LRR: The RPG (Possible Fan Project)?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

LRR: The RPG (Possible Fan Project)?

Postby TStodden » 01 Sep 2014, 23:10

Filing under "Crazy Idea with NO PLANNING or proper resources", I'm just throwing out the idea of the fans potentially making a LRR-related RPG of some sorts. Using RPG Maker as the base, just to keep things relatively simple (as doing it from scratch is just crazy for the moment), make something that we would want to play.

The premise I was going with this idea was related to Snorsh in some way as a starting point... Like Kathleen gets abducted by some Snorshian Spies, believing she's the lost member of the Snorsh Royal Family which Graham & crew has to go rescue her for some reason (like there's a curse on the Royal Family that requires a sacrificing one the princesses or something).

An alternative starting point would be to rip off the Wizard of Oz & place it in Snorsh. How we get there, why we're here or HOW to get back would have to be explained in the story. -- While I'll note I'm bad at endings (however, decent with beginnings), but it's at least a starting point.

We could possible get Featherweight to create some artwork for the game (either free or via commission, depending on how comfortable we are with opening wallets) so it isn't totally cookie-cutter & some of us should know how to work RPG Maker XP or VX for production. Probably the on resource we have an abundance of would be Quality Assurance (aka play testers)... but getting it just right without become a quagmire of lost productivity is the challenge.

Just to make it clear, I'm not taking the project lead on this... If somebody else has more time to dedicate to it, feel free to take my ideas & run! I'm not litigious (as the majority of the stuff I public carries CC licenses), so if somebody want to make this a reality, go at it & I'll try to help along the way as possible.

Any thoughts on this?
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Re: LRR: The RPG (Possible Fan Project)?

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Sep 2014, 01:35

You are not the only person thinking about this TStodden. I was playing around with making an LRR RPG, once I get around learning RPG Maker (not hard, I know, but still).

My pitch would be making an RPG with the Commodore Hustle versions of the crew being the playable characters and the rest of the world being a smorgasbord of injokes and familiar faces (Johnny, Kain and Crowthorne, Dave's Salesman, etc.). Getting the balance right would be the hard part though, because you want it to be accessable to other people as well.

I'm a little against Kathleen being kidnapped as a princess, because that is just the oldest trope in the book. Only way that would work is if you play as Kathleen half the time fighting her way to freedom (with a lot of filthy language).

I would in theory be prepared to take the lead. But I am unemployed right now and looking for work, so it would be unwise to take on such a responsibility with such an uncertain future.

PS. I'm not that bad at pixel art, so I could make the crew and such. But I bet we have people here who are better at it than me.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Sep 2014, 04:14

I know Valkyrie Lemons has some RPG Maker experience, so there's some potential there. For myself I have no art or coding ability, but would happily do a little QA and design advice as time permits
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Sep 2014, 06:39

I havd designed a LRRPG (puns are funny) an adventure game and a playformer. Need to find those documents.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Sep 2014, 07:46

I knew this felt deja vu-ish, but couldn't remember specifics :)
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Sep 2014, 08:15

Oh sweet Elomin Sha. I would love to see what you made.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 02 Sep 2014, 15:10

I'll put my hand up as another who thought of doing this, but never got around to it. My idea was to call it Desert Bus for Hope, and make it about trying to track down the last copy of Smoke and Mirrors in time for Desert bus (also, then you could run a charity called Desert Bus for Hope for Hope).
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 02 Sep 2014, 16:26

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:I know Valkyrie Lemons has some RPG Maker experience, so there's some potential there. For myself I have no art or coding ability, but would happily do a little QA and design advice as time permits

Yeah, I know how to use RPG Maker (I'm amazed and honoured people actually remember).

I'd say I'm best at designing puzzles, or more specifically designing the mechanics behind them. It's quiet late here, so I'm a bit too tired to look*, but there should be a thread here somewhere with a link to a game I started to make (but it kinda seemed there wasn't much interest in it, so I didn't spend more time on it) if you wanted to have a look at the kinda thing I can make with it.

And there is nothing I love more than someone saying "I want you to design this for me," and trying my hardest to create something with the limited skills I have (I do this at work with Excel Spreadsheets, and it's perhaps the only thing I like about my job). So I'd be more than happy to help.

But yeah, I know how to use RPG VX, so if you need someone to put it together, I'd be more than happy to do that as well.

Aannnnd....I could help with project management, as in the organisation, but I'll admit I'm not to up to date with the 'LRR-lore' and in-jokes so I couldn't contribute much with the story/creative parts of it.

So, in short, I'd be happy to help, although I do start Uni on the 15th, and I'm away next week (In Paris), so I might not be able to help full time.

