The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Feb 2015, 05:08

What game you talking about, Willis?
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 01 Feb 2015, 12:21

That sounds like Mirror's Edge. Or it could easily be one of the new Assassin's Creeds I haven't played.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Feb 2015, 13:07

Is Empath's surname Willis?
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 01 Feb 2015, 13:19

Yes. Empath "Don't put that in your mouth, Dark, it's been in the dog's mouth" Willis.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Feb 2015, 19:39

Mirror's Edge is one of those games everybody hated yet I'm inexplicably attracted to it. Is it worth the purchase? I know it's supposed to be short but I don't mind if it's good enough.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 01 Feb 2015, 23:30

I got bored with it. It didn't seem a bad game, just not up to the hype and definitely not my thing. If you like parkour games, go for it.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 02 Feb 2015, 07:07

Yeah, love parkour. And Mirror's Edge's seemed like the kind that requires actual skill, as opposed to the contextual stuff in Assassin's Creed. Not that I'm against it, but I like gameplay that looks pretty AND poses at least some sort of challenge. AC's is connect-the-dots kind of parkour.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 02 Feb 2015, 13:56

Mirrors Edge is also a lot of "guided" parkour as you don't really have a whole lot of freedom. But it's a pretty nice game, and worth dropping a few bucks on if you like parkour games.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 02 Feb 2015, 14:36

The one complaint I've heard is that it gets repetitive, but if you don't mind that, or you're really into the game's style, go for it. :)
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Feb 2015, 14:43

I don't understand how I tolerated playing the same game constantly when I was young. I guess I had no choice since new games were drip fed to me... so maybe I had a better tolerance of boredom then.
But I find I need a change of activity after 1-2hrs.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Feb 2015, 16:03

Honestly, that's a fair point. But maybe you're at the stage I had for a while. Because I had so many games, I wanted a little of everything and appreciated nothing.

Go back to your roots. Enjoy the games you know you love and try the same genres of the game you've already played. That way you can at least stick to the same game.

Now I don't ask what old game I want to play. I ask what genre I want to play and find a game I have that I haven't played yet. So instead of Street Fighter and Guilty Gear, I play my Blazblue.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Feb 2015, 01:35

My laptop limits what I can play, which is a frustration. I can only play what I already own.
Right now I swing between WoW (questing/running 5mans/mucking around) and RCT 2 because any other game runs horribly (Skyrim/Heroes of the Storm) or I've played to death (Age of Mythology).

I want to play a great RPG game.

I need to sort out the mouse acceleration in Fallout New Vegas. I'm too lazy.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 Feb 2015, 15:09

Spend a day fixing it, spend a month playing it. It is worth it.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 04 Feb 2015, 05:30

Why is it that fighting game end-bosses always have to have at least one completely bullshit move? Master Hand from the new Smash Bros has the 'card trick' that I find cheap and super frustrating. Especially due to the fact that, if you end up on one while stunned or similarly recovering, you're just straight dead. The final boss from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax has an attack that punishes you for being up close, which is the only place you can really do damage, and every attack throws you to the other side of the screen. Which means trying to get to the boss side without getting hit. Maybe I'm just bad at these games.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Feb 2015, 08:35

I hated the final boss of Torchlight 1. Its difficulty curve was a sudden jump. Also, if you died, you could respawn at the start of the boss fight again for a gold penalty and the boss resumed its HP. So the final boss fight felt more like a spreadsheet where you'd press down a few times. Save. Load up the file again, and resume pressing down until you saved again.

I would be pissed off if you had to start it from the beginning.

But I'd prefer an easier fight/the game being better at channelling you into a more efficient build and you have to restart the boss fight from the beginning under failure. That's fair.

What's the point of having stupid hardness if it's undermined? What's the point of having out of context difficulty?
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Feb 2015, 16:51

I know it's Nintendo's right and all but... charging people for uploading Nintendo LPs and reviews on YouTube? Also forcing you to clean your channel from all non-Nintendo videos lest they take a cut of them as well? Or otherwise making you create a separate channel exclusively for Nintendo content?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 09 Feb 2015, 17:06

From my understanding, you could register every game separately with their system. But I agree, Nintendo's stance on Youtube videos is pretty archaic. Though I don't think they've quite yet 'grasped' the entire idea behind the internet and it's place in the gaming industry overall.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Feb 2015, 17:14

How does one of the largest multinational consumer electronics company "not quite grasp" the internet?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 09 Feb 2015, 17:36

It's just the overall way they've handled things like Youtube videos and their internet functionality that make me think that. It feels like they've consistently been behind their other systems in terms of internet functionality since it became a thing. The Wii barely had any solid internet support besides the eShop from what I remember. What little I played online was pretty awful. The fact that they didn't have a system in place to even do a simple patch was bad. This was shown pretty well by the Metroid: Other M glitch where people needed to send them an SD card with the save in order to have it fixed.

The Wii U seems to be about on-par more with the Xbox 360 and PS3. Though they've gone in a bit of a different direction. They seem more focus on building a forum and community than direct interaction. Messaging and chat with friends seems to be kind of clunky. They've certainly improved a considerable amount with it compared to the Wii though. Games are more plentiful, they're trying DLC (which seems to be pretty fairly price from what I've experienced), and have a built-in patching system that downloads them automatically.

For the 3DS, I've not played much with it. But I know friends have had a lot of lag with even big titles like Smash Bros. Their patching system is a bit annoying. You basically have to go into the store and 'buy' the patch like a game to download it. But at least it's there. It's a solid step higher than the DS was, which I remember having a lot of trouble with due to it not being able to connect to higher-level security wifi networks.

Mind you, this is based on what I've seen, so I could be missing more than a bit. It just seems like they're being a lot slower to actually implement things than they should be. It feels like they're playing catch up rather than helping push internet functionality. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have a Wii U as it's the only system with a really solid focus on single-player more than anything. But it does mean there are some frustrations.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 09 Feb 2015, 17:45

I wonder if it's a Japanese thing? I don't really know a lot about Japanese internet culture, but it's one of the last countries where Internet Explorer is still the most used browser.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 09 Feb 2015, 19:07

Sony is Japanese as well, if I'm not mistaken. But I suppose you could say that Nintendo is more tradionally Japanese if that's the case. Or that Sony, unlike Nintendo, has to focus on a broader range of technology due to being more than a game developer. I'm honestly not sure.

I think a big part of it is that Nintendo seems to want to focus on the games rather than becoming an 'all in one machine' like the other consoles. That's why I mentioned it isn't necessarily bad. That's a big plus to me. And I do believe they are starting to understand that a large part of gaming to a lot of people is being connected. It just seems to end up in them being a bit slower to pick up on advancements outside the games themselves than other companies.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 09 Feb 2015, 19:18

Speaking of wanting to be more than an "all in one machine"...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/30/first-nin ... r-4927991/
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 11 Feb 2015, 07:01

Not frustrated with a game, but rather parts of the gaming community;

I'm on the fence about Evolve, so I've been trying to find some decent conversations about it, to determine if it is worth the investment and that has been.. difficult. A lot of conversations I've seen have been dominated by discussions about the DLC policies for the game, which I understand aren't great, but there is a level of vitriol there that is just.. excessive. It feels like a large group of people have come to a conclusion about the game (everything it does is evil) and have tried to basically work backwards from there.

There is, and I kid you not, a controversy about the inclusion of the word "Hunting" in the season pass name. Like the issue is that it is a "Hunting Season" pass and not a Hunting "Season Pass" and that somehow means something? The idea is supposed to be that 2K is actively misleading people because a "real" season pass should include every DLC, but.. Borderlands 2 was also published by 2k and had a "Season Pass" with no additional words (though it could have just as easily been a "Hunting Season" since the main characters were Vault hunters) and also didn't include every single DLC for the game. Lots of games have season passes that don't include everything, it is nothing new. The official product description explains exactly what it does contain, and is short and to the point.

While it might be just a tiny bit misleading for a small group of people; it definitely isn't enough to justify the sort of conversation halting vitriol being spewed and it just frustrates me to no end how often certain communities grind to a halt over a largely fabricated controversy solely to support the hiveminds pre-determined narrative about a game/developer/publisher.

Also: Everything that has come to light about Godus in the past few days is horrible. Molyneux should be deported to Snorsh.
and now; back to me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Feb 2015, 08:14

Taken me almost 3 hours to do my "daily tasks" in WoW across 4 characters.
I don't do it every day because it takes this long. But when i do it, i do mourn the loss of time.
I'm actively working hard in the game to cut down the amount of daily crap I need to do. It's helped that I don't need gold at all.
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 11 Feb 2015, 15:16

ANeMzero wrote:Also: Everything that has come to light about Godus in the past few days is horrible. Molyneux should be deported to Snorsh.

Interesting... I'd like to hear more about this. I know there's been rumors of Molyneux having overly grandoise visons ever since his days at Bullfrog, but if there's an article I'd like to read more.

Return to “Video Games”