The Definition of "Sport"

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Re: The Definition of "Sport"

Postby RedNightmare » 28 Dec 2013, 05:35

It's an interesting subject that really comes down to what the definition of sport is? I always try to check how chess is viewed. If that's considered a sport, it's hard to leave E-sports out. If you want to stick to overall fysical exercise being a requirement to call it sport, then E-sports wouldn't apply. But then, that would be why we call them e-sports and not just sports :P

@Merrymaker_Mortalis: Yes, casters really need to learn to keep the casual viewer in mind more. While watching The Internationals 3 I was quite annoyed by them saying "BKB", while the items full name "Black King Bar" can be said just as fast.

If E-sports want to grow further, they need to find ways to attract viewers, not just players.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 30 Dec 2013, 07:34

I think with discussions like this, exactly as with art, the definition is always recursive. "It's sport only when people view it as a sport".

Not very useful for definition purposes, but probably the best one out there.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 31 Dec 2013, 15:17

Drecon wrote:I think with discussions like this, exactly as with art, the definition is always recursive. "It's sport only when people view it as a sport".

Not very useful for definition purposes, but probably the best one out there.

Indeed. I only value these conversations if they can force a moment of introspection that examines why and how we see things. And I say "forced" because trying to get that from an audience these days is usually like pulling teeth.
TheMoatman
First Video: How to LRR

Postby TheMoatman » 12 Jan 2014, 21:34

Duckay wrote:The Australian Sports Foundation defines sport as follows:

“A human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion and/or physical skill, which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive and is generally accepted as being a sport.”

I would argue that this does, in fact, include e-sports, especially those involving several things going on at once and rapid decision making. In this situation, reflexes and speed, as well as the knowledge of what to do, are extremely important. If we consider speedrunning an e-sport (arguable, but that doesn't really matter to my point), a runner could have a frame perfect glitch or hit they need to make. This requires the physical speed to pull off. Or in a different expression of physical ability, take the example of League, where the game average is somewhere between 45 mins and an hour and a half. During a tournament, a team could conceivably play a few games a day, and you need the conditioning to maintain not only mental ability, but the competitors need the conditioning to keep going at max potential.
Sorry if that was ramble-y, I'm tired but can't go to sleep
ETA: Looked it up, average LoL game time is a bit over half an hour. I guess my games just end up longer.

Return to “Video Games”