How Katawa Shoujo helped me in relationships! (Spoilers!)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

How Katawa Shoujo helped me in relationships! (Spoilers!)

Postby poopintheairtonight » 19 Jun 2015, 12:28

So I played Katawa Shoujo recently and I noticed that without any input my choices naturally led me to romance...Rin. I found the progression with Rin a lot like my real life relationships. It goes well, almost too well with never really any communication from her as to what she wants from it or me, until something seems to pop up which matters immensely to her, but which I can't understand.

I started seeing how I fail to see what's around me, and where I take people for granted, by watching a character do the same thing in trying to woo these ladies.

I learned a little something from how I feel and interact in a relationship with the rest of the characters as well, but the realization with Rin was startling. So much so I paused the game went away and got something to drink and still felt uneasy. It's not often a game resonates with me so, it feels almost unclean that the game which finally did this year was made by 4chan.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: How Katawa Shoujo helped me in relationships! (Spoilers!

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 19 Jun 2015, 17:04

Despite initial reservations (ie the only thing I'd previously heard about it was that it was a dating sim made by 4chan), I ended up playing through all five endings to Katawa Shoujo and finding it genuinely interesting. I thought the subject matter was dealt with with more respect (and less perverse fetishism) than it could well have been, with the ultimate focus being less on the girls and more on the coming to terms with disability, both theirs and the protagonists's. It suffered from significant structural flaws IMO, and personally I found Rin one of the least interesting characters, but the game does an undoubtedly good job of building interesting characters with realistic and seemingly genuine motivations. So there's that.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Re: How Katawa Shoujo helped me in relationships! (Spoilers!

Postby poopintheairtonight » 09 Jul 2015, 15:32

Oh yes, Rin as a character is quite uninteresting. I don't see what the appeal to her is really other than the mystery and this kinda feeling that there's an aspect to her that you can't ever know because it can't really be communicated.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?

Return to “Video Games”