The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
CaptainEnder7
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby CaptainEnder7 » 11 Jul 2013, 06:16

empath wrote:Stopping playing an RPG for a few months due to holidays/events/etc. then coming back to it and having no idea what you were planning to do storyline-wise or character-build-wise... Image

I've tried 3 separate times to play through Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II (from my old GBA copy) and each time this happens. I have no idea where I was going or what I was doing when I last played the thing.

"Ok, so, some sort of well-dressed ostrich. What's the next move?"

"CaptainEnder7: Space Asshole and Rogue Space Pooper" - Kathleen (and Graham) Commercial
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Jul 2013, 08:41

empath wrote:Stopping playing an RPG for a few months due to holidays/events/etc. then coming back to it and having no idea what you were planning to do storyline-wise or character-build-wise... Image
I do this every time I pick Dungeon Siege back up.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Jul 2013, 18:02

Oh and this:

JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 11 Jul 2013, 18:12

Randomly: The first mission of the Saints Row 3 DLC "Gangstas in Space" is stupid difficult. STUPID difficult.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 11 Jul 2013, 19:50

Just wait until you hit Brutina. :(
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
empath

Postby empath » 12 Jul 2013, 06:04

Yeah, I had to repeat that mission a couple of times, which is unusual.

I actually found that the second...'jungle arena match' in Genkibowl absolutely confounded me - for the first time ever in the whole game, I got lost. Repeatedly. Bravo to Angry Tiger, I guess? :)
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 Jul 2013, 06:31

The worst part is I got 100% of the game in the Game of the Year Edition, did every mission on my phone and don't even REMEMBER that! Nor did I get achievements for it! So either it's missing on my game or I somehow missed it!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 12 Jul 2013, 15:24

I got it. I thought it was like Weird Science and repeatable and they used the same name twice. I did it again just to make sure.

Loved it! Can't wait for the fourth!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jul 2013, 06:53

Niche Personal Vent

I don't know what to use for my Troll Priest's Transmog set in World of Warcraft.
(In World of Warcraft, you can now apply the appearance of a piece of equipment onto another. As long as it's same: slot, armour type, weapon type, uncommon rarity or above (but not legendary))

The reason being:

Priest: Holy. Robe Wearing. Caster
Troll: Superstitious. Voodoo. Jungle. Skulls.

Any Priest-like gear doesn't look like something a troll would wear.
Any Troll-like gear doesn't look priesty.
It would be fine if he was Shadow (evil priest) specc. But he's a healer (so holiness).

There isn't any overlap at all. And also, I don't find troll erotic, so I can't just sort out a kinky set of armour (don't judge).
Transmog lets you choose your appearance. But I'd rather my character's appearance made-sense. In keeping with who he is.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 Jul 2013, 00:54

I just finished my first full game of Civ 5. Something like 500 turns, so many hours it's not even funny, and I ended up losing because someone else got a cultural victory. Due to being on another continent, I couldn't do anything without starting about 3 wars. Worst part is that I was pretty close to a science victory. Not bad for my first full game. But losing after all that and having to invest so much fucking time is actually really demoralizing.
empath

Postby empath » 18 Jul 2013, 09:23

Dude, you survived that long? Gratz!

*thinks back*

Shiiiit, I must've been playing Civ II for like a month straight before I managed to pull off a win - kept trying for a tech/science/"space race" victory only to have this warmonger steamroller everyone, or that oily car-salesman talk everyone into a diplomatic victory, and eventually said "fuck this shit!", retooled my people's state into a war machine and stomped everyone. It was a good while before I could send my colony ship off to Alpha Centauri - heck, I'd gotten Sid's spin off game of the same name and won at THAT one ("transcendence") before! ;)

So don't feel bad, it's a pretty steep learning curve, and the added dimensions of cultural (and possibly religious) victories to worry about, it...well, it'll take anyone a while to learn the tricks and secrets to win.

As for me, I've played three times so far since getting it cheap - first game I aborted maybe ten or twenty turns in when I realized I crippled myself (stupidrazzlefrazzletechtreerazzlingfrazzlingchangingeveryrazzlefrazzletime) and stopped, then the second game I was working on using culture to overwhelm my neighbours, when a warmonger chewed me up inside of a hundred turns, and the third game...I'm winning (I'm in the reniassance while the opponents I know about are still mediveal, and I want my space ship ;) ) but I put it on hold to get back into FNV...

Anyway, "good luck storming the castle!" :)
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Jul 2013, 12:11

I'm finding levelling my Paladin in World of Warcraft hard.

