The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby empath » 09 Aug 2013, 14:44

What, a Slaughterfish? Ugh, my sympathies.

Hell, I got the GOTY with Tribunal & Bloodmoon, and I found about half the time I rested, I'd be ambushed by Brotherhood assassins who were level-scaled; after maybe a week or two of sparring with mudcrabs and fiddling around Seyda Neen, I had a pretty good loadout. :)

But even when I got up around lvl 40 or so, and had a pack full of unique artifacts, I'd stay out of the deep water if I could, because Slaughterfish were STILL a pain in the ass to deal with (less annoying as Cliff Racers, but more hassle)

...oooo, Cliff Racers...maybe I won't go back to Vvardenfell... ;)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Aug 2013, 11:01

Turns out I shouldn't play DC Universe Online close to the time I go to bed.
It causes me to have weird semi-dreams when I am drifting off to sleep. I get stuck in limbo between asleep and awake and all I see is gameplay of DCUO and I get a feeling of immense dread and nausea. It's like I get really into the game and my mind is still engaged even when I am drifting asleep.
empath

Postby empath » 11 Aug 2013, 12:04

GODFUCKINGDAMMITBOONE!!!

You're a sniper; you KNOW this shit.

So why - when I haul out my silenced sniper rifle to pop off a clot of geckos off beyond V.A.T.S. range - do I fire a single shot, then hear you snarl and see your hunting rifle's rusty-ass barrel IN MY SCOPE, followed BY YOUR SHOULDER as you shuffle around me?!?

GET.

THE.

FUCK.

OUT.

OF.

MY.

FIRING LINE!!!!!!!!

Christ on a crutch, I've killed you three different times, but you wouldn't know that because I've retconned my justifiable rage at your intolerable distraction WHILE I'M WORKING!!!

And for that matter, do you even know what "Passive Mode" or "Keep your distance" or "BACK THE FUCK UP, NECK-BREATHER" mean???

I swear, I was putting off going to Bitter Springs to avoid ticking off Caesar, but I think I'd rather deal with daily donations of Legion armor & weapons than your clingy annoyance any longer; then I'm planting your ass in Dinky's mouth back in Novac and WE ARE THROUGH!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 11 Aug 2013, 13:23

I'm not sure what made me laugh more. The fact that I can actually relate to that or calling Boone a neck-breather.

I take great pride in my sniping abilities so I was eager to have Boone snipe with me. MY GOD! He might as well rush in naked with a knife! I'd at least RESPECT him then!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2013, 17:58

I've gotten back into Fire Emblem: Awakening. Here's a tip for anyone getting frustrated like me if it's your first time playing: upgrade your units with the master and second seals. I didn't realize this was a good idea until chapter 12, up until which I'd only had my character upgraded and had been avoiding using the knight guy from the beginning. The reason he's so strong, for those who don't know, is because he's an advanced class.

But on to the real vent. one of the most annoying mechanics in the game is, in my opinion, the reinforcements that the enemies can get. this wouldn't be such a problem if they had a turn where they showed up without attacking. But no, they pop onto the screen and can instantly move/attack... meaning that they often can kill off at least one of your units if you're anywhere nearby. It's incredibly frustrating to be doing very well just to have a bunch of guys spawn and kill you.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Aug 2013, 01:08

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Turns out I shouldn't play DC Universe Online close to the time I go to bed.
It causes me to have weird semi-dreams when I am drifting off to sleep. I get stuck in limbo between asleep and awake and all I see is gameplay of DCUO and I get a feeling of immense dread and nausea. It's like I get really into the game and my mind is still engaged even when I am drifting asleep.

Turns out I simply can't get too hot when going to sleep.
DCUO is unrelated. It's only the thing I hallucinate about, but not any cause. Still not a good idea though to play a high intense action game before sleep though.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Aug 2013, 03:21

Darkobra wrote:And after I beat The Witcher, I have to try to plow through the starting of Morrowind to see where this good part is that people love so much. The combat is just so bad at the beginning. I imagine it becomes much better later on but I struggled to kill a fish with an iron dagger!

Hell, I modded it enough. Might as well give it a thousandth try.

I know I'm a week late but I just wanted to say THIS. OH SO VERY MUCH THIS.

I can understand the game probably makes a roll on your skill to determine if you hit the enemy in front of you and I'm fine with that, but do not show me CONSTANTLY PUTTING MY SPEAR THROUGH THE ENEMY'S FACE AND OUT THE OTHER SIDE if the roll fails. It sends out entirely the wrong messages.

I'm trying to love the game and I want to love the game but it's not easy. I'll probably go back to it soon and try again but I'm not hopeful.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Aug 2013, 13:18

That time when (almost) everyone on your Steam friends list is playing the same game.
Much feels of loneliness and leftoutness.
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 24 Aug 2013, 03:18

So, I played a 2 colour deck in MTGO for a RTR block draft.

Think I could draw an island in the last game?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Aug 2013, 17:17

You know what seems like really good idea? Let's put motion controls on the portable system that has stereoscopic 3D! What could possible go wrong!?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Aug 2013, 04:56

I'm in a dilema with Diablo 3.
I don't know which class to play. I mean play at end game. Farming for loot.

My issue is that I like to be efficient, which means I take care to research theorycraft about builds and classes on the interwebs. Which means I find it hard to ignore, facts about certain classes being weaker than others. I do enjoy being unique, but only if the unique aspect is appeal and is functional.

