Pokémon X and Y

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Pokémon X and Y

Postby Kapol » 12 Oct 2013, 17:55

Is there any way to find out if the starter's IVs are good right away? I got a female Fennekin like I was hoping for. But the stats seem... low. 20/10/9/11/13/11 with a Gentle nature and Quick Tempered characteristic. The attack being so low when the characteristic is attack-focused also worries me.

...and it annoys me I'm this worried about it. :/
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 18:01

Kapol wrote:Is there any way to find out if the starter's IVs are good right away? I got a female Fennekin like I was hoping for. But the stats seem... low. 20/10/9/11/13/11 with a Gentle nature and Quick Tempered characteristic. The attack being so low when the characteristic is attack-focused also worries me.

...and it annoys me I'm this worried about it. :/

I don't think the tools exist right now. I think Fennekin will be a Special Attack based pokemon anyway, so maybe that's where your problem is.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 12 Oct 2013, 18:44

If you're seriously worried about IVs, you're a breeder anyway, so just go for a Ditto and start breeding. Don't worry about IVs until you're breeding. I doubt anyone hardcore enough to check their IVs has ever entered battle with a Pokemon they didn't breed themselves, anyway. Just enjoy the ride the first time through the game. You only get to enjoy the game once and after that it's the IV/EV grinding game which is fun its own right, but is really a different game.

I'm enjoying the game so far. I've had to turn off 3D occasionally because I was getting a little ill (I can never sit still), but otherwise, all the reviews have been right. This is sooooo much easier than previous games, but somehow I don't care. I have strong Water/Fire/Grass to start off which could probably see me through nearly the entire game on their own.

Trading is enormously improved and is legitimately useful. I'm psyched and just trying to be patient on the trading front. I swapped my Froakie for another Froakie to get the bonus XP and same with my Pikachu and others. I love me some bonus XP and Korean names. :) If there's a lottery game somewhere in the game, I'll be set up for it right off the bat.

Protip, while trading at the bottom of the alphabet when you're searching for Pokemon to trade for there's a "What Pokemon?" option. This allows you to manually enter the name of a Pokemon that you haven't seen yet! You can search for a Mew right off the bat - obviously, you can't trade for it, but you can search for it. Case and spelling matter! "ABra" won't find an "Abra" for trade.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 12 Oct 2013, 19:10

Big questions to those that have played it, is x/y worth buying a 3DS for? I stopped playing pokemon after it moved to the DS because everything since Ruby looked like shit. It would cost me 300(AUD) to get an XL and the game. Thoughts?
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 19:26

nicholasmc1 wrote:Big questions to those that have played it, is x/y worth buying a 3DS for? I stopped playing pokemon after it moved to the DS because everything since Ruby looked like shit. It would cost me 300(AUD) to get an XL and the game. Thoughts?

Don't buy a 3DS for one game. I don't really care how good the game is. If you're looking for a game to add to a LIST of games you want to play that will make the system worth buying though... I've played about 8 hours of X/Y so far, have really enjoyed myself, and have only beaten two gyms. It's a Pokemon game. If you enjoy Pokemon games, you'll like this one, because this is a Pokemon game.

On the hardware side, I've really enjoyed my 3DS. I got Monster Hunter awhile ago, because I had enjoyed playing that on the Wii, and I've played SO much Monster Hunter. The 3D slider ensures you don't get a headache from the 3D (because you turn it off when you start feeling ill), and there are a lot of smaller things that feel like an upgrade from a regular DS. The various little StreetPass things can be fun if you're nearby something like a college campus, and the SD card slot is very useful, allowing you to download games from the Nintendo Store. All in all, I feel like it's a good machine.
Do a Pivot Table!

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Oct 2013, 20:05

I'm with Lurkon. So far, the new game seems good in pretty much every aspect. But I'm now obsessed with getting my fox back to at least those stats since I erased my data stupidly. :/ So I'm not that far.

But I'd recommend buying the system for just one game. Now, if there's other games that interest you either now or later, I'd say it's worth picking up. I mean you would get access to Super Smash Bros when it comes out, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensai 4, Animal Crossing, and a bunch of other good games too. But it's all based on interest.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 12 Oct 2013, 20:36

Kapol wrote:I'm with Lurkon. So far, the new game seems good in pretty much every aspect. But I'm now obsessed with getting my fox back to at least those stats since I erased my data stupidly. :/ So I'm not that far.

But I'd recommend buying the system for just one game. Now, if there's other games that interest you either now or later, I'd say it's worth picking up. I mean you would get access to Super Smash Bros when it comes out, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensai 4, Animal Crossing, and a bunch of other good games too. But it's all based on interest.

Not listing Bravely Default is clearly grounds for treason. I WILL HAVE YOUR HEAD, KAPOL. *Only if you're offering.

Anyway.. I kind of want to see what the exclusive Pokemon are for each game, 'cause seeing as I have both X & Y.. It'd be interesting to see how I start off. Also, seeing as I'm kind of new to the series again, the "moods" and "psychological stats" of each Pokemon is rather new to me as well.. And I'm a whore for numbers and neat stats, so I'm most likely going to be going insane.. Lord knows I did with Chocobo Raising in FFVII, FFIX and FFXI.. Moreso in FFXI, because dat shit is permanent. No save files, because MMO and all, it marks any decisions in absolutes.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Oct 2013, 20:42

My advice? Do NOT look into IVs or EVs. Otherwise you will never be happy. My poor fox has been reset multiple times now and I feel bad. :(
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 20:47

On the other hand? EVs are super easy now.
Do a Pivot Table!

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Oct 2013, 20:48

Yes, but IVs... not so much.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 12 Oct 2013, 20:59

And for someone whose last Pokemon game was Silver.. I do not even IVs OR EVs. I just don't even. I am unable to even what they are. I actually had to Google "IVs and EVs".. So now I know EV is Effort Values. Progress~!

Either way, with my two games, I'll probably go two alternate starter paths. Just have to remember which starters I tend to find more enjoyable..
Last edited by MattAn on 12 Oct 2013, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 21:01

Kapol wrote:Yes, but IVs... not so much.

Yeah, but I enjoy the breeding. I've never enjoyed the EV-Training.

Actually, something I've always really enjoyed is taking requests. I'll ask a friend what kind of Pokemon they'd like, within reason, and see what I could breed. The last one I did was a Bouffalant with 31 Attack IV, probably a 31 Speed IV (because I like speed), and a complete moveset. I believe it was Giga Impact, Wild Charge, Headbutt... I can't remember the fourth move. I still had to hatch the egg in order to check natures, though. I can ensure the correct nature if I only pass down one IV nowadays... In some cases that might be worth it. I'm looking forward to getting my breeding stable set up on Pokemon X. Currently I can't breed anything, not even in the older games (because I started transitioning, and never finished).
Do a Pivot Table!

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 12 Oct 2013, 21:02

IVs (if it's anything like previous gens) are a pain in the arse. EVs are just time consuming (though not any more? Cool). Also, in previous gens, IVs can only increase each stat by 31, at level 100, which is only significant if you're doing serious battling.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 12 Oct 2013, 21:07

MattAn wrote:And for someone whose last Pokemon game was Silver.. I do not even IVs OR EVs. I just don't even. I am unable to even what they are. I actually had to Google "IVs and EVs".. So now I know EV is Effort Values. Progress~!

Either way, with my two games, I'll probably go two alternate starter paths. Just have to remember which starters I tend to find more enjoyable..

The game is fun to play without any kind of knowledge of these underlying mechanics. I find the game gets more interesting later on when you do know about this stuff, though.

So, the simple explanation:
IV: Your Pokemon's individuality. Some Pokemon are faster than other Pokemon of the same species. A Charizard with an Attack IV of 4 has 2 more Attack at level 100 than a Charizard with an Attack IV of 0. (numbers may not be accurate, this is close, though) IVs go from 0 to 31 in each stat.
EV: Your Pokemon's training. Each Pokemon earns EVs from defeating other Pokemon. For example, you get 1 speed EV from defeating a Rattata, and 1 defense EV from a Geodude. Each 4 EVs in a stat correspond to 1 point of that stat at level 50.
Do a Pivot Table!

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Oct 2013, 00:10

I FINALLY got a female Fennekin that I think I'm going to be happy with. It's initial stats were (I believe, since I leveled up before looking) 20/10/10/13/9/12 with a Rash nature and a love of eating. I think it'll make it a solid special sweeper.

But moving on from that, having gotten forward, I can say that I like how much more streamline the opening is. You start with the running shoes. That was always something that pissed me off before, waiting to get those to actually move at a decent pace. You get your pokemon and put into the fray within 10 minutes if you don't dawdle too much. Not only that, but you have access to pokeballs right away, and the game gives you 10 to start with.

So, so far at least, I'm loving how much faster the pace of the game is.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 13 Oct 2013, 00:53

For me the time from the start of the game to the game being perfect was either 0.3 seconds or 20 seconds, depending on whether you count the character creation screen. A+, Would Travel The Length of Kalos to Hear That BGM Again.
Also, solid character customisation.

(I went with the Grass-type starter, and am not even regretting it yet!)

Though, has anyone else got up to the bit with the castle? There's something definitely dodgy going on there.
You've just found an obnoxious rich guy's lost Dog pokemon (Froufrou) in his lavish garden, with the help of your opposite-gender NPC neighbour.
The rich man decides to throw a fireworks party in honour of this glorious occasion.
You and opposite-gender NPC watch the fireworks together.
She said to me that she'd remember these fireworks forever, because she watched them with me.

Yep, I'm pretty sure we just went on an actual date.
But the best part is where the butler shows up and gives us TM 17 (Protect). I'm pretty sure that was a metaphorical condom. :P
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 13 Oct 2013, 01:03

... I never thought about it like that.

... How old are we anyway?
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Oct 2013, 01:18

My only gripe at the moment besides cardboard cut-out trainers but 3d-rendered mates, is:

My Pokemon seriously out level the pokemon I am encountering via trainers:

They're level 22, and I am fighting level 15s.

Also, my group has 3 fire types. Which is my fault for loving Blaziken, Charizard and the FIREHAWK. Might drop Charizard for the Ygendary.

Charmander learning Dragon Rage at level 16 is a joke. Barely any Pokemon in till level 16 have over 40hp.

Reminds me when I bred a Dratini with Dragonrage to sweep through the level 19 bracket of the Pokemon Tower in Crystal.

With the changes to the rendering in battles, it's a shame some Physical-Contact moves aren't physical enough. Tail whip is a ranged Twerk.
I would have liked to see my Pokemon being whipped by a tail.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 13 Oct 2013, 02:54

Charmander learns Dragon Rage at Lv 16?
Why the hell did I pick Squirtle?! :P
I mean, I was facing an Axew, and my Level 27 Pokemon had trouble vs. Dragon Rage. Only Azumarill could survive more than 2 hits.
The difficulty curve is a little easier this time around, but to be honest I prefer it that way. Back in the days of Hoenn, you had level 6 wild Pokemon next to the gym where you had to train up to battle a level 14 Nosepass, and it was ridiculous. Took ages.

(Incidentally, I was considering doing the Nuzlocke Challenge for Pokemon Y, then I realized that I'd have to forgo all the Mega-Evolutions, not to mention the legendaries. Still, not one of my Pokemon has fainted in the game yet, so I'd be doing pretty well if I was.)
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Oct 2013, 03:04

The camera when you're in the primary city is a bit of a dick. It's either not looking where you want it or makes you feel travel sick.
-
I hate the EV and IV systems. It makes casual enjoyment of multiplayer-battles difficult.
I don't mind the pre-battle planning with min-maxing.

I mind silly methods which are used to achieve min-maxing; breeding to get the correct nature, breeding to get the correct stats. Fighting against the correct mobs.
Really? I understand you get to the top by putting in the extra effort. But there's a difference between working hard, and working unrealistically hard.

I'd rather focus on having an efficient skill-set on 6 Pokemon.
-
Wild Wobuffets are dicks.

They have an ability that stops you running away. They learn counter/magic coat and have high durance.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 13 Oct 2013, 06:54

WAYF wrote:Though, has anyone else got up to the bit with the castle? There's something definitely dodgy going on there.

Oh geez. I thought the romance thing was odd, but I didn't get the Protect thing. You're totally right.
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Also, my group has 3 fire types. Which is my fault for loving Blaziken, Charizard and the FIREHAWK. Might drop Charizard for the Ygendary.

My party includes Charmeleon, Fletchinder, and Litleo at this point. Water types I have to leave up to my Frogadier... There are a lot of water-types for my water-type to beat up against. :( My Tyrunt is no help, of course, as he is a rock type.
Do a Pivot Table!

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Oct 2013, 08:15

Do the wifi event for MEGAtorchic.
-
I've just got badge 3 and my average Pokelvl is 36. I wonder how high it'll go. Or if I've been too good.
-
I've reached the grass gym and now my all fire team is utterly suited.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Oct 2013, 11:44

Arggg... I want to pick Charmander, but I already have a Fennekin and I don't need two fire types in my party. But... dragon and fox. :(

I really like Fennekin's evolution's animations. Like I used ember, so it pulled the stick out of it's tail and threw a fireball with it. I thought that was pretty neat.

I caught my first shiny of this game already! A shiny Ladybug.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 13 Oct 2013, 12:05

Pick up a STEEL or POISON type move!
Sylveon has some stats, apparently. Ouch.
Do a Pivot Table!

LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 13 Oct 2013, 14:35

I really love the roller skates. I shouldn't be having so much fun with them.

Return to “Video Games”