WildStar

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

WildStar

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Jan 2014, 13:45

Is anyone interested in this MMO?

Its graphic aesthetic feels like a World of Warcrafty-Torchlight.
The setting is Fantasy Future, so lovely Cyberpunk Fantasyness.
Combat is like Guild Wars 2, but it has a resource system.

And it's in Beta.

What's really interesting is that it uses EVE's subscription model.

You can pay normal sub fee rate.
Or, you can buy a unique currency. You can sell this currency for in-game gold to a player. That player can then use that currency to pay his subscription fee.

So you can pay with IRL Gold. or if you play a lot, pay your sub fee with in-game Gold.

Basically that makes it already be 1+ against World of Warcraft.
I'm just hoping server transfers aren't as evil as WoW's.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/#page1 if you're intergued.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: WildStar

Postby JackSlack » 19 Jan 2014, 16:43

I love the ideas of it.

Just... Mac. It does not do Mac. :(
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 19 Jan 2014, 21:56

I'm very excited for this but the payment scheme worries me a little bit. It assumes that people either have money and little time (i.e. people who work full-time) or have time and little money (i.e. people who are unemployed or employed part-time). However, that leaves out one major demographic: the student. I'm a full-time student and as a result I'm both poor and busy but I enjoy MMOs. How much effort will earning that CREDD take me? Can I afford that kind of time? Obviously they won't care because poor people aren't great sources of revenue, but I do really want to play this game.

Also what if you stop playing for a bit? If I pay the upfront cost and then leave after a couple months, presumably I'd have to pay an additional $15 just to be able to play a game I've already invested at least $60 in. I appreciate that they need the money for content updates and such but will they regulate the price of CREDDs, or might it end up skyrocketing as more and more play2pay people compete for a limited supply?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jan 2014, 01:29

I found on World of Warcraft I could earn "lazy gold" by using the Auction House to sell commodoties. I would spend about 30mins a day, and earn a considerable amount of gold.
So if you're a student, and sharp, you probably could earn lazy gold by simply logging on for 30mins a day and use the Auction House.

I think you can also pause and resume sub fees at anytime.
-

Basically, in my opinion with an MMO, I'd rather play a "Sim Buisness Game" than aimlessly grind for gold.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 23 Jan 2014, 00:59

ding ding ding!

Worst vacation ever.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 04 May 2014, 19:21

It's been a while since anyone posted here. Has anyone had a chance to try out some of the betas?

I signed up for the past (well, current) beta weekend and though it's still running I can't bring myself to continue. I'm kind of disappointed. The aesthetics are nice, the races and animations are fun, and I want to like this game but the beginning is just so bland I can't stand it. It's like WoW and TERA had a baby that was subsequently launched into space. That's how I feel about Wildstar.

It's WoW-like in its focus on raids and dungeons later on, and from what I hear that part is pretty fun and apparently innovative, though in all honesty I never got that far. I can't get past the same-y grind-fest that is PvE. I'm no WoW vet but I did play it for a bit in the WOTLK era and leveling in this feels a lot like it did then: an endless supply of kill x of y and fetch quests.

It's like TERA in its combat system, sort of. TERA had the good sense to use a reticule system where moving the mouse moved the camera. Wildstar still makes you right-click to move the camera while casting abilities you have to aim. This is just kind of annoying I'll admit, and there's a mod out for it that changes it to a reticule system but the combat doesn't really feel very dynamic as a result. You can cast some abilities while moving but it's really awkward to cast, aim, and move around at the same time. And at least TERA has autoattacks so you can still do damage while you focus on positioning.

Another issue is nothing feels particularly rewarding. Yeah, I get some money, xp, and/or gear from completing quests, but none of it feels particularly substantial. And for some reason the gear in the shops is consistently worse than the gear you get from questing. I was level 5 and decided to buy some of the level 5 gear in the shop only to complete a quest and receive a better version for the same level. That was really weird to me. Why sell gear at all? It's hard to pinpoint what it is exactly but there's something about the whole experience that lacks any sense of purpose or achievement.

Also it's really irritating to go to an area, do a bunch of quests, turn them in (often far away from the quest area, only some quests can be completed remotely) only for the quest-giver to give you even more quests for the same area. I found myself backtracking often and it frustrated me to no end. It really ruins any sense that you're making progress.

Perhaps my problem is that I'm an anti-social MMO player who likes soloing games that are meant to be a social experience. As a result the promise of "good raids/dungeons later on" doesn't really appeal to me. I was reading some other reviews and a couple people said it best (paraphrasing): if I'm sinking money into a game I want it to be a fun experience the entire time. The PVE content isn't fun (to me, anyway). The promise of the game being fun after x amount of hours put in isn't really enough.

I really lost interest in this game. I would rather play GW2, a game I've already played to death, than keep playing this.

That's just my two cents though, what are your opinions?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 May 2014, 01:46

I played the Beta but couldn't get much objectiveness from it.

My computer couldn't handle it running on "looks OK" settings. So I either had to play it at OK with awful FPS or play it as "colourful fuzz" at decent FPS.
I can't get the game with this system as I wouldn't enjoy it. I'm not a graphic fiend, but it's nice if the thing I am looking at looks clean.

I played the Engineer only as I wanted to play the Esper in live, so didn't want to spoil the game as it. The Engineer didn't do anything for me.

Wildstar has awesome videos. But game didn't get be riled with the few seconds I had played it.

It just made me sad that my laptop is so now out of date.
CSt
First Video: cHustle: Arms Race

Postby CSt » 05 May 2014, 04:12

My brother has access to the beta and basically he said the same thing:
Not playable on his laptop. Which is strange since he still plays most releases on "acceptable to high" settings. So his impression: "Maybe in a year, when I have a system that can run it properly", which can kill an MMO.
Even worse: When he played it on a high-end loaner he just said that it wasn't ready for release. Which is a shame, because he liked it very much, until he actually got to play it. And me not having played it at all, I still like concept, graphics and what I saw of the systems.
But I highly doubt it will be successfull.
Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Trippzen » 05 May 2014, 05:45

Wildstar hasn't been fully optimized yet because it's still in beta. It's a lot better now than it was a few months ago though so they might be in the process of optimizing it as it's expected to release in a month.

As for quality, I can't wait for it to be released so I'm probably as biased as it gets.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 May 2014, 09:30

I had to uninstall Wildstar beta for disk space. To play those F2P MMOs Vindictus and Atlantica.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 27 May 2014, 15:44

I kept meaning to try to get into the Wildstar beta but forgot. BUt after watching a whole bunch of videos for it, I am so totally stoked. I just bought it and I'm trying to figure out what class/race/path I'm gonna start at launch and they all sound so fun I don't know which one to do.
Image Image Image
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 May 2014, 02:04

I really would like to play it. I just hope they optimise the game more. It's difficult for me to get involved in a game playing at 10FPS. It's difficult for me to get into a game that plays at 17 FPS but everything is fuzzy.

Otherwise I'm going to have to blow my Welsh Assembly Grant next year on a Desktop.

I like the mechanics of the Esper. It uses the Rogue Combat Point system from WoW and Rift, but it's a mage caster. Which is a perfect MMOClass combination.

I'm slightly disappointed with the Settler Path system. It's very much collect X Bear Batteries to erect a Bear Beacon for Buffs.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 31 May 2014, 05:50

Just started a Mordesh Medic Explorer on Warpath (PvP) I assume guilds are a thing in this, and I will probably end up making one. I would like it to be named something that LRR fans will recognize, but still has appeal to outsiders. Like Bearsharkocalypse. Though that one might be too unwieldy.
Image Image Image
Sampy
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Sampy » 02 Jun 2014, 13:48

I'm on Caretaker Exiles as a Stalker (DPS for leveling but wanting to tank). I'm playing in the guild for Cohh Carnage (a Twitch streamer) but if any runners want to hang look me up.

I'm Faenia
LambMower
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby LambMower » 20 Jun 2015, 02:23

In light of the Humble deal and the game going F2P soon we are diving into it again. We have a guild on Jabbit EU up and we have about 7 people so far with more joining. So if you wanna get into it and picked up the humble bundle, join us!

Add Lezua Hellstorm in-game for an invite
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 20 Jun 2015, 08:07

Important detail: We are playing Dominion.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jun 2015, 08:45

I didn't understand the Humble Bundle thing. I clicked the link of the promotion and I got to dead ends. So I said "ef it".
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 20 Jun 2015, 10:46

Oh. It's on the EU server. That's why I couldn't find it. -_-

EDIT:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I didn't understand the Humble Bundle thing. I clicked the link of the promotion and I got to dead ends. So I said "ef it".

Did you end up buying the bundle?
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jun 2015, 11:13

No. Was never offered to buy it.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 20 Jun 2015, 15:34

Well, I think the bundle ended sometime last night.
Trippzen

Postby Trippzen » 21 Jun 2015, 06:14

I purchased the bundle but I already own the game (played for a while at launch). Would I be able to give away the key? As far as I can tell it's just a key code so I think I should be able to if Merrymaker wants it.
Trippzen or Scy
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Jun 2015, 07:26

I can't justify paying a subscription fee at the moment.
Trippzen

Postby Trippzen » 21 Jun 2015, 09:35

Ah, I thought it had already gone free to play. Not till the Fall I guess.
Trippzen or Scy
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 21 Jun 2015, 13:29

You do get a free month with it. Don't need a credit card for that (once it asks you for that, just close the browser window)

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 24 Jun 2015, 00:39

So, are there any Runners on the NA server Entity(PvE) I could roll with?

Return to “Video Games”