I enjoy my Demon Hunter in levelling content, but commonly held opinion is that the Demon Hunter is in a bad place due to game mechanics. It's a kiting class in a game that encourages a 'tanking' playstyle at high levels of play. It also has illogical resource costs or cooldowns. Or in sufficient skill slots (the class taxed the most by limited skill slots).

Wizard seems fine. Perma-Archon build punishes you for 'being disctracted' by detsructable gold yielding barrels or IDing loot. I'm a magpie, I must pick everything up. It took me a long time to stop picking up whites. It's going to be hard to ignore blues.

WD's low gear and MP build encourages you to move very fast a lot. It's an intense speed build. Uses Zombie Bears which always wrecks mana use. High gear and MP build is a intense AoE build which appeals (I love close-quaters AoE caster classes), but the radius is very small. The build also actively uses the majority of 4 abilities to maintain mana levels.

So I am at a loss of what to play. Perhaps the best answer is to play all 3 and not worry about a 'main'.

Anyone here still plays Diablo 3? Or started again like me? Would be nice to have another Battlenet friend to play/talk with.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Aug 2013, 11:22

I'm thinking of starting up Diablo III again, see if they've fixed things up any. Depends on if I can carve out more time from the day to focus on it though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 04 Sep 2013, 00:46

This is less a game vent, and more of a Steam/mestupid vent. I was looking through my Steam list of games for Rogue Legacy. while I was looking, I noticed I own Rayman Origins. I had no idea that I own said game until seeing it. I don't remember buying it. But... I guess I must have? Stupid sales.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 04 Sep 2013, 03:34

That pretty much describes 70-80% of my games list. Now, when I hear good things about a game my first thought isn't "I wonder if I should buy it" it's "I wonder if I already own it".

Quick vent about Assassin's Creed: GO AWAY! I HAVE NO MONEY TO GIVE YOU! AND EVEN IF I DID I HAVE NO BUTTON TO PRESS TO GIVE IT TO YOU! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE BEFORE I ACCIDENTALLY FORGET I HAVE MY BLADE ENABLED AND STAB YOU IN THE NECK!

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Sep 2013, 04:18

Geoff_B wrote:That pretty much describes 70-80% of my games list. Now, when I hear good things about a game my first thought isn't "I wonder if I should buy it" it's "I wonder if I already own it".

Quick vent about Assassin's Creed: GO AWAY! I HAVE NO MONEY TO GIVE YOU! AND EVEN IF I DID I HAVE NO BUTTON TO PRESS TO GIVE IT TO YOU! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE BEFORE I ACCIDENTALLY FORGET I HAVE MY BLADE ENABLED AND STAB YOU IN THE NECK!

Oh god, you've encountered the beggars. You have my sympathy.

It does get fixed by AC2, you'll be pleased to hear.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 04 Sep 2013, 04:33

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:That pretty much describes 70-80% of my games list. Now, when I hear good things about a game my first thought isn't "I wonder if I should buy it" it's "I wonder if I already own it".

Oh god, you've encountered the beggars. You have my sympathy.

It does get fixed by AC2, you'll be pleased to hear.

Or AC Brotherhood...or AC Revelations...or AC3
you have a long road ahead
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 04 Sep 2013, 04:55

It did lead to one amusing moment when I had to assassinate a guard as part of a mission - the beggar lady was crowding me but I managed to get up to the guard and eliminated him and all the time she was shouting at me to give her money and didn't run off.

Oh and there was one where one of them was on me and I climbed up a building and she threw a stone at me.

Somewhat annoying...

Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 04 Sep 2013, 05:06

That series is so strange, it tries to give you as much freedom as possible while embedded in a historical background.
But they also appear to be trying to frustrate you as much as possible in the smallest of ways.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 04 Sep 2013, 05:13

Well they did give us a fantastic moment in ACR when for a mission you had to beat up a bunch of minstrels and dump them naked in a well

So i guess it's only 98% frustration :P
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 04 Sep 2013, 06:57

Hepheastus wrote:Well they did give us a fantastic moment in ACR when for a mission you had to beat up a bunch of minstrels and dump them naked in a well

So i guess it's only 98% frustration :P

Speaking of which I was considering buying the Ezio trilogy (AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations). Is it worth it though?
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 04 Sep 2013, 07:42

I would. Except I can't. As I don't have a PS3. But if I did I would.

Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 04 Sep 2013, 11:31

For all my whining, I would actually recommend the Ezio trilogy.
Brotherhood introduced optional objectives though, which are both frustratingly easy to fail and don't actually reset when you revert to a checkpoint before failing.

As an overall experience each of the three games is great, but after the second one you'll want to either give up on completing it 100% or prepare to have your brain dribble out of your ears in frustration.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 04 Sep 2013, 12:37

As a stern completionist I would be very much frustrated, it seems.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 04 Sep 2013, 12:44

Bebop Man wrote:As a stern completionist I would be very much frustrated, it seems.

As another stern competionist, I can say that yes, yes you would be. Some of the 'secondary objectives' are stupidly hard. One, where you have to make your way into a huge castle without being spotted even once, made me rage due to how annoying it was.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Sep 2013, 13:31

I try to be a 100% completionist.
But sometimes there are some activities which I am simply not good at. Then I will walk away.

My younger-self was a 100%ist. But series of 'not being able to 100%' has eroded myself into a modest player. I'm grateful for even having the attention to finish a game.

Some games you can't 100% without GOING INSANE FROM BOREDOM. You can't 100% Kingdoms of Amular or The Elder Scrolls (as examples; two different reasons).

Return to “Video Games”