Agar.io

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Agar.io

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 May 2015, 03:27

So this is the game that's kind of become popular. I'm hoping that LRR can play it on-stream sometime. http://agar.io/

The game is simple. You start as a blob, and you are trying to eat other blobs. However, bigger blobs are trying to eat you. It is very similar to Osmos or Tasty Planet, if you've ever played those games. However, the key difference from those games is that this game is multiplayer.

You control by moving the mouse around. There are two keyboard buttons to press at times: W and Space Bar. W ejects some mass in the direction of your mouse. (You do not get to control this mass.) Space Bar splits your blob into two smaller blobs that you control that are each half the size of the original. (You do get to control both of these.)

The game is easy to learn and quick to play. Some options I recommend:

Dark Theme: May be easier to see things
Show Mass: This is kind of just cool to see, I think
No Names: This option is for people who might be easily offended, or streamers that might not want a rando offensive name to pop up on-screen. A seemingly-large amount of the names that pop up are ones that would not be unheard-of on 4chan.

Another feature is that certain names of blobs will give you not just a random color, but a specific skin with an image. The list is here. This can be pretty funny to see, for example, The Moon eating Hitler, and subsequently getting eaten by Doge.

So, due to possibly seeing offensive names, I was wondering if there was a way to set up a private server, just for LRR fans. After finding out that was impossible, I'm doing the next best thing. There's a script you can add to your browser to let you connect to a specific server rather than a random one in a group. I've found a server that seems light on offense, and I'm thinking we can stake a claim on it: 45.79.69.28:443

We can do this if you have FireFox, Chrome, or Opera. What you need to do is download GreaseMonkey, TamperMonkey, or ViolentMonkey (depending on your browser). Then, once that's installed, go to this page to get the script. Once the script is installed go to Agar.io and you'll see a slightly new interface. Put 45.79.69.28:443 in the box and click the little "Refresh" icon next to it, and then hit Play. If we do this right, we'll have a LRR server for ourselves, because randos will be connected elsewhere. :)

Here's a YouTube link to help if you don't understand the script directions.

Several strategies for playing - Click to Expand
When small, hide in viruses (the green spiky things). They'll keep away larger blobs, because if a larger blob absorbs them, they split into many smaller blobs, becoming vulnerable.

Do not be afraid of blobs the same size as you. You just pass right through each other.

Do not be afraid of splitting to absorb a blob about half as big as you. You'll make up the difference.

When running away, either make a straight line away from the larger blob (you're faster), or split, to increase the chance that at least part of you doesn't get absorbed.

Don't even bother going after other blobs until you're at least 40. You can't split until around 30 anyway. After 60 or so, that's when you should start focusing more on other blobs than the food dots.

If you're split, try to grow unequally, so you can reabsorb one of your parts.

Also, I made some LRR-based skins and submitted them to the developer.

LoadingReadyRun - Click to Expand

LoadingReadyLive - Click to Expand

CheckPointPlus - Click to Expand

CreepyDoll - Click to Expand

AwwMuffin - Click to Expand

Edit: So the latest update (allowing teams) kind of broke things with the script, apparently. :|

Edit 2: Script works again. I've changed the server to 45.79.69.28:443
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 18 May 2015, 13:04, edited 2 times in total.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Loslomo
First Video: Can't honestly remember

Re: Agar.io

Postby Loslomo » 11 May 2015, 12:10

Seems like fun, will have to check it out.
"Rise again, rise again. Though your heart may be broken or life about to end..."
-Stan Rogers, The Mary Ellen Carter
jadamelio
First Video: The Cookie

Postby jadamelio » 17 May 2015, 10:00

I'm excited about this. There seems to be an emerging system of teamwork/communication by donating mass to help other escape. I hope that it develops further!
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 11 Jul 2015, 05:47

My latest foray into this game, a few of the top players were just sitting there helping each other out... so I made it my mission to get all three of them out of the top ten... I got two of them off and the third down to 8-9 before I stopped. ^^

No idea how often 'teams' actually form in the game (either before or during), but the volatile diplomacy is fun.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Nov 2015, 11:15

I don't know how long they've been available, but my LRR skins got uploaded! :-)

Valid options to play as now:

loadingreadyrun
awwmuffin
checkpointplus
creepydoll
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “Video Games”