*I'll post a link sometime tomorrow if I remember.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 02 Sep 2014, 22:26

This is more of a brainstorming / networking thing as I'm supposed to have my soul sucked out tomorrow (otherwise known as "work" for the next four days), so don't take things to seriously for now... There's plenty of time for that later.

As for premise, the princess rescue idea was cliché... but it's OK for the dummy idea. "The Wizard of Snorsh" idea probably has some tread left that could be fashioned into a decent game.

Late night playing an RPG during a massive storm, Kathleen passes out to find herself as a princess in the land of Snorsh. After seeing how horrible things are, Kathleen fights her way out of Snorsh by almost anyway necessary. Other LRR staff find themselves in Snorsh as well without realizing it (Paul posing as a socially awkward techno-wizard... Beej as a greedy merchant, down on his luck... Alex as an outcast hunter, killing weagles with bazookas & machine guns... And so on) & is up to Kathleen to save them all... As well as Snorsh, if she can find the time.

You can probably throw all the memes in there as well & mix in some in-jokes info something that would be interesting to play.

That starting point seems reasonable... but it's definitely missing something, like a master villain... Maybe "The WeagleLord", which just happens to be a crazed David Caruso (again, dummy idea), who wants to see Snorsh fall for his own reasons!

There's bound to be some twists we can add somewhere, but it's at least a start.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 04 Sep 2014, 06:10

You're right TStodden. Right now just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks is perfect. And I really like the "Oz" approach to Snorsh. It al being a dream (or not) and all. Also, with it being a pretty traditional RPG Kathleen really needs to be the main character.

In the interest of throwing stuff at walls, here are my really rough notes with my idea. If anything is unclear, just ask.

Story:
- Old nemesis over LRR is trying to destroy them
- Snorsh Government is sick of them ridiculing their country and takes most of the crew hostage
- The CommodoreHustle characters also make CommodoreHustle with even worse versions of themselves (pure evil). The evil ones are now trying to kill them and take their place
- Paul has accidentally made evil clones of all the crew
- Cam is trying to take over the world and must be stopped

Gameplay:
Standard turnbased RPG system. Modified MP system used by Penny Arcade adventures. Characters start each battle with a full MP bar. Every turn they regain 1 MP [this would cause the fights to be quite early heavy. As in spells get flung around a lot early and then die down. Maybe not the best idea.]

A clear split between overworld map and battles. No random encounters.

Each character has a basic attack, the option to use an item or use an ability [leaving out defend because it makes it more complex where that is unnecesarry]. Characters may even have different basic attacks, though that would best be saved for later characters, not the starting characters.

The party is made up of a maximum of 4 characters. These can be swapped out on the overworld map.

Possible extra features:

Characters could have a specific ultimate attack. A limit would need to be placed on these attacks, not sure what (a lot of MP?)

Combo-attacks: Certain combinations of characters unlock special attacks. These use up MP of both characters and both of their turns, but are very powerful. The combinations would be based on real world connections or affinity of the crew (examples: Graham/Paul, Graham/Kathleen, Alex/Cam, etc.)

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Sep 2014, 06:42

This game is beginning to sound more and more like Stick of Truth.

This is not a problem
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Sep 2014, 07:30

I like the "Wizard of Snorsh" idea, with LRR-memes showing up as the various NPCs. It seems like the kind product of Kathleen's fevered dreams.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Sep 2014, 16:33

I upgraded my design program so the side scroller needs to be remade.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 05 Sep 2014, 02:22

So I had a long trainride home and started brainstorming. Then this happened. I identified 4 themes that we need/could work into the game and that need to be worked out related to theme (we also need to work out gameplay, see further in the document).

The themes are Kathleen herself, it being all a dream (maybe), Snorsh and tons of hints to the LRRverse. They are all based on TStodden’s idea of “The Wizard of Snorsh”.

Final note. All of this is just spitballing. Nothing is final and I would love to have other people input their ideas as well (use color and/or italic to make clear who wrote what). The more ideas we have, the more we can consider once we get going proper. Heck, we might even abandon the Wizard of Snorsh angle at the end.

Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 06 Sep 2014, 11:13

I'm currently inebriated, and so incapable of reading in depth the entire thread, but I'm happy to volunteer myself as another person with a decent amount of RPG Maker experience, a copy of RPG Maker VX and a willingness to be involved.

Once I'm sober and my brain is working I'll have another read through and see what's actually been discussed.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 07 Sep 2014, 13:22

My finger slipped:

(just a bunch of slightly changed presets, but still)

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 07 Sep 2014, 13:30

The sprites gave me an idea; knowing our glorious Snorshian Princess' preference for changing hairstyles, hows about a new colour for each section of the game?
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 07 Sep 2014, 13:54

There is a program on Steam that allows you to create character sprites for RPG Maker.

It's like the sprite creator in RPG Maker, but just with more options.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 07 Sep 2014, 22:00

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:There is a program on Steam that allows you to create character sprites for RPG Maker.

It's like the sprite creator in RPG Maker, but just with more options.

I used Game Character Hub to make this one, that might be the program you're thinkin of. It looks pretty powerful to build completely new sprites as well. I just went with some presets for my first little experiment with the program.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 07 Sep 2014, 22:23

There's also The Charas Project which is an online generator of RPG Maker sprites I used to use back in the day. It's probably outdated now, but it could still be useful to someone...
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 08 Sep 2014, 06:26

I really like the idea of the return of Geoff Howe as the arch villain, and to add in some proper RPG tropes, Geoff has kidnapped most of the LRR Crew and brainwashed them into one of their more villainous video personas (eg. James is turned into Steve, MemeBeej, Jer is the basement Axe guy, Cam is the Surgeon General, Paul is the head of Evil Inc, which could be the smoke screen behind which Geoff is hiding and manipulating everything), and in order to recruit them they each have to be defeated using the relevant macguffin (Warriors of Chaos for Steve, Matt and his half fat soy apple frappuccino from Snorshbucks for the Surgeon General, Canada Man and the canadian Avengers for Evil Inc). We'd need to go through LRR lore to figure out the right persona for each crew member, but I reckon it would give a little more direction to the game, as well as giving plenty of opportunity for LRR references.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 08 Sep 2014, 08:05

Myrph wrote:I really like the idea of the return of Geoff Howe as the arch villain, and to add in some proper RPG tropes, Geoff has kidnapped most of the LRR Crew and brainwashed them into one of their more villainous video personas (eg. James is turned into Steve, MemeBeej, Jer is the basement Axe guy, Cam is the Surgeon General, Paul is the head of Evil Inc, which could be the smoke screen behind which Geoff is hiding and manipulating everything), and in order to recruit them they each have to be defeated using the relevant macguffin (Warriors of Chaos for Steve, Matt and his half fat soy apple frappuccino from Snorshbucks for the Surgeon General, Canada Man and the canadian Avengers for Evil Inc). We'd need to go through LRR lore to figure out the right persona for each crew member, but I reckon it would give a little more direction to the game, as well as giving plenty of opportunity for LRR references.

I sorta like the idea of fighting the crew as brainwashed evil versions, but I than what would they be afterwards (aside from obviously party members)? Are they then their regular real life selves or their CH persona's? Because I think those would both be way harder to write than say a consistent silly character (not impossible though). I do like the characters you are bringing up though.

Also, collecting the Macguffin for each seems like it would get boring fast. But I'm more for making it better than a JRPG

And Geoff really needs to be the main nemesis, hard to pick anybody else :P

Myrph

Postby Myrph » 08 Sep 2014, 08:26

I figure once they're recruited they revert to either the CHustle version of themselves, or else some other less villainous persona/character. Heck, we could do it Persona series style, have each character have their Shadow Persona as described above, then when they are recruited they gain access to their real persona which is a more light hearted/"good" character (maybe gain access to several so Graham can be Dave's Salesman and Canadaman).

Re: collecting Macguffins, I imagine the variety of macguffins, both item and character based, ought to provide enough opportunity for variety, whilst giving plenty of opportunity for world building and story exposition. There's also the potential to have recruitable characters act as macguffins for later encounters, introduce evil paul early, but can't defeat/recruit him until you have recruited the full set of canadian avengers etc.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Sep 2014, 09:22

I dunno - I kinda think of "Dave's Salesman" as the evil Graham-character...or maybe Jonny for the 'good' incarnation...perhaps with the possibility to gain the power to temporarily turn into Canadaman?

I DO like this idea. A LOT.

(also, if you think generally and broadly enough EVERY QUEST, mission, goal, aspiration in every game, movie, book, play, etc. is SOME variation of a 'MacGuffin hunt', so I feel it's kinda weak to complain in that manner; provided the journey to MacGuffinland is interesting enough, most people won't even NOTICE.)
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 08 Sep 2014, 13:19

Yeah, was just riffing on the idea, I definitely think a fair amount of thought and discussion needs to happen to work out which characters would work for this and which side of the line they'd fall on.

Would be somewhat entertaining if the reason that Kathleen was the only one to not fall prey to the brainwashing was that she's already evil as her default state of being, so Geoff's Malevolation Beam (obscure video game reference ftw) couldn't do anything to make her more evil!

Return to “Video Games”