Civ V Multiplayer

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Civ V Multiplayer

Postby MetricFurlong » 25 Jul 2015, 16:13

Judging from the chat during Cameron's Civ V streams, we have a fair few civ fans in the LRR community.
So I got to wondering, would people be interested in giving some multiplayer Civ a shot? (most likely through Giant Multiplayer Robot, a fan-made pitboss client - although if it turns out scheduling allows for it, standard connection should be possible).

Speaking as someone who had never gone near the multiplayer until last year, it can be really fun, particularly if players get into character as their chosen leader. The trick is just making sure there's a fair amount of communication.

So yeah, would anyone be interested?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Civ V Multiplayer

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 Jul 2015, 23:12

Seems interesting. Not sure about this robot thing, but I'm game.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 26 Jul 2015, 13:30

I'm tentatively willing to give it a shot, but as someone living in the remote-ass-end of the world, scheduling does get a little tricky. So y'know, don't try to derail everything on my account, but *if* things happen to line up favourably for me, then sure.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
i_am_clockwork
First Video: Out of Sync

Postby i_am_clockwork » 29 Jul 2015, 17:20

definitely interested! I am possibly starting a new job soon, so my schedule is a bit in flux, but I'll see if I can fit this into my schedule! :)
I may be the herald of he Machine apocalypse, or I may just be here to eat pie... YOU MAY NEVER KNOW!!!
adi_pie
First Video: Fun with condoms

Postby adi_pie » 30 Jul 2015, 12:13

I'd definitely be down for this, if only to entertain other people with how poorly I play Civ V.
P.S. Why do I feel the people living in the most disparate timezones have gathered in this thread? :P
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 31 Jul 2015, 11:19

AdmiralMemo wrote:Seems interesting. Not sure about this robot thing, but I'm game.

Giant Mulitplayer Robot is a fan made service for 'hot seat style' multiplayer. Sort of like an automated 'play by email' method, only without having to physically locate and email the save files. It has a number of additional features, such as a turn timers and an ability to let the AI play a turn for a player if they're not able to do so themselves.
The tutorial video on the site itself explains it pretty well.

It's useful for games with people spread across multiple time-zones as players don't have to be online at the same time. On the other hand, games played this way take a long time, to the point where it's not practical to play on any speed setting above Quick.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 07 Aug 2015, 09:37

I'd be totally open for this. Admittedly, I've been avoiding my copy of Civ 5 because I find the game as addictive as crack cocaine. But I'm certainly interested in trying out the multiplayer.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!

Return to “Video Games”