Getting into Fallout

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Getting into Fallout

Postby Firbozz » 05 Aug 2014, 15:53

Hey folks,

A couple months back I got through System Shock 2, largely thanks to your advice. I've determined it's time for me to get through Fallout, so again I am seeking your advice. Recommendations as to stat/skills builds? General tips?

Cheers,

Firbozz
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Re: Getting into Fallout

Postby ch3m1kal » 05 Aug 2014, 16:49

Glad you enjoyed SS2, it is an absolutely amazing game.

Which Fallout are we talking? The original?

Some basic tips for your first playthrough of any Fallout game:
INT 8 is almost mandatory, there are a lot of INT checks, and it also increases your skill point gain per level.
STR is less important unless you really want to go melee. Also keep in mind that power armor comes with a STR bonus.
Everything else is up to you, though I do think CHA is largely useless, as is more than 4 END.

The main skills you need to focus on should be speech, lockpick, repair and maybe science (especially in the 3D Fallout games, since it's used for hacking) + at least 1 combat skill. End game you'll generally be using energy weapons, but don't worry about them from the start, since it takes a while to find any.

Traits: I would suggest either none, or Gifted and maybe Good Natured, if we're talking classic Fallout.

That should give you a good base for experiencing MOST of the content on your first playthrough.
Feel free to ask any additional questions, Fallout is my favorite series ever.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 05 Aug 2014, 17:13

Thanks for the advice. The game in question is the original Fallout.
Also noticed this double-posted, the other post has been deleted.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Aug 2014, 17:21

I would disagree with the idea of Charisma being useless. I mean, don't slight other attributes in its favor, but Charisma can get you out of a few tough spots.

Thing I don't like about the original Fallout (it's a great game, don't get me wrong) is that there is one, singular, correct way to play the game, which is to favor power armor, energy weapons, and high intelligence. That's my personal preference. Makes walkthroughs nice and simple, though.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 05 Aug 2014, 17:36

The high INT power armored diplo-sniper is the optimal build yes, but almost any build is viable, just some are harder to play than others.
I mean you can play the game with <4 INT and have a character who's literally mentally challenged, often leading to hilarious dialogue.

Without going into spoilers, you can shoot the end boss(and optionally get help in doing so), reason with him, or just sabotage his base without ever going near him. Also it's been a few years, but I don't think there are really any mandatory combat encounters. And for the places where combat IS the preferred method, you can always get some followers.

Oh speaking of charisma, the thing to remember is that every 2 points in it lets you have 1 additional follower. There are also a few checks for it, but they're fairly rare.
This is actually a good rule of thumb with all SPECIAL attributes, try to stick with even numbers as you get the various bonuses every 2 points you put into one.

Oh and I completely forgot to mention AGI, which is absolutely vital since it governs your AP. I personally go with 8 or 9 to start, and there are ways later to get increases to your primary stats.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 05 Aug 2014, 18:41

I have to admit, I dislike the original Fallout mainly because I agree with Ch3m1kal: Charisma is kinda useless.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 06 Aug 2014, 01:31

When I've played it I've generally gone for the default character that has high int, charisma etc, mainly for the reasons outlined above.

Although I keep meaning to play Fallout 2 with the dumb muscle character just to get the one conversation where you talk to another dumb muscle character and the two actually have a proper discussion :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Aug 2014, 05:21

Fallout 2 is still one of my favourite games (never played much of the first Fallout though, I don't think I owned a copy as a kid). I doubt I've seen even half the content in the game though - I quickly got into the bad habit of running directly down to San Fransisco to load up on Energy Weapons and Power Armour, skipping over most of the "normal" game progression.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 06 Aug 2014, 06:24

The one thing that always puts me off going back to Fallout 2 is the Temple of Trials.

Every.

Single.

Time.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Aug 2014, 06:25

yeah, that 'tutorial' gets boring pretty quick. :(
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Aug 2014, 07:28

Boring, but I can do it pretty much blindfolded.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 06 Aug 2014, 08:58

The Temple of Trials is a poopy butt, but at least it's over in about 30 minutes and you've got the whole world to explore after it.

I've always had mixed feelings about which Fallout I like best. 2 is huge and detailed and the sheer amount of stuff to do and see in it is just absurd.
But the more I think about it, the more I think 1 has a better story, with more moral ambiguity, a better main villain and a generally more consistent and coherent world.
NewtC
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby NewtC » 06 Aug 2014, 11:42

Technically, you can skip the temple of trials if you know the right codes, but it's not advised to since you get a fair amount of starting XP in it.
grimAuxilliam
First Video: The Plan

Postby grimAuxilliam » 12 Aug 2014, 00:19

Oh man it's been far too long since I've played either of the two early Fallouts.

What I can remember is speech is really good, because quests and stuff.

Speed is fairly good, because why shoot once when you can shoot three times.
Incidentally, you can get a maximum of 12 action points by maxing agility and taking two action boy/girl skill things, which is more than the number of led lights on your pip-boy 2000. This is specifically end game stuff, but later on you can get a plasma caster, a heavy energy weapon, which takes 4 AP to fire. I maxed my speed so I fired 3 shots per round and pretty much liquified my enemies.

Oh, and even if you are using your followers as inventory mules, don't let them hold onto grenades.

Return to “Video Games”