Basically, the reason being is that I've already levelled a tonne of characters.

I've levelled on of each class to level 83 and above. I've levelled 5 to level 90. I've levelled an additional shaman to level 90. I've levelled an additional Priest to 80. I've levelled two Paladins to level 80. One carried on to 85. This current Paladin will be my third and it's level 42.

Lets just say I really feel the grind because the game rewards me with very little in till I get to level 90. It would help me if the guild I was in was more sociable towards me. They're friendly, but I don't have many real connections. The few I do connect to understandably don't play 24/7.

Basically I spend my free time playing DC Universe Online because it's a fresh experience for me.

I think GW2 might eventually hurt World of Warcraft significantly because every time Guild Wars 2 releases new content, none level-capped characters will scale-upwards so they can participate. So as a player who's well-used to levelling up content, the freshness of this content keeps you playing.

I mean, it's nice with World of Warcraft that I aren't committed to play. The problem is, the things that I 'sort of am committed to do everyday' feels like work rather than play. What's this? Gather 20 bear arses to research a random exclusive recipie? A fun gamble turned into a job. I'd rather log my Flying-Duel Wield-Lightning Blasting Villain and rip Green Lanterns' heads off.

I think that is why I always enjoy trying new MMOs because I am always seeking freshness. It annoys me that the World of Warcraft social groups I always get involved with are too stubborn to shift from WoW. It's understandable that the comfort-blanket of familiarity is good. But that blanket is starting to get mouldy due to stagnation.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Jul 2013, 15:33

empath wrote:*snip*

To be fair, I specified my first full game for a reason. :P I played through one other time before that, but I hadn't played the tutorial for a long while. And in that one, I was doing good up until Spain betrayed me and steam-rolled over me. And even then, I almost came back, but made a big mistake (not taking a peace treaty when I had the chance due to the fact I was pissed off).

That game, I got pretty lucky, but in a way that ended up making me unable to defeat Ghandi before he got a culture victory. There were three seperate contenients, which I didn't realize until near the end. There was only one other civilization, which I was seperated from by a bottleneck that I kept defended. Only once did they go to war with me, since they got a town near me. And in that case I was able to see them gathering forces there and prepare.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 19 Jul 2013, 18:30

Rogue Legacy. What's the point of upgrading my attacks and defenses if, every time I do, EVERY monster in the castle gets their attacks and defenses upgraded? I still kill in two hits at level 50 things I killed in two hits at level 1. I live slightly longer, but that's because I'm BETTER at the game, not because my character is any more powerful. I'm so sick of not being able to get anywhere. I haven't even beat the first boss, and the one time I looked at a guide, the only thing it said was "You should be able to defeat the first boss at level 20." Not hints, no "This would be a good class and spell," just "it's easy". Blah.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
empath

Postby empath » 19 Jul 2013, 19:30

THAT.

Not just for this game, but MANY games down through the years; walkthrough/guide writers assume too much. Or they simply leave out small details by accident...that can cripple any usefulness they try to provide.

I should NOT have to respond "Okay, but HOW?" when reading a guide or walkthrough...
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 21 Jul 2013, 00:52

Kapol wrote:I just finished my first full game of Civ 5. Something like 500 turns, so many hours it's not even funny, and I ended up losing because someone else got a cultural victory. Due to being on another continent, I couldn't do anything without starting about 3 wars. Worst part is that I was pretty close to a science victory. Not bad for my first full game. But losing after all that and having to invest so much fucking time is actually really demoralizing.

My favorite LP'er usually plays Pangea games for that specific reason. If you have multiple continents there is a big chance of another player running away with the game, no matter your skill level.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Jul 2013, 01:44

Eh, I prefer contentients. But my main experience with the series before this was Civ Revolution, which I really, really liked.

New vent though. I really dislike Hotline Miami. And it makes me a bit sad. The gameplay seems pretty solid and the story is actually somewhat interesting... but it's incredibly dull, the enemies instantly react and kill you, and death is entirely meaningless. The aiming system is kinda shit for guns. And if you're not using guns, you're likely just going to die by getting shot. I'm guessing there's supposed to be some way to sneak through it, but that seems flimsy at best. And I hate the hyper-violence it seems to revel in.

It feels like there's a strong core, but it just leads to a game I dislike quite a lot.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Jul 2013, 05:24

I seem to lack the attention span for any games at the moment. I play a game and then in my mind I get the impulse to play a different game.

I mean, it's good I'm not being absorbed and losing my life but, I'm on holiday and losing my life for a fortnight is fine. And also, I'm not achieving anything at all in any game. Since time is wasted switching game, and working out what I am doing
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 07 Aug 2013, 03:51

Kapol wrote:I really like Dungeon Defenders.
...<very valid points, go read this post on the first page if you haven't already>

What really bugged me in Dungeon Defenders, because I also really like it, is that the console versions are so neglected compared to the PC version.
I'm not talking about the massive amount of extra levels, playable characters, weapons and the holiday events they're getting (though some of that would be nice, you know?).
There's glaring bugs in it, which have been known since launch and haven't been fixed despite several patches.
The most pressing is that of the firing rate of projectile towers, which is especially problematic if you're playing as the Apprentice. They hard-capped the firing rate to one shot per second, yet don't rebalance anything to take that into account! >_<
The cheapest tower for my Apprentice is supposed to fire almost 3 shots per second, which would make it actually relavent as a tower (since each individual blast is quite weak) but it's currently just unusable on anything but the easiest levels.

I find it frustrating that a game can get so much attention (the console version DID actually get 4 separate DLC packs and two large patches), but not fix such glaring errors (or at least try to work around them with a rebalance).

Mara.

PS -
Hmm, I like the idea of this thread :D
Next up, when I'm frustrated again, the ending to Gladius and why it made my heart die.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Aug 2013, 14:04

Mara Kalat wrote:What really bugged me in Dungeon Defenders, because I also really like it, is that the console versions are so neglected compared to the PC version.
I'm not talking about the massive amount of extra levels, playable characters, weapons and the holiday events they're getting (though some of that would be nice, you know?).
There's glaring bugs in it, which have been known since launch and haven't been fixed despite several patches.
The most pressing is that of the firing rate of projectile towers, which is especially problematic if you're playing as the Apprentice. They hard-capped the firing rate to one shot per second, yet don't rebalance anything to take that into account! >_<
The cheapest tower for my Apprentice is supposed to fire almost 3 shots per second, which would make it actually relavent as a tower (since each individual blast is quite weak) but it's currently just unusable on anything but the easiest levels.

I find it frustrating that a game can get so much attention (the console version DID actually get 4 separate DLC packs and two large patches), but not fix such glaring errors (or at least try to work around them with a rebalance).

Mara.

PS -
Hmm, I like the idea of this thread :D
Next up, when I'm frustrated again, the ending to Gladius and why it made my heart die.

Oh, I know that feeling for sure. Apparently the issue was supposedly the way Microsoft handles updates (it's said they charge a lot, which would be understandable if the company wasn't getting so many sales from PC, Playstation, AND Xbox, and it isn't an excuse for the playstation version), the way that the engine runs the game on the other systems (not a very valid excuse in my opinion since they should have foreseen updates), and general stuff. Yet they were able to patch it when it became about selling DLC... hmmm... And even that patch didn't actually fix everything.

I have both versions, and the PC is just far better. They honestly shouldn't have bothered with the other versions with how much they half-assed them if you ask me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Aug 2013, 02:40

People who murder discussions about Video Game Logic.

Maybe I want to discus why a fire ball can fire through water without someone being a smart-arse and saying IT'S A FUCKING VIDEO GAME. MAGIC FIRE.

Maybe we enjoy exploring the Science in this fantasy world. Stupid Video Game Puritans.
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 09 Aug 2013, 03:17

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:People who murder discussions about Video Game Logic.

Maybe I want to discus why a fire ball can fire through water without someone being a smart-arse and saying IT'S A FUCKING VIDEO GAME. MAGIC FIRE.

Maybe we enjoy exploring the Science in this fantasy world. Stupid Video Game Puritans.

I loved how fire spells actually didn't work under water in Morrowind :D ...I forgot if the lightning spells also functioned differently, or if the sequels kept this stuff in.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
empath

Postby empath » 09 Aug 2013, 13:04

Damn, now I want to suspend my playthrough of F:NV (again) and go play Morrowind again. :P
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 09 Aug 2013, 13:31

And after I beat The Witcher, I have to try to plow through the starting of Morrowind to see where this good part is that people love so much. The combat is just so bad at the beginning. I imagine it becomes much better later on but I struggled to kill a fish with an iron dagger!

Hell, I modded it enough. Might as well give it a thousandth try.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Aug 2013, 14:18

I thought what people loved about Morrowind was how deep the world was.

Return to “Video Games”