Minecraft Seeds.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Omega696
First Video: Checpoint

Minecraft Seeds.

Postby Omega696 » 25 Jan 2014, 12:25

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Temporal Interval of choice.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Minecraft, but James... adventures/miss-advebtures??... inspired me to get it and have a go.

I was wondering does anyone have any favourite Seeds or know any good Seeds that have decent resources that would be good to start with to, you know, cut my teeth on?

Also any tips or tricks for getting started would be muchly appreciated too.
I tap my Mana and Summon the all powerful Slifer the Sky Dragon!

... What do you mean I can't... Oh right MTG...

Fine, in that case, I tap my Mana... Royal Flush!
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: Minecraft Seeds.

Postby Prospero101 » 25 Jan 2014, 12:34

Here's the tutorial I wished I had when I started playing.

1. Find a tree.
2. Chop down that tree with your hand. Just keep clicking it.
3. Hit E. Put all that wood you got into your little crafting space and crank out some wood planks.
4. Make those planks into a workbench. Just fill the spaces with the wood.
5. Make a pickaxe. This is done with two sticks arranged vertically on the workbench, with three blocks of wood planks on the top row.
6. Mine some stone and make a better pickaxe.
7. Make a shovel. Two sticks and a block of stone down the middle.
8. Dig a hole and seal it behind you.
9. Cower until morning.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 25 Jan 2014, 13:22

9. Don't cower, keep digging (stairs-wise, not vertically). Unless you're very unlucky you should hit a cave or mineshaft before bottoming out. Caves can be dangerous because they're always dark and hostiles will spawn. However, they can only come from a few directions. It's fairly simple to wall off and light up a section of tunnel you like the look of and live there for a while.
10. You have brought some wheat seeds. No, reading the wiki is not cheating. Trying to figure out crafting recipes by yourself is a great way to not figure out any crafting recipes.
11. Poke around the wiki randomly
12. Wandering around your cave system is a good way to find resources early in the game. And learn combat. Once you have a good amount of iron and coal, you'll be much better equipped to... do something else.

-If you live underground too long you'll find that the thing you're short of is wood (and food). This is why you hopefully find and abandoned mineshaft.
-You can fish in any amount of still water, anywhere. It's just boring.
-One of the most effective weapons is a bucket of lava. Dump it on whatever is bothering you and run away. You should also carry a bucket of water in case this does not go well.

You asked about world seeds, I don't think they really matter. Resources aren't going to be much easier or more difficult to find no matter what.
Just make a random world and wander around, see if you like the look of the place.
If you're using the 'spend the early game in a mine' technique, you don't have to worry about making a house before nightfall, so you've got plenty of time to look around.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 25 Jan 2014, 13:31

NebulosDisconcertion wrote:9. Don't cower, keep digging (stairs-wise, not vertically). Unless you're very unlucky you should hit a cave or mineshaft before bottoming out. Caves can be dangerous because they're always dark and hostiles will spawn. However, they can only come from a few directions. It's fairly simple to wall off and light up a section of tunnel you like the look of and live there for a while.

Covering is a fine option when you're first starting out. Though a better option (to me) is to use the pickaxe and find a nearby cliff, then build a small house inside. There should also be enough wood left over to build a door.

The problem with just going by the steps as they are is that neither of you never told him to/how to build torches, which are necessary for cave diving (though not cowering). And if you want to build a cave house like I suggested, you're going to need them as well. The easiest way is find some coal and mine it out with the mentioned pickaxe. It's a stone with black spots in it. If you find some, you just need to put the ooal on a top square and a stick (which to make a stick is to put a wood plank above another wood plank in the crafting area) in the crafting area. One coal on top of one stick makes 4 torches. that should be enough for a house, but you'd want a LOT more for cave-delving.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 25 Jan 2014, 14:17

I'm a fan of the home dug out of a cliff myself too.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
owl+ bungee cord= my arse
First Video: I do not remember it was years ago.

Postby owl+ bungee cord= my arse » 26 Jan 2014, 04:09

-When exploring caves or digging a tunnel pick one side of the wall to place torches on. If you place torches on your left hand side while going into a cave then to find your way out just make sure the torches are on your right. Useful when you come across multiple splits in a cave.

-Never make a Diamond Hoe

-Never spend too long in a village with out earplugs. The villagers squidward sounds will drive you mad.

-Carry a bucket of water with out so you can place a water block on a high edge so you can safely descend using the water flow.

-Make a bed, sleep in it at night to skip the night and set your spawn at the bed.

-Never get into a staring contest with Herobrine.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Jan 2014, 06:15

I prefer water blocking to make Lava underground safe.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Jan 2014, 11:07

owl+ bungee cord= my arse wrote:-Carry a bucket of water with out so you can place a water block on a high edge so you can safely descend using the water flow.

I personally carry two buckets around with me, just to be safe. Water elevators are certainly one of the most effective methods to get up and down large drops without having to dig out a thing of stairs.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 27 Jan 2014, 02:33

I tend to stumble out of water elevators on long ascends, so i still prefer digging out stairs.
Omega696
First Video: Checpoint

Postby Omega696 » 27 Jan 2014, 04:42

Cool thank you for the tips.

Looked up the water elevator, that one sets my fear of heights off. The same when James was building his monster farm, the way you can 'hang out' over the blocks backwards, essentially in mid air, is enough to give me the heebie-geebies.
I tap my Mana and Summon the all powerful Slifer the Sky Dragon!

... What do you mean I can't... Oh right MTG...

Fine, in that case, I tap my Mana... Royal Flush!
NebulosDisconcertion

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 27 Jan 2014, 19:50

Well... maybe Minecraft will help you confront your fear in a safe environment?

In case you don't know how to do that*; while holding shift to crouch, you'll be unable to walk off the edge of the block. This is super useful for a variety of reasons.

*And I don't know if James explains it because VGwVJ isn't on youtube yet and in fact there have been no uploads to youtube in a week.
(Twitch doesn't fit into the tiny tube through which I must pull all my internets)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Jan 2014, 05:04

NebulosDisconcertion wrote:In case you don't know how to do that*; while holding shift to crouch, you'll be unable to walk off the edge of the block. This is super useful for a variety of reasons.

*Puts on best old man voice*

Back in my day...
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 28 Jan 2014, 08:33

NebulosDisconcertion wrote:In case you don't know how to do that*; while holding shift to crouch, you'll be unable to walk off the edge of the block. This is super useful for a variety of reasons.

You would not believe how many times forgetting to do this has fucked me over royally.

Seven. It's happened seven times.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 28 Jan 2014, 11:33

I don't believe it. I bet I should add atleast a zero behind that figure to get closer to the real number of times :-P
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 28 Jan 2014, 13:54

Shut it, Dutch guy, before I sic Master Gunner on you.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Jan 2014, 14:15

Actually, I'm with Dutch Guy on this one.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 28 Jan 2014, 14:24

But...but....the DUTCH!

AGAIN!!

NebulosDisconcertion

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 02 Feb 2014, 15:06

Master Gunner wrote:*Puts on best old man voice*

Back in my day...

I don't know exactly when I...
No wait, November 2010, it appears.
I remember playing a lot of the free in-browser indev in April though.

Return to “Video Games”