sep 2013, 16:51

What I disliked about the DA2 ending was simply I really disliked Anders. When he did what he did, I didn't know why I was helping him out. If I has any possible choice, I'd would have turned him in straight away.

If the game didn't have any sort of choice system, I wouldn't have minded that much, but the fact it takes the choice out of your hands and doesn't even give you an option, just annoyed me.

DA2 in all wasn't a good game so the ending didn't spoil it totally. Unlike in ME3, which I'm not going to mention, because we've all heard it before.

Actually, I didn't 'hate' the ending of ME3 like some people do, I was just really disappointed in the direction it took. In short, I think the ending would have been much better if you always lost no matter what (Going on the theme of trying to defy fate, the purpose of living, the futility of evading death/the Reapers and the inevitable end). I really believe that if Bioware had done something like this then it would have done so much to establish games as art thing.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?


I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 Sep 2013, 00:31

My complaint about the ending of Dragon Age 2 was based on the characterisation was really good in the game (even if both romanceable male options were depressed). Playing through it you'd feel like at least you can get something worth-while at the end. Meh, at least you get an epilogue (unlike ME3).
Hawke just feels like he reacts to things in DA2 and ever initiated anything.
As you said, the illusion of choice is probably 1 reason to this. You could be very careful and "try to defuse" situations, but they all end the same way. Dragon Age 2 possibly could have been a better game if no one were allowed to share "their own personal stories". Because then at least you'd feel like your out comes were as a result of what you did.

For example, I would like to think that during the mission where your mother is kidnapped, I would have thought "I wish I killed the suspect all those years ago". A feeling of consequence for choices.

Nothing you do in DA2 feels like it has lasting impact (in less it involves a companion). This would work in ME3 since you're going up against immense odds and you're meant to fail. In DA2, there is no themes about fate. Hell, Varric speaks as open endedly as he can in the cut-scenes.

I don't think Bioware can make a game that is worse than Dragon Age 2.

Dragon Age 2 does feel like it was commissioned by EA. And Bioware made a game that they could use to "set up" the next game (which they actually wanted to make) without making a game with too many variable outcomes. I think that explains the linearity of the game, and the fact the plot has 3 distinct acts set in the same city. To give an illusion of size in a compact area. I did find, that even though there was a lot of game-content in DA2, the fact you were restricted to such few environments made the game feel a lot smaller than it was. Also made it harder to remember things, because events in the same environment sort of 'melted together'.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Kapol » 08 Sep 2013, 01:11

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I thought Mass Effect 2 story-line wise was more 'satisfying'. It was technically a game where the storyline was 'side missions'. But you do end the Collector threat at the end.
I think a draw back of Dragon Age 2 was the plot was very much political despite having action combat. Perhaps the tone of the over-arcing story wasn't suitable.


Honestly, I think that all of the Mass Effect endings are kinda garbage. They all rely on the sense that something bigger is being set up. Yes, you end the collector threat. But they aren't the major threat. It all leads up to the reapers. And while I loved 3, the disappointing ending leads to a wholly unsatisfying conclusion to the series. A conclusion which, at least in my opinion, brings down the rest of the games endings due to the buildup being for basically nothing.
User avatar
JackSlack
Posts: 4572
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 19:46
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby JackSlack » 08 Sep 2013, 01:17

I thought the first game's ending was pretty good. :)
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Sep 2013, 01:21

JackSlack wrote:I thought the first game's ending was pretty good. :)

Story-wise, yes, but having to start that entire ****ing long fight with Saren every time you die got really, really annoying if you could only use pistols.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Kapol » 08 Sep 2013, 01:31

JackSlack wrote:I thought the first game's ending was pretty good. :)


It was likely the best of the series, but it still boiled down to 'The Reapers are coming and we've got to prepare.'

I've mentioned before that ME3's ending didn't bother me as much as a lot of people. That's still true, but it really makes the other games' endings feel... really pretty unimpressive. What Merry mentioned made me think that there was the suggestion should have been done for DA2. And, frankly, I think it would have ended the same way.

I love Bioware. I think they're the best company out there at the moment for making active, engaging worlds where it feels like your choices really matter. But I don't think they have any idea on how to actually make said worlds 'end' so to speak.
User avatar
JackSlack
Posts: 4572
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 19:46
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby JackSlack » 08 Sep 2013, 22:04

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Story-wise, yes, but having to start that entire ****ing long fight with Saren every time you die got really, really annoying if you could only use pistols.


I never found that fight hard, actually! Good overload and sabotage really obliterates him.
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Sep 2013, 23:32

JackSlack wrote:
My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Story-wise, yes, but having to start that entire ****ing long fight with Saren every time you die got really, really annoying if you could only use pistols.


I never found that fight hard, actually! Good overload and sabotage really obliterates him.

Really? I had both, neither of them worked on him.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
JackSlack
Posts: 4572
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 19:46
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby JackSlack » 08 Sep 2013, 23:45

It's all about timing and pattern recognition. When he hits the walls and sticks, he's ramping up to shoot you. Sabotage him. Also, if you have any biotics with you, use stuff like lift or singularity to limit his movement options.
User avatar
Darkobra
Posts: 5343
Joined: 27 Jul 2007, 14:49
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis
Location: Scotland

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Darkobra » 09 Sep 2013, 02:19

I just shot him in the face with the best sniper rifle in the game a few times.

Speaking of. I gotta finish The Witcher series and get my Mass Effect 1 and 2 saves back so I can START the third. That's fun for the ninth time.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
User avatar
Hepheastus
Posts: 1288
Joined: 18 Aug 2013, 13:10
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet
Location: Looking up every other word you say (UK)

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Hepheastus » 09 Sep 2013, 03:20

So yesterday I was in the mood for a change so I decided to continue my Skyrim save. I hadn't played it in ages and I couldn't remember why I stopped playing it. Then I remembered, when I last patched the game it had an interesting bug, if the camera ever touched water, the game froze. I decided to try and fix this so i deleted the patch info then re downloaded it. Success, I can swim to my hearts content. So happy was I about fixing this annoying bug I decided to return to my home at Lakeview Manor and go swimming. But lakeview manor wasn't there because deleting the patch info somehow deleted my DLC data as well. FUCK So my characters family including his two children just disappeared, they don't exist. My house which I went to painstaking lengths to fully furnish, taking no shortcuts, doesn't exist (Collecting slaughterfish scales when you can't swim is a real challenge) Seven suits of Armour, including Daedric artifacts and unique quest rewards, don't exist. All my stored loot including all my dragon bones and scales and all my stolen goods i need to fence, don't exist. Excuse me while I go scream incoherently at Bethesda for a while
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder

Return to “Video Games”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests