Factorio

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Factorio

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 01 Aug 2014, 14:24

A friend went completely insane on Facebook recently, and after enquiring as to the reasoning behind his impression of a One Direction fan he presented me with this: Factorio. It clearly borrows heavily from Minecraft, in that it's a game in which you build machines to mine resources and craft things, but from the demo alone and their trailer even more so one can see the whole thing has got amazing potential to scale up as more and more options and machines become available; even more than the likes of Minecraft, the potential for large-scale computing-style products is tremendous.

Also, hostile planet wilderness setting. So there's that.

The demo should keep you busy for about an hour, and it's pretty fun- I can appreciate a lot of the mechanics involved. Anyone else got any thoughts?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: Factorio

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Aug 2014, 21:01

Yeah, someone took Feed the Beast and/or Tekkit and called it a separate game.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Fraszoid

Postby Fraszoid » 26 Feb 2015, 03:37

I played the demo, then acquired the game and played around with it a bit. It is a lot of fun to build overly complicated assembly lines and try to automate things so you can focus on building up your base. Some of the mods they have are quite fun and add a lot of new items and upgrades to the mix. The enemies scale with how much you pollute the planet with industry and how you power things. Steam is cheap and easy but those boilers burn coal or oil and pollute, just like the furnaces to smelt ores. That will attract enemies to break your stuff unless you kill them first. You have to be careful, level 3 biters are the hardest to kill of the enemies and will bite you in half if you aren't careful. It also has multiplayer now so you can play with friends.
Kajamakuji
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Kajamakuji » 14 May 2015, 10:59

I found the game pretty amusing. After watching some streamers play I ended up acquiring it. The game receives fairly regular updates though slowly. Trying to improve your factory so you can produce more things so you can improve it does make satisfying loops. Also messing with trains and tanks is just fun. I had my fill of it though and just kind of watch as the updates trickle in so I dont burn myself out before they complete it. Worth a look I'd say.

Return to “Video